Returning to the quiet

Posted by Darren Urban on June 28, 2010 – 11:38 am

Although it wasn’t as if I didn’t touch any news the entire time I was away on vacation, today is the day I have officially returned. Not that there is a whole lot to return to right now.

The draft picks are at the NFL rookie symposium, although they have apparently taken John Lott’s message of staying in shape to heart (Dan Williams gets mentioned by name!). The rest of the undrafted rookies, and a handful of other players, are still working with Lott downstairs. I’ll have a column on undrafted rookie cornerback Marshay Green later today.

For those that have asked, I have no idea if the report of Deuce Lutui weighing 396 pounds is true. I saw Deuce the day he signed, but I have long since passed my time as guy-who-guesses-weight-at-the-carnival, so I couldn’t tell. I’m lousy at that sort of thing. But, at 6-foot-4, my guess is that the Cards would want him around that 338-pound mark (or maybe even a few pounds less) when he is playing, so he’d have major work to do if the report is true. We will know soon enough. When camp starts, if Deuce is really that bad, I’d guess coach Ken Whisenhunt isn’t going to shower him with compliments.

Some are asking about draft picks getting signed — even defensive lineman Keilen Dykes brought up the subject this morning — but those will come soon. Post-July 4th is typical for the franchise, and then there will be a flurry over the next month. Remember, the Cards have 86 on the roster including the seven unsigned draft picks. They have to be at 80 (unsigned guys don’t officially count) so right now, the “official” number is 79 — meaning every draft pick they sign after the first one means a player must be cut.

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “Returning to the quiet”

1. By Rich on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I saw Deuce the day he was signing autographs at the Stadium and doing the interview with KTAR. there is no way he was 396lbs. he didn’t look much different that he did last season. my guess would be about 360 at the high end. had a chance to talk to him and he sounds ready to go again this year.

2. By darrenurban on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

Again, I don’t know. When I saw him, I wouldn’t have pegged him that high, but I am terrible at such things.

3. By shannonrobinson on Jun 28, 2010 | Reply

Deuce went home to the Islands which means a lot of fish and rice. He also saw family and drew strength from the sun, sand, sea and the volcanoes. He’s my choice for right guard and that’s giving a lot of respect to Wells and Hadnot. What a great line this will be!

4. By KidStallyn on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

3 hundred and 96 pounds……wait wait wait…..Let’s just go here once and for all. Bring in Jillian Michales and Bob Harper from the Biggest Loser! Seriously….He now qualifies as a contestant at this point. Bring in Koli and Sam to help him change that lifestyle of eating until you can’t move…..There is no way the guy worked out at anything other then the buffet table is the story is true….

5. By signnine-ohNOW on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

WOW, 396 pounds… i could swear its more like 360 from the KTAR stuff like Rich was saying.

Either way, who do we keep on active every week with a LT of Levi Brown, LG with ALAN FANECA, Center Alex or Ben Claxton, RG could be WELLS, DEUCE, or Hadnot, and RT looks like Brandon Keith but could be a choice from 2 or 3 guys there too. Last year we usually had 8 active OL every game…. will we have 9 active OL this year?? and if we do what position would lose a spot?

6. By Thomas77 on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren, sorry if this question has been asked before as I’m sure it has, but rather than my spending an hour or so weeding through the several entries, I’ll just ask here.
    I read this on RotoWorld… “Sources tell ESPN New York that the Jets have inquired about free agent JaMarcus Russell. ESPN’s Rich Cimini characterizes the Jets’ interest as “monitoring,” and expects the team to opt for free agent Mark Brunell behind Mark Sanchez. Russell is currently in Arizona trying to get in shape. Cimini calls Arizona and Minnesota more likely landing spots for the ex-No. 1 overall pick.” http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=ARZ

Please don’t tell me that Jamarcus Russell really has a shot here? He just doesn’t seem like the Whisenhunt type…very lazy….

7. By darrenurban on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

Russell isn’t coming here.

8. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

To those who are guessing that he’s 360 at the high end are probably correct, because even if you’re lousy at guessing weight (as Darren claims to be) it would be really difficult to not see a difference in someone who went from 335-340 up to 400.

I’ll grant that the jury is still out on this, but I had a very strong suspicion that the media was busy hyping up another false rumor. I’ll give you your props Urban, you’re the one guy in your line of work who’s reporting is actually believable.

9. By darrenurban on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

I appreciate it, but I’m not sure it’s that easy to tell a jump. And you are assuming Deuce was actually at 335-340 at the end of the season.

10. By card62 on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

Interesting talk on our O-line. I will say John Lott will have a lot of special time with Duece so he will be fine come September. I can not wait to see how our backs run the ball this year and I wonder if we will use an offensive lineman as a tightend from time to time. I still expect us to trade a lineman before the season goes too long if none of our linemen are injured this year.
    Go Cards I believe in the Threepeat!

11. By Scott H on Jun 29, 2010 | Reply

With not much else going at this moment, let me ask you this – with the departures of Warner and Boldin, do you see veteran leadership being an issue for this team? Fitzgerald may be the better WR and has a tremendous work ethic, but it always seemed to me that Boldin was the go-to guy for guidance and leadership among the WR’s on the team. Do you see Fitzgerald taking on more of that role or is he just not one of those guys? Every sport has those guys who are truly great players but are just not leaders…and I see this as the area where losing guys like Warner and Boldin leaves the biggest void. From your view along the sidelines, who are the guys who are providing the leadership these days?

12. By darrenurban on Jun 30, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I think the receiving corps is one of the closest on the team. And as good as Q was for that leadership, I also think that underlying tension is also gone. They aren’t super young any more. Even Early is going into his third year. There is only so much leadership needed. Offensively, I am curious who that guy will be. Leinart still needs to earn his stripes. Faneca is new. Fitz will be that guy, but he’s been working on that the last couple of years. Defensively, I think they are fine with DD and Porter and Wilson.

13. By Scott H on Jun 30, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the input. Leinart can’t really be a leader right now because he hasn’t done it up to this point. It would be GREAT to see him earning that role during the season ’cause that would mean things were going very well for the team! But right now…I think the others guys on offense have to do everything they can to keep the pressure off Leinart and keep him out of situations where the game is on his shoulders. For as long as everyone is in that mode, Leinart – by definition – cannot be a leader. I agree that he has to focus on just doing his job effectively and not making the mistakes that the team cannot overcome. For that reason, I hope some of the other guys ( on offense ) are up to the leadership task. Maybe there is only so much leadership that is needed, as you say, but that could change if things don’t start out well. Those situations tend to accentuate the leadership thing…and/or perhaps the perceived lack of it.

14. By CHOPS on Jun 30, 2010 | Reply

He is not 396. I have known the guy for a long time and I have seen him at 395. It was when he first arrived at USC and he was much bigger than he is now. Granted, I havent seen him step on a scale and he appears to be a little heavier now than he was at the end of the season, but my guess is that he is under 370. Also, keep in mind that although he is listed as 338, he has played at 350 for the past 3 seasons. So he is nowhere near being 60 lbs overweight, as some have suggested. If he can drop 20 before camp, he will be fine.