Wrapping up minicamp

Posted by Darren Urban on May 2, 2010 – 1:38 pm

Well, it’s over, but before I chase the half a day left this weekend, a few thoughts now that minicamp is over for 2010:

– The big thing some fans want to know is who looked good? And who didn’t? The bottom line, it all means very little this time of year. As Michael Adams said yesterday, “Minicamp depth charts don’t mean much.” It means really little for the linemen, who can’t line up and hit. If a quarterback is completing everything, does it resonate even though there is rarely any pass rush? And it’s even more fruitless to pass close attention to the rookies, who aren’t going to have a big impact out of the box regardless because of this team’s philosophy about first-year players. (And yes, there are exceptions. If the QB is terrible or the rookies are awful, sure it might mean bad things. But if they aren’t really bad — which rarely happens — my minicamp “truths” apply).

All that said, you do get a sense of receivers and defensive backs, because they are generally doing what they will always do. And my sense is there wasn’t much to see good or bad. The best receiver, in my mind, was Steve Breaston. The young guys were all decent. No one did anything to stand out from what I saw (although O.J. Jones always seems able to make a play when the ball comes his way).

– Coach Ken Whisenhunt wouldn’t say the Cards are going to run out and get a veteran cornerback. I know there have been reports tying the Cards to 10-year guy Will James, but again, I don’t see the need to rush. Get through OTAs and maybe even get through part or all of training camp before making a move. See what you really have here — and make sure you really sign a guy that can help and isn’t just another guy.

– Speaking of cornerback, Adams made a nice play on Larry Fitzgerald Sunday after being the one beat by Fitz’s dropped bomb Saturday. The best catch by Breaston Sunday came with Adams in perfect position. Those of us on the sideline watching had no idea how Breaston came up with the ball.

– The Cards were trying a bunch of rookies with punt and kickoff returns this weekend, in what looked like an effort just to see if they were OK with the basics. Andre Roberts, Stephen Williams, A.J. Jefferson, Jorrick Calvin, Marshay Green, Max Komar, Alfonso Smith and Juamorris Stewart all took turns catching from the JUGS machine. Those spots have a long, long, long way to go before anything shakes out.

– Dan Williams was working inside on the first-unit dime package, one of the few times a rookie got to play with a first-string group.

I have some other leftover notes to parcel out in the next few days. The charity golf tournament is tomorrow. Rookies are gone until OTAs start May 18. Back to the voluntary strength and conditioning work and, I suppose, the will-Deuce-Lutui-sign-his-tender-offer watch.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to “Wrapping up minicamp”

1. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

NO MICHAEL RAY GARVIN THIS YEAR, DARREN?

2. By Tyler on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Any word on our new safety, Kerry Rhodes? How is he progressing in the secondary and does it look like he is meshing well with A-Dub?

3. By Don't Take Losses on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Good stuff!

Whiz says he is excited about how much some of the new guys may be able to contribute: i read that as Williams and Washington. I’m guessing Roberts iand Calvin are right there too at the end of prerseason.

4. By Alan L on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do we still have Ben Graham as our punter?

5. By Todd on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you know the health status of Cody Brown? Will he be ready to go by training camp? Do the coaches still have high expectations? Since the injury it seems like he has disappeared off the radar but the Cardinals were very high on Brown as a pass rusher until he got hurt. It would sure be nice to Porter and a healthy Brown on the field together getting sacks.

6. By moe on May 2, 2010 | Reply

darren lost the caps hey what happen to the speedster i think his name was micheal garvin he was an olympic sprinter he went down in the preseason and would we be wastimg our time with pac man

7. By ruben on May 2, 2010 | Reply

i think onrea jones is going to make the team last preseason him an matt had a good connection.Did anybody read fox sports they have the cards finishing third behind 49ers and seattle and they have the cards as the 7th worst team in the nfl.i know we loss alot but 7th worst team in the nfl maybe im drinking the koolaid i just dont see that its kind of hard to see seattle with a good draft is already consider better to finish ahead of the cards

8. By OLdude51 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Call me an “underdog lover” but I really like Michael Adams and I think Max Hall is a sleeper. You can knock their size or lack of it but my experience with little dogs and little men are that they can be surprisingly tenacious and tough. You know what they say….”its NOT the size of the dog in the fight thats important, its the size of the fight in the dog that is…” Its obvious that a guy like Adams has overcome a lot just to get to this point in his career. GO MIKE & MAX !!

9. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

CHIRP —

NO NO MICHAEL RAY GARVIN …

10. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Tyler —

He looks fine, given that they have had five unpadded practices.

11. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Alan —

12. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Todd —

Gotta red all the blogs and the stories. I get the info out there: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/05/01/notes-from-fan-fest-practice/

13. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Moe —

Garvin is not coming back.

14. By Lone-Eagle on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I am glad everything went well and no one got hurt. I wanted to bring something up off topic. I don’t know if you realize how outstanding of a reporter/journalist, or whatever your official title is, but I just want to say how great I think you are, and I say it for a reason. I am a fan of all Arizona sports. Diamondbacks and Phoenix Suns as well, however, when I blog something to them, like asking a question or giving my opinion, ther is never anyone to respond. It’s like your comments and concerns fall on def ears. The only individuals that see it are, other fans with the D-Backs and nothing with the Suns. That being said, I think you are awesome because you take the time to respond to the fans, and you tell it like it is. I nominate you as M.V..P. for the off-season. Without you none of us fans, especially down in Tucson would no what is going on. Thanks for everything Darren!!!!

15. By pacardfan on May 2, 2010 | Reply

no Dan K. coming back….little disappionted, but then again, that’s partly b/c he’s a home-town guy from good old Lancaster, PA. I fully understand why he won’t be back, but still would be nice to see him back in a cards. uniform. Any word on if any teams are interested in him Darrren? If I remember correctly, Dockett played FB once or twice in the playoffs near the goal line didn’t he? Like you said, it looks like they want more TE’s which is good to.

16. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

I appreciate that. Thanks.

17. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

paCard —

I don’t know if Krieder has any other interest.

18. By AndyStandsUp on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Any idea of whether or not Dockett plans to participate in the OTAs?
    Or is his “hamstring/esophagus/Twitter button” acting up?

19. By Cardsrep928 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Come on Darren…Enter the era of Cardinals Smashmouth…Black and Blue smack’em around?

20. By ChrisNelson on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I Second Lone-Egale’s Nomination…. You Are Without a doubt, The off-season M.V.P. ! (On that Note i Couldnt Find you during fan fest.. was dissapointed to say the least… Other than getting Russ Grimm and John Lott i was realy wanting your autograph on my copy of madden 10 . But again Thanks for everything Darren!

21. By Eazy E on May 2, 2010 | Reply

We need CBs baddddd!!! Dre Bly, Will James i wouldn’t mind. Even Justin Miller, he is at least a great KR and PR. Bly would be nice because he knows san fran because he played with them last year and he’s a good corner. Will James is alright or we could trade lutui for a good starting cb. We need to do something at CB PERIOD!

22. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

Again, that’s been addressed. Gotta keep up, guys: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/04/30/teammates-get-dockett-here-for-now/

23. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

ChrisNelson —

My autograph would just ruin it.

Just keep visiting the site. ;)

24. By Daniel Enfield on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Was it Dan K’s contract issues or his injury. I didnt ever see anything. Did i miss something.

25. By AZfAn808 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Is Dre Bly in consideration for possible veterans to go after or is it just Will James?
    If Yes, do you see them leaning towards one or the other?
    Thanks for the great reporting

26. By alex u on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Will Justin Miller be at OTA’s or is his tryout done? And I think you talked about every WR on the roster and even last years roster, except Doucet, well in a way you did when you said the NO.4 spot is open, but anyway, did they do some 3-4 WR sets?

27. By Jerrytown on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Darren about the CB position. I think we need to see what we’ve got in Toler and the young guys before we just sign someone on a whim. Plus, by doing that you could end up kicking yourself later if someone who truely fits our scheme gets cut later in the offseason. Let’s be patient before we start crying for more signings and see how everything plays out. After all, the Cards have done a fantastic job this offseason signing guys that fit to fill our needs. I think with Michael Bidwill mostly taking over for Bow Tie we have really turned the corner and can no longer be considered among the cheap skate teams of the league. It just goes to show that Rod Graves is really a fantastic GM when he’s able to make football decisions instead of purely financial ones. Here’s to a great season and many more to come! I’m stoked!

28. By Dave the Optimisitc Season Ticket Holder on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

The black uniforms are so cool! Any chance the Cards will wear the black uniforms more than just twice this year? And what about going forward for years to come? I would like to know before I put my order in at NFL.com.

Thanks so much!

29. By Ctownbeatdown on May 2, 2010 | Reply

How could anyone say that we need a cornerback so badly? They haven’t even put pads on yet. Money Mike had that one bad game against Green Bay, and everyone hates him. It was Antrel Rolle that almost blew the game. First play of overtime, skinny post to Greg Jennings. Rolle was really out of place. Money Mike creates a fumble to win the game. A big part of having a good defensive back field, is making the quarterback uncomfortable. I think thats what the cards are trying to do:)

30. By AndyStandsUp on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, to suggest that we don’t keep up with the blogs would be lunacy.
    That blog stated he’d be in minicamp and would play it by ear.
    My question was, and is, do you know of any pertinent info that would keep him away from OTAs?
    Could it be the contract situation or the chance that he’s illegally stealing his neighbor’s cable?
    A balky leg or a sale at Wendy’s on chicken nuggets and Frosties?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

31. By Skiptim on May 2, 2010 | Reply

WHY THE SCREAMING ABOUT GARVIN, DO PEOPLE ASK ABOUT HIM A LOT?
    :D :D :D
    \:D/

32. By ckersh on May 3, 2010 | Reply

i cant stand some people. whats the deal with all the cardinal haters? i think we without a doubt have the potential to be better than last year. we have a very bright future with schoefield replacing porter when he retires, beanie turning into one of the premier backs in the nfl, dan williams becoming a key part of the defense, dwashington replacing dansby, kerry rhodes is wayyy better than rolle, toler could suprise alot of people, and if leinart underachieves, im confident with andeson or skelton(potentially)

thanks for everything you do darren, i am more excited for this year than any year before. i am a senior in high school and have gone to every home game since i was 6 and games were at sun devil stadium.. i absoultely love the cardinals

33. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Daniel —

Whisenhunt said they just didn’t come to an agreement.

34. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

AZfAn —

I don’t even know if Will James is for sure — that’s just a rumor. We will see. I haven’t heard anything concrete.

35. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Alex U —

Many of everyone’s questions are answered in what I write: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/Evaluating-Minicamp/0100df71-977d-4999-8847-623288140c2a.

There were few multiple receiver sets. That increases in OTAs.

36. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Dave Optimistic —

NFL rules say a team can wear their alternate third jerseys only once in the preseason and twice in the regular season.

37. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

You need to get on his Twitter account to get info from him. I don’t know how many nuggets he eats.

I think it is safe to say, however, that if ends up staying away, it’s probably contract related.

38. By George on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Who was the WR wearing #10 during this weekends Fan Fest mini-camp? He was not listed on the Fan Fest roster.

39. By Jeff Gollin on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren – While it’s true that minicamps seldom can reveal much about “who looks good/not-so-good”, I’m wondering if there are a few drills that might help serve as basis for comparison at some positions – for example, does everyone run a forty? If so, who were the speediest wideouts? Corners? Who got gassed easily/seemed to be in terrific shape?

I believe that there is an evolution of thinking about what to look like in a prototypical CB – moving away from “steady Eddie” zone types like Rod Hood, Ralph Brown and Bryant McFadden towards guys with more raw athleticism who can be aggressive in man coverage (i.e. DRC, Toler and hopefully guys like Jefferson and Calvin).

Mike Adams fits the “aggressive” profile, but the very fact that – as he did with Fitz – he’ll get into perfect position but fail to make the play on the ball suggests that, although he is willing and able to aggressively cover his man, he lacks the necessary height to consistently deliver the goods.

40. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

George —

Deryn Bowser was here on a tryout.

41. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

1) Everyone seemed in decent shape. They don’t do sprints though; the running at the beginning or end of certain practices isn’t full speed.

2) I can’t argue on Adams. But he is the type of player this staff loves — works his butt off, never takes anything for granted, is very good on special teams, is intelligent and yes, contrary to some opinions, has talent. The size thing kills him obviously; watching him play, if he were even 5-11 I think he’d easily be a starter in this league.

42. By Todd on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren thanks for the link but it only discusses that Cody Brown doesn’t look as “lost” as he did last year. It doesn’t mention if he is back at 100% health. I assume then he is since it doesn’t mention anything otherwise. Thank you.

43. By carlo7000 on May 3, 2010 | Reply

darren
    before the minicamp started all the players had the physical ,I want to know if the weight of the players will be updated on the roster page

44. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Todd —

Yes, he is healthy.

45. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

If they are updated on the official roster, I will change them on the website. I don’t know for sure if that will happen.

46. By card62 on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren

We need to sign a cornerback yesterday. Right now this is my biggest fear going into the season. I like Greg Toler and hope he can become not just the starter but a very good starting cornerback in this league, If not in 2010 he will be a great nickle CB. I support the McFadden trade as I did not like his cover skills all year. Even with Toler and an injury free season in 2010 there is no way Michael Adams can be your nickle back or even dime back in my opinion. I know he does everything right, a great team guy, and he is a way better athlete than I ever was, but I watched him last year and he can not be in our secondary next year or we will be hurting. I am a huge fan and do not like to be negative, but we must improve our cornerbacks.

47. By Mikeflorio on May 3, 2010 | Reply

LOL REALLY DARREN YOU DO LOVE THIS URB LOVE FEST!!!! WOW MAN!!!!! I GET IT U DO UR JOB REPORTING THE NEWS> BUT< SERIOUSLY TO BLOCK MY LAST COMMENT. NO SLANDER< NO CURSE WORDS> U LIKE IT THAT PPL ARE SEEKING UR AUTOGRAPH< JEEZ MAN

48. By travis on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Being a native of AZ & an avid football fan, I am so excited about the team that they are putting together. If Leinart pans out, & with the improved line & running game & F/B/D trio, there is no reason he shouldn’t then we should definitely take the NFC West again & be better prepared to play playoff football!! Is it August yet?

49. By wampag on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Cardinals sign Justin Miller
    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2010 3:01 PM ET
    Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn’t think his team needs to add to its secondary, but the Cardinals have added a kick returner who can also play a little cornerback.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Cardinals signed Justin Miller to a one-year contract.

Miller, who was invited to the Cardinals’ recent minicamp on a tryout basis, apparently looked good enough for the Cardinals to think he’s worth keeping around for at least a few more months.

In 2005 and 2006, Miller was one of the best kick returners in football. But after suffering a knee injury in 2007, he’s bounced back and forth between the Jets and Raiders and managed to get on the field for only 12 games in three seasons

50. By darrenurban on May 3, 2010 | Reply

“Mike” —

Which comment did I block?

51. By BigMike on May 4, 2010 | Reply

darren

I was wondering if the picture in the minicamp album (17of20) could be made avaliable at a higher resolution for wallpapers and such. I am not sure If you are the right person to talk to, but I am sure you know who is. It is a great pic.

thanks

52. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

BigMike —

Why thanks. That happens to be a Darren Urban special.

Check your e-mail.

53. By phoenix on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Any Idea how the Cards will finish 2010 w/Leinart at the helm? I predict under 500.

54. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Phoenix —

I think that’s why they play the games.