The QBs aren’t named Bulger

Posted by Darren Urban on May 21, 2010 – 3:05 pm

May means Twitter showers are big news in the NFL, and so are rumors of still-on-the-street veteran quarterbacks. It can be no surprise Marc Bulger was, once again, linked to the Cardinals despite the presence of Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson and rookies John Skelton and Max Hall.

I haven’t been able to get in touch with general manager Rod Graves, but he told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche the team is “not actively engaged in discussion with Marc Bulger” and “right now, we’re not looking outside of our group.”

“If he is interested, we’re appreciative but right now, we’re focused on the guys that we have here,” Graves said. “Matt has done a great job so far but so has Derek Anderson and our young guys. I’ve learned to never say never. Who knows what may happen? (Coach) Ken (Whisenhunt) hasn’t made any final decisions on who will be the starter at quarterback. Right now, we’re not looking outside of our group. That’s not our focus.”

(UPDATE: Graves got back to me via e-mail, echoing the same thoughts. Included was this: “Questions regarding the depth chart or who will be the starter will be answered by Ken.”)

It certainly doesn’t put the Bulger possibility to bed. But just yesterday, Whisenhunt — asked generally about who stood out — without prompting talked about his current quarterbacks. “I thought the quarterbacks threw the ball very well this week,” Whisenhunt said. “That was nice to see.”

It’s not exactly an endorsement for the season, but it is praise — something that, if the Cards were that disappointed with the group, I wouldn’t think Whiz would say. I still think the starter this season is already on the roster, and I still think it’ll end up being Leinart. I do think, if Bulger were to sign, it would basically end any thoughts Leinart would have of being QB here. It would create an awfully awkward situation. And again, it’s May. NFL media is looking to find something to talk about when nothing much is going on (I know I am), and the quarterback situation here lends itself to speculation.

The rumors won’t stop, regardless. Profootballtalk.com just posted an entry “Don’t rule out JaMarcus Russell in Arizona.” Yeah, well, I think I’m going to rule him out right now.

Tags: , , , , ,

54 Responses to “The QBs aren’t named Bulger”

1. By DRines on May 21, 2010 | Reply

If the cards sign Russell I’m cancelling my season tickets. 4th row

2. By kyle on May 21, 2010 | Reply

haha I’ll rule out russell too. is shawn springs going to retire? he might be a good option at CB to pick up for a veteran leader. even if hes just a nickle or something

3. By shannonrobinson on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I’d be interested in stories about the bottom quarter of the roster. AOK

4. By The Fanimal on May 21, 2010 | Reply

JaMarcus in AZ? I second Drines! 8th row.

5. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Shannon –

I’ll take it under advisement.

6. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Kyle –

Springs is done. He may not retire, but he’s done.

7. By Steve Lee on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Bulger learned from Warner, just like Leinart. He would be FAR better than Anderson. But, alas, he isn’t as young and would cost more. Yet … age isn’t as much of an issue as it once was. We’ll see how it all works out.

8. By Tony on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Do we need a back up guard?Maybe Russell could try out for that.He doesn’t have the brains and dedication to be a qb.

9. By John on May 21, 2010 | Reply

It’s funny.
    Most “experts” say if Bulger signs with the cards, he would start. They also feel Bulger gives us a better chance at winning. Leinart hasnt wowed Whiz over his 3 years. Remember last year, Matt had to fight to keep his job as backup. Graves didn’t give a ringing endorcement for Leinart in the article either. Finally, in the Wyche piece, Bulger said he is in no hurry to sign anywhere.
    Uummm? A Cards team unsure about their 1st round QB after 4 years, going into his 5th. A probowl QB , needing a second chance, waiting on the right fit.

Where there is smoke, ……….

I’m not saying, I’m just saying …??

10. By sign90now on May 21, 2010 | Reply

I hope the CARDS dont sign Russell either, if they do can I have ur tix DRines or The Faniaml? LOL

11. By Secret on May 21, 2010 | Reply

i think max hall is better than russel, and i havent even seen max play.

12. By Joe-B on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Just shows how little faith the media has in us…

13. By JohnnyV on May 21, 2010 | Reply

All I hear is talk regarding the Cards picking up a veteran corner (and although I completely agree), I don’t here anything about looking into some more MLB depth. Listen, I know Gerald Hayes is a solid player, but it’s obvious he’s still hurting from last season. Daryl Washington has a bright future, but I doubt Whiz throws him to the wolfs early in the season. Lastly, even you said that Paris Lenon is a guy that you DIDN’T want starting for you. Not to mention Monty Biesel and his horrific play toward the end of last season. I’m hoping for a David Hawthorne type situation with a guy like Reggie Walker, but I’m also trying to be realistic. With teams like San Fran and Seattle (not to mention Steven Jackson) loading up for big running seasons, shouldn’t the Cards be worried about their MLB situation. I know I am.

14. By Cardsfan928 on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Well John….Derek Anderson was a pro bowler when he had weapons that could catch. The last couple of seasons all he had was Joe Thomas on offense, and a LT doesnt help much down the field. Isnt it obvious by his days in pitt…Whisenhunt likes BIg Strong armed QB’s…See Ben Roethlisberger…

15. By Ctownbeatdown on May 21, 2010 | Reply

So if we say “where there is smoke…” that means we would be signing russel and bulger and Warner is coming out of retirement. We already have a “pro bowl QB, needing a second chance” and his name is Derek Anderson.

16. By BigAl on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren, my concern was a GM remarking on the status of who is to start, which is the Head coaches domain. It is the first misstep in th past year that I’ve seen from the FO, but I know Whisenhunt couldn’t have liked that so-called decision being remarked upon. What is your take?

17. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Big Al –

Not sure what you are talking about. In both the NFL.com quote and the follow-up he e-mailed me, Graves made it clear those decisions were Whiz’s.

18. By BigAl on May 21, 2010 | Reply

I just think that tamping down fan’s enthusiasum for their new unproven QB by making a lukewarm at best statement of suppport is not the best way to engender fan support. It almost sounds like the rumors of disatisfaction with Leinart are true, which if that is the case then it should be handled in house.

19. By darrenurban on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Big Al –

Understood. But once the rumor is put out there, the Cards are almost in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation. Say nothing, and it lingers with people wondering why you said nothing.

20. By AndyStandsUp on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Whiz gave a noncommital answer to the possible signing of McNabb also.
    Bulger would just be a stopgap to a younger QB, which is what Anderson and/or Leinart already is.
    And with the concussions suffered, the money alotted and the fact that he led the Rams to a sparkling record(that was sarcasm, for those who don’t comprehend) should be huge crimson pennants for the Cards.
    P.S. Don’t forget to check out Kurt Warner analyzing the AFL game tonight and having his number retired.

21. By cardattac on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Yeah its all good guys…… Matt and the rest of our boys will shut up all the rumor starters. Matt will be the starter from what Whiz already said that he has earned the position and its his J O B to lose. They wont bring in some other guy at this point vet or not. Whiz will play the best players like he always has and we will win a whole lot of football game. We wont be bullied this year!!!! GO CARDS!!!!!

22. By cory on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

If the cards sign Russell, would you mind forwarding my resume too? I’m pretty sure I would have a shot- played some pop-warner back when I was twelve, and I’m under 300 lbs…

23. By Billy Thomas on May 21, 2010 | Reply

I have to admit, there seem to be a ton of rumors floating around about the Cards. I mean these people are in need of something so badly that they’ve literally created a rumor about Warner and a rumor about Bulger which have had no merit whatsoever. Why not talk about McNabb and Campbell or something? In any case, I must admit, I’m not opposed to Bulger being here. I really think he could do well here, however I preface that by saying I want to see what Matt can do first, because I still believe the Leinart of USC is still in there somewhere. GO CARDS!!

24. By DRC#1FAN on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Get use to Lienart to Fitz. They are gonna set records this year. Matt will have a Manning/Brady type season. watch and learn.

25. By PipaPiko on May 22, 2010 | Reply

Cory-

Go get it breh! I hope you get the job? What are you a qb or kicker?

26. By Eazy E on May 22, 2010 | Reply

I am not happy to hear that matt or derek not impressing the coaches. Maybe we need a bulger or a russell. I don’t care what you say about bulger, he did play behind a bad line and no weapons in st. louis. Same for russell, he does need to improve his work-ethic, but this is ridiculous, stop the russell jokes. Leinart and D.A. has a much better supporting cast than bulger and russell and they not clownin. Its only may 21st, but maybe we need to bring one in, either bulger or russell, because that’s not what i want to hear with leinart and d.a. It’s going to just get tougher especially around training camp. We also need to trade lutui for carlos rogers, i heard that rumor a few days ago, i like that trade, washington gets a rg coming off a solid season and carlos while he struggled last year, needs a change of scenery because he is talented and a first round pick, and he’s a good corner, him and drc with toler as a 3, now that’s more like it!

27. By TBru on May 22, 2010 | Reply

Why all the love for Bulger? I never understood why the Rams let Warner go, and Bulger didn’t do anything to show they made a good decision. Warner had a Super Bowl caliber team in St Louis that Bulger turned into the doormat of the NFC. I really do not have any interest in watching history repeat itself.

28. By darrenurban on May 22, 2010 | Reply

Eazy –

You are assuming the comment that the coaches aren’t impressed is true.

29. By Peter in Canada on May 22, 2010 | Reply

I watched an AFL game for the first time last night. I thought the game was reasonably entertainining but there aren’t enough defensive stops for my liking. I thought Warner did a really good job as an analyst; he was informative and easy to listen to. His comments about the Cards wre interesting and I think the rumours of a Warner comeback can be discounted.

30. By CMacyn on May 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren- very off topic but so you think Kerry Rhodes will run the wildcat this year? He played QB in high school and maybe college (not sure which but he does have a nice arm). And if not him then maybe one of the hyphens lol. Thanks in advance. GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By CMacyn on May 22, 2010 | Reply

D- only video I could find was on youtube. If you type in WTF Madden you’ll see what i am taking about. (and he played college and HS QB)

32. By j chambers on May 22, 2010 | Reply

how bout this: i hear a lot of discussion about extending the season by adding games and cutting preseason down to 2.

instead the league should be looking to add a month to the season as well as cutting preseason down to 2 games that would add six weeks to the season

more than enough room for 2 additional regular season games and a slew of bye weeks needed to keep the players healthy. and maybe two or 4 expansion teams

also this extends the season six weeks and allows for the NFL to have something relevant to talk about and sell during time when the do not…

33. By John on May 22, 2010 | Reply

Easy E,

Are you kidding me ? Duece for Carlos Rodgers ? Heck, Id go pick up Duece and drive him to washington to make that deal work. I could see Duece and a draft pick, but Duece for Rodgers straight up? If that is offered, please make it happen Graves.

As for Leinart, I would be nervous if Bulger is still unsigned after the first preseason game.

34. By Brian R. on May 22, 2010 | Reply

Jamarcus Russel needs to go to the Arena league.

35. By darrenurban on May 22, 2010 | Reply

CMac –

I don’t know who “qualifies” to run the wildcat. If anyone.

36. By darrenurban on May 22, 2010 | Reply

J Chambers –

No way the players will ever agree to that. They get beaten up enough as it is.

37. By carlo7000 on May 22, 2010 | Reply

why always this rumors…bulger wont came here..and then is too early to say leinart is a bust..the regular season didnt start yet..and also the coach praise our qb in one of his last interwiew….a bit of hope,no?
    inter milan the new winner of champions league..amala pazza inter amala

38. By tillman on May 23, 2010 | Reply

all you guys just thank the lord you didn’t have to watch Jason Campbell play last year for the Redskins! that was worse than watching the Card’s lose the super bowl! it was heart-breaking because he would throw it to a guy 4 yards away when he had a man wide open for a touchdown! I’m quiet sure that whatever QB’s we will have at the start of the season are FAR better than JC.

39. By Skiptim on May 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, would you (or whoever can) consider fixing the photo gallery system a bit? It is kind of inconvenient to need to scroll down and click the arrow every few pictures and then click the pictures at the bottom to go to the next. Would you be able to get a system where it is just a “click photo to advance to next” type thing? That would make browsing much easier.

40. By darrenurban on May 23, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim –

I will pass it along. But I am guessing that’s not a simple fix to the system.

41. By Jeff Gollin on May 23, 2010 | Reply

Settling into a new era under the leadership of a new QB (& new backup receivers) figures to be more of a process than based on an instant-decision.

We’re in the midst of Phase 1 (i.e. how well can our QB’s deliver the ball and how well can all our receivers catch it)? It appears that all four QB’s are answering that question positively.

Next phase will have more to do with absorbing the playbook and being comfortable making the right reads & pulling the trigger quickly and decisively.

After that, it will be doing all of the above with pads on.

And then in real games under pressure under “live” fire.

What makes me feel optimistic is that a couple of our new QB’s are making nice deep throws and our receivers are making the catches.

42. By Joe Hays on May 23, 2010 | Reply

Its off topic and I apologize but does anyone know when Single game tickets go on sale? Thanks alot.

43. By darrenurban on May 23, 2010 | Reply

Joe –

Usually those go on sale in July.

44. By cardattac on May 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey….. D Im itchin for some more news…. I know you cant just make stuff up, but….. that would be cool. haha….. anywho I was wondrin when the next O T A’s start and finish???

45. By card62 on May 23, 2010 | Reply

I said long ago that this is Matts team in 2010. His final shot to see what he can do and I hope he has an all pro season and turns into a 10 year pro bowl QB. Our QB problem will be solved for 10+ years. I did want us to sign Bulger as a backup and insurance policy if Matt does not perform. I wanted Matt to have at least the first 8 games so he could relax and jsut play plus Bulger was beat up very well the last couple of years so giving him time to get back in the swing of things will aso be best for Bulger. My opinion but I think we juimp the gun too soon on Anderson. I hope Anderson does well now as he is a Cardinal, but Anderson will be every bit as unhappy about being on the bench to Leinart just like Bulger would be, and this is a good thing. We want QBs who want to start, but are also professional enough to handle the situation like pros and Bulger is every bit the pro Anderson is. Should we sign Bulger now? I do not think so unless our #1 or # 2 are injured, but I wish we wouild have waited for him. Go Cards 2010 will be a very exciting season.

46. By Eazy E on May 24, 2010 | Reply

Well darren, i’ve heard that they haven’t takin it over like they should. It’s mainly 7 on 7, you should be looking good now. John, i heard that a few days ago and i’d love that trade. We have a bunch of great linemen but not cbs. It helps both out tremendously. It gives carlos a new start because he said it himself, about 2 months ago,that maybe he needs a change of scenery just like kerry rhodes said.

47. By Ronnie_jnr on May 24, 2010 | Reply

why is everyone forgetting about Anderson.
    yes Bulger is a good fit. but not a solid future fit.
    it even took warner a couple of years to get back to top form when he came to us. go with derek anderson.

48. By Jeff Gollin on May 24, 2010 | Reply

Example of a “non-story” being hyped – i.e. “News Flash! Nothing Happened Today!” Or “Relax. No Asteroids Expected to Hit Earth (for now)!”

49. By Tarl Sampson on May 24, 2010 | Reply

First of all, Bulgar would probably do good, MOST pro quarter backs would probably do good on our team. Its set up well. But I think its time we looked towards our future, like most NFL teams. Its RARE going with OLD quarterbacks. Its just not the proper way to set up a dynasty. I think Leinart will do just fine, with Anderson coming in when he has bad games. Whiz will probably do the one two punch, like he did with Warner and Leinart until one becomes the true Victor. I also hope Skelton will be slamming at the door in a few years, HOPE!! Either way, we will have a fair season. Niners and Seahawks are going to fight us tooth and nail this year, hopefully our team will rise up the victor.

50. By darrenurban on May 24, 2010 | Reply

Cardattac –

They have more OTAs this week (5/25-5/27), Tues/Wed/Thur.

51. By darrenurban on May 24, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E –

Yeah, see, I’m kinda leery when I am told “I’ve heard …”

Heard from who?

52. By tillman on May 24, 2010 | Reply

Ronnie_Jnr,
    the reason no one has mention’d anderson is because he sucks. i say we keep matt, get Bulger, releace anderson, and keep one of the rookies to learn from Bulger. if we do get Bulger, he should be the 1st QB and matt at 2nd

53. By Scott H on May 24, 2010 | Reply

This Bulger thing is a non-issue as far as I’m concerned. Leinart and Anderson are clearly numbers one and two on the depth chart – regardless of who’s one and who’s two – and they have two other young QB’s on board right now. Where does Bulger even fit into all of this? I seriously doubt they’re going to camp with FIVE QB’s. And why does Bulger want to come into s situation where he’s likely to be third on the depth chart with the Cardinals when he could probably compete for s starting spot with several other teams??? Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Oakland, Carolina, Kansas City…Bulger is probably as good as what any of these teams has right now. Now, if either Leinart or Anderson go down with a serious injury…OK, then we have a whole different situation and a whole different discussion. But Bulger in Arizona does not make sense – not for the Cardinals, not for Bulger – with things as they are right now.

2. Jul 8, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog