• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Dollars and sense

Posted by Darren Urban on May 5, 2010 – 11:32 am

There’s been a lot of talk about contracts the last couple of days. The 49ers gave an extension to linebacker Patrick Willis, the Saints re-upped guard Jahri Evans. The totals are reported to be $50 million or more for each (although we all know that’s what former Cards’ coach Dave McGinnis once called “Roger Rabbitt money,” since much of the back end of the deal will never been seen). Still Willis is getting $29 M guaranteed, and Evans figures to do well in that regard too (the details haven’t leaked — yet. UPDATE: Evans will get almost $26 M in the first three years).

Inevitably, guys sign deals and that perks up the ears of others looking for money (I would guess Deuce Lutui, looking for a long-term deal and still unsigned, noticed Evans’ news). Markets are set and the watch for the next guy begins. And sometimes the watching comes from the guy himself. Obviously defensive lineman Darnell Dockett is hoping for a new deal and it’s not surprising he not only has noticed new contracts but in general, tends to have money on his mind.

But Dockett seems to have dealt with his current issues better this offseason. Maybe it’s because fellow disgruntled teammate Anquan Boldin is no longer a teammate. Maybe it’s because Dockett and agent Drew Rosenhaus have had multiple chats with management this offseason and, even if they aren’t agreeing yet, both sides at least have an understanding where the other one is coming from. Maybe it’s because Dockett sees how the Adrian Wilson extension happened, and realizes there may be no reason to give himself an ulcer about it.

Dockett, although he had left his stance vague, has remained here the last couple of days doing the voluntary workouts, which hasn’t happened the previous two years. He came to the charity golf tournament Monday and, even though he doesn’t really golf, at least hung out a while and took a cart out on the course to see and be seen. I still think the Cardinals will give him the money he has earned. It may not come quite on the timetable he wanted, but I think it will eventually happen. I heard Dockett on XTRA 910 last week say (despite all his rhetoric on the subject) he’d like to stay in Arizona, be a career Cardinal, be with this coaching staff and leave a legacy.

Who knows? Maybe, the longer he stays here, he’ll eventually gain a golf game.

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to “Dollars and sense”

1. By John from PA on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I really hope he becomes a career Cardinal and gets the money he’s hoping for. 9-0 is too important on defense I think to get rid of.

2. By dylan on May 5, 2010 | Reply

i hope they pay 9-0 so him and dan williams can beast it up like crazy

3. By Jason Martin on May 5, 2010 | Reply

The guy has a year left on his contract, he needs to finish it out before he stops coming to voluntary workouts and stuff. The whole AQ approach to getting a new contract doesnt really work with whiz, as we have seen. What irritates me even more is this guy has to hit the lotto in addition to having what most people would consider a dream job?

I love 9-0, he does great things for our team, but when you are only looking out for yoruself (i.e. not showing up for workouts hurts the team in the long run), you can sit there and say that you want to be a career cardinal. Dockett will play ball with whoever gives him the money he desires, unless he hits the lotto like he wants, then maybe we can get him to shut up about the contract.

4. By ChrisNelson on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Any word from Lutui yet? Im sorry to hear about his loss, but i cant fathom why he wouldnt sign his tender,.. to have one loss is a hard thing, but then to compound that by not signing with the team that makes u happy will also make it alot worce on him… And I am glad Dockett is showing more maturity about his contract, i can understand that he feels (and deservers) the nice big contract.. But atm he is proveing that money isnt everything to him, and this year we need our players Hearts to be on Winning and not Cashing in…
    I do wish Antrell, Dansby, and Bolden do well in there respective new homes, but i dont beleave they had their hearts in the right place ater the Super Bowl we were screwed out of, and it realy showed last year… Again thanks for all the info Darren, we are all squirming in our seats waiting for anything Cardinals related.

5. By SierraVistaNick on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Dockett a career Card? That would be awesome!

6. By K-DUB on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Everyone on that roster should pay attention on how A-Dub got his extension. He earned it on the field, he played for it and it never went to his head. Wilson is a true Cardinals no doubt he’ll be in the Ring Of Honor and his number should be retired. But main point you want a contract you have to earn it.

7. By Chad D on May 5, 2010 | Reply

It amazes me what being a little longer in the tooth will do to a man. Most of these guys are simply still kids by the time there rookie contract expires. I really hope we are seeing 9-0 becoming a man and figuring out that money isn’t always the most important thing. *I know he isn’t still playing on his rookie contract by the way. I am so impressed with that little blog you posted about him taking on more of a leadership role. It seems we are seeing this “trend” more and more from our boys.

8. By CardsTime on May 5, 2010 | Reply

In the immortal words of Prime:
    “PAY DA MAN!!!””

9. By black on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Keep that right foot down Dockett!

10. By Nate on May 5, 2010 | Reply

hahaha i’d like to see him out on the golf course sometime. that’s when i ran into whisenhunt and leinart. i’d be overjoyed to see docket out there.

11. By Lone-Eagle on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I really hate to keep harping on this, but I believe they made one major mistake by giving up Boldin, don’t make the same mistake with Dockett. The Cards didn’t want to pay Boldin because of in my opinion injuries. Injuries happen, give me a break. He was worth holding on to, and I will stand firm on that until I am gone!! Minus the injuries, Dockett is of the same breed, just like Wilson. Stop playing games, sign the draft picks that your going to sign, and get Dockett’s deal done!!! Other teams can do it with their stars, we need to do it with ours. Enough said!! Re-sign Dockett! If We don’t, I guarantee you another team will, you can’t argue that point!!

12. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Jason –

Clarifying, Dockett’s contract runs through 2011.

And as for the lottery, who wouldn’t want a free $266 million? I don’t have a problem with him having some fun with that.

13. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

ChrisNelson –

No word on Lutui. And to clarify his personal situation, his father passed late last season. It didn’t just happen in this offseason.

14. By Don't Take Losses on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Good line. Fore!

15. By John on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Who wins this golf match?
    Dockett or Charles Barkley ?

16. By CardinalsFavor on May 5, 2010 | Reply

9-0 is core.

17. By kingdiamond on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Deuce is a nice guy and a decent (not great) guard. I am sorry but he is not worth $26M guaranteed. He makes too many stupid penalties and despite being in the league for several years still has room for improvement with is mechanics. Heck, he has not even been to the pro bowl.

As for Darnell, let’s redo his contract and make certain he is a career Cardinal. All I ask is that Darnell turns down the volume on the whining. Unlike Deuce, he has been to the pro bowl and has proven himself. He is worth a large guarantee.

18. By John on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, and the rest of the cardinal nation.

I watched Mark Schleruth and Coach Herm Edwards talk about the cards last night. 3 Big comments they said.

1. A team cant just go from a passing team to a physical run team over night?

2. There is no way Leinart can lead this team to win the west.
    Schleruth called Leinart soft and can not lead this team.

3. 49ers will be able to run the ball and play defense better than anyone else in the west, therefore they will win the west.

What is your take on these comments Darren?
    How does guys like Grimm take the first comment?
    Is Matt aware of how he is percieved and how does he take it?
    How does the rest of the cardinal nation feel about this?

19. By AndyStandsUp on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I realize the Cards would like to give extensions when they’re within a year of expiring, but next offseason COULD be dealmakers for Breaston, Sendlein, Luitui ,Leinart, Hayes, Fitz and Dockett.
    And the Cards this offeseason have Warner, Gandy, McFadden, Okeafor, Rolle, Boldin, Berry, Morey and Urban(around 48 million) off the books, unless I’m missing something.
    Wouldn’t it be prudent now to make Dockett(or Fitz,Hayes, Breaston…) a priority than to wait until 2011 when there may be a new cap, or is mgmt thinking on a lockout?

20. By pacardfan on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I’ve seen a few rumors that the Cards. are interested in Marc Bulger. Is this true? I kinda see the interest making sense but with this being Matt’s team now and with Anderson and the signing of Max and the draft of John, it is kinda odd too. Any idea if the Cards. may invest in signing a vet. WR like Kevin Curtis or Coles for depth? If I remeber correctly, didn’t Curtis do some PR too? I think he’d fit in nice as a 4th WR.

21. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

John –

Well, Charles actually has played. Darnell told me he just doesn’t play. So for now, I go with Barkley, although judging by the video I have seen, maybe Dockett can stay in it regardless.

22. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

King –

I don’t think anyone — including Deuce — would make the argument he is worth what Evans got. But the higher the bar is set, the higher the deals are below the bar too.

23. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

John –

I can’t speak for Russ or Matt. I know Matt understands there will be doubters everywhere, and his only chance to change their minds is to play — which won’t happen until September.

Personally, my take is that these guys have opinions just like everyone in the media and among the fans. They are allowed to think what they think. I think they have legitimate reasons for thinking that wayt. Do they know more about the game than most? Sure. But given that neither are out here on a daily basis, it’s impossible for them to know what will happen. If the Cards win the division, will they issue mea culpas? Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn’t matter though. It’s May, ESPN has 30 minutes to fill on NFL Live, and all they can do is speculate. They won’t be accurate all the time. And maybe they will turn out to be right. I’m a wait-and-see guy for the most part, because to me, there is no other way to look at it.

24. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

I think every team in the league is concerned about a possible work stoppage, and even if there is not, what the new CBA will look like or mean.

25. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

PaCard –

People keep trying to connect Bulger with the Cardinals but I don’t see it. They decided to sign Anderson. To me, he is taking the spot you’d give to Bulger. As for WR, I don’t think they’d sign a veteran.

26. By Ctownbeatdown on May 5, 2010 | Reply

John,

I was watching the same thing. Schleruth is the only bronco i like, but i disagree with most of what he said. I think with the right coaching staff you could change it up from a pass happy, to a run heavy offense. Especially if that’s the offense they have wanted to run all along. Are you going to tell me that Alex Smith has more leadership qualities then ML? I think the division depends on which quarterback performs better. The difference is, alex smith was bench for performance. Matty was bench because a future hall of fame quarterback deciced it was time to revive his career. As for the third thing. It is way to early to decide who is going to be the best run team, who is going to have the best defense, which Quarterback is going to be better than the other. It is their jobs to talk about it, but it is too early to call a division winner. Do not forget about the Seahawks this year guys.

27. By EZ on May 5, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub

If the other players were to pay close attention to how A-dub handled his contract situation, they would notice that a far less talented Rolle is now the highest paid safety in the league.

I am grateful for Wilson’s loyalty and determination to bring our franchise to new levels. I just bought his jersey.

But most players are looking to get paid. If they want max money, they should let their contracts expire. Dansby played it pretty well, almost $20 mil over two years, then a huge payday by the phins.

28. By Gang6230 on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I heard a comment the other day on the issue of the qb for the raiders Russel I think. They said they believed he was not giving it his all that the focuse had now become more about the millions than performance. I don’t know if it’s true but I do know one thing if your good at something and you give it your all the money will follow but the focus and patience doesn’t come easy in the NFL

29. By Jesse Robles on May 5, 2010 | Reply

That would be a jersey I get, I really only get Career Cards, or play most or the end of their career here. Fitz, Wilson, Warner, hopefully 9 0 and of course you have to have the Tillman, although if it came out AUTHENTIC, deff would be a top seller, can’t find that one anywhere.

30. By Jesse Robles on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    You know anywhere or how to get an Authentic Pat Tillman Jersey? I have looked for years and the closest I get is the fake ones on Ebay. Not sure why that one is so hard to come by when he is the American Icon, but it is.

31. By aaaaudio on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I like Dockets good press here. He is a hustler and a character that seems to do his job and have fun. Keep this guy happy! thx for all your updates Darren. I get on here everyday just about, to read your scoop.

32. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Jesse –

Not sure if those are available. I will try to find out.

33. By dirakj on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Dockett is likely to stay, he is the anchor of this defense. I am glad he chose not to cause destruction because we need him now more than ever. He can be a NFL guide for Dan Williams and light up the spirit of that line. He made an impressive transition to DE and now with Dan and Campbell on the line, we have a tandem of beasts with pass rushing and run stopping skills that can take our 34 D to the next level. Stay focused Dockett and there wouldn’t be a reason why you wouldn’t be paid your worth (Haynes-worth is not a good example).

34. By shannonrobinson on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Actually it is very difficult to change from pass first to a run dominated offense.Certainly not many teams can do both well.Coach Grimm has assembled his players and they know what to do after this last year. Of course if you run well then you have to stop the run – therefore we drafted Williams and Washington. Coach Whiz will deliver a gameplan that is a thing of beauty. Question to all: what three players of the 83 on the roster are on the bubble to be cut when all the draft choices sign?

35. By black on May 5, 2010 | Reply

John…….

If I may Darren,

These are the same people in the same network that haven’t given the Cards credit even when we went to the SUPER BOWL..

The two commentators you mentioned also repeat themselves so they can hear themselves talk………we just play to win the game.

36. By cardattac on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I dont see why everyone thinks we will become so different on offense. Matt can make all the throws in my opinion. Now that he is a little more mature and will be getting all the mini camp, OTA and practice reps with the starting unit, plus add a better running game behind him and an improved D…… I say bring on the 9ers…. The west is ours!!!! HAHAHAHA

37. By ChrisNelson on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Arizona Fans,

Just an FYI to all thoes hearing about how Matt isnt a phisical person, he cant take hits and hes “Soft”…. Would a “Soft” QB train in MMA? Um NO!!!!! Matt has been training in MMA and is gonna be a whole differnt QB than neone imagened him being,… Oh yea Arizona Cardinals training in MMA… HAHAHAHHA the NFC West is ours for years to come!!!!

38. By ChrisNelson on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Any plans on doing a story about Matt Doing MMA training this off-season?
    Id like to know what other Cards have been doing MMA training,.. Would realy give us an edge as a whole, nothing like taking a Finly tuned athlete and tighting all thoes lil muscles that are used for MMA… Im sure John Lott would love the idea of all the extra stamina gained from doing so…

39. By darrenurban on May 5, 2010 | Reply

ChrisNelson –

I just did one on the subject last offseason. Not sure I will revisit it.

40. By Jeff Gollin on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren – While cap discussions “make my brain hurt”, please explain how the uncapped year would work with regard to salary negotiations this year and the following one.

Did the J Evans and Patrick W lengthy mega-deals have anything to do with the parameters (or lack thereof) of how things figure to shake out over the next year or two?

Is the prospect of the uncapped year accelerating or slowing down deals?

41. By DRC#1FAN on May 6, 2010 | Reply

JOHN!!!

I watched that ESPN bs also. What shocked me is how little those guys actually know about us. for one. our division is likely to produce two playoff teams this year. We do have the easiest schedule in the league and so does the rest of our division. We will at least be 11 and 5 with the niners right on our tail at 10 and 6. AfC west sucks and didnt get any better. the rams are almos ta guranteed win and the seahawks, well, honetly I dont think Pete Carrols first year coaching pro is gonna b all that much better than they have been.

42. By KG on May 6, 2010 | Reply

There is just something funny about seeing Dock with a golf club. Grip it and rip it 9-0!

43. By card62 on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Reading on the Evans deal with the Saints. The Saints loaded up the money to be paid in the uncapped year, 19 million. This makes sense to me so if you have some core guys you want like Dockett why not bite the bullet and do a deal like the Saints? Your opinion please

I also ask in an earlier post if Duece not signing right now is really a big deal to him or the Cardinals getting better? Don’t a lot of players try not to sign to get out of offseason work? I have stated earlier that I hope Duece is with us next year as it makes our O line so very deep and I think even with our additions that Duece will be a starter for us next year.

As always thank you Darren and go Cardinals,

44. By Pipa Piko on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Even though deuce lost his father mid season. I give the man the up most respect because not a lot of people can mourn throughout the week missing practice. Also not be present for his fathers burial to be with the team that night in St. Louis. Upon all of that start the game and finish. The guy is not an average guard and is worth some chunk of guaranteed money! All those late flags and dumb mistakes can be fixed, but deuce alone only gave one sack the whole season.

45. By darrenurban on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

If you look at the money, it seems like a lot was pushed into this year with a signing bonus. We’re already in an uncapped year, so there is no “prospect” — teams are already dealing with that situation. I think the whole thing is slowing down possible extensions (look at Dallas not extending WR Miles Austin yet, and that’s the Cowboys). Here is the problem with contracts and the labor situation: no one knows what the league will look like going forward. I think there is an assumption — even though the players insist they’ll never be capped again — that there will be a cap in the future, or at least some sort of cost control. Add that in with the uncertainty about whether there will be football in 2011 (and owners wanting to save money if that is the case and we have no football) and there will be a drag on extensions.

46. By darrenurban on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 –

Some of the Dockett thing is philosophy. If you re-do Dockett now, then how do you tell Campbell, for instance, or DRC, wait? Plus, as I noted earlier, there is concern about money flow with the potential labor unrest.

As for Deuce, it may not make a difference he isn’t here. But in the end, he is the only one not here at least some of the time. Every other player who could have waited to sign (and avoid workouts) signed: Breaston, Sendlein, etc. It’s voluntary, but obviously coaches pay attention.

47. By darrenurban on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Pipa –

I never meant to imply that, because Deuce lost a loved one last year that he shouldn’t be mourning still. It just seemed some people thought, because they didn’t read about it back then that it just happened. I don’t even know if it has anything to do with Deuce remaining away. He and his agent aren’t talking.

48. By Nice on May 8, 2010 | Reply

Darnell Dockett looking like Tiger Woods, if only he got paid like him.

49. By zade on May 8, 2010 | Reply

I agree that not showing up to practice is a bull crap move but 9-0 has what the Cardinals need, a want to be here. I remember a time when no one wanted, or atleast it seemed to stay in AZ. Where old vets would come to retire because the weather is nice. Now the Cards. Are champs. That being said we need more. A Wils on the team and with how 9-0 is in on the team (check his Twitter) we need more people like it.

2. May 5, 2010: Contract clock ticks for Pro Bowlers | FantasyAces.com