Lutui makes a change

Posted by Darren Urban on June 3, 2010 – 4:06 pm

In news that probably isn’t a shock, unsigned restricted free agent guard Deuce Lutui has changed agents, according to Kent Somers. I’m not sure if anything will change in terms of Lutui’s status, however. If his former agent was the one pushing for Lutui to stay away, then I suppose his new representation may say, “Sign.” But if it had been Lutui’s preference to stay away — and his former agent was telling him to sign, leading to the breakup — then this won’t mean much in the grand scheme.

As as been noted many times, Lutui has until June 15 to sign his $1.76 million tender or the Cards could lower it to 110 percent of his 2009 salary of $535,000, or $588,500. But I think the Cards still see Lutui as a long-term piece, and lowering the offer could strain a relationship that, at least from Lutui’s side, already seems strained.

Tags:

21 Responses to “Lutui makes a change”

1. By Barry on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

It would be nice if he would sign it would show a bit of loyalty to the team..this pay is not a shot at him but the way things worked out. I’m sure in the longrun a deal will be made where he will be compensated. Its making him look like an a%$ and I’m sure he’s losing respect from his fans too. Its hard not to notice the O-line depth has increased in his absence. Something he should be more worried about!

2. By cardattac on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren…. Cool story on Muhtadi. He seems like a really cool guy and good form the team spirit. My thoughts on Lutui….. I hope it was his agent tellin him not to come to workouts or sign and to hold out. Cuz comon man he is only hurting himself. On the other hand….. If he is just bein selfish then we dont need his childish attitude. In my opinion. We have plenty of talent plus a good mix of vets and young players for the O line. We dont really need him. That bein said….. I hope he pulls his head out of his A** and comes to fight for a spot now and play some heart filled football for us!!! GO CARDS!!!

Thanks D… I appreciate your work.

3. By fightingbird on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

This is about Muhtadi , I think this guy is a must for the Cards hes a bull. Sometimes you just have to find someway to put a guy on . Ive seen unknowns come in and all of the sudden they are big time players.

4. By Cardsfan928 on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

Ditch him…Sorry duece you arent anything special to warrant a long time deal, and seeing as we drafted a guard last year, and signed another one this offseason you wont get it unless we see you dozing an LB and DB downfield for the Beantower all season long.

5. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

Remember Boldin changed his agent and all that did was get him out of down faster.

6. By black on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Im with Cardsfan928. Well put.

7. By Mack on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Since Rolle was our “WildCat”. I dont know if someone already asked this, but i think Kerry Rhodes played some High School Qb. So mabey we can run some plays for him this year at the wildcat?

8. By BigAl on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s funny hearing people so quick to ditch a starting piece of a offense thats been in the top 10 for 3 year, took us to the Superbowl, and won the division back to back. Duece is a 4 year starter who hasn’t complained in that entire time. Not sure about you guys, but someone at my job who is performing. consistent, and been a team player for years be would be allowed a brain fart every five or so years.

9. By darrenurban on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

Maybe.

10. By Peter in Canada on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Right on Big Al. People forget that this is a business. He has to get as much as he can as long as he is able because post retirement life for NFL players and especially linemen is not always a bed of roses ie. Jim Otto, Mick Tinglehoff to name just two.

11. By card62 on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

I said a long time ago I like Lutui, I have no problem with him taking otas off after 4 years, and I see him starting for us this year, but why do you need a new agent just to sign a piece of paper? Hopefully the new agent is to work out a long term deal with the Cardinals, and not to play hardball with the Cards to deal Lutui. I do see us dealing a lineman before the season starts for a CB I just do not know which one as of today.
    Go Cards!

12. By James Wine on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Big Al— Makes sense.

But I do believe others are getting nervous about this given predicament we find ourselves in, and are in search of someone to blame..

13. By 949Cardsfan on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Memo to duece…

Dude your not that good! You havent done anything in this league. You’re still in a take what they give you position, you have no leverage. Your only hurting yourself, and your chances at success in this league. As you can see, the machine doesnt stop, just keeps rolling forward, with or without you.

14. By shannonrobinson on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Gotta have those Polynesians! They make a great difference on a team’s toughness – they have enormous strength and a will to inflict pain. You can’t just like a Samoan only when you want – they see you on a team as family and they are in for you 100%. If he’s hard to get along with sometimes then take notice that’s the way he plays. If you like him when he grabs the other team’s player by the throat then don’t get upset when he grabs you. Samoans are volatile and sweet as pie and the team will tell you, good dancers. And, there will be injuries on this offensive line, so nobody’s expendable.

15. By FightOn on Jun 5, 2010 | Reply

I still think the sticking point is the one year deal..not the money. From what I know of Deuce, he’s a passionate, emotional guy..and extremely loyal. Maybe he thinks the team is not being loyal to him…not saying it’s correct, but the way Deuce sees it. Shannon pretty much has it correct, we’ve had tons of Poly players on my college team, you cannot ask for meaner, tougher players on the field, or bigger sweethearts off of it…but don’t disrespect them though, ever.

16. By KevC on Jun 6, 2010 | Reply

This is just part of the business. I hope Deuce comes back and stays for a long time. He’s good.

17. By Kennedy Ray on Jun 6, 2010 | Reply

Coach, give Kendall Simmons a chance. The guy has had injuries, yes but he is a superbowl contributor. If Deuce has not made up his mind by now he does not want to play. Give Simmons a chance, yiou know what he can do along side Faneca!!!!!!!

18. By William Barry on Jun 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Duece should sign with the Cards, and forget about the length of his contract…..We should not disrupt the flow of the preseason….GO CARDS!!!!

AZCARD12

19. By Scott H on Jun 7, 2010 | Reply

I just don’t get what Deuce thinks this is going to accomplish…especially with, what, one week before his signing deadline??? He’s a solid player and one that I’d prefer to see remain in Cardinal red. But at the same time, this ain’t exactly a perennial Pro-Bowler here…does his new agent know that??? What does a new agent do for him at this point???

Mack –
    Interesting question but I say forget about the Wildcat stuff altogether. The Dolphins did some exciting stuff for one season and that was pretty much it. Really, if you think about it, the Wildcat stuff is what teams do when they aren’t very good on offense and they need a bunch of gadgetry to try to create some big plays. What has it done for anyone??? It can’t make a bad team good and it doesn’t make a good team better. Honestly, I want to believe that the Cardinals are good enough to succeed just playing straight-up football. If they’re not good enough…the Wildcat ain’t gonna save them.

20. By johnnybluenose on Jun 7, 2010 | Reply

i hope lutui signs and makes the team because he was one of the guys who helped the cards become winners. but that was yesterday and he must know that he hasn’t helped himself by staying away and he’s fighting for a back-up spot now. not exactly where he expected to be, i’m guessing.

21. By darrenurban on Jun 7, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Don’t forget that in a week is just a deadline in terms of the Cards having an option to lower their tender offer. He doesn’t have to sign necessarily. And the Cards don’t necessarily have to lower the tender, especially if they still hope to have a long-term relationship with Deuce.