Wilson’s five-year plan

Posted by Darren Urban on June 10, 2010 – 8:49 pm

It’s been a whirlwind two days covering Adrian Wilson’s jersey retirement ceremony. There is a lot to sort through (but I will have the ceremony story up Friday afternoon). One thing Wilson did tell me this evening as the event finally started winding down — he is hoping to play five more NFL seasons. Talking about feeling old in light of Thursday night’s presentation, Wilson (below with friend Adrian Mack and Cardinals director of pro personnel Steve Keim in the Andrews High School gym) contemplated his future.

“I’m not saying they are going to kick me out anytime soon,” said Wilson, who will be 31 on Oct. 12 during his 10th NFL season. “I plan on playing another five years and then hanging it up. If it was all said and done today, though, I’d be happy with my career. I’d be content with it.”

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Wilson’s five-year plan”

1. By R Robles on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

I Want To See The Cardinals #24 Hold Up The Lombardi Trophy Before Those 5 Years Are Up.

2. By BluePitt on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

You Are The Man A Dub!!!!!

3. By Patrick Rodriguez on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

I’m a HUGE fan of A-DUB. This guys has and continues to be a great on and off the field. And is a important asset to the NFL and Cardinals organization. On top of that he’s a man with great character. I think when it’s all said and done he could blossom into one of the best safties in recent memory. I think A-DUB’s number should be retired if he makes it to Canton.

4. By paydaman90 on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

True professional on and off the field. Hate the thought of life after A-dub though, so that’s all i got.

5. By beauchamp on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

i hope he does another five yrs. We need that time to groom someone behind him. From pat tillman to adrian wilson, whoever comes next has enormous shoes to fill. They both epitomize what makes arizonans proud of their football team, both are men i modeled my game after and my mentality. I hope others take away from their character and play as much as possible. I hope you agree darren! I’ll see you all at training camp soon!

6. By andy Garcia on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

haha a-dubs friend looks kinda like chris rock.. but yeah like sated erlier i hope that when he does retire we retire his number as well, and have a wall poster of him holding up the lombardie trophy..

7. By kingdiamond on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

A Dub is a true role model. He is the model NFL player too! I hope to see him hold up the Lombardi Trophy and then next to Canton!

8. By Ironwill on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

R Robles….

Not to worry… I have a strong feeling he will ;)

9. By azcardsrule on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

best blitzing safety in nfl history hope he can lead our defense back to the superbowl

10. By Scott H on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

I think there’s no mystery to why the Cardinals have reached the level they have these past few years…and why they hadn’t been able to reach that level for several decades prior to that. It was due to the presence of guys like Wilson, Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, and a few others who gave you the best of all worlds. They were Pro Bowlers ( maybe Hall of Famers, all of them, someday ) on the field and high-class, high character guys off the field. They were / are guys whose jerseys you with pride, and who you hope your kids will choose as role models. They’re guys who spend their time working their butts off to be the best they can instead of holding out and griping about their contracts. It’s no surprise that the only Super Bowl this team has ever been to happened when these guys were here together and leading this team. If Adrian wants to go for five more years, I hope they’ll all be in Cardinals red. Or white. Or black. Hey, he’ll knock you into next week no matter what color he wears!

11. By dennygreenhahaha on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

30/30 club

12. By Cardsfan928 on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

Oh yeah…I bet he has 2 rings by then…then I hope to hear him with wolfley..

13. By DRC#1FAN on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

I think we are about to see Adrians first year. He is gonna recapture the drive of a young stud headed to college and then starting in the NFL. but he will have his veteran wisdom to guide him. Watch out. this year is ADUBS!!!!

14. By AzCardsFan911 on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

hey darren, when does camp officially start? when is the scrimmage/ red and white game? ive never been to camp and im going for sure this year! is there going to be a schedule released for the fans so we can know when to attend?

15. By darrenurban on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

AzCardsFan —

The dates haven’t been released yet. But teams can report 15 days before their first preseason game, so you can probably figure out the math. And the Red/White practice is usually the Saturday before the first preseason weekend.

16. By Don't Take Losses on Jun 12, 2010 | Reply

Very nice story you wrote about him on the front page.

17. By CMacyn on Jun 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren- I was on youtube looking at highlights of our team and I did not see one involving Rashad Johnson. I was wondering how how is looking, I know there is no pads at this point in time but is he moving well? Does he seem less confused with assignments? Thank you for the info D.

18. By darrenurban on Jun 12, 2010 | Reply

CMac —

It seems to me Rashad is more comfortable but again, OTAs are not training camp.

19. By Billy Thomas on Jun 13, 2010 | Reply

I really want to see A-Dub hold up the Lombardi. The thing with Wilson is that he stayed with the Cardinals through everything. Through the terrible years he stuck with his team hoping that he could help change a losing tradition. Over the years he has shown what a team with heart and determination can do. We look at so many players who leave successful teams to go find extra money, but Adrian Wilson was willing to stick with a down and out team and show team loyalty. For that, we’re all grateful, and I hope that some day soon, he’ll get his time in the sun up on that big stage!

20. By Chris Nelson on Jun 13, 2010 | Reply

A-Dubs birthday is oct. 12? LOL thats my birthday,… nice to know i share the day with a True Hero and Future Hall of Famer like A-Dub! Thanks Darren, always giving us great stories about the players we love to read about and are proud to call our own!