• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

A-Dub comes home

Posted by Darren Urban on June 10, 2010 – 5:28 am

As I have mentioned before, I’m out in North Carolina with Adrian Wilson while Wilson waits to get his high school jersey number retired tonight at his former high school. It’s a huge deal to A-Dub, who has always felt legacy — in the NFL, and even from his high school days — is so important. Wilson wants to make his mark in this world — “a good mark” as he told me — and this is part of that. (Here is the link to the local story about the event).

So yesterday, he took myself and Johnny Hayward from the broadcasting department (and his closest friends, Adrian Mack and Anthony Johnson) on a two-hour-plus trip around his hometown of High Point, pointing out places he had been when he grew up and taking us to his high school — including the weight room (pictured below) where Adrian Wilson first began turning into A-Dub.

“I feel,” Wilson said at one point, “like I’m 17 again.”

I am very much looking forward to writing this story.

Tags:

13 Responses to “A-Dub comes home”

1. By DRC#1FAN on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

LOVE YOU ADUB!!!

2. By Jesse Robles on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

ADUB, One of my favorite Cards… up there with Williams and Tillman, good to see guys want to retire here, I love it, GO CARDS!!!!

3. By LadyCard04 on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

This is a “BIG DEAL” for Wilson…congratulations and enjoy every minute. All of us work hard and few of us get the recognition. Great to see someone who has loyalty to his high school to be a part of this for them. Glad he wants to spend his career in Phoenix and hope management keeps him. Business has gotten so competitive that it’s hard to be able to keep good players and still pay them fairly.

4. By kingdiamond on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

A quality person!

5. By Big Red on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

For the years ANQUAN BOLDIN was a Cardinal, I would always ware his jersey number. There’s no one better than Wilson’s # to replace my new Cardinal jersey. Go CARDINALS!

6. By R Robles on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

The Best Safety In The West.Thanks Adrain For Staying With Us All These Years.No Sell Out.Whats up Cousin Jesse.Haha

7. By Don't Take Losses on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

A-Dub rules the roost.

8. By Voice of Reason on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

Wilson is about the best example of what you want part of your organization. Not bad for a third round pick that many went “huh?” when the pick came down.

Congratulations, A-Dub!

9. By Phil on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

Congrats A-Dub!

10. By Boondock on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

A-Dub will get to the 30/30 club, be in the Ring of Honor, maybe retire his number? Been my favorite Cardinal since we first drafted him and he blew people up on special teams.

11. By Jcaswellsr on Jun 10, 2010 | Reply

So why they retiring his number in the summer? Could of been during the bye week or something. You know during HS Football season.

12. By Scott H on Jun 12, 2010 | Reply

Wilson is right up there with Aeneas Williams as one of the greatest and classiest Cardinal players of my life-time ( 45 years ) and maybe then some. Williams devoted as much of his career to the Cardinals as he could until he realized he just wasn’t going to taste any post-season glory here. When he left, there was no bitterness for me at all. I wished him well and cheered the Rame when they won the Super Bowl with him. But I don’t want to see it play out that way with Wilson. Now that we HAVE had the post-season glory these past few years, it’s a whole different feeling. There’s a feeling that it can happen here, so Wilson doesn’t have to go anywhere! And I hope he never does.

13. By FightOn on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

I love Adrian Wilson, he is everything an NFL player should be, on and off the field. I wouldn’t trade him for anyone!