Cards spending preseason week in Nashville

Posted by Darren Urban on June 18, 2010 – 10:43 am

Yeah, about not writing at all on vacation …

The Cardinals are going a road trip in the preseason. Not Flagstaff, and not just for a game. Because the Cards play in Nashville on an ESPN Monday night game and because the team’s next game is in Chicago the following Saturday, coach Ken Whisenhunt has decided to spend the week after the Titans’ game in Nashville. The team will work out at Vanderbilt University after the MNF game and then leave Friday for Chicago. There is a chance the team could end up practicing a day or two against the Titans, but that’s still undecided. The trip itself, which has been percolating for a while, is not.

It’s not the first time Whiz and the Cards have done such a thing, spending a week in a town before a game. There was the infamous week in Virginia back in early 2008, when the Cards lost to the Redskins and then lost to the Jets in the Anquan-Boldin-breaks-his-face game. They did it again a few months later in Tampa, for a little thing they call the Super Bowl.

Normally, Flagstaff training camp would be over by then anyway (and Aug. 21 looks like the wrap-up date). Not sure off the top what the weather is like in Nashville in late August, but it’s probably going to be different than the 107 degrees in Tempe.

The season seems so close already.

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Cards spending preseason week in Nashville”

1. By Card's Refugee on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

Work-a-holic!

2. By gnomepete on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

It should be hot, but it WON’T be a dry heat.

3. By David Parra on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

Coach Ken Whisenhunt seems to be making all the right moves. Other than Kurt Warner closing the curtains on gun slinging our beloved Cardinals didn’t lose much that they cannot get back from other players on the depth chart. The division is theirs to lose. Something tells me The Cardinals will own the 49ers this season. Thanks for keeping us posted on the off-season Mr. Urban. Keep up the great work.

4. By johnnybluenose on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

not close enough, by far.

5. By DRC#1FAN on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

so close indeed. I cant freakin wait!!!!’

I am so proud of our young players and our coaches. in years past there have always been complaints and disgruntled players from Q and Dansby to Simeon Rice and even before that. the Bidwells always screwed up our teams. but I have to say. They changed for the better. Rod Graves and The Whiz have been great pickups. even before that with Denny Green and his eye for talent. They really turned this thing around and I feel it is a permanent switch. The only thing is now….. can we stay a playoff team so the young guys wanna play for us. Wanna carry the load and share and what not. Winning hides a lot of problems. but, I believe we r strong inside and out.

6. By Secret on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

no one expects you to write on vacation darren, but its all up to you

7. By William Lutz on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren…

Wow! With the team being in Tennessee, it’s going to be really hard to pass that up to see them (it’s about a seven hour drive from here in Ohio). Any word on whether the practices will be open to the public?

8. By Javi on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

cool cant wait go cards Darren do you think the Cards might get Mar Bulger or Jamarcuss Russel??

9. By darrenurban on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

William –

If there are practices, which I think there will be, they will be open it looks like.

10. By darrenurban on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

Javi –

11. By AdamsFan#1 on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

My gratitude goes to the General manager and head coach and his staff for the good environment they have created. I’m also thankful to Darren for the great job he does. I feel like I’m watching the team’s progress in person. I love the combination of everything we have. I hope our team will be a champion.

12. By Dave on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

Funny how there’s 5 days between those 2 games and then yet again only 5 days between the Bears game and the Redskins game. I’m glad all of that nonsense is happening in preaseason.

13. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

Average August temp in Nashville, 88 degrees. Average August temp in Phoenix, 103 degrees. (78 in Flag BTW.)
    Farmers Almanac is predicting Fall weather in Phoenix and surrounding area as Partly Cloudy with a chance of Playoffs, while Northern California and Washington as Partly Sunny but Mostly Windy.
    Most of Missouri will remain dark- especially at night.

14. By TBru on Jun 18, 2010 | Reply

wow 9 1/2 hours for me, and SC borders Tennesse, think I’ll save my money and go to the Atlanta or Carolina Game.

15. By Michelle Rich on Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

Do you know Any Information on the Upcoming Autograph Signing
    with Larry Fitzgerald. Fans had Fliers at the Fan Fest about it.
    Take A Break – Time Off is good for the soul.

16. By christian on Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

darren, how can i be a ball boy ill be 17 nex month? u need connections? lol

17. By darrenurban on Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

Michelle –

I do not know. I don’t think it is through the team.

18. By darrenurban on Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

Christian –

That I cannot answer. Don’t you have to go to school during training camp?

19. By William on Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

Any draft picks signed yet??

20. By darrenurban on Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

William –

We’d report it when it happens.

21. By Derek on Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I know I’m probably going to take a lot of heat for this, but is there any interest at all in Terrell Owens?

22. By Joe on Jun 20, 2010 | Reply

The season does feel fast approaching! I cant wait until there is a date for single game tickets. Any idea if they plan on announcing soon?

23. By darrenurban on Jun 20, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

None. Why would there be?

24. By darrenurban on Jun 20, 2010 | Reply

Joe –

Soon is relative. I have not heard yet.

25. By Michelle Rich on Jun 21, 2010 | Reply

I Got the Info on the Autograph Signing
    Larry Fitzgerald Will be Signing Autographs Saturday July 10
    at North Phoenix Baptist Church – Central & Bethany Home
    from 1pm – 2:30pm – Thanks Guys for the Info

26. By Derek on Jun 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

The only “logical” reasons I can think of is to see if he has any left in the tank and to have a veteran reciever across Larry Fitzgerald for Matt Leinart to possibly aim to.

27. By darrenurban on Jun 22, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

I don’t see the pros that would go with the cons.

28. By Scott H on Jun 22, 2010 | Reply

To those discussing Terrell Owens…Really, I’d rather not see him here and I don’t see why he would be. Unless…there is a significant injury to Breaston or Doucett? Might that change what anyone thinks about the possiblity of Owens landing here? Again, I’d MUCH rather have a healthy trio of Fitz, Breaston, and Doucett all year and see Owens take his act somewhere else. But injuries can happen, and if they strike this team at the WR position and Owens is out there…just sayin.

29. By Adam on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Don’t really understand Michelle’s question since a buddy of mine has inquired about the signing and gotten responses from HER directly. Meaning, he/she is the one putting on the signing. She/he is just trying to self promote.

2. Jun 28, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog