OTAs resume with Two-Face

Posted by Darren Urban on May 25, 2010 – 1:23 pm

So the second week of OTAs opened today with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on the sidelines. And that’s not even what grabbed your attention with DRC. No, it was his hairstyle, which once again seemed DRC-unique. He had shaved off half his hair. His beard remained, but half his skull was clean (as you can see below). “They call me Two-Face around here,” DRC said later. “They say they never know what you’re gonna get. So I wanted to give them a look.”

Batman did not attend the voluntary workout.

Some other things that happened:

– I thought tight end Dominique Byrd made a few nice plays today. Obviously he isn’t quite the blocker that the Cards might want at the position, but he definitely can catch the ball and he’s nifty after the catch. He snared a Derek Anderson bullet on one play that was particularly noticeable.

– Safety Kerry Rhodes made an interception on 7-on-7 (I didn’t see who threw it) but DRC, watching on the sideline, good-naturedly warned Rhodes not to celebrate too much. “They don’t count right now,” DRC bellowed.

– Anderson threw a nice bomb to Early Doucet, and Max Hall found Stephen Williams on a deep out pattern among the other passes I noticed.

– Speaking of Doucet, during wide receiver drills, he’d usually go first and then peel off to make a couple throws to his teammates during the same drill, giving special-teams coach Kevin Spencer — the normal “QB” for such drills — a break. “Q’s gone,” Doucet said with a smile, noting the absence of former receiver-who-once-was-a-college-QB Anquan Boldin. “I’m just letting them see my potential if they want to draw something up.” UPDATE: For some sights and sounds from receivers and a glimpse of a Doucet throw, check out today’s video here.

– A handful of players besides DRC were sidelined with various dings, including linebacker Gerald Hayes (back), who was absent last week.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “OTAs resume with Two-Face”

1. By James Wine on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Ha..

That made me giggle…

2. By Chris on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Is it just me or from what you can tell has DRC aka “twoface” bulked up?

3. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

No, I think you can tell. Physically (aside from the toe), I think DRC has looked good.

4. By chris m on May 25, 2010 | Reply

dude thats my boy haha i loved when he had his beard look like wolverine but two face haha thats legit …….and they dont count haha no they dont cause my boy isnt on the field haha

5. By KidStallyn on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren…..Not to make this into a Derek Anderson v/ Leinart conversation, but the one thing I’m noticing is that Derek Anderson has made quite a lot of NICE long throws to receivers. Yet, I’m not hearing the same types of responses in your blogs about Leinart. I definitely don’t think it’s because you prefer one over the other, but are you noticing anything in these mini-camps?? Like is Matt throwing the long ball on target as well as Derek?? How about the other QBs? Are they throwing many deep balls??

How’s Matt’s accuracy on the short passes? Last year he had issues (at least at the beginning of games) of over throwing receivers. Has he been able to work out some of those nuisance of his throwing technique??

6. By kingdiamond on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Sounds like Doucet’s skills have really grown and is making quite an impression on you. Same with Whiz too?

7. By Patric on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Well I don’t know about you guys, but DRC has looked more determined than ever to get back on the field. He must of taken a few pages out of A-DUB’s book and bulked up over the summer. He looks as though as he put on a good 15-20lbs of muscle. Should be a more physical corner.

8. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Kid –

Leinart’s accuracy has been fine. It’s hard to tell if all his issues are gone, but he’s been fine.

Something to keep in mind when looking at these reports (which is why I am hesitant to do too many of them). I am not rating every throw. I have other things I am looking at, pictures to take, etc. If a play catches my eye I take note of it. These reports are strictly for entertainment value only — so please, no wagering.

It’s probably important to note too that Anderson is often going against the second-unit defense, while Leinart is often going against the ones.

9. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Kingdiamond –

I think Whiz likes Doucet’s progression, yes.

10. By Julian on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I know there was a piece recently done on Skelton, but could you keep us a little more informed of his development. I may be out of line, but I think a lot of us fans are really excited about him after watching some videos of his college highlights and the sport science segment done on him by ESPN.

Thanks

11. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Julian –

Well, I appreciate you asking. But there isn’t much to say right now. As I pointed out, he’s probably not going to be a factor this season.

12. By cardattac on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Yeah man DRC is a little thicker….. Dude looks crazy with his head shaved like that.

13. By AndyStandsUp on May 25, 2010 | Reply

With Patrick, Becht, Spach, Dray and Byrd the Cards have a surplus of TEs.
    Under the implied impression that the running game will be elevated, I would assume that it’s going to come down to Spach, Dray and Byrd fighting for a roster spot.
    Dray could go to the practice squad, correct?

14. By dre29 on May 25, 2010 | Reply

DRC LOKKS GOOD CANT TO SEE HIM ON THE FIELD….. HES BULKED UP FOR SURE

15. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

Correct.

16. By beauwinden on May 25, 2010 | Reply

He definitely appears to have bulked up. If it doesn’t affect his speed, then he’ll be great next year.

17. By Joe-B on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Why does everyone seem to think that Skelton [who has a ton of upside] should become the starter right away or sometime in the nest 2 or 3 years. We don’t know how well he will transition to the pro-game, and as we have seen from JaMarcus Russell, all of the physical talent in the world does not mean that you will be great in the NFL.

18. By DRC#1FAN on May 26, 2010 | Reply

my man

19. By John on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B
    I totally agree with the assessment of Skelton. For a 5th round pick it was good. But remember, it was a fifth round pick in a very weak QB class. So slow down everyone on thinking he is going to be the man.

For a big, strong armed QB with loads of talent, don’t you think its strange he fell to the bottom half of the 5th round ? Think about it for a second.

I know . Brady, Romo, Warner, Bulger and Unitis,were all drafted late.But before anyone pulls out the Brady ( 6th round pick), Warner or Romo (undrafted) comparisons, lets see the kid throw a pass against third string players in the first preseason game.

I’m sorry, but the QB spot is a wait and see for me. I don’t believe we have a “franchise” QB on the team. But , like in Washington, Gibbs won 3 Superbowls with 3 very questionable QBs. Whiz has a plan and you cant argue with success.
    I have a feeling that Anderson will be our starter, Leinart is released at the end of the year, and the cards look at a QB next year in a draft that could have several good QB’s (, Locker, Luck, and the kid from Arkansas to name a few).
    Just my opinion.

2. May 25, 2010: Arizona Cardinals cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is Two-Face | phoenix.rssible.com
  3. May 25, 2010: Arizona Cardinals cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is Two-Face « Acrylic Sports
  4. Jan 27, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | The DRC experience