• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Teammates get Dockett here — for now

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2010 – 8:07 pm

Darnell Dockett still wants a contract extension. But unlike last year, when he said a “hamstring” injury wouldn’t allow him to practice (as did fellow disgruntled teammate Anquan Boldin), Dockett showed up to work out Tuesday and is taking part in the minicamp. It begged the question, what changed?

“I (lobbied) so much to get Joey Porter in here and I talked to Adrian (Wilson),” Dockett said. “This is like a family and I wanted to put my personal issues aside and just be focused. I feel like I owe it to them. I feel like I owe it to DRC, whos been here rehabbing his injury. I’ve been constantly trading texts with him. I’ve been talking to Adrian back and forth. I want to help my guys get back to where we left off last year. That’s what leaders do. At the end of the day it’s not about the contract situation but moreso my respect for my teammate.”

That may only last so long though. After Dockett (pitcured below with Gabe Watson) expressed those thoughts, he was asked if it meant he would then remain in town for the rest of the voluntary workouts. “As of right now I am here today, tomorrow, for minicamp,” Dockett said. “We’ll call it by the day.”

Tags: , , , ,

41 Responses to “Teammates get Dockett here — for now”

1. By John on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Please pay the man!!

2. By cardinalchuy on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren do you think the Cardinals will look into his contract this off season? You would think they might have learned something from losing boldin and to some extent dansby, don’t you think?

3. By AdamsFan#1 on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren I love your coverage. I enjoy reading your views. Thanks.

4. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Cardinalchuy –

I think the upcoming CBA problems throw a wrench into things. I think they will get something done with him. But I don’t think they will throw their philosophy into the trash just for one player, no matter who the player is.

5. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Adams –

I appreciate it.

6. By Mackie on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

I much prefer this approach to working for a new contract than having a “hamstring injury” like in the past. I like seeing him step up into a real leadership roll. I look at guys like Adrian Wilson who leads by example as leaders, and this is certainly a step in the right direction for #90.

7. By Brandon on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I know this is off topic but i was looking at the videos and the nfl network ones weren’t loading. Suggestions?

8. By Ron on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Docketts contract should be high on the priority list. I understand he has no real rope to pull in this situation… But if Arizona doesn’t take care if their disgruntled premier players, the premier free agents won’t take care of Arizona. Seriously, pay the man please.

9. By Eric on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Thank you for your coverage. The insight and inside look in to the team is appreciated. I’m sure it gets tiring answering the same questions everyday, so thank you!

10. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

As much as the guy is on Twitter, has any teammates nicknamed him “Tweety Bird”?
    And if he sacks Moore/Clausen in the Panthers game, will he exclaim, “I tawt I saw a puddy cat”? “I did, I did!”

11. By smack28 on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

It is pretty simple in my eyes. I have been a life long Cardinal fan (born and raised in St. Louis and now live in Houston), and one of my best friends has been a life long Steeler fan. When the two teams met in the Super Bowl, my friend’s comment was, “Who was that beast making all the plays in the middle?” That beast was Dockett. If the Cardinals let this guy scent free agency, he will be gone. Every team has a need for a player like Dockett, and it would be a huge mistake if this organization ignores the most pressing need – signing Dockett. Get this deal done, he deserves it and has earned it. I know the CBA throws a wrench in the deal, but do you think the Texans let that effect them in extending Ryans to a new contract? Be smart and make a good business decision to pay the man, or we will lose the beast in the middle that everyone covets.

12. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

Give your browser a refresh. Sometimes I need to do that myself.

13. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Ron –

But one of the reasons the Cardinals have headed in this direction is because it has become too easy for players to be disgruntled. They were taking care of players with multi-years left on their deal — Boldin in 2005, Dockett in 2006. What did it get them? My disgruntledness. I think they were hoping those guys would be gruntled a little longer.

14. By Ron on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, don’t you believe the best players at their posistion deserve to be compensated properly. Dockett is easily top 5 talent. He outperformed his contract, even if it was a couple years in it. If we don’t continously compensate him properly, he will find somewhere that will when the oppurtunity comes.

15. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Ron –

I never said what I thought. I was presenting the Cardinals’ side of things.

16. By James on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Darren,no one seems to want to remember how the Cardinals extended both Boldin and Dockett with years left on their rookie contracts.That’s never mentioned.Long before Dockett there was…..THE CARDINALS and long after he leaves there will still be…..THE CARDINALS!It’s about the T-E-A-M,not one man no matter who it is.

17. By Kent on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

We need to keep the D-Train around. If the CBA is holding up negotiations we need to tell him that. Tell him we want to get this done, but we are unsure of the CBA and what it might change, for instance a rookie pay scale might raise the number we are willing to pay him…

Just make sure that Dock knows the team wants to get this done,

18. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad he can be responisble. It shows good character when you do the right thing, even when your unappreciated. Honestly with our free agent signings. and all the rookies we picked up. its gonna be hard to work a new deal with docket. if our #1 pick pans out, we may see a dockett trade. and I hate to say that. I really do.

19. By Big D on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

every one needs to let the team do what they do. get out of other peoples money ya know. whats to say he gets a huge deal done then disappears from the stat sheets? what do you do then? we took care of wilson where going to take care of docket eventually yall need to relax and just show love to your team.

20. By latch on May 1, 2010 | Reply

James,

Well said……..

21. By Don't Take Losses on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Ron, Darren, all: Once you hold the line on the rule, the rule stands. Sounds trite but true. They’ve now got a hard and fast rule, and still attract top talent (Faneca, Porter…are you kidding me??). The new and now established Cards’ system of drafting, competition and clear rules on extensions set them up for the long term, and thats how you keep yer org on top year after year. Imho, this is the most talented, deepest Card club ever.

QB may not be the wild card it seems with Beanie’s emergence, a reconstructed o-line to pound the rock and a different and I expect much tougher mind set on defense.

DD has been much more conciliatory, remember the publicized talk he and Graves had this time last year…different attitude since. He seems to know and act like he will get a big contract when its time. I am admiring DD a lot these days.

Giddyup.

22. By William on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

How many years are left on Dockett’s current contract?

23. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

DRC#1 –

Dockett won’t be traded. Just don’t see it.

24. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

William –

Dockett is signed through 2011.

25. By cardfan82 on May 1, 2010 | Reply

PAY THE MAN!! things will work out!

26. By Ron on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

I tried to ask this in the draft chat a few days ago, but I was too late. Was the Cards pick of Dan Williams more of an insurance pick to replace Dockett, should Dockett not return?

P.S. The new jersey’s are awesome!!

27. By We'll miss Q on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Look I am sorry to be so direct, but Dockett REQUESTED AND SIGNED a contract. Then LESS THAN A YEAR LATER started griping about it. He has 2 years left on his current deal and the Cards could franchise him after that if they wanted. I expect the Cards stay with their stance to NOT re-do a deal with more than 1 year left. Also it would be nice if Dockett could have more than ONE pro bowl year, then expect a huge deal. How can everyone forget he said he would NEVER re-sign if the Cards did NOT break their stance and extend him PRIOR to next year. That is wrong, PERIOD.

28. By Cardsfan928 on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Wait…I like dockett and he is great and all but it’s an awfully long push to say he is a top 5 3-4 DE talent…If we were still running a 4-3 he is a top five DT…but dockett isnt big enough to anchor the middle of a line as a true NT

29. By boon on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I love #90~ with that being said the Cardinals have taken care of those who put their head down and play their heart out. If the man keeps doing his thing the Cardinals will take care of them when the time is right.

Let the Cardinals do what they do. They have turned this team around and I for one am very happy in the direction we are going, and how we have been handling things. Players come and go, but the team will be here.

30. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Ron –

Dockett and Williams play two different positions.

31. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan –

Dockett may be listed as a DT, but in reality, he plays end in the 3-4.

32. By Eazy E on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Dockett is an all-pro as a 3-4 end and as a 4-3 DT. That’s why he is one of the best, so versatile. The cardinals will eventually take care of 9-0.

33. By LUKE on May 2, 2010 | Reply

i beleive docketts approach this year is a much better way to get things done.i really beleive he should follow adub’s influence.adrian wilson is a model player and if he sticks with him,good things will happen for darnell.he must understand the cards want to pay him more to make him happy but its not that cut and dry…

34. By Pipa Piko on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Dockett is one of the best but needs to be more consistent. He has the talent but lacks the inability of finishing. Pay the man but just hope he ain’t like haynesworth plus you with the cards who are known to be cheap!

35. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Pipa –

Known to be cheap why? Because they won’t give your man Deuce a long-term extension at this time?

36. By Scott H on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Hate to ask a question that you may have commented on many times, but how much does the uncertainty around the whole collective bargaining agreement situation affect the liklihood that we will see Dockett’s deal re-done any time soon? I mean, with the possibility that there could be a lock-out in 2011, why are the Cardinals going to rush to extend this contract right now??? Is that situation a significant factor in what happens with Dockett ( and when ) or not really? And since we’re on the topic, has there been any progress between the NFL and the player’s union that is worth mentioning?

37. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Scott H –

If you know I have commented on it many times, why ask again? My thoughts haven’t changed, and if they do, I will blog it. I think between the CBA issues and the Cards’ attempt to wait until a player has a year left to do a new deal, I think that’s why nothing has really been ramped up yet.

38. By Ben on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I say pay the man

39. By Crickettech on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren you commented on what the Cards got by redoing contracts for Boldin in 2005, Dockett in 2006, I think the answer is simple a trip to the Superbowl and another good season following that and we -as Cardinal fans really needed that and as the saying goes YOU PAY THEY PLAY!!!

2. May 1, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com