Dock and the Sheik

Posted by Darren Urban on June 4, 2010 – 10:27 am

It’s hard not to root for a guy like Dean Muhtadi, as I noted in my column yesterday. But he’s not just the underdog. He’s doing the Cardinals some good in becoming the workout partner of Darnell Dockett. It was a pairing suggested by strength coach John Lott.

“Dock pulled 475 pounds (the other day) in the clean,” Lott said. “I’ll put that number against anyone in the National Football League. It’s not just because of Sheik, but Sheik lifts Dock to another level.”

Dockett took Muhtadi on, telling Muhtadi — when there were workouts only and no on-field work — that he needed to switch to the 7:30 a.m. group from 10 a.m., because that’s when the Pro Bowler would be there. “He’s going to keep up with your pace,” Dockett said of the man everyone calls “Iron Sheik.” “We push each other. We have no down time.”

The day Dockett was lifting 475 pounds on the clean, Lott said, Muhtadi was at 455 pounds. That fits Muhtadi fine. “I loved it here from day one when I found out John Lott was the strength coach,” he said. “This is my place because I am the ultimate meathead.”

Said Lott, “Sheik may be humble, which I like, but he’s got some talent himself. I just hope that motor he has — and he can run for a big man — will help him with us. Maybe he can find a way to scratch and claw on this team.”

Until then, he’ll push Dockett in the weight room, which Lott says Dockett embraces. “Dockett is a beast on the field for a reason, and one of them, his secret weapon, is that he is a beast in here for me.”

Tags: , ,

20 Responses to “Dock and the Sheik”

1. By DRC#1FAN on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

I love this sotry., GO SHEIK!!!! with our Dline rotation and the age of Robinson and Watsons knee problems. This guy has more of a chance as a number 2 than he thinks. at least thats my opinion

2. By bobF on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Kinda sad that all of these stories make you root for these guys and see them without a job in the Fall. Good luck to the Sheik. Sounds like a great guy to have around.

3. By cardattac on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Man I am so glad that Darnell is finally taking part in the off season work. Things like this come up. Not only is it good for him and obviously the team but also for an individual like Muhtadi. Who is already makin an impression on Whiz and others with a great attitude, but to be keepin up with Darnell…. and push him too. Awesome!!! I love it!!!

4. By Rugbymuffin on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

On the Sheik bandwagon.

He may have an uphill climb to beat out Williams, Robinson, or Watson this year.

But, I would assume it is not going too far out on a limb to say he has an oppourtunity to compete against Jason Banks, and Kelien Dykes for a practice squad spot.

Strong enough to hold up at NT, and fast enough to do what you need at DE sounds like a good practice squad canidate.

Go get’em Sheik.

5. By Mack on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

This is off-topic. But where do you think Atogwe lands?
    i hope he goes to the Eagles and not the Niners or the Rams.

6. By fightingbird on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Like I said yesterday in the Lutui makes a change column , the cards need this guy and I think they may need to find a spot for him but this is only my opinion and of course everyone has an opinion.

7. By jzcardinal on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

wow 475 lb clean?..

thats impressive

8. By fightingbird on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren got a question for ya. On this Dean Muhtadi I know that he is a DE/DT but how hard would it be to maybe convert him into a inside LB since he has real good speed and strong as a bull or even on the O side maybe a back up center I dont know just reaching but I think hes willing to do almost anything to make it in Arizona. I believe he would be the waterboy if hes asked to do it.

9. By darrenurban on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

Not sure. I don’t see the Niners signing him.

10. By darrenurban on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Fightingbird —

I am sure Dean would play wherever they ask. But you’re not getting a 6-4, 310 pound guy to play LB. He’s athletic for a Dlineman. He’s not athletic for an inside linebacker.

11. By joe on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey D. Do you think mark washington will get a good look this year? I remember them being somewhat high on him last year as a rook. I saw some footage of a couple of his workouts and he looked impressive. what do you think? could they be grooming him to take over for g-hayes next year.

12. By darrenurban on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Joe —

I will have a story on Washington, probably next week. He is an OLB, however, not an ILB.

13. By LadyCard04 on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Great to welcome the Shiek! We love having players with a great attitude about where they are and how lucky they are to be here. His positive attitude should be infectious to the rest of the locker room. Glad to see Dockett has someone to “play” with in the weight room.

14. By Greg on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

You gotta love the chemistry of the entire organization and this is another example. It’s amazing how far it has come since the SDS days.

15. By brad oneill on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

i hope this Sheik guy gets a job with the cardinals. i love a guy that fights with a smile.

I saw some footage on here of number 97 Bryan Robinson and couldn’t believe how well he was moving in ota’s. that man is seriously fast!

has anyone heard how Herman Johnson is doing?

16. By fightingbird on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

If a player is put on the practice squad , cant any team come in and sign that player ?.

17. By moe on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

i like stories like these shows how much unity their is within the cards locker room i expect the cards to be explosive this yr another super bowl run MAN

18. By darrenurban on Jun 4, 2010 | Reply

Fightingbird —

Yes, but if they do, he must be put on his new team’s active 53-man roster. He can’t be put on the practice squad.

19. By Garrett on Jun 5, 2010 | Reply

I really like Muhtadi after watching some film on him, but I also attended Christopher Newport University. It looks like he relies on strength over technique, but any article you read about the guy tells you he is smart and eager to help the team in any way. Green Bay cutting him is worrisome but I’d love to see his resolve. Ultimately he might not be a stud starter as a depth/special teams/locker room guy I think he merits a spot.

20. By fightingbird on Jun 5, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren Im glad you answered the practice squad question . If the cards put him on the practice squad atleast he has a chance at something and not a chance at nothing.