A-Dub made a pick too

Posted by Darren Urban on May 27, 2010 – 4:23 pm

It is possible, in my rush to get you, loyal readers, a quick post-practice update earlier that I could have missed a detail or two. I might have forgotten to mention the play by CB Greg Toler to get his hands on a Derek Anderson pass intended for TE Anthony Becht, a ball that popped into the air before S Adrian Wilson grabbed it for the interception before tumbling to the ground. Yep, I might have been better served to point out that defensive play I suppose — I think No. 9 would agree.

The defense has made its share of plays out there. I don’t want anyone getting the wrong idea (and methinks neither does A-Dub).

One other random thought from this week that I keep meaning to mention: When the practices are over, rookie nose tackle Dan Williams, whenever he is ready to head to the locker room, makes an effort to jog from the fields to the locker room doors. He’s not sprinting by any means, and, because the players have usually finished with a run, he is usually pretty gassed. But he doesn’t walk, and to me, it just strikes me as a little extra effort you like to see out of a rookie.

That’s about all for now. The building is just about deserted, it seems. The offices are closed tomorrow, the players are long gone and with Memorial Day Monday, work is the furthest thing from anyone’s minds. I plan on reacting the same (although I will probably post some new photos later today or tomorrow; what can I say, I love my job).

The No. 9 Adrian is wearing, by the way, is going to be retired by his high school in a couple of weeks and I will have the honor of chronicling that.

First I’ll chronicle the good defensive plays during OTAs, though. Assuming I don’t forget.

Tags: ,

25 Responses to “A-Dub made a pick too”

1. By Joe-B on May 27, 2010 | Reply

He should keep the black visor and the sleeves during the regular season. Makes him look even more intimidating.

What are your thoughts on Pat Tillman making it into the College Football Hall of Fame?

2. By darrenurban on May 27, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

I think Tillman was a great college linebacker. I am an ASU alum, so that 1996 team — which he starred for — was special.

3. By MOE on May 27, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    how are you . wanted to see is toler looking like the starter as far as him and adams are battling for that cb spot and how are the dbs faring out i know you had mentioned earlier that they did alot of passing this week and how about max hall if you had to pick which out of the 2 is looking a bit more prepared or making plays should i say well thanks for your time

4. By BigAl on May 27, 2010 | Reply

It is outstanding that Dan Williams has that inner motivation that pushes himself above and beyone what others expect of him. It’s exciting to hear!

5. By Michael on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Off Topic again Darren:)
    Being a Cards fan I can only applaud this website. News everyday, pics and video – PERFECT.
    But, pleeeease make it so we can get it on podcast:)

6. By cardattac on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Yeah man I really like the black visor too. He should totally wear it come game day. Is it just me or dose A-DUB seem to get better every year. He is like our very own Ray Lewis…. Sept better cuz he plays for the CARDS!!! I love it!!! Oh and Joe-B…. If you just read Darren reports and listen to what his teammates have so say…. Kerry Rhodes…. about Matt and how he is doin…. There aren’t really any rummers that hold any water….. In my opinion anyway…. GO CARDS!!!

7. By Rugbymuffin on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey, hey, hey!

Is some big bully of a strong safety strong arming our team reporter in order to push his defensive agenda ?

I got your back Darren, A-Dub is still only 230 lbs. LOL.

8. By card62 on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Good to see a 22 year old millionaire hustle. Keep up the good work Dan Williams and hopefully we will see you on the field on opening day.
    Go Cards !.

9. By cardsfan808 on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren! The insight on Williams is the type of tidbit information die hard fans want to hear about. Hopefully these little habits add up to a successful work ethic needed to be successful in the NFL.

10. By darrenurban on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Moe —

That’s one long run-on sentence.

Toler is starting right now. I don’t think that’s going to change.

11. By darrenurban on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Michael —

Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking for more podcasts? Video for iPods? What?

12. By darrenurban on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Rugby —

Adrian may have said something.

But let me make one thing clear: Considering I have covered this team as long as Adrian has been around, there isn’t a player I have more respect for than A-Dub. I’d like to think we have a good relationship. And he was right — I should’ve mentioned the good defensive plays yesterday. :)

13. By kingdiamond on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren~

It reads/sounds like ADUB is rather concerned with his headlines which is very un ADUB like. I just hope that you have all your arms and fingers in tact so you can keep posting!

14. By kingdiamond on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren~

Like many other readers, I must comment that I too am quite impressed with the quality and frequency of the posts. I hope the Bidwills are paying you a ton of money because you earn every penny! Just another reason, I hope all your digits are still intact!

15. By Michael on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Yes please. When u can put on the Web u should be able to put the videos on iTunes:)

16. By darrenurban on May 28, 2010 | Reply

King —

He never said one word about himself. He was all about the defense as a whole.

But I wasn’t gonna let him off that easy. ;)

17. By darrenurban on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Michael —

Here’s part of the problem though — I put it on iTunes, it means less hits on the website.

But we may try to put a few more on iTunes.

18. By Tommy Norris on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Is it just me or does Adrian look more “Menacing” in #9 than #24? I wish he could wear that in games. Oh well…stupid NFL #ing rules.

19. By Joe-B on May 28, 2010 | Reply

@cardattac

Yeah, I’m here all the time, and I am just getting annoyed by all of the rumors since from what I hear on this blog Leinart and everyone else looks alright in the OTAs.

20. By cactus jeff on May 28, 2010 | Reply

I think our eyes don’t lie when watching rookies for the first time, physically does Williams separate himself from the other lineman? How about the rest of the rookies?

21. By BigAl on May 28, 2010 | Reply

This is regarding Dan Bickley reporting in national media that Leinart was ‘godawful’ in OTAs, and that we would be begging for Warner to come back very shortly. I’m not so much concerned about it’s truthfulness, because the team has been a reliable resource to get the skinny in the past. What bother’s me is that a local news guy would go to the national media with such speculative analysis without verifying it’s accuracy. It also smacks of shallow self-aggrandisement in running to a national media already predisposed to report negatively on Leinart and by default the Cardinals. I guess my question is why wouldn’t he report his speculation on his radio show or newpaper
    article locally? Clearly, this bothers me. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

22. By darrenurban on May 29, 2010 | Reply

Cactus Jeff —

Well, I’m not as certain. When you watch practice — you being non-coaches and players, like myself — I think you have to be careful. I don’t know what plays are being run, where players are supposed to be. I can notice obvious things, but not always the rest. Does Williams separate himself physically? Not really. All these guys are on the same plateau physically. That’s how they end up in the NFL. Besides, just because a guy looks the part doesn’t mean he can play.

23. By brad oneill on May 29, 2010 | Reply

It is very exciting to hear williams is giving a little extra effort. or maybe he just has to go to the bathroom and wants to get there before Herman? just kidding i am so happy to have a Team that is full of men that want to be there and want to win. i spent years just finding a player or two to root for on this team and just kind of hoping for miracles come game time. but now i finally have a whole team and a coach i can really get behind and cheer for thanks for the effort guys.

as for Tillman making the college hall of fame. as a uofa allumnist who lived in Tempe he actually had me cheering for ASU in every game but one. The guy deserves far more than a hall of fame birth we should all be naming our kids after him.

24. By cactus jeff on May 29, 2010 | Reply

Disagree, DD is a freak so was the Freak (Jevon Kearse) with his wingspan. Usually there is something physically that sets them apart. Fitz and Boldin are men among boys, Some players have a burst that sets them apart (see Dewight Freeney). Beanie is an excellent example, first time I saw him run in the preseason I was excited. He may not have the football IQ to make him a perennial all-pro but he passes the eye test to be great.
    Does Williams separate himself physically from the rest of the lineman? You say not really. All of a sudden I’m not as optimistic over our draft. But I will say this, the LB from Wisconsin is the real deal, if he were practicing you would be gushing over him. He has a bust that is obvious to the untrained eye

25. By Jeff Curlee on Jun 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren… love the posts..Adrian is definitely one of a kind. We went to high school together, and it’s awesome how much pride he takes in his team , and that’s an extension of the high school we went to.. It defines what it meant to be a Red Raider… unfortunately, the school you will visit this thursday for the retirement of the jersey is just a shell of what it used to be.. but Adrian is an A+ example of a professional athlete, and I’ve enjoyed watching him ever since his first football game ever where he had three interceptions!… enjoy High Point.. I hope to make it out to the ceremony as well..