• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Spirited in so many ways

Posted by Darren Urban on May 20, 2010 – 1:43 pm

One of the keys to the summer workouts — like today’s organized team activity, for instance — is to make sure the focus stays put even late in the week, when the guys are ready to blast out of town for a long weekend. So it helps to have something on the line. The Cards had their intensity at the end today when coach Ken Whisenhunt pitted offense versus defense in third-down situations. The “winner” — whichever unit did its job more often — got out of running.

So there was whooping and hollering from the defense when cornerback Greg Toler broke up the first Matt Leinart-to-Larry Fitzgerald pass. And there was the same from the offense when Fitz made a wonderful one-handed grab on the sideline. There was a lot of arguing when a first down pass from Derek Anderson to Early Doucet might have come after a “sack” of Anderson. And there was an explosion of happiness from the red shirts when Money Mike Adams broke up the final pass to Andre Roberts. The coaches from the offense had to run too, which made it even more interesting.

“From the chemistry standpoint, it shows how quickly it is building with the team,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “Guys are getting along. They’ve already put in eight or nine weeks and I think when they get on the field and are able to do football things, there is always a lot of excitement. I said (to the team) today, the question is can we sustain this over the next three weeks. Based on what I have seen, it looks that way. The tempo, the enthusiasm is good. Guys are competing. If that becomes our nature, then this will have been very productive for us in the long run.”

Other stuff from today:

– Among the other plays that stood out were a beautiful 40-or-so-yard bomb from Anderson to Doucet over Justin Miller and a John Skelton 20-yard lob into the outstretched hands of 6-foot-5 WR Darren Mougey in between double coverage by Miller and Herana-Daze Jones. After the latter play, the air was filled with yelps of “MOO-gee.”

– At one point early in the practice, WR Ed Gant made a catch as he headed for the sideline. He gained control and sprinted upfield to finish the play — even as he was about three yards out of bounds on the field closest to the team headquarters. “We playing on an expanded field?” linebacker Monty Beisel said, turning to Gant and adding, “Watch out for the building!”

– Former University of Arizona football coach Dick Tomey — whose son, Rich, works for the team in business development — was on hand to watch practice.

– Rookie nose tackle Dan Williams continues to work with the first-team dime unit.

– Defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was clearly exasperated that his latest back-and-forth with 49ers tight end Vernon Davis caused a stir in some places, enough so that he put out this tweet right after practice: “Lol look people me and @VernonDavis85 are cool and been friends B4 the NFL and we will be after the NFL so yall stop taking shhh so serious.”

– WR Steve Breaston was sporting some very red gloves again and I figured there had to be a reason. An ability to get the attention of the quarterback easier, perhaps? Nope. Turns out that he got them from Adams. “I wore them a lot last year,” Breaston said, unsure why I was the third or fourth person to notice them today. “Maybe it’s because they’re clean.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Spirited in so many ways”

1. By CMacyn on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Great to hear about the team coming together, also good to hear that Adams is putting in work along with Toler. Good stuff D always insightful. GO CARDINALS!!!!!

2. By carlo7000 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

darren
    in this moment who do you think is the player who earn the fifth spot on the widereceiver depth chart?give me a name ..please

3. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Carlo7000 –

Any name? I’m going with Mac Cody.

(If anyone reading gets that, color me impressed).

4. By Chris B on May 20, 2010 | Reply

The former Wide Receiver? Not sure if I understand if it is an inside joke…

5. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Chris B –

Nice … Carlo just asked me for “any name” so I came up with a random former WR. Not really an “inside joke” as much as sarcasm.

At this point, it’s impossible to know who the fifth receiver might be. Heck, even the fourth one. Yes, it should be Roberts but you never know.

6. By CMacyn on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Carlo7000- this is how I see the WR line up shaking out: Fitz, Breaston, Doucet, Williams or Roberts. I know all the receivers we have are talented (not too sure about Mougey, Gant,) Max Komar has great hands as far as i have seen and Deryn Bowser looks good as well. All I know is we are going to have lots of talent when we come out in three and four WR sets. GO CARDINALS!!! and GO LEINART!!!!!!!!!!

7. By cardfan82 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

i have a feeling this season our defense is going to be the reason we win games! not that i dont have confidence in our offense, because I DO!! i have a feeling our D is hungry with some young blood. and some vets like porter and rhodes is what we needed!! i say our D finishes in the top 5! on top of another division crown! in wiz we trust!! go cards!!!!

8. By Jeff A on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Any word on negotiations with the rookies? I’ve seen some of the lower round guys on other teams are slowly starting to sign.

9. By Beauchamp on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I myself hope big lanky mougey makes it as a fifth receiver. I played against him in highschool with lott he could be a big boy. Darren how has he looked so far? I’m loving the fact we have competition through all our positions. I’m healing up from my spinal reconstruction surgery darn army never did it while i was in, so keep the blogs coming it keeps me entertained w/ reading material. I’ll be up to visiting training camp in flagstaff tho! Go cards!

10. By Keith on May 20, 2010 | Reply

word on the street is kurt warner wants to come back, maybe he will be the surprise 5th reciever

11. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Jeff A –

The Cards usually don’t get going on their signings until mid-June.

12. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Beauchamp –

I think Mougey is a long shot, but he’s been OK thus far. I think given the players on the top of the depth chart, they could use a WR with speed to develop. Not sure if Darren is that guy.

13. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Was HOF and offensive coach Grimm running too? ;)

Would like to have seen a shot of that if it did happen.

14. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

Between you and me, Russ did not run.

Maybe he was going with the “assistant head coach” part of his title and not the offensive part of it.

15. By ben on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Curious, the only thing on our starting QB was that he had a pass broken up. I am one of the fans that believe in Leinart. Can you let us know how he looked in your eyes during practice? Does his “swagger” seem different? Is he commanding the huddle? Does it look like the team is rallying behind him? Did he complete any passes, lol?

Sorry lots of questions there, a simple he looked good will suffice. Thanks for the updates.

16. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

He looked fine. He’s the one that threw the completion to Fitz too — I just didn’t mention that detail. Whisenhunt did say he was pleased with how the QBs threw this week, and I would interpret that to mean Leinart and Anderson, mostly.

17. By mo on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Monty Beisel’s comment to Gant is hilarious (“Watch out for the building!”). It’s great to hear Whiz so pleased with the general attitude, work ethic and commaraderie of the team.

18. By pjdylan on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I love Steve Breaston.

19. By sign90now on May 20, 2010 | Reply

So Darren, does that mean Max Hall hasn’t done much to tstand out more than Skelton? How does MAX look, u know a lot of ppl in the East valley are rooting for him as he is a local product out of Mtn. View!

Is he a possibility for the Practice Squad, or do we not usually keep a QB on the practice team?…. Thanks Darren

20. By BigAl on May 20, 2010 | Reply

It’s good to hear Doucet is getting after it from day one. You would hope that the young man recognizes and appreciates his opportunity with Boldin leaving. With Fitz and Breaston getting lots of attention, he and presumably Roberts will get plenty of underneath passes. I’m stoked about the new running attitude as well, but it would seem to me we need another RB to account for nicks and dings.

21. By BigAl on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Btw, we appreciate that you are giving us more passionate fans more tidbits and details from the OTA’s, Darren. You help us to avoid hunting down rarely used statistics and websites just to re-read old newspaper articles on the Cardinals. Yes we are a desperate lot, but our wives love us in spite of it all!

22. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Sign90 –

I think Max has impressed with how quickly he picks up the playbook. But he definitely has an uphill climb. You are right — it seems unlikely to keep a fourth QB on the practice squad, especially since Leinart and Anderson and whichever rookie makes it will all need reps before the PS guy would get any.

23. By moe on May 20, 2010 | Reply

darren,

how is max hall doing do you think he has a chance to get to be the 3rd qb behind leinart and anderson after all he had a pretty good college career at byu and is a mesa mountain view product what do you think is he showing enough

24. By kingdiamond on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Thank you for all of the insights! Great news on the chemistry! It is the intangibles that will win the close games. Great to hear about the WR competition and that Danno Williams is playing with the first string. Good reports about Toler too!

25. By Tyler on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I am a huge AZ cardinals fan. I check the website several times a day for new articles and blogs. I left AZ to join military and now I live in SC. Is there anyway to get a autographed Jersey by a player and sent to me? Or can you throw a sweepstakes or something? I just bought a DRC alternate jersey and 2010 hat. I’d love for him to sign it, but I am sure you see the difficulty. Let me know what my options are if any, please.

26. By Cardsfan928 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren this was an exciting entry…I hope to see Porter’s swagger become contagious on our Defense…Here is to hoisting one in Dallas, Huh?…..In Whiz we trust…

27. By Don't Take Losses on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Urb: Nice podcast shout out to the fans on “In Whiz We Trust”. You were money on the mark bro. We do have confidence in Coach and trust his choice in QB and we know he’ll make the move if ML fails. Btw, he was the best player in America the year he won the Trophy. I saw him 4 or 5 games, he was $$. That’s what we call Big PO (as in potential).

Just really enjoy the podcasts and hangin’ with you guys for that time. Way to go.

Go Cards.

PS: 9-7 per Wolfley, Division Champs…giddyup.

28. By AZfAn808 on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    With those Toler and Adams pass deflections is that a poorly placed pass or is it lock down coverage?
    and i must say these in depth articles are great keep it up

29. By brazilian fan on May 20, 2010 | Reply

for everyone that doubts leinart, I say: watch the video of his highlights against Green Bay last preseason here on the site. from 38-10 to 38-37 (cause early doucet dropped a 2pt. conversion) you’ll get a little bit more confident. of course it’s defense too, and I may not be an expert on cards like urban, but it made his last 0 TD season meaningless to me.

30. By cardattac on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Man…… I love the CARDS!!!!!! Our organization is getting so strong. Havin a team and a coaching staff with so much passion and friendship is so nice to see. I love the fact that all our players are all showin up, plus players and coaches alike havin fun. Whis is on his way to becoming one of the best head coaches of all time. in my mind. I mean look at the turn of this franchise….. I cant wait till we we win a super bowl or two!!! Thank Darren

31. By darrenurban on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

I can’t promise that. Sorry.

32. By Justin on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, any chance we can get some updated information on John Skelton? I haven’t had a lot of time to check the site recently so any links from the last couple weeks would do.
    Also, what Cardinal draft pick has impressed you most so far in relation to either making plays on the field or how they conduct themselves off of the field.

33. By Tyrelle on May 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren, how is Juamorris doing?

34. By Tyler on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Well, I had to try. I think you are doing a great job with the website. Don’t change a thing except maybe a sweepstakes or something. Anyway, thanks for the response. Have a good week.

35. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle –

Actually, he looked like he tweaked a hamstring or something this week so he was limited.

36. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Justin –

I will actually be posting a quarterbacks story later this morning. But with Skelton or any of the picks, I know everyone gets tired of hearing this but it’s too early to tell much. On a personal level, they all seem like good guys. I particularly liked talking to O’Brien Schofield, but I’ve had a conversations with all seven and they were all pleasant.

37. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

AzFan –

That’s tough to say. In the end, if a guy is in position to knock down a pass, doesn’t that mean he has pretty good coverage?

38. By ben on May 21, 2010 | Reply

I trust your word over anyone in the national media. PFT just came out with this story:

Basically they are stating that Jason Cole, heard from a source, (I never trust that, name some names!!!) that coach is not liking what he is seeing out of Leinart or Anderson and will be looking at Bulger.

I asked you yesterday about what you saw out of ML and it was positive.

So, should I put any weight into what this Jason Cole is saying or trash it like 90% of all media about the Cards?

39. By gordo on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    is it true what pft is sayin? that matt hasn’t impressed the whiz and there looking to get bulger? how do u think he looks so far?

40. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Ben, Gordo –

It’s so hard to tell in OTAs. To me, it would never be about OTAs, it’d be a much deeper issue. Do I think there is any truth? Honestly, I am not sure anymore. I am trying to get a comment, but likely, the Cards will leave this alone. I still don’t think anything will happen with Bulger. But I’ve been wrong before.

41. By ben on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Wow, that was disheartening, not what I thought you would say.

You have been so positive in past stories about how you think this is Matt’s job to loose. Is the media beating you down Darren? or Have you seen something that is leading you down the road of “im not sure anymore”.

Keep the faith Darren, like we always say in Whiz we trust.

I for one will keep pulling for Matt.

42. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

I haven’t seen anything. I hadn’t given two thoughts to it before the report came out this morning. I still think Matt Leinart is the quarterback. But I will say this: If Bulger is signed, I don’t know how Leinart can end up as the guy.

43. By ben on May 21, 2010 | Reply

P.S. Will we still be getting that QB story later today, lol….

44. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

It’s funny. I might not post that today. But it has more to do with other circumstances and nothing to do with these new Bulger rumors.

45. By TBru on May 22, 2010 | Reply

“Any name? I’m going with Mac Cody.

(If anyone reading gets that, color me impressed).”

looking for my crayons, Mac has 1 more NFL touchdown than I do