Don’t even ask

Posted by Darren Urban on May 20, 2010 – 9:44 am

I guess I should have doused this yesterday, when it picked up steam and for some unknown reason became fodder for the ESPN talking heads, but Kurt Warner isn’t going to come back. All this started, by the way, through pure rumor on profootballtalk.com, not because Kurt said something ambiguous. This is what Warner said last night on Twitter: “Why does everyone think I am coming back? Do I have the wrong definition of ‘retirement’ or has it been changed in recent years?”

He’s not Brett Favre, people.

P.S. Speaking of things that make you shake your head, there is Beanie Wells’ shaved head (which you can see in this video at the 57 second mark). It’s hot outside, right? Makes all the sense in the world. But Beanie ‘fessed up, admitting the shiny dome look wasn’t intentional. Beanie apparently cuts his own hair and apparently went a bit too far up the hairline in the front. So it all had to come off. Of course, he can pull it off. I’d be afraid to unleash that look on the world. Which is probably why I don’t try to cut my own hair.

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Don’t even ask”

1. By Rugbymuffin on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of QB’s Yahoo.com just released its QB rankings for the league.

We are #28, and ranked a spot behind the Rams who don’t even have an official starter.

I hope Leinart knows how badly his name is being dragged through the mud, and that he has been labeled as soft.

I would be spitting mad if I where him, but that is just me.

2. By Matt H on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Warner is unretiring?!?!

3. By Chris B on May 20, 2010 | Reply

As a fellow shaved head, Beanie should keep it. And I should know bc I’m the national expert on such things.

4. By James Wine on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Beanie…

He isn’t the only one who had that happen…

Funny how the media can twist things.

5. By Roy on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Dont feel bad Beanie, I cut my own hair and the guard has slipped a few times and I had to go bald too. Then again, I’m a teacher that makes $50,000 a year, there is a reason I cut my own hair, I have 6 children.

Too funny!

6. By DRC#1FAN on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for all your hard work and many blogs. I enjoy them daily. I am glad Kurt isn’t comming back. He deserves retirment and had a wonderful career. I’ve been anxious to give the team to Matt since last years Titans game, although our D lost it, or vince Young won it, however you wanna word it. matt did a 4th quarter drive to rival any Kurt has done for our team. I feel he will have more ball sercurity and wont have those 4 interception 2 funmble games that Warner did about 3-5 times a season, including against the Saints, where Matty drove on them. It’s perfect timing. Watch.

for everyone else!!!!!

ya or nay on lienart? who is gonna step up and have some faith? I bet my boss 100 bucks lienart throws 25 td’s and 10 or less interceptions. maybe ya all wont go that crazy with it like me. but who is gonna support this kid? our first round pick? our golden boy from the bay? come one people!!! RED SEA RISE UP!!!! wooot woot

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Unfortunately, people get paid to write about rumors, hence the temptation to create and propagate rumors to keep the paychecks rolling in. Certainly not every journalist does it, but there are enough bad apples in the media who’s actions contribute to the general mistrust of the media by the public.

As long as money is to be made, agendas to get as much of it for oneself will always exist.

8. By We'll miss Q on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren, If Kurt is not coming back will he be a coach? And when will we be trading for Mcnabb???

9. By bobF on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Beanie. You make some money now. Only 14 bucks at Supercuts. I bet they’d give you a discount.

10. By johnnybluenose on May 20, 2010 | Reply

i get it that kurt warner is never coming back as an nfl player. still, now that someone somewhere, for whatever reason, has suggested that he might, i am reminded that i was surprised that he was so quick to announce his retirement at the end of the season and equally surprised that management seemed almost eager to move on. it reminded me a lot of the favre/packers/rodgers scenario. we can only hope this works out as well for our birds as it did for the pack.

11. By CardsFan on May 20, 2010 | Reply

“Do I have the wrong definition of ‘retirement’ or has it been changed in recent years?”

Actually, Brett Favre HAS done an excellent job of changing the definition of “retirement” in recent years with regards to the NFL.

12. By CMacyn on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Good stuff D, I don’t understand how people can talk about Warner coming back. Just because he is old does mot mean he is indecisive, he is gone and will be missed. D- Any revelations about the rookies or anything that caught your eye today?

13. By Robert on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I already knew there was no chance Kurt Warner was coming back, which is why I found it hilarious that ESPN was discussing the topic. The exact question was, “Does Kurt Warner have a little Brett Favre in him?” HA. Thanks for clearing this up once for all.

14. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan —

Well played.

15. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

CMac —

Just for you, I was paying close attention today. I’ll have a blog up in a bit.

16. By CMacyn on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren you rock I knew you would hook it up. Thank you, it is greatly appreciated. GO CARDINALS>>>!!!

17. By Matt H on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Kurt won’t be a coach in the NFL any time soon. If there’s a job that takes more time than QB, its as a coach. Warner want’s time with his family, don’t expect Coach Warner anytime soon

18. By We'll miss Q on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren, I couldn’t help it.
    DRC… I am not sure what game you watched but to say Leinart’s “drive” was as good as any Kurt ever had is borderline ignorant. It was NOT the playoffs, it was NOT against a great, or even good defense, HE did NOT throw a TD, and we did NOT win the game. Yeah other than those things, it was comparable. And yeah Matt “drove” on the saints HUH??? How many points did he “drive” the Cards to???

19. By Larry on May 20, 2010 | Reply

SInce the Cards traded for Rhodes, are they on the hook for his signing bonus and his annual salary or just his salary (and the signing bonus being paid by the jets)?

20. By Dustin D on May 20, 2010 | Reply

DRC
    Thats some serious betting, at least for me haha. 25tds and less than 10 ints. Wow, that would be nice. Im willing to bet if that happens everyone one would stop dogging matt and keep their mouths shut. Maybe even jump on his ban wagon. I have faith in ML, but he def needs to prove all his “hard work” has paid off. Lets just see how it plays out.

21. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Larry —

Any signing bonus is paid when the player signs. Now, if a player has a roster bonus, it’s paid by whatever team holds his rights when that date arrives.

22. By Larry on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

So in theory the cards arent risking any long term cash (unless they keep rhodes and as long he doent have a roster bonus). Now I like that trade even beter! Got a buddy at work Im arguing with and need your expertise. you’re the man!

23. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Larry —

Assuming he plays at a decent level, yes, it is a good deal for the team.

24. By black on May 20, 2010 | Reply

When Kurt comes back, is this going to affect our defense?

25. By Skiptim on May 20, 2010 | Reply

When I saw Wells, I thought Betrand Berry came back and took his spot and jersey number. Looks just about as big with the camera that close to him… dang.

26. By diaryofatiredblackman on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Wells is HUMONGOUS!!! I worry about the Cards this season. Shouts out to Darnell Docket, MOCO in the building.

27. By ras j on May 20, 2010 | Reply

beanie ill cut your hair for $12…. and as a barber i dont recommend going to supercuts or any place of the sort..

28. By Ryan on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports reports that the Cardinals are not impressed with Leinart or Anderson and could try to pursue Bulger. What’s your opinon on this?

29. By Scott H on May 24, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been over my Warner-coming-back fantasies for a long time now. I’m excited about Leinart leading the team and seeing a whole lot more of Beanie Wells. But please humor my question about this one scenario that lingers in the back of my mind…if Leinart were to go down in training with an injury that ends his season right there, would the Cardinals consider making a call to Warner to see if he would give it one more shot? Trust me, I know Warner is no Brett Favre and I’m very glad for that. But given the competitive guy he is, I have to wonder if he might be just a little tempted by such an offer. Please understand, it’s just a question and it’s just for fun. I’m not mentally ill and I’m not trying to make you use bad words!

30. By darrenurban on May 24, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I don’t see it. If Warner retired in part because he didn’t feel he could commit to spending the offseason getting ready — because he felt that was necessary to play — I don’t see how he could take the whole offseason off and still be comfortable jumping back in.

Besides, in that scenario, isn’t that why they signed Derek Anderson? And at that point, would Bulger be on a roster? I’d think calling Bulger would be much more likely that trying to convince Warner to come out of retirement.