Receiver still a strong suit

Posted by Darren Urban on May 25, 2010 – 9:21 am

When a team deals a player away like Anquan Boldin, the first thought is what happens going forward. Clearly, the Cards (who also lost Jerheme Urban to free agency) aren’t quite as deep at the position as before. But it’s hard to look at the Cards’ receiving corps at the top and not still have serious confidence.

Matt Williamson of Scouts, Inc., wrote a piece (it’s under the Insider paywall, FYI) breaking down the receiving groups of a handful of teams, including the Cardinals. Larry Fitzgerald is a great starting point of course, and he’s clearly bullish on Early Doucet — not only calling Doucet a possible breakout player but even going as far to say Steve Breaston is better suited for the No. 3 role and implying Doucet could be No. 2 (I don’t necessarily agree; I think Breaston’s toughness is underrated). In Williamson’s estimation, Doucet is an ideal Boldin replacement, which wouldn’t make him the first person to view Early that way.

Here is also what Williamson said about the rest of the pass-catching situation: “I also love the draft pick of Andre Roberts in the third round. Although he is from the Citadel, his game is polished and he should quickly assert himself as one of the best No. 4 wideouts in this league. Surely Boldin’s loss will be felt and Arizona’s tight ends are glorified offensive tackles, but I don’t have any worries about the wide receiver position.”

I feel the same way at this point. Again, guys have to stay healthy (and it wouldn’t hurt to find another young guy to develop besides Roberts) but the Cards are in good shape out wide.

Tags: , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Receiver still a strong suit”

1. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Which guy has the lead on the 5th WR spot?

Also, any clue who will replace Morey on special teams?

2. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

I don’t think there is any leader at this point at 4 or 5. Way too early.

Same with special teams.

3. By kingdiamond on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I bet the fifth guy is Moguey!

4. By MarshM on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I’m glad to hear the wide receiver position is still in the elite among the NFL, however is there any word on who has emerged as the starting passer for this offense?

5. By latch on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Enough about Boldin.. Lets move on and let the Boldin fanatics move on to Baltimore.

What a cheap shot to our team……..

6. By Peter in Canada on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Totally agree. If any team could afford to lose a player of Boldin’s capability it’s the Cards. In a salary cap league, the money required to keep Boldin is better spent elsewhere. Also, Boldin had a lot more mileage on the tires than the other wideouts.

7. By Joe on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Roberts looks to be a good replacement in the sp as well as howling i keep reading all these articles about how cards are done but whiz is a great coach who has been preparing for the eventuality of warner and boldin being gone this year i really think they have under estimated our depth

8. By Chris B on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Haven’t we had 2 WR on the practice squad for a while now? Ed Gant and Onrea Jones? What is their future like? I thought they’d have a better chance now… Thoughts?

9. By nor cal cards fan on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Urb- Do u think Onrea has a legit shot to crack the roster as the 4th wideout? One could assume he would already have a pretty good grasp of the offense after being on the practice squad, and if i remember correctly u said in a previous blog that he’s had some impressive moments during voluntary and OTA workouts. Thanks for your continued great coverage.

10. By cardattac on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Ya know…. I can remember a handful of wins that we had the last two years…. big ones too, when Q wasn’t playin cuz was hurt. Which seemed to happen pretty often. I’m not sayin he isn’t an awesome player. But his attitude was pretty pour and I think he was more focused on his self and money….. Which is fine but I want guys that wanna be here cuz they wanna be here!!!! It was clear to me who he plays for…. I see the heart in Doucet that used to be in Boldin. I have always seen it in him. As long as he can take care of himself I think he is a great number 3 and or a replacement for Boldin. GO CARDS!!!

11. By K-DUB on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I read on AZcentral.com about a new WR we added for a roster spot Darren Mougey. Do you think he seems promising to make the 53?

12. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Chris B —

They’ll be in the mix.

13. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

I think Mougey is probably a long shot, but you never know.

14. By aaaaudio on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I feel confident that if Doucet stays healthy he will be a force. With Q gone he won’t have to live in the shadows. I watched film on him from LSU and he was a monster there! I also feel confident that Lienart will show the country he has QB NFL blood from head to toe and will be impressive in many games to come.
    I do think we need some depth at CB though.

15. By Tyrelle on May 25, 2010 | Reply

What about Juamorris?

16. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

He is one of the players sidelined with an injury right now.

17. By Gang6230 on May 25, 2010 | Reply

The last I heard on the NFL network was that the starting qb had not been decided between leinart and Anderson Its gonna be intresting these coming months Personally I think Anderson will be but you never know.

18. By Tyrelle on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Is it a minor or major injury

19. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

Minor. Bad hamstring, I think. No big deal.

20. By Jesse Robles on May 25, 2010 | Reply

darren
    who is 17 and 14 in your video?

21. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Jesse —

No. 17 is Onrea (O.J.) Jones. No. 14 is Stephen Williams.

As always, you can check out anyone on the roster if you’re unsure: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/roster.html

22. By CMacyn on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Seeing as how we have eleven WRs on the roster what is your opinion on how many we keep? Also how many can we keep on the practice squad? Thanks in advance. GO CARDINALS!!!!!

23. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

CMac —

I could see keeping five on the active roster and a couple on the practice squad. But that can change depending on the numbers at other spots.

24. By CMacyn on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Sweet, I really feel great about our WRs, So as of right now my five would be Larry, Steve, Early, Andre, Stephen, Andre. its exciting having so many possibility’s at one position. How do you see this one shaking out? Or is it still to early to tell?

25. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

CMac —

Of course it’s too early. Let’s get to training camp before we worry about cutting the roster down.

26. By Jesse Robles on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    LOL my bad, I wasn’t sure if the Roster was updated or not.

27. By CMacyn on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Thanks D.

28. By Tyrelle on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Has he impressed you?

29. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

Stewart? Haven’t seen enough to judge.

30. By cardinalsfan100 on May 25, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    why wasnt andre roberts in the video? was he sidelined or something?

31. By darrenurban on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Cardinalsfan —

No. He was out there today.

32. By AndyStandsUp on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m not as high as Williamson on Doucet. Early looks like a Boldin-clone, but he’s only had a handful of career catches.
    And I’ll bet with Leinart, Fitz will be running more under zone passing routes while Breaston will stretch the field and be the “Pahokee” player.

33. By Scott H on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I think we remain just fine at the WR position. But I would love to see the TE actually become a factor in this offense again at some point in my life-time. Can’t even remember the last time the Cardinals had a TE who registered even a remote blip on the radar. But as we appear headed to a much more run-oriented offense, I’m guessing the TE’s will be doing a lot of blocking. And ya know what? If that helps balance the offense and keeps the pressure off Leinart, I’m OK with that!

34. By Beauchamp on May 25, 2010 | Reply

I really enjoyed watching andre roberts play in college. Me and a couple of guys from my unit at Ft. Gordon would drive up from Georgia and watch Citadel play. He reminds me of boldin not in style of play but being a polished receiver who can catch the ball with his hands well in traffic. Roberts could make a huge impact as a rookie unlike early and steve did because he has less to progress in my opinion. Great 4th wr to have and i can’t wait to see him on some solid returns he’s got some great speed and agility and knows how to use it.

35. By Jeff Gollin on May 26, 2010 | Reply

It will be interesting to see who sticks at the #5 position and whether he makes the roster based on (a) pure talent, (b) what he can bring to special teams and/or (c) how well he fills a specific receiving role.

The competition for that final spot figures to be fierce (with O Jones and Gant having displayed potential a year ago). But one other guy I want to watch closely is Mougey due to his size.

36. By azcardinals3332 on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Andre Johnson is becoming a free agent, would the cardinals ever look into him.

Also, how is our cornerback situation going

37. By darrenurban on May 26, 2010 | Reply

azcardinals3332 —

Not sure where you get that AJ will be a free agent. He’s under contract another five seasons.

The CB situation is unchanged for now.

38. By TucsonTim on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Do you know how many drops Breaston has over the past 2 seasons. I’m guessing that it will be close to zero, which is amazaing considering how many big hits he has taken after the completion. Way under rated by the media; however I doubt many defenses take him for granted.

39. By darrenurban on May 26, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim —

I will try to find out that number.

UPDATE: The Elias Sports Bureau credited Breaston with five drops (77 catches) in 2008 and two (55 catches) in 2009.

40. By sign90now on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Just wondering if this Tyrelle guy is Juamorriss’s cuzzin brother or uncle?

41. By don58 on May 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree were set at WR. How bout moving Letuie to Chicago for Greg Olsen. We need a athletic tight end and this guy can make it hard for LB to cover him. What do u think Darren?

42. By darrenurban on May 27, 2010 | Reply

don58 —

As I told you on another thread, “Deuce is unsigned. The Bears don’t want to trade Olsen. Not happening.”

43. By TucsonTim on May 27, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren. Breaston is a play maker. I hope he stays well enough to play for several more years. The other thing I like about this kid is he signed his contract, didn’t belly ache about not making 10 million dollars, and showed up for all of the non mandatory stuff.

44. By TucsonTim on May 27, 2010 | Reply

For all of the OLSEN fans. He and Q had the same agent last year when I thought that would have made a good trade. this year there was no way they would have traded Olsen for Q, Do we really need another receiver.