• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Dockett apologizes for shower

Posted by Darren Urban on May 18, 2010 – 12:43 pm

Last week, Darnell Dockett — Twitter maven that he is — decided that he would show himself taking a shower over the internet. Dockett acknowledged today he thought of it as a joke, and now understands it really wasn’t, not for someone in his position.

“I learned a lot from it,” Dockett said. “At first I thought it was a joke. Obviously it was not. I put my team in front of the media for things that weren’t appropriate. It was a learning experience. I’ve never been in trouble, I’ve never been in the news or on gossip sites or things like that. This was a new experience.

“I apologize to all the kids and the people who look up to me. I apologized to my team and all the players. I walked past every player individually and apologized. It’s behind us. It was a joke that I took out of character and it was wrong. I have to do better things. Even though I didn’t think it was serious at the time, I have to realize other people might not look at it like that.”

Dockett insisted “you’ll never see me on no news or media like that again, unless it’s for me trying to take someone’s head off (on the football field).”

Dockett said he’ll resume tweeting. He admitted he had to think about what things he was doing on social media, but “I’m still going to be me. I’m not going to change, it’s not going to change what I do on Twitter. I’m just going to be smarter.”

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said the team, not surprisingly, wasn’t thrilled when Dockett posted his video. “Darnell and I talked about it. I think he has handled it well after that. Obviously we weren’t real excited when it came out, but technology is changing every day … and we don’t discourage our players from having interaction with our fans and we think it’s important. But there is always a right way and a wrong way to do it.”

Tags: ,

39 Responses to “Dockett apologizes for shower”

1. By Chris on May 18, 2010 | Reply

“I put “My team” in front of the media”, says it all- we luv ya 9-O!

2. By Nick Pepe on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Apology accepted.

3. By OLdude on May 18, 2010 | Reply

As I said in a previous post – the Cards and the coaches are people of integrity and class. This little mis-adventure is merely a”bump in the road” and has been handled correctly is not a symptom of any kind of organizational dysfunction. (unlike some other orgs.) It’s time to forgive and forget and WIN THE WEST!!!

4. By pjdylan on May 18, 2010 | Reply

This was just embarrassing. I hope this doesn’t turn into something over time–especially when Dockett is with opponents on the football field.

5. By TMAS on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad he apologized. And the fact he took blame for a bad judgment call speaks a lot about him as a person. We all make mistakes. The more of an athlete or celebrity you are just gives you a bigger stage to screw up on.

6. By Ditship on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I for one think it’s funny.. Not smart.. But funny.

7. By Rugbymuffin on May 18, 2010 | Reply

How refreshing is that ?

There are apologies like Brian Cushing. Then there are genuine apologies like this one.

While I had no problem and understood the joke and playing around (I am one who is comfortable with my nakedness, LOL) I am in the minority. Thus this kind of fun can be taken the wrong way.

Dockett sure seems like he understands that and is regretfull in his actions even though he didn’t mean any harm. We all have to learn the hard way sometimes.

More than forgiven in my eyes, and impress with his apology.

Back to football.

8. By CardsDNA on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I have been following 9-0 sign he first was on twitter and think this is just blow wayyyy out of control. I think him apologizing to those that took it the wrong way is ALL that is needed on his part. I always find that with Dockett you get the uncut truth of the way he feels and what he is. I can not blame a guy for having a sense of humor, and I truly hope he does not let it affect him on and off thefield.
    I myself did not find it offensive and had a good laugh knowing who he is, but I can see how a parent of young kid follow him as a fan would be taken back from it. Lets just remember that sometime parents need to be parents, and allow adults to be adults.

9. By mannybeingmanny on May 18, 2010 | Reply

uhhhh….what on earth!?!?!?!
    Darnell…why???

10. By TBru on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I don’t follow his tweets, just what is here, but glad I missed it
    it is distasteful, but better than LT or Rothelisberger I suppose.

11. By todd on May 18, 2010 | Reply

D.D.’s never had any problems like this in the media-always been a professional…people makin way too big a deal. GO CARDS BABY!

12. By FightOn on May 18, 2010 | Reply

People spinning this and making excuses for a dumb jock and thinking it’s a joke for a player (much less a man) to expose yourself publically are acting like hypocrites…especially after years of trashing Leinart for those hot tub photos. Unbelievable.

13. By PWalker on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Will there be an Outlook version of the schedule to download from the Website this year?

14. By darrenurban on May 18, 2010 | Reply

PWalker –

Good question. I will have to ask.

15. By wampag on May 18, 2010 | Reply

hey D- check it out: Patriots cut Shawn Springs

he would be great what do you think?

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2010 3:51 PM ET
    After 13 seasons, veteran cornerback Shawn Springs may have reached the end of his NFL career.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Patriots released Springs today. The team hasn’t ruled out re-signing him before the season, but right now Springs is on the way out. At age 35, that could mean he’s done for good.

In 2009 Springs played in 12 games for New England, starting eight. He previously played for the Redskins from 2004 to 2008 and the Seahawks from 1997 to 2003.

Springs said in January that he was pondering retirement and considering going to law school with the goal of becoming a player agent.

16. By TucsonTim on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Have to respect a guy who mans up, accepts responsibility and not only appologizes but sets a higher standard for himself to live up to. I think I just defined a role model.

17. By darrenurban on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Springs is an old 35. No thanks.

18. By AndyStandsUp on May 18, 2010 | Reply

With technology advancing everyday, athletes are going to be prone to getting themselves into trouble by simply speaking their minds.
    Remember Larry Johnson last year with the gay slur, or the Micheal Phelps cellphone pictures or the NBA player all a twitter at halftime.
    And one that hit home last season with Fitz’s little brother complaining about Larry’s passes thrown his way from Warner.

19. By Cards4life on May 18, 2010 | Reply

It is kind of funny…. Not the worlds smartest idea… All that matters is he admitted were he was wrong and made up for it, by apologizing to the organization and player and to his follower.

Apology Accepted=)

20. By Paul on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Oh No Darren, the story about KW on PFT today. Hope it doesn’t get legs. I know how the McNabb story drove you nuts.

21. By Mackie on May 18, 2010 | Reply

CardsDNA,

“Lets just remember that sometime parents need to be parents, and allow adults to be adults.”

When a person decides to become a professional athlete they need to accept everything that comes with it. Part of this means that they will be a role model to kids. It’s been like that since the beginning of sports. That’s how it works. And I don’t know too many adults who make 7+ figure salaries that decide it’s alright to shower live on the internet.

If the organization accepts him on his word then I too will hope this is just a speed bump in his career. The team and fans deserve better. Keep it classy.

22. By Eazy E on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I like that Carlos Rogers for Deuce Lutui Rumor!

23. By Jeff Gollin on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Chalk this one up to the “no big deal/but don’t be that guy” category.

Hopefully, it can be used as an example for the newer players of what can go wrong when you tweak without thinking.

24. By MikeInGilbert on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Are there ever going to be alt jerseys with stitched letters, not screen printed?!?

25. By darrenurban on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Paul –

There is no “story” about Kurt.

26. By darrenurban on May 19, 2010 | Reply

MikeInGilbert –

That I do not know. I will ask.

UPDATE:

There are 3 kinds of jerseys available. The “replica” is the least expensive, with all things screened on. There is a new “middle” version called “premier,” which is a hybrid that has name/numbers stitched but the birdhead and workmark are screened. Finally there is an authentic, where everything is stitched.

And to answer your question, the new alternate jersey is now available in all three styles.

27. By MikeInGilbert on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Kurt tweeted earlier today: “Sorry, to all of you that may b holding out hope of a return! I am done and have plenty to do! But, hope to stay involved with fb! we’ll see”

So hopefully it’ll put that to rest.

28. By john m on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    How about beefing up the LB’s by trading Gabe Watson for D’Qwell Jackson. Rogers wil get a big suspension and Gabe won’t be resigned after this year. Trade Derek Anderson to the Jags for a pick and sign Marc Bulger. We need someone with NFC West experience. Even with the draft their is a big drop off at Ilb. Lennon can back up Hayes. What say you

29. By TBru on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I love Kurt Warner, even though I am a Cards fan first and foremost, I liked Kurt in the Rams days. Sure I would love have seen him suit up one more year, but the last thing in the world I want is for him to become the but of so man Farvesque jokes.

I didn’t want to see him retire, but I really don’t want to see him come back
    stay classy KW

30. By darrenurban on May 19, 2010 | Reply

John M –

I say if the Jaguars would have wanted Anderson, they would have tried to sign him as a free agent, so they aren’t giving up a pick for him. I think D’Qwell Jackson wants a big new contract and right now, the Cards aren’t handing those out given the labor issues, so I think you’d be trading for a headache.

31. By john m on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Thanks for your insight. The hole left by Dansby is pretty big and you are not going to fill it with journeymen. Granted, Jackson would need to be signed for a reasonable amount but some would say he is on the same level as Dansby. Considering the “salary dump” the Cardinals managed this off season, I don’t think it would be far fetched that Jackson could be had for a reasonable contract price for the next three years. Remember the Titans game last year when Dansby was out.

32. By MikeInGilbert on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Thanks D — I checked NFLShop.com, and they weren’t there — but they ARE available if you go through the AZCardinals.com link for the jerseys. They are NOT available if you go to the “SHOP” link at the top of azcardinals.com .(CardinalsProShop.com). I’d been looking there and NFLShop.com. I didn’t know a 3rd site (stadiumcollection.com) was the place to be, apparently.

Call me crazy, but I’m a big fan of one stop shopping….

Thanks for following up!

33. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

MikeInGilbert –

Sorry about the hassle.

34. By MikeInGilbert on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Oh it’s all good — hopefully they can get the better jerseys at the other locations soon.

My only dilemma is #24 or #26?

They should have a #13 for posterity’s sake. Don’t think they allow it though.

2. May 19, 2010: Darnell Dockett showered live online for money, and is sorry | Buzera
  3. May 19, 2010: Lunch links: The practice of “importing”, and no more Ocho dancing | Blog Archive | Goal-line Stand | Blogs | TheScore.com
  4. May 20, 2010: Dockett apologizes | Celeb Gossips