Getting interactive and other stuff

Posted by Darren Urban on May 14, 2010 – 9:14 am

A few things to ponder while I wait for my new (and painfully expensive) air conditioner to arrive:

– Ron Wolfley, Paul Calvisi and I will be doing an offseason Cardinals Underground podcast early next week (Tuesday is the plan). We’d like to answer some of your questions. So if you have a question for us, e-mail me at askDarren@cardinals.nfl.net, put “Underground” in the subject line and we will get to as many of them as we can.

– Speaking of things for the fans, if you have been looking for some new wallpapers, we finally have some up. Just go to this page for a cornucopia of choices.

– Is this where we get into the discussion of where LeBron plays next year?

– One point I meant to bring up in yesterday’s item on Deuce Lutui is that neither he nor the team could have foreseen the Faneca signing. No one thought the Jets were going to cut the guy. Once he was cut, however, the Cards — who had wanted him for a long time — got their man and changed the game. Like the unfortunate turn of events with the CBA that hurt Lutui’s leverage, the Faneca situation threw another wrench in Lutui’s situation.

– Personally, I don’t think Brian Cushing should have gotten defensive rookie of the year award after failing the test for banned substances. He’ll still serve his punishment of a four-game suspension, but that’s the regular season. Meaning the first crowd he has to deal with at a game will be at University of Phoenix Stadium — where the Texans open up the preseason against the Cards. That should be interesting.

Tags: , , ,

52 Responses to “Getting interactive and other stuff”

1. By Joe-B on May 14, 2010 | Reply

I bet that ESPN will say that LeBron should come to Arizona so he can be the Quarterback.

2. By Chris B on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Too little too late Darren, but if you ask for a “scratch and dent” unit, it can be a lot cheaper and just not look as pretty. I saved $1500 on mine and it had a small dent in it. Works just fine though….
    I say bring LeBron here to play for the Cards. Maybe he can be our 4th wide out or the head cheerleader or something.

3. By bobF on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Some widescreen wallpapers would be nice. I want to creat a fan banner and it might be nice if there were a section will ultra-hi res photos on the site.

Thanks
    Stay cool.

4. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

Now that was funny.

5. By Rich K on May 14, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE the new black unis. I’ve been wanting them since the new red ones came out. I understand that the Cards aren’t allowed to have alternate helmets, but can they change the facemasks to black for the games that they wear black? It would totally help out the weak helmet and look smokin’-good with the black unis! Oh, BTW, don’t wear black on Christmas night. The Cards have a naturally-Christmas color with the Cardinal red jerseys. Oh, and burn those red pants unless worn with the white jerseys. GO CARDS!!!

6. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Rich K —

I don’t think they can change the facemasks.

7. By Isaak on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Could someone please tell me what this LeBron talk is. I assume it is about the basketball player but i haven’t yet heard the story. If someone could fill me in that would be great.

BTW-the new wallpapers look great, cheers for the link. DRC i think will be my new choice.

8. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Isaak —

I like the DRC one too.

As for LeBron, I could’ve sworn I saw something on SportsCenter this morning — right after the Sharks-Blackhawks preview, maybe?

9. By Isaak on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Cheers

10. By Isaak on May 14, 2010 | Reply

i can’t take any credit for making it but here is a good link to a DRC wallpaper.

11. By Gang6230 on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Yeah lebron. Could make the cheerleader squad

12. By OLdude on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Cushing tested positive for a substance that also can be produced by TUMORS in the body.so until THAT has been ruled out as the source, I won’t rush to judgement. It’s hard to believe that Lyle Alzado”s untimely demise could be ignored to the point that any player in ANY sport would risk their health, not to mention the integrity of their accomplishments. Adrian is a great example of what can be accomplished without cheating and with integrity. There are several others too but he’s my CARD!

13. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

OLdude —

Well, the tumor thing, at least with Cushing, has been pretty well booted as a possibility http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqD.1zpKukA2lC1uXCRCBZJDubYF?slug=ap-texans-cushing.

14. By TMAS on May 14, 2010 | Reply

What is this about Dockett taking a shower on twitter for a mil? Is this true?

15. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

TMas —

The story was that someone offered him $1,000 to do it, not a million. As for details, I will allow you to ferret those out. That’s one Twitter sequence I think I’ll leave alone.

16. By TucsonTim on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Well Darren, you might want to leave that alone, but that was all I heard on the radio on may home from work today. Somehow I would feel a little better about the story if it were a million. The lapse in judgment is mind boggling.

17. By OLdude on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the info Mr. Urban.. the “Republic” made it sound as if it was still an unexplored possibility this AM. Additionally, Mr. Cushing was quoted as if it was something he was medically worried about…..here comes the integrity word again. Coaches Whisenhunt, Gentry, and Tippett are all good coaches who don’t over-emphasize raw talent/skill but give character and desire great consideration in forming their respective teams. I believe that is why the Yotes,Suns and Cards have experienced success. It’s good to see these teams developing and being successful without arrogance and with class. Call me biased but “how can you NOT be a fan?”

18. By fightingbird on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Come on guys , the uniforms we have are GREAT,why change anything the red pants with red jerseys look good dude dont change anythingand the black jerseys hopefully dont last because I dont think I can get use to black jerseys. I was looking on line for a history of a black cardinal and I couldnt find one ha ha. Ive been a cardinal since I was 7 and its hard to change to black.

19. By Jim Carmody on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Too bad about the AC. Maybe Darnell can donate his $1000 to you.

20. By fightingbird on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren could you ask Ron Wolfley a question for me he’s a beast. Ask him why the heck is he not coaching I mean when we listen to this guy talk football my god he knows what hes talking about .But of course Im a wolfley FAN.

21. By kauaicardsfan on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    This story is a couple of days old but what do you think about the article of the cards and Adams?

Do you think the cards are even looking at him?

22. By Superdawg17 on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    How about Lutui and 3rd round draft choice for Oakland’s cornerback. They need lineman and he wants out. I know he’ll be expensive, but he is a shutdown corner. Don’t we have the one big contract left to spend?

23. By Lone-Eagle on May 14, 2010 | Reply

I am only going to comment on things that I feel are worthwhile. That is why I am commenting on the Brian Cushing argument. Now generally I would agree with you, but after listening to Mark Schlereth whom I would consider to be a reliable source as well as an excellent football player and a no holds barred NFL analyst, I have to disagree with you. Everyone wants to hang players for violating the SA policy. I was listening to Mark on the Morning show w/ Mike and Mike and he was saying that Cushing tested positive in Sept. In the beginning of the season. He appealed and continued playing. The appeal should have been taken care of immediately. According to Schlereth, he continued getting tested the rest of the year and was clean. no positive results. Which means his Rookie year is legit! Why take away his award? He won his award clean. If someone can argue that, I am all ears. He is a good football player and I think the league is getting out of hand with PED!!!!

24. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Jim —

I’ll pass along the suggestion. Good to see you’re reading.

25. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Superdawg —

No way that’s happening.

26. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

Why do you think he won his award clean? By definition, failing the test means he wasn’t clean.

27. By darrenurban on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

No. They are going to have too many linemen as it is.

28. By Skiptim on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Go with the swamp cooler next time.

29. By Skiptim on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Rackers wouldn’t really tackle LSH in the first preseason game, would he?? :'(

30. By Mr. Know It All on May 15, 2010 | Reply

More Podcasts please.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar makes sense.

Lebron James played football in high school as well, had he chosen to play in the NFL he would have had to go to college plain and simple.

I heard tough rumors on 620AM about G Deuce Luitui the Cards might trade him maybe to Washington for CB Carlos Rogers who is in a similar situation.

Hey the Cards OL is stacked with several combinations for the starting five. It’s just business.

Cushing is not foolin me. Don’t get me wrong the advances in sports medicine have these athletes recovering from injuries sooner and hopefully safer. But Cushing will have 12 games to prove me wrong. If after the more frequent and random testing we see his aggressive style change to “Mr. Nice Guy” then you know he was juicin.

Could this discovery be the part of an investigation into USC Football, ushering the Pete C move to Seahaws? OK enough jivin.

31. By Eazy E on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Lebron would be a beast of a TE, WR, or DE.

32. By Eazy E on May 15, 2010 | Reply

I think Cush is clean. Info is so sketchy, but i believe him though. He’s stripped of his 2nd-team all pro team selection, but retains DPOY(Defensive Player Of The Year) for the 2nd time. So the sportswriters must believe him. He sounds adamant about it too.

33. By Jeff Gollin on May 15, 2010 | Reply

E-mail address you provided bolos (also tried several variations of the askDarren Undereground address and none of them work). Why not just revise your blog message to make address in the message “clickable?”

Biggest overriding issue of interest between now and camp has to be: “How are various guys doing – i.e. are the new guys living up to expectations and are the older guys developing with regard to specific aspects of their play that need work?

JGG

34. By darrenurban on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

I got your e-mail today so it sounds like whatever your issue was worked out.

35. By Mr. Know It All on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Eazy E

I hope Cush is clean but remember (former worlds fastest woman) Marion Jones and how she swore up and down she did no wrong but later we found out she was a big time cheater.

I look back at Brian Bosworth (former LB for the Seahawks) and how his career tanked once he got caught juicin.

The ol sayin goes Cheaters never win!!!!

36. By FightOn on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Regarding Cush:

“He had a pre-existing medical condition (involving an enlarged pituitary gland) that was consistent with the natural production of hCG in males,” Steinberg said. “They came out in the hearing, and they were documented.

“We learned that he had a particular medical condition that was consistent with natural production in the body of this banned substance. We felt with the low levels at which it tested was also consistent with natural production.

What was Dockett’s excuse for acting the low class buffoon?

37. By ChrisNelson on May 15, 2010 | Reply

LOL Finaly some love from the so called ” experts”

bout time!

38. By Mr. Know It All on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like the NFL needs to repeal the 4 game suspension of Cushing.

I’m not saying Cushing is or has used PEDs.

WE HOPE NOT.
    ARE THE RISKS WORTH IT?

Some negative effects of steroids include the development of various cancers associated with the use of anabolic steroids. This includes, but is not limited to liver, cardiovascular, hormonal, reproductive and nervous systems. Plus severe acne, and bloating associated with water retention and fits of rage.

39. By Patrick Rodriguez on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren do you think the Cardinals will have a more effective run game with Alan Fanaca in the lineup. I know he’s old but do you think he can still perform at a level where our run game can still be effective?

40. By Jahstone on May 16, 2010 | Reply

Cushing is just using excuses like Manny…oh…I didn’t feel that needle in my ass when I was sleeping…lol.

41. By Skiptim on May 16, 2010 | Reply

I read that Dockett talked to Whisenhunt about the shower thing. Is there going to be a team punishment? Is it seen as not a big deal within the organization? Also, do you see a league punishment for him?

42. By Jesse Robles on May 16, 2010 | Reply

Im glad OTA’s start this week, geez.

43. By Cardsfan928 on May 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, since things are so slow, and we seem to be talking about a SoCal D-Bag named Brian Cushing who was suspected of steroid use in college and as well now in the pro’s, any chance on writing up an article about the front office and a report card? or what you would like to see with our Whiz era draftees progression? ya know “In Whiz we Trust”?

44. By Big Red on May 16, 2010 | Reply

This is the Cardinals website not the texans, who really cares about cushing or lebron of the nba.

45. By darrenurban on May 16, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim —

I don’t know of anything that has happened. I don’t see a punishment, but that’s my opinion. My guess is Darnell was told not to do something like that again, although I stress I am guessing. I don’t know what happened.

46. By darrenurban on May 16, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan —

A report card about what? Almost everything written the past couple months is front office related — the draft, free agency. And it’s impossible to “grade” anything until games start happening. I know there isn’t a lot going on that’s exciting, but that’s because there isn’t a lot going on.

47. By darrenurban on May 16, 2010 | Reply

Patrick —

Yes, I think adding Faneca will be an improvement.

48. By Peter in Canada on May 16, 2010 | Reply

I don’t like the black uniforms. It’s the Cardinals and Cardinals are RED. However, I don’t like the all red unis. I think red tops and white pants the Cards have always worn are the best unis in the league and they go right back to the old days in St. Louis and Chicago. Maintain the tradition.

49. By Javi on May 16, 2010 | Reply

CARDINALS ARE GOING TO SHOCK THE WORLD THIS YEAR I GARRANTEE IT!!!

50. By Javi on May 16, 2010 | Reply

CARDINALS ARE GOING TO SHOCK THE WORLD THIS YEAR I GARRANTEE IT!!!

51. By Javi on May 16, 2010 | Reply

52. By James Wine on May 16, 2010 | Reply

@ the video…

WE ARE EXACTLY WHO WE THOUGHT WE WERE.

More of the same this upcoming season.