Rookies work and things quiet down

Posted by Darren Urban on June 14, 2010 – 11:42 am

It’s always odd right after OTAs end. Many of the players, who have been around for weeks, are gone. With attendance so high for the OTAs, the locker room is usually busy. And now it’s not. There are still rookies in place, and so there are still at least, what 16 or so guys, and there are still a couple of veterans (Adrian Wilson this morning! Oh, and Alan Faneca and Clark Haggans, to name two others!) but still, much quieter. The coaches are also, for the most part, gone until camp too (although DB coach Donnie Henderson was still grinding today).

Maybe this is just me saying there isn’t going to be much to report. And that I am taking some vacation very soon myself. I will have my June predictions on September’s starting lineup on the blog the next couple of days, as I have done the last few years. It’s a good way to head into time off.

Obviously, Deuce Lutui signed his contract today. He didn’t want to talk about it, but at least he was pleasant in saying so. I am terrible in judging weights — I mean, the man is supposed to be big in the first place — but honestly, he didn’t look sloppy out of shape. Would I guess John Lott will want him to trim down? Yes, that’s probably a safe bet. I think that’s Deuce’s key to camp. If he can be in decent shape to start, he’s got a chance to quickly get back into the mix. If he is hurting in terms of conditioning and pounds, you know this coaching staff will have issues.

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Rookies work and things quiet down”

1. By LUKE on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

i really hope wells shines and comes as a wakeup call for deuce.ive always been a fan of lutui,being a local,but he needs to shape up.

2. By R Robles on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Deuce Has A Lot Of Potential But Doesnt Use It There Many Times He Could Of Extebded A Play Down Field But Would Stop With Faneca He Keeps Going Till The Whistle Blows.Lets Go Deuce!!

3. By K-DUB on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Does this mean Lutui will go from right to left guard and Faneca will protect Leinart’s back side being the Pro Bowler?

4. By darrenurban on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

No. Not sure why you think that. Faneca will be at LG. Wells and Lutui will battle for RG, I’d guess.

5. By Dave on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren, off subject, but I’ve been wondering a little about Stevie Baggs.
    Being a CFL sack leader last year, I had hopes that he would be able to take the next step and turn into a productive piece of the puzzle for the Cards in 2010. Have you seen anything from the guy that might make you think he will make the roster, or that he has good potential?

6. By brad oneill on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

this is great. Everyone knows this is about business and you can bet the team will give Duece some crap about being fat but hell he has always been fat. the guy has a little catching up to do and his spot is definitely in danger so he should have plenty of motivation to get in there and make it happen. He wants a long term deal and it makes sense for the Cardinals to consider it if he wins back his starting position and if not they will bid good bye to him. This is going to be a good year with the line getting to do a lot more run blocking so now that the contract crap is over with lets see what these guys can do.

7. By darrenurban on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Dave –

I think Baggs is one of those guys who has to be seen in pads and in preseason games. I like the personality and I think he’d work in the locker room, but it’s too early to judge his play.

8. By Chris B on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

And so begins the black-hole of football. Between OTAs and Training camp…. It’s going to be a long few weeks…..

9. By Nikko on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

It’s all about TEAM EFFORT & deuce has just not been that guy!! He’s now behind & not in/ but not outta shape. He needs to buckle down, hit the gym & lose some weight to get back into Starter form, because as of now I don’t see him starting & neither do the Cards! With the addition of Faneca & Hadnot, he may just be in trouble! PROVE ME WRONG DEUCE!!

10. By Scott H on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

To Mr Lutui, I say this – heed the example of the guy who wears #24 for the same team as you….do your job on the field, do it well, and you shall be rewarded. Otherwise, save the drama for yo’ mama. Now, put on the damn pads and let’s get to work!

11. By Dave on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

One more thing Darren, if I may.

I have been excited ever since the Cardinals signed Donnie Henderson. I think a lot of folks don’t consider what an impact he could have on this team in 2010.
    If it were possible to set up a live chat with him I would love that.
    Besides the obvious cliche type questions (Do you think Rhodes is better than Rolle?, to which he would almost assuredly answer “yes”) It would be nice to ask him about the cb’s, about his coaching philosophy, What he thinks the biggest problems were with the secondary last year, etc.

Do you have any impressions about coach Henderson you would care to pass along?

12. By darrenurban on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Dave –

I would say Henderson is the kind of guy who isn’t going to care much if you are a veteran or a rookie, you need to do it the right way. And he’ll let you know about it. I know hearing him blow the whistle out at OTAs took me (and a couple players) back; In a decade covering the NFL, I don’t ever remember hearing a whistle.

13. By card62 on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Duece was not alone as many veterans for other teams also did not show for work. 4 years always at camp so lets cut Duece some slack like we have Dockett and others over the years.. I do believe that we will try to trade Duece or Hadnot before the season starts if we do not have injuries on our o line in the preseason,This does make for a very interesting and competitive camp for our offensive line. I think this will be great for Matt and our stable of running backs so I am excited for September to arrive. Cards fans remember Duece or Wells or Hadnot could even end up playing center with a great camp or injuries to Lyle S. So go Cards and go Lutui play mean and hard and hopefully double your salary next year.

14. By Alex on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, did any of the veteran TEs show up for the workouts, or do you anticipate any of them to? What are your opinions on the possible line-up for that position and do you think one of them will be cut before camp starts? Thanks a lot!!

15. By darrenurban on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

All of the tight ends were here. I do not know if any will be cut before camp; I’d doubt it, actually. As for who are the best candidates, I think Becht and Patrick remain at the top of the list.

16. By Jim Carmody on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Enjoy the down time, Darren. Somehow we will survive without a June breakdown of the guard depth chart.

17. By TucsonTim on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

When you consider all of the talent on this team and this is our only player-contract issue, wow. Just one more reason to believe in this organization.

18. By johnnybluenose on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

i like deuce but i don’t think he’s committed to the cardinals now. i expect him to practise in such a way that graves is forced to cut him or trade him. unless i am totally wrong and he is so angry that he beats the crap out of everyone. i guess we’ll find out soon enough. maybe they teach him to catch, give him #38 and play him at fullback.

19. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Since this is the player’s and coach’s true down time are you aware of any offseason restrictions the Cards have placed, such as Leinart and cellphone cameras, Porter and Taco Bell parking lots and Grimm and hot dogs?
    And I could have sworn Dennis Green used a whistle during OTAs and training camp.

20. By darrenurban on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Jim –

‘Preciate it.

21. By darrenurban on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

Well, I suppose there should be a caveat. Green was the lone coach who closed practices, so I guess I wouldn’t know that for sure.

22. By cardattac on Jun 14, 2010 | Reply

Well how does it feel to be the one card out of 80 some that didn’t show up for practice Deuce?? I hope your ready to fight for your spot back. But I think its to late mang. We have to many guys who have worked hard this offseason…. unlike you…. who probably will get the starting roll over you. Cuz in my opinion this team is alot farther along at this point.. AS A TEAM then at this time last year even. If you miss a couple days of work you probably miss more then you think. This team wants to win and if your only thinkin of yourself your gonna get lift behind bro;( Bummer for you. Good luck Deuce.

23. By Ginger Sirlin on Jun 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know the dates for training camp yet (specifically the “Red/White” scrimmage)? Let me know when you get a chance.
    Ginger

24. By KG on Jun 15, 2010 | Reply

I say trade him. He is upset that he doesn’t have a long term deal? Well get in line. There are other people on the team that deserve it before Deuce does. I think it’s funny how all these guys are mad about not being unrestricted free agents, when they were the ones that agreed to this CBA in the first place. You don’t get rewarded in this organization anymore for doing stuff like this. If he wants a new deal, he needs to show up and stay quiet and go to work. Dockett wants a new deal, but he showed up and hasn’t said much about his status. A-Dub didn’t say a word when his contract was ending and he showed up for workouts. In my opinion, Deuce hasn’t played consistently enough to have long term deal demands. With the new additions and guys like Johnson and Keith ready to be in the mix, the line is solid without him and he is an expendable piece. Get him out of here and get a draft pick for him.

25. By darrenurban on Jun 15, 2010 | Reply

Ginger –

No dates have been officially announced. But the team can’t start until 15 days before the first preseason game (Aug. 14) and the red-white scrimmage is usually the weekend before the first preseason game. So you can probably do the math.

26. By brad oneill on Jun 15, 2010 | Reply

signing a one year deal may be the best thing that ever happened to Deuce. I think most of us believe Beanie and Hightower are going to have spectacular years and if Deuce is a part of a line that helps make Beanie a star he just may be able to cash in on the success either with the cards or with someone else.

i dont think he was being greedy i think he was just looking for a little stability in his life and would have liked to have seen some love from the cardinals. not signing him to a multiyear deal this year could end up costing the cards some big money next year. i guess management is betting that the cards won’t be as spectacular on the ground as i think they have the potential to be.

27. By Nikko on Jun 15, 2010 | Reply

brad oneill-

your right, he’s not being GREEDY, he’s just not being a TEAM PLAYER!! The Cardinals have HIGHER PROFILE players to take care of first like dockett for 1!! The Cardinals have the best line in the NFC WEST & with the addition of Alan Faneca alone, Duece is plenty expendable because Faneca is way better & thrives on the run game!! Therefor Deuce or no Deuce, Beanie Wells & Tim Hightower will both have great season!! Wells will have at least 1200 yards & 10 TD’s. Hightower shouldn’t be far behind that seeing that Coach Whisenhunt like’s what Hightower is about & what he brings to the game!! Coach Whisenhunt will still be splitting the touch’s between both guys, not to mention, Hightower will be the starter.

28. By brad oneill on Jun 17, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren- i know its probably too late and you are happily enjoying your vacation but maybe next time you decide to selfishly have a life outside of work you could get a guest blogger to fill in like maybe Wolf or some other guy that loves the organization or even someone who hates it.

29. By TARL on Jun 20, 2010 | Reply

I am very unhappy with Deuce. Sure other players in the league held out, but they dont care about their team, or the way their team views them. I You can get a new contract while showing up for practice. Either way, he didnt get what he was after, and only hurt his team and himself. Soo it seems like a lose , lose situation. As the old saying goes, there is no I in team. Thankfully, coach whiz has a group of A good TEAM can beat a group of good players anyday. I love our team and hope they do well this year. If they dont, then I will still be happy for the last two years of awesome play they have given us. I hope coach puts Deuce on the bench as an example, and he has crappy stats for lack of play, then maybe we can get him for MUCH cheaper :O)