The Williams workouts

Posted by Darren Urban on July 6, 2010 – 11:56 am

Dan Williams hasn’t shied away from workouts this offseason, and it’s made a difference. As the rookies go through their final week with coach John Lott before getting a little off time prior to training camp, the Cardinals’ No. 1 pick and nose tackle of the future looks to be in good shape and he said he is “right back to where I need to be” — which is in the 325 to 330-pound range (the roster officially lists him at 327).

“A month ago, it would have been a different story,” Williams said with a grin (his May minicamp photo below), knowing the crazy pre-draft schedule for players doesn’t lend itself to workouts much. “I am still trying to continuing to lose more. I  just want to be in the best shape possible.”

That’s the Lott effect. Williams has taken Lott’s preaching to heart, including the idea that, if Williams sheds a few more pounds it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Regardless, Williams has proven himself a steady worker. Anxious to play football with pads again and also to prove himself to the coaching staff, football has been constant since the end of the college season but that’s OK too.

“It’s a strain on your body but at the same time, it’s a good strain,” Williams said. “We’ve been dreaming about this since we were little.”

What hasn’t been a dream has been the rookie climbs up Camelback Mountain. The group is done with those, and Williams comes up with a not-so-surprising answer when asked if he will miss the hikes.

“Oh no. Oh no. Oh no,” Williams said. “After I went up the last time I was like, ‘This is my last time going up so I better take some pictures.’ Coach Lott said ‘You’re going to come out next year, meet me in the parking lot.’  I told him, ‘Coach, I’ll hold the water while you all go up there.’ “

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “The Williams workouts”

1. By R Robles on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Dan I Hope You Turn Into A red Beast On The Field And Hold That Middle For Us Man Determination On Your Face Says It All

2. By James Sancto (the English Cardinal) on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

This type of work ethic is what separates the great first round draft choices and the busts. Those players that are selected early in the draft and fail can attribute their underperformance to simply not working hard. For example, Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell were and are well known for their laziness. Whereas Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis are notoriously hard workers and this breads success.
    It is perfectly summed up by Leaf’s and Manning’s answers to the question, ‘What will you do if I make you the number 1 draft pick?’ Leaf:’I’m going to go to Vegas with my buds’. Manning:’I’m going to get the playbook and study it as soon as it’s given to me’.
    It speaks for itself really; hardwork will pay off. So keep it going Dan Williams.

3. By MW on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been thrilled with the acquistion of Dan Williams since April 22, and hope he meshes well with our outstanding DE’s. One player I had hoped would progress well was Rashad Johnson. Darren, Where would you say he stands after the OTA’s, following a rough rookie year? I hope Adub is forging him into a formidable safety for coming years. I appreciate your great work Darren, GO CARDS

4. By cardattac on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Man what a pick with this guy. He has so much heart and passion for this sport. And it makes me feel good to know we have the coaches to shape him into a great NFL player. A franchise player. With the motor he has mixed with his size and agility plugging up the center of our D-Line. Oh yeah!!! And I thought we had a pretty good run D last year. He should help us become alot more consistent with that. It is so nice to have a football team man….. GO CARDS!!!!

Oh Darren.

I am looking for some cool cards hats. Fitted but not the NEW ERA ones please. I was wondering if you had and web site to suggest???

5. By Card's Refugee on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I for one can’t wait to see how much better DD and CC are when playing next to this beast!

6. By darrenurban on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

MW —

Too early to tell where Rashad is. I think he has made some strides, but again, we will see.

7. By darrenurban on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Cardattac —

I would probably steer you in the same directions as everyone else. I think other fans would give better ideas than myself.

8. By Ditship on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Sounds great.. I hope we see the results of his hard work on the field this year!

9. By Card's Refugee on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Off subject, but do you know how CC is fairing at Fitz camp? Is he the only othr Card to go?

10. By darrenurban on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Refugee —

Just saw CC today. He’s going up next week. Not sure about other players.

11. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

With Williams making the roster and Bryan Robinson the probable starter, where does that leave Alan Branch and Gabe Watson? Since Branch has done okay at DE does the Turk visit Watson?
    Personally, I’d cut lazytown Branch before bad wheeled Gabe.
    Cardattac, the best hat is the one that brings familarity. My sweat stained Phoenix Cardinals baseball cap is my headtopper of choice, be it in the backyard or going out.(despite the misses’s consternation)

12. By darrenurban on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

It’ll all depend on training camp. Who knows, if Branch and Watson star in camp, it might make it tougher for B-Rob to stick. But I don’t think B-Rob comes back if he and the team weren’t thinking he’d probably be here.

13. By Scott H on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

I like this guy! Seems motivated, hard working, and has a sense of humor, too. Hey, if he follows in the footsteps of the last guy who wore #92 for this team, I’ll be alright with that! He’s off to a good start.

14. By LUKE on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

now thats what im talking about!great attitude,young man!represent that number 92!

15. By redbirds4life on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

If he demands double teams like he did in college then nine-0 and CC are going to get some significant pressure on opposing QBs & that should create more turnovers which leads to more points. What a difference maker 92Will can be for the defense! Strong run D & a good running game can make up for any slack at QB – look at Baltimore when they won the Super Bowl w/ Dilfer. Can’t wait for the season. When is the next Cardinals Underground? Those podcasts/broadcasts are awesome.

16. By darrenurban on Jul 6, 2010 | Reply

Redbird4life —

We will try to have one right before camp, but we’ll definitely get into them once camp starts.