Something seems rank

Posted by Darren Urban on July 9, 2010 – 4:37 pm

Rankings are all subjective. That’s why there are playoffs at the end of the NFL season, because certainly the Cardinals wouldn’t have been in the Super Bowl that season had the postseason teams been advanced based on a ranking system. And there are times when a ranking reflects well on Cardinals-land.

Then there are other times.

ESPN took a break from LeBronapalooza to put together some preseason NFL rankings. The Cardinals, not surprisingly, were No. 21 out of 32 teams, a general area many seem to be slotting the 2010 edition. I get it. Matt Leinart has much to prove and the team has had enough turnover that it’s tough to know exactly how far this squad is from the 10-win division champion of 2009. But the No. 20 team is Carolina, who in my estimation has lost even more than the Cards and has either Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen at quarterback. Not sure how they’d rank higher (but that will be settled for real Dec. 19 in Carolina).

But nothing caught my eye as much as cbssports.com’s position rankings for safety. A separate top five for the position was created by both Andy Benoit and Josh Katzowitz. Neither one included Adrian Wilson — and, actually even a little more surprising, neither one even mentioned Wilson in their lengthy back-and-forth. Wilson isn’t better than Brian Dawkins these days? And even if you feel that strongly about Bernard Pollard or Nick Collins, Wilson has to be in the discussion, right? Especially when, elsewhere on the site, Wilson is ranked as the 44th-best player in the entire NFL (Fitz is 11th, Dockett 47th, BTW).

Something tells me it’s just another chip A-Dub can hoist upon his shoulder this season. Yes, I feel fairly confident about that.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Something seems rank”

1. By Big Red on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

With the names of Andy Benoit and Josh Katzowitz, I dont believe those two idiots ever played football. Maybe that stupid game of soccer, which any three year old kid can play. As for ESPN who cares about there predictions.

2. By Chris on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

“Rank” is right-the 18yr old from bleacherreport.com that did a piece on fitz should be in line for Andy Benoit’s and Josh Katzowitz’s job. Darren, do you have any links to Dockett’s ESPN appearance today?

3. By darrenurban on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

I do not.

4. By Bobby on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Everywhere you look the so called experts are always talking down about the Cardinals as a team but will go out of there way to point out how good certain players are I guess they just think we cant play together as a team or for some reason they think that Alex Smith, who is as unproven as Matt Leinart, is going to do amazing but Lienart is going to sink our whole ship by himself. Anyways it happens every year and we just use it as fuel for the big red machine.

5. By DeaconBones on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Most of those guys are full of it… They no nothing about sport period.

6. By OLdude on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

For quite a few years now, I have wondered about the potential interest in what I will call “Analysis of the Analysis” ….guys like Mel Kiper Todd McShay and all the other draft experts along with prognosticators from ESPN CBSports and anyone with the courage of their convictions would get together with their “expert commentary and opinions” to compare notes on the previous years opinions or in the case of “draft experts” go back say 3 years and see who had the more accurate draft day comments……I’d LOVE to watch a program like that but I suspect few if any of them have the :STONES” to lay it out like that ….what do you think? ……….(if anyone steals my idea I definitely want a piece of the action)

7. By cardattac on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Ok man I dont get what these guys are looking at when they look at our team??? I think as a whole organization the ARIZONA CARDINALS have become one HELL of a TEAM!!! For some reason we are still looked down on and underestimated. Cool man…. I didnt think we would get the chance to sneak up anyone from now on…. I guess I was wrong:)

GO CARDS!!!!

8. By brad oneill on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

always better to be underrated than overrated. i think early in the season they are going to load up the box against beanie and hightower and I think Matt has the skills to make them pay. then after they get burned enough by fitz and company beanie and hightower are going to make 200 yard rushing games a weekly occurrence. I also believe our defense will be a heck of a lot better this year. I am sure the coaches have seen enough 3rd and long conversions by the opposing teams that they haven’t been sleeping well this summer. my guess is they will get it figured.

9. By DRC#1FAN on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Most annalysts are actually ex players so they know plenty about sports. thats not way Adub isnt among the elite. Anyone remember what Olson and Cutler did to Adbu last year, that is why he slipped out of contention. All it takes is one bad game to have you pegged or pigeonholed into something. Adub is thought of more as a linebacker than a safety, even by us, the fans. In all reality though, he came out the game after the Bears and showed he could stop the pass, since teams who saw that film obviously tried to pick on him. which led to what? three picks? something like that. Adub is an all around athlete and easily in the top 20 in the NFL, in my opinion. It just goes to show that in football, you cant make mistakes.

10. By DRC#1FAN on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

mistakes get blown out of proportion and people forget how good you really are.

11. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Wilson’s omission was noted by several posters who commented on the piece.
    I’m thinking Urban’s trying to put a bug in Adrian’s ear(small earwig, not a beetle) to give ADub even ammunition, like guys at this level need even more incentive. (Well, other than Alan Branch.)

12. By Nick Pepe on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

I am so tired of the lack of respect. Hopefully this squad will shut the critics up. Use it as motivation. I have nothing else to offer. But I am disgusted that A-Dub is still being snubbed by the “know it alls”. Hall of Fame career, and hopefully he will have a ring or two to back it up.

13. By darrenurban on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

Let’s just say Adrian doesn’t need me putting a bug in his ear.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I was mostly being facetious.
    Off topic, other than your and Kent’s blogs which are you’re favorites to read?

ESPN’s Sando, National Football Post and (you’re going to kill me)ProFootball Talk are necessary daily supplements for me.

15. By darrenurban on Jul 9, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

Oh, I know where you were going. I was trying to subtly say Adrian already knows. A-Dub reads EVERYTHING.

Why would I kill you on that list? Always Sando and PFT (Florio and Co. don’t miss anything, and post links right away — plus he doesn’t shun my stuff, which I appreciate working for a “team” site). I do look at NFP. SI.com NFL page, and I follow a bunch of guys on Twitter: Sam Farmer, Adam Caplan, Alex Marvez, among others.

16. By andy on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

Matt Ware’s health had a lot to do with Adrian Wilson’s performances last year.

17. By Todd Fisher on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

Its funny cause this has happened every year for a long as I can remember. Cardinals get no love. Its always the Chargers that are superbowl bound! Every year the Cardinals impress and the Chargers fall short. The fact is that the Cardinals play better when they are pissed, so rank them 32nd cause I want to go back to the superbowl!

18. By kurt hannum on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

I just hope these so called experts keep leaving our stars off their lists os notables. That way my $100.00 best for west and NFC Champions get better odds,

19. By KG on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

It blows my mind the level of disrespect that this team still has to deal with. Do the talking heads not realize that in SF the quarterback is going to be Shaun Hill or Alex Smith….again? How has that worked out for them? In St. Louis, a bad team is going to start a rookie QB behind a terrible O-Line, and SEA is completely rebuilding behind a line that just lost Walter Jones, has holes, has no running game, and an aging and consistently banged up Matt Hasselbeck. Going off of all of that, it would seem that the Cardinals would be the safe pick just by default. I find it almost comical though. You are right, this team plays better with a chip so maybe it’s best for them to keep on talking.

20. By Rugbymuffin on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

At this point we should not be surprised by any of this.

I doubt 99% of sports writers work as hard as our own Darren Urban.

Cardinals have “always been bad” they will forever be a fluke, etc., etc.

National rankings, media, etc., etc. will always bash this team, and organization.

Our division is underrated, our team is underrated, and our players are underrated. And that will always be the way for lazy media types that just regurgitate story after story.

How else is a 38 year old safety still tops in the league ? LOL

21. By Jahstone on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

RESPECT???? HA…The Cards have always been the underdog, and we will assume that role until we take it to the top once again. Whether it was the playoff run in 1998 or our Super Bowl run in 2008, no one ever seems to take us seriously. Under the Radar is where the Cards like to fly!!!!!

22. By FightON! on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

Don’t get it, I love AW and his aggressive play and everything about his quiet off the field demeanor…guess I’m a double homer, I have Adrian right up there with my much loved Troy Polamalu.

23. By LUKE on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

i never give much credit to these rankings.adrian has never been given enough credit.honestly,if he played for the cowboys,steelers,or another popular team ,he would be praised alot more.adrian is one of my favorite football players of all time and not just because he s a card.he is consistant and lets his play do the talking.i WILL ,however be upset if he ever gets snubbed from the hof!

24. By Dylan on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

haha you know what i love. is when you go to nfl.com or profootballtalk.com and read things about how leinart is a bust cause he hasn’t grown up and never will.. i wonder if those people have paid attention to this cardinals offseason at all?

25. By georgiebird on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

As a Cards fan I don’t feel Wilson is a top 5 safety.

A-dub’s strong suit is rushing the passer and he may be the best in the league. However, on many occasions he commits stupid penalties and is a below average cover safety.
    Good teams have a way of making him disappear.
    All that said, his physical skills allow him to be a special player when he sniffs a play out correctly.

26. By Chris on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

Georgie maybe you should be an opposing TE and come across the middle with #24 having free reign to knock your head back straight

27. By TBru on Jul 10, 2010 | Reply

Fitz is 11th

seems oddly appropriate

28. By Beauchamp on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

A-DUB is a 20/20 man enough said. He is an all time great strong safety and he consistently gets a huge portion of our tackles year in and year out. If you want to say A-Dub isn’t one of our best players and one of the best safetys look at how we did in 2007. We went 8-8 but if it weren’t for Wilson getting hurt and the horrible call when he rocked Todd Heap to dislodge the ball (now it would be defenseless receiver, but than according to the rules because he didnt go after the head and hit the ball leading w/ his arm it was clean by the rules at the time). Adrian Wilson is hands down better than, Brian Dawkins even looking at the career as a whole, Dawkins is more of a FS ball hawk than him but no way could get the sacks and TFL Wilson gets. Also comparing him to Nick Collins and anyone of the median line is an insult. A-Dub will get another few picks and sacks this year and at the end of his NFL Career than when they look at the staggering numbers as a whole he will be a sure fire Hall of Famer. DARREN DID I PRETTY MUCH GET THAT RIGHT?

29. By concernedfan on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

Adrian, if youre reading this… You need to do a better job of buddying up with Roger Goodell – play golf w/ him or go to a few of his charity gigs etc etc. I think youre 1 big hit away from being suspended and we cant afford to lose you this year.

30. By darrenurban on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

Beauchamp —

I only put it all out there. I leave it all to you to debate.

31. By Mack on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

I dont know if we signed Williams or Washington yet, but are we close if we haven’t?

32. By mikeso on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

haha man tell me about it. theese so called rankings are rediculous some times. well most the time.

33. By Thomas77 on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

Another off subject question. When’s the next Underground?

34. By Scott H on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey, you know Adrian better than we do…is he the kind of guy who would let something like this type of disrespect stick in his craw? He’s obviously very intense on the field but he seems so low-key otherwise. That aspect of him is a huge part of why I’ve always liked him so much. But I wonder if the fact that he IS so low-key has a down side…because he has to be one of THE greatest players in the league right now that many people ( outside of Cardinal fans and people paid to know the NFL ) just really don’t know about. Most days, I couldn’t care less, ya know? But it does bother me to see a player of his caliber AND character over-looked at times.
    In regard to rankings…I hear you. Just about anyone who has done their own rankings has the Cardinals anywhere from about 17th to 24th or so. Whatever. Rankings are always so crazy at this time of year, and what can you really base them on??? After retirements, free agent moves, and the draft, there’s always so much that changes with just about every team every year. I also have yet to see a single person pick anyone other than the 49ers to win the NFC West this year. And I think that has more to do with Kurt Warner’s retirement and the Cardinals “falling back” than anything the 49ers have done to get better. I mean, they still have Alex Smith at QB, do they not? Well, in my humble opinion, he’s done no more than Matt Leinart has to this point and he’s had a lot more playing time to prove himself than Leinart has. I even saw one publication that predicted the Seahawks to finish ahead of the Cards in the West this year! With Hasselbeck, who can’t stay healthy for a month at this point, and a back-up QB who has yet to throw a pass in a regular season game? With an over-the-hill TJ Whosyermomma as their top WR? Whatever. Everyone has to have an opinion because they have space to fill. All I can say is that if ANYONE on this team is going to be starting the season with a chip on his shoulder, I hope it’s Leinart. This guy had an amazing college career, his NFL career has been largely disappointing to this point, and many people are just flat-out saying that he can’t get it done at this level. Nothing would be sweeter than to see him prove them all wrong and take the Cardinals back to the top of the West again this year!

35. By darrenurban on Jul 11, 2010 | Reply

Thomas —

I hope to have one done the week before camp starts. We are working on getting everyone together.

36. By Edwin on Jul 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know when Single Game tickets will go on sale?

37. By darrenurban on Jul 12, 2010 | Reply

Edwin —

I don’t. Usually it falls in the last couple weeks of July.

38. By Scott H on Jul 12, 2010 | Reply

KG –

Just FYI, Shaun Hill isn’t with the 49ers anymore. He was traded to the Lions for a warm six pack, basically. And since I happen to think that Hill might have been a better QB than Alex Smith, that would mean that the 49ers are actually weaker at that position now than they were before! Yet, all these so-called experts have the 49ers winning the West this year…hey, I’m with you, KG. Let all the experts jump on the 49ers bandwagon. Time will tell if they’re right but I don’t see it. I honestly think that if Leinart plays well, the Cardinals are still the best team in the division. And they are DEFINITELY the most well-coached. I think all of these “experts” are forgetting that the Cardinals have improved for three straight years under Wisenhunt and he is the only coach in this division with playoff games on his resume…including one game they call the Super Bowl. Isn’t it funny that these so-called “experts” never saw the Cardinals coming all those years when Seattle was winning the division but the Cardinals were clearly closing the gap? Yet, as soon as the 49ers show a little improvement and have ONE 8-8 season, they’re suddenly everyone’s darling and the division is theirs??? Hey, it’s theirs’ if they earn it but until they do…the banner for the NFC West hangs in our house!

39. By murf kuhls on Jul 12, 2010 | Reply

Do you think anyone could persuade Kurt to play one more season? i love the Cards.GO CARDNIALS!!

40. By Chris on Jul 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I’m not too sure if you touched on this but I like Rod Woodson from the NFL network. I think he was a good safety when he played. He had his top 5 safeties in the league and he had Wilson at 3. You could argue that he should be up there as the top 1-2 but 3rd is respectable. Not to be harsh on ESPN but what do they know.

The link to the video.

41. By darrenurban on Jul 13, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

Thanks for the link. But to be fair, ESPN didn’t do the safety rankings.

42. By Troyboy on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey everybody. I was born and raised in st. Louis and I never ever never left my CARDS. They were sickening when they moved and I still watched, observed and collected memoirabilia, and everything else, i still have my CARDINAL room and plasma TV with HD and the NFL ticket. I can believe that we still get NO respect. I agree with most of you. Lets stay under the radar. Coach Whizz is the best motivator in the game today. I have been to and seen many coaches and i was also at the SB two years ago. Whizz has generated our CARDS into every year contenders. I am xcited about this year. If we beat the controversy again this year, it proves to the entire NFL that Bidwells have decided to get it right. i wondered for many years about our owners, but now hey, they are doing it right. Lets just stay CARDS fans and we can help motivate them as well. Oh yeah, by the way, I believe that we could compare ADub to a Ronnie Lott if all was said and done. Adub is that good. PERIOD. Dont get tied up in the rankings. It will get to you after a while. I know. I am 44 and have and will always be a CARDS fan.

2. Jul 10, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com