Breaston: “I am what it is”

Posted by Darren Urban on June 26, 2010 – 8:41 am

Long before he became a successful NFL player, Steve Breaston had shown himself to be an impressive poet. Interestingly, Breaston doesn’t like writing poetry about football but instead regular life. So Breaston’s latest venture — to wed a poem about growing up in North Braddock, Pennsylvania, and raising money for his foundation — is fitting. And so mature for the oldest receiver on the Cardinals.

The poem’s key lines are “I am what it is/a product of red nerds and overflowing pop fizz/red stains on my shirt,” a reference to the candy and soda Breaston once subsisted upon as a kid. Breaston even made a video (which you can see right here) back in his hometown reading the poem. Based on that first line, Breaston and a company called IMU (started by former University of Michigan classmate and basketball player David Merritt) have created a T-shirt for sale (which you can order here).

Breaston’s foundation raises money for at-risk youth in his hometown. Doesn’t that seem to make sense for the Miracle Baby?

Tags:

20 Responses to “Breaston: “I am what it is””

1. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

Off-topic question for you. It’s being reported by less than reliable sources that Lutui weighed in at 396 pounds. Any truth to this?

2. By CMacyn on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

This is a great sign of leadership, dedication, and true care fora community I am proud to be A Cardinals fan with people like this representing our team. Darren- Its been a while since I posted because I went on vacation (like you were supposed to be doing LOL) but is there anyone you can compare OJ Jones WR play to I have seen very little of him in actual game situations. Thanks D GO CARDINALS!!!

3. By darrenurban on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

Mike Jurecki is reporting that. I can’t confirm it, but I have no reason to doubt Mike either.

4. By Jon Meyers on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

Now that is cool! Glad to see athletes giving back like this. Steve seems like a really good guy. I actually like the brand 2, IMU.

Thanks for the post Darren.

5. By Big Red on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

He’ll make everybody a believer.

6. By Mr. Know It All on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

Yes Sir score another one for the good side!!!!

7. By Mark Hicks on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

I just Bought the shirt in baby blue, can’t wait to wear it to training camp!

8. By Eazy E on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

Whoa! Saw that the other day, my brother showed me that deuce was 396 lbs. He has to get down to 340 by training camp, pronto!

9. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

“I am what it is.”
    Does “it” include punt returner?

Welcome back, Darren.

10. By Billy Thomas on Jun 26, 2010 | Reply

I have to say that it’s nice to see Breaston’s creative side every once in awhile. I think we all wish he would put his poems in a book that we could all buy, however I know that poems can be really personal, so that’s all up to him. In any case, here’s a shout out to Steve Breaston making good noise on and off the field!

11. By Josh on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

Man I envy sooo much you guys that live in Arizona or close by, I live in Portsmouth, Ohio and The Browns and Bengals just do not do it for me. I am wanting so ad to go to that red white game aug 7th and the autograph session afterward, i would blow every dime I make to get there but my woman gonna be having my first baby girl in september, so please someone just give a little extra support for me. ThanX guys, Josh

12. By Josh on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

I just picked up one of Breastons shirts, sweet.

13. By brad oneill on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

does this mean we can expect a cardinals fan poetry contest in the near future! ;)

14. By James on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

Just got mine in white! Congrats Steve.

15. By Kim Hart on Jun 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m proud of you Steve…keep up the good work…the world needs more people like you!

16. By Slim on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

As a poet and life-long cardinals fan this is incredible to see. Breaston has immediately jumped up on my list of next cards jersey to buy (behind A Dub, of course). Fantastic post Darren, keep up the great work. We never get tired of telling you that you’re the best NFL team writer in the league, hands down.

17. By Thomas on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

I think boldin is the ….. And go cards

18. By FightON! on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Steve is my favorite type of player, cerebral and introspective. Have to love those Michigan men!

19. By nashville1cardsfan on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Anquan!
    Just seen him on ESPN running that broken jaw. I hope he is medically retired by troy P. when he goes across the middle. Keep your Pahokee lips closed pal. Larry is far the better reciever and breaston out performed you. We won all the important games with your sorry # 81 on the bench. Can’t wait til they play the titans. I hate the titans but will be there to heckle him. believe that!

2. Jun 28, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog