Ho-hum … another Fitz catch of note

Posted by Darren Urban on June 1, 2010 – 1:45 pm

It was early in today’s OTAs. The quarterbacks and pass catchers were going through the drill in which five receivers go out in patterns and the four QBs (plus a coach) throw passes to each. I have no idea who threw the ball to Larry Fitzgerald, who was running half-speed down the right sideline, but it was a bit back over the wrong shoulder. Without a pause — and looking like he had planned it the whole way, Fitz reached back with his right hand, twisting his body, and snatched the ball from the air one-handed. No fuss, no muss and certainly no bobble. Incredible.

I was furiously scribbling down the play to note when the director of pro personnel T.J. McCreight came walking down the sideline on which I was standing asking if I had indeed seen it. Turns out McCreight was equally impressed and wanted to talk about with someone — yet it seemed almost everyone on the sideline was deep in their own conversation or looking elsewhere.

Note to self: Don’t ever become jaded at some of the marvelously athletic plays I get to see often.

Back with OTAs today after the long weekend:

– Coach Ken Whisenhunt said Onrea Jones has, at least early on, established himself as the leader in the fight for the fourth receiver spot. “O.J. has done a great job of working hard, made a lot of plays in the OTAs and did a good job for us last year on the practice squad,” Whisenhunt said.

– Under the category of this-is-what-OTAs-are-for, the Cards worked Brandon Keith some at left tackle today (Keith has been working as first-string right tackle) and Jeremy Bridges got some work at right tackle. Versatility is what the Cards are looking for, and it helps with the offensive line depth they have built.

– Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie tried to give it a go on his sore toe today, but he had to shut it down after awhile. Linebacker Gerald Hayes remains working on the side with his back issues.

I’ll have more in a notebook I post this afternoon on the home page.

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Ho-hum … another Fitz catch of note”

1. By www.scottcookhomes.com on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

We have been lucky to have a string of great WRs over the past 10 years. Hopefully with a more dominant run game we will be able to see them get open more often.

2. By mike white on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

what is the ota schedule for the rest of this week? Is it a good time to come hang arround the complex and get autographs?

3. By darrenurban on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Mike White —

The team is scheduled to have OTAs through Friday. I can’t really say if it’s a good time for autographs. Tough to know.

4. By bobF on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

I’m going to start a petition to no call him “O.J.”

5. By K-DUB on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

What Cardinals would you recommened for a first round pick in a Fantasy Draft?

6. By darrenurban on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

Let me get to training camp first. Until we have an idea of how the offense will work, it’s just too early to make that call. I know I wouldn’t want to have my fantasy draft in June.

7. By BDMag on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

For all the bad luck and horrible results the Cards had for 50+ years, they sure have been blessed with players like Fitz and Kurt and a coach like Whiz. Wish I had seen the carch.

8. By AdamsFan#1 on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Darren for the all updates. I enjoy reading your updates all the time. Thanks. Go Cards

9. By Scott H on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Are they taking applications for your job??? ‘Cause if they are, I want one! Standing along the sidelines and watching Larry Fitzgerald making spectacular catches at the Cardinals practice facility somehow just sounds better than anything I did at work today…perhaps you could use an apprentice, or something? Someone to get your coffee and drive you to work in the morning? Whatever, man, I’m ready!

10. By darrenurban on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I appreciate the offer. Alas, I work alone.

11. By UnHoly Diver on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Much like the Great Albert Pujols, Fitz continues to amaze, even if it was “just” in OTAs. You learn not to take these guys for granted and appreciate them for their incredible talent.

12. By nolan on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

darren ilove your articles and i know you will give me an honest answer so why havent we heard much about dayl washington throughut the offseason?

13. By Chris Nelson on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Lol but just think if you took an appretice you could pay more attention to the extrodanary athletics going on all the time… Lol just a thought!

14. By darrenurban on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Nolan —

It’s so early. Daryl has been a part of, including minicamp, exactly 12 workouts. And he’s working with the second team. I don’t think there was ever much to hear from him in the first place.

15. By Andynosaure on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren, you should now this : “Always two there are. No more, no less. A master… and an apprentice.” That’s why I think you should consider Scott’s offer ! By the way, thanks for all your wise comments on our favourite team…

16. By dylan on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

i love the fact Whiz seems to have a lot of confidence in leinart and yes its only otas but even kerry rhodes said matt leinart has surpised him im liking this season

17. By TucsonTim on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

So Whiz finally has something good to say about Leinart. Would have been nice to see that in print before he saw Anderson in the OTA’s.

18. By Gang6230 on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

This is great news people. All this means it’s coming toghether. The team is improving. The men are maturing in the field and they will be great competitors to be wrecken with. Go Cards another great season.

19. By Bryan on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    How is DRC’s knee?
    Thanks

20. By darrenurban on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Bryan —

DRC’s knee is fine.

21. By cardattac on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren…. Welcome back man. So what is up with DRC’s toe….. Do you know??? MAN….! if its not one thing it another.

Oh and TucsonTim… from one Tucstonan to anther. when has Whiz ever said anything bad about Matt?? All I ever heard from him were positive things. Don’t Hate on my boy dude!!! LOL GO CARDS!!!

22. By darrenurban on Jun 1, 2010 | Reply

Cardattac —

DRC has a sore toe. It’s not a big long-term deal, but they aren’t going to force anything in June. He will be fine.

23. By Scott H on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

See? I’m not the only one who thinks me becoming your apprentice is a great idea! We’re only thinking of you, of course…we don’t want to see you wear yourself out and cut your career short as a result. You’re too important to the cause. I offer to make this sacrifice for the commem good. So…cream and sugar?

24. By Matto on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

From someone somewhat uneducated in the world of off season activities, when will the players begin wearing pads in their workouts?

Cheers.

25. By darrenurban on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

Matto —

Pads don’t go on until training camp.

26. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jun 2, 2010 | Reply

While Larry had a good 2009 season with defenders paying a lot more attention to him than in 2008, it seemed to me like he dropped a few more balls in 2009 than he did in 2008. The Sunday night Giants game (trick play endzone drop) and the Saints game (Leinart throw to the endzone) are two drops that come to mind. I don’t have the stats and could be way off base on this (as I don’t get to see all the Cards games up here in Wisconsin), but that was my general impression. If Fitz didn’t have the big breakout season in 2008, I probably wouldn’t have even noticed. He’s set the bar quite high for himself and never seems satisfied which is why he’s my favorite Cardinal receiver of all time.