The right place for Keith

Posted by Darren Urban on May 4, 2010 – 10:02 am

The offensive line talk was of Levi Brown moving to the left side and the signing of Alan Faneca and even the absence of Deuce Lutui. So quietly, Brandon Keith slid into the starting right tackle role at minicamp, trying it on after sitting for his first two NFL seasons. The Northern Iowa product patiently waited for a chance and now, it is here.

“You’ve got to have a plan,” Keith said. “A lot of guys come in (and think), ‘I’m so used to starting’ and then you’re not a starter and everything goes down in the dumps. I always set myself up with a plan. My first year was trying to make the team, the second year was doing what I could to make the team better. Now I want to be a starter and I am in that position. I’m not really blown away by it yet. I am excited.”

Keith played guard all last season, making the transition a bit more difficult. But the whole line is in transition — only center Lyle Sendlein remains constant from last year’s first unit. Brown moved, Reggie Wells moved from left to right guard, and Faneca joined. And then there’s Keith.

“I am a natural tackle but I ain’t going to lie, after playing guard those first pass sets had me kicking and turning every which way,” Keith said with a grin. “But we did some work on that and I am back into the rhythm now.”

Tags: , , , , ,

35 Responses to “The right place for Keith”

1. By Chris B on May 4, 2010 | Reply

I’m excited for Keith. He’s a nice guy too.

2. By dubz222 on May 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know why everyone is worried about Leinart this year. Hes thrived in the run first pass second game at USC. It looked pretty clear last year that Whiz was making the transition with Warner. A LOT more run plays were executed (especially towards the end of the season).
    I’m not worried at all about the cardinals chances of another divisional title. And anyone can talk all the crap they want. When it all comes down to it, it’s just talk. wait until after the 2010 season, then speak your voice.

3. By Don't Take Losses on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Love that big guy. BK having it his way!

4. By FightOn on May 4, 2010 | Reply

@dubz222.. Huh? Matt played in a balanced offense with a more pass than run, the PAC-10 is a passing league, and Matt broke John Elway’s PAC-10 all time passing record…by 20 TD’s! Sorry, you’re wrong on that, but ML did love his RB’s and used all of them fully.

5. By steve on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren: If Lutui comes back in at RG, you think Wells has more of the coaches confidence at RT than Keith?

6. By CMacyn on May 4, 2010 | Reply

LOL at the Burger King nod, Darren how many running backs do you see the Cards keeping on the roster?

7. By AndyStandsUp on May 4, 2010 | Reply

If Keith doesn’t work out, they can slide Wells over to RT and plug Hadnot into RG. But after 3 years, and being a FA next season, you’ve got to see what the kid can do.
    He ‘s got the talent to do it(AP All America Team), but as with a lot of the Cards late draft selections recently, he has red flags attatched. I think Whiz like players with a chip on their shoulder, looking to prove others wrong.

8. By kauaicardsfan on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know this question doesn’t pertain to this article but does the cards have old game footage they can sell ? There were some games I only got to see the highlighted parts of the game cause it wasnt televised in Hawaii.

For example the game where Josh M throw the winning touchdown vs the vikings or the last minute win where Boomer E. came back to win Philly with seconds left in the game.
    They should make a Cards highlight DVD of the best games ever and sell it to the public?
    Maybe you can bring that up to the Mgmt since you are the only person we can actually talk to about it on the inside:)

Mahalo Darren!!

9. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

Great question. I think Keith was always in line with having a shot, but the Faneca signing changes the equation. That’s why Deuce staying away can only hurt him.

10. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

CMac –

Depends. I would guess five RB/FB total, just like last year.

11. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Kauai –

The teams don’t own that footage. I think it is the league/NFL Films.

12. By dylan on May 4, 2010 | Reply

yeah lol ML is a great passer i think he just needs his confidence back and when he did play.. he didn have nearly the line we have now. nor the coaches. and the cards defense was so bad

13. By Casey on May 4, 2010 | Reply

With the 49ers getting a big extension done for Willis amid the uncertainty surrounding the CBA, is it really unreasonable to expect the Cardinals to do the same for Dockett?

Thanks

14. By CMacyn on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren, so do you think we keep both fullbacks, or do you see us keeping Wells, Hightower, Howlings, A Smith, Broughton and or The juggernaut. Thanks foe the info again. GO CARDINALS!!

15. By Mr. Know It All on May 4, 2010 | Reply

BK was a OU Sooner before he transferred to N. Iowa. Now it’s time for BK to step in and step up. When it comes to the Cards OL “Change is Good”

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Casey –

Unreasonable? No. I never said it was.

But just because the 49ers are doing something doesn’t mean the Cards will. You can argue that forever, but it seems that this is the way the Cards are choosing to do business. And again, the extension talk has just as much to do with the idea they like to wait until a player is in his final season (think Pittsburgh) as much as the CBA.

17. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

CMac –

Depends, but probably one fullback and four running backs. And you have forgotten Jason Wright.

18. By CMacyn on May 4, 2010 | Reply

O crap yes I did forget, so I’m guessing if things go the way I think they should it will be: Hightower, Wells, Wright, Howlings, and a FB. But I really like how Alfonso Smith runs tho I just see him as an all around athlete when he has the ball. It would suck to see him get cut and go elsewhere. Have you seen him enough to give a vague description of him?

19. By Tyrelle Dunn on May 4, 2010 | Reply

I think it will be Timmy, Beanie, LSH, and Jason Wright. Those 4 will do just fine. We should have 6 WRs. Save those other roster spots.

20. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Cmac –

He seems to be decent, but he didn’t get many reps in minicamp. It’ll be tough to beat out the guys here, especially since Wright is so good on special teams.

21. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle –

They will have a fullback on the roster.

22. By CMacyn on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Good point, but he is a rocket on special teams for kickoff, KR punt, punt coverage, I see him making an impact similar to what Howlings brought last year. I just hope he makes the team. Thanks Darren.

23. By RedBird1 on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Kauai,

If you sign up for Game Rewind on nfl.com, you can watch all the games for the last two years streamed over internet. Streams are good qaulity if you have a fast connection.

24. By Ctownbeatdown on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Alfonso will be practice squad eligible right?

25. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Ctown –

That is correct.

26. By Mr. Know It All on May 4, 2010 | Reply

kauaicardsfan

I remember those plays, and yes the NFL owns the footage.

If it can be found
    http://www.NFLFILMS.com is the place to start.

or call 1-877-NFL-5675

27. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on May 4, 2010 | Reply

I WAS HANGING WITH A GUY WHO WENT TO MESA HIGH AND USC WITH DEUCE AND HE SAID HIS DAD PASSED AWAY A FEW MONTHS AGO AND THAT REALLY MESSED WITH DEUCE. BUT HE IS SURPRISED HE HASN’T SIGNED THE OFFER CAUSE DEUCE LOVES AZ AND LOVES THE CARDS.

28. By Mr. Know It All on May 4, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn

The Alfonso Smith kid is faster then all of our current RB’s.

03/18/2010 – NFL DRAFT SCOUT RISER: Alfonso Smith, RB, Kentucky: Smith ran for only 712 yards in his four years at Kentucky, but the 6-0, 211-pound senior put on a show for scouts at his pro day with 4.38 40, 36″ vertical, 19 reps. That size and speed, along with his ability as a reciever and kick returner, will intrigue a team enough to at least make a call to his agent on Saturday afternoon to secure his services after the draft – if he’s not picked up late. – Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

I like the fact that the Cards are bringing in SPEED at all skill positions to compete.

As one great coach said (Lou Holtz)
    “SPEED KILLS”!!!!

29. By Mr. Know It All on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Deuce sorry to hear that you have my condolences.

30. By kauaicardsfan on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Thanks for all the help finding the old games footage’s guys!
    Pretty deprived out here LOL
    Aloha!

31. By shannonrobinson on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Deuce needs time, space and our patience. Brandon Keith is a road grader to run behind – Wolfley said he looks like a first round tackle. What a great line!

32. By TBru on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Rest in peace Mr Lutui, Condolences Duece

33. By cardphan1 on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Gotta think J. Wright will make the team again this year. With Whiz wanting to get a smashmouth run game you would think a guy who gets his thumb practically torn off and gets it sewn back on and comes back in the game is tough enough for smashing mouths. If not maybe the coyotes should find out if he can skate!

34. By Jeff Gollin on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Certainly, the trade-off of Faneca for Wells at LG figures to automatically upgrade our run blocking over on the left side, but won’t the trade-off of Reggie for Deuce on the right side hurt that aspect of the run game?

I’ve always felt that Reggie’s biggest strength was his nimble feet and that he’d be best suited to pass block against speedy outside rushers from the LT position.

While hoping that Levi’s transition to LT goes smoothly, I’m kind of surprise that the Cards haven’t given Wells a shot over there..

35. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Jeff –

Well, until Deuce signs he’s not in the equation, so that’s a moot point. If Deuce comes back, we’ll see what happens with Reggie, and if they try him out at tackle.