A-Dub and Whiz speak on it

Posted by Darren Urban on July 17, 2010 – 8:10 am

Adrian Wilson and Ken Whisenhunt each did radio interviews in the last couple of days, with some comments of note.

Wilson was on Sports 620 KTAR (and yes, I know this because I was co-hosting on “Gambo and Ash”) and touched on both his lack of social media desire and his constant work in the weight room. He acknowledged he thought what Darnell Dockett did to call out teammate Kerry Rhodes on Twitter was “unfair,” and he wasn’t going to be on Twitter anytime soon.

“I don’t really like to be in that whole back-and-forth,” Wilson said. “I’m a man, and if I’m going to say something to you, I’m going to say it to your face, bottom line. I’m not a Twitter type of guy. … That’s not my style. I’m not in that world at all.”

Wilson also talked about constantly working out. He rarely takes extended vacations because he can’t stand being away from the facility.

“I don’t know, I think it’s an addiction,” Wilson said. “My wife told me I need to be on the show ‘Intervention.’ … It’s the scare factor. You don’t want to be passed up or have people think you don’t got it. I’ve got it. A lot of people are talented, but I’m gifted. To me, that’s important for me to have people understand. There are a lot of talented safeties out there, there are a lot of talented guys in the league, but I’m gifted. And that’s something, for me, if I continue to work hard and if one day my talent begins to diminish, I can fall back on my hard work.”

As for Whisenhunt, he appeared on XTRA 910 (link via Mike Sando) while at the Tahoe Celebrity Golf tourney and, among other things, talked about guard Deuce Lutui and being overweight (XTRA’s Mike Jurecki had previously reported Lutui was 396 pounds when he signed; the Cards want him in the 340s at the most).

“I have very little tolerance for that,” Whisenhunt said. “Because, listen, this offseason, we had our guys in there working about as hard as I have ever been around. They are focused because everybody said we don’t have a chance, we lost all these players and we can’t do it. Our guys have really taken that challenge and worked hard. And it’s difficult when you have guys in there busting their tails and one of the players isn’t in there and then when he comes in and signs his contract, he’s pretty heavy. That is frustrating. The onus is on Deuce.”

Whisenhunt, by the way, scored 8 points in his first round of the tournament, which uses a modified Stableford scoring system. Former Phoenix Coyote Jeremy Roenick is tied with actor Jack Wagner for the lead with 26 points. Cards quarterback Derek Anderson is in the mix with 16 points.

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “A-Dub and Whiz speak on it”

1. By OLdude on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

DARREN – Nice job on 620 yesterday – good enough to be a part of the rotation I think……I agree with Coach W about Lutui there is more than just personal pride when you come in SO overweight…. it shows a lack of commitment to the team and not conducive to a winning attitude…C’mon DEUCE we need you at your best to shut up all the nay-sayers……DARREN good luck in your new “supplemental ” career

2. By Don't Take Losses on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Hindsight/foresight: Need a weight clause and regular weigh in on any extension/renewal with Quatro (deuce x2). I’d have wanted to ask for weigh in before keeping that technical offer on the table as well, probably would have violated labor agreement. Hope they trade him for draft pick. C’mon, comes in 50 over?? It probably was more…

3. By mo on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Wow. That’s got to be the most pointed comments I’ve ever heard from coach about one of his players. Getting on Branch a few years ago paled in comparison to this. I listened to the entire interview and once again I’m just blown away by how smart coach Whisenhunt is, and how perfectly this guy represents us. I howled at the part where he gave props to Dockett for “killing” Dan Williams in the weight room this summer. Classic. Plus, I got a really good vibe for the Cardinals being able to extend Dockett — maybe not before the season, or even during it, but definitely by the time it would need to get done. Great interview all the way around.

4. By bobF on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Having lots of trouble with the Whiz link. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

5. By Robert on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Deuce is really 396 pounds?? Come on, I know he wasn’t happy about signing the tender, but to come in that overweight is plain stupid. And unhealthy, for that matter. I’m thinking he’s going to lose his starting spot. It’s too bad because I like Deuce and he’s been a solid player over the years.

6. By darrenurban on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

BobF –

Not sure why. The link works for me. You should have the interview automatically pop up on a new page. You can also try the link on Sando’s page here.

7. By darrenurban on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Robert –

To clarify. Whisenhunt did NOT confirm Deuce was 396. He just acknowledged he was overweight. Whisenhunt said a “fair” weight for Deuce is in the lower 340s, which is where Lutui played at last season.

8. By Scott H on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Adrian is proof that you can speak very softly and still be heard quite well! I love Darnell Dockett but I really am not into the whole twitter thing and the need some people have to broadcast every thought they have. I prefer Adrian’s way of doing things. And when he says that he’ll tell you to your face if he has something to say to you? Um…I believe him!

9. By LadyCard04 on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

I heard the Wilson spot and was impressed by his point regarding Dockett’s twittering to Rhodes. Like he said, he’s a man and will address any issues he has with teammates face to face. I’ve said before, leadership isn’t about pounding someone over the head with a stick, bring along a carrot . . . it tastes better and gets better results.

10. By Jim in Missouri on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I know there’s no way to tell for sure, but can you give your opinion on a percent chance on the Cardinals and Dockett coming to terms on a long-term extension?

What about them getting another long-term deal done with Fitz if (when) he opts out?

Thanks.

11. By Rich on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Note to Deuce:
    Us season ticket holders don’t appreciate your attitude. All the folks in our section feel the same way.
    Please ask for a trade. Your “game” is getting annoying.

12. By ker5h on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Didn’t Lutui play at over 380 at USC?

13. By Eric on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care if Whiz “confirmed” or did not “confirm” Deuce’s weight of 396. It was reported and no one has claimed anything to the contrary, to include the entire Cardinals organization and Deuce Lutui himself.

And Whiz’s statements that appear here are pretty clear that he is unhappy with Deuce’s weight, motivation, and the example he is setting for this team. I have a strong feeling that Deuce will not be starting this season and will even go out on a limb to say that he will be lucky to start on any team in the NFL after this season.

14. By darrenurban on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Jim in Mizzou –

I put the likelihood on getting long-term deals done with both at 90 percent. And the only reason I won’t say 100 percent is because something can always happen. But I will be surprised if both don’t sign new deals with this team.

15. By darrenurban on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Ker5h –

I’m not sure. But that’s a moot point. If the coaches don’t want him weighing more than 345, than that’s what his bosses want.

16. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

I thought the Whiz interview was very insightful with the balance and intelligence it takes to be a good NFL coach.
    ADub’s comments make me believe he’s concerned about how people(mostly from persons directly connected) perceive him. Not necessarily what they think about him, but what image he projects.
    Of course, I’ll leave that up to Darren to tell him that.

17. By cardattac on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Man I love coach Whiz!!! He sounded so much more comfortable and confident then usual….. to me:)…. And man it makes me feel so good to here the excitement in his voice. And all the things our players have been doing this off season. I am so impressed!!

I always wonder how 53 men can become friends??? Some people just express themselves in there own way. Like A-DUB… I dont get into TWEETER ether…. This is as close as it gets for me, but Darnell….. HE has asked not to be be judged for that stuff… its all pretty petty and harmless if you ask me. talkin smack back and forth is what happens between guys who are in constant comp!!

No one should be worried. D.D. Has really stepped it up this year as did the whole rest of the team. Just like Ken’s message he wants to send in traing camp This is what its about. Guess Deuce didnt get the memo…… Sorry dude but you done got left in the dust…. Find a new job!!! We could probably win with a team of retired players if it was put together and coached by Ken and company!!! lol

GO CARDS!!!!

18. By pastor joe on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

I like A dub and was raised the same way. If you wanna say something to someone, say it, be a man. On the other hand Warner retiring has weighed as heavy on my mind as I am sure it has many cards fans. I know Whiz will keep us in contention but its a long wait to see exactly what we are left with after the dust settles. Even though they are sometimes strange and colorful Docketts tweets have filled me with a sense of excitement for the upcoming season. If the rest of the team is as confident as he sounds and as excited as he says he is, not to mention the amount of work he seems to be putting in, then i have no fear for our cards! So keep it up darnell and let everone know there is no going back we expect a winner in AZ and will settle for nothing less!

19. By mikeso on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

HAHAHA CANT WAIT TO SEE A DUB IN ACTION. SHOOT CANT WAIT TO MEET HIM FOR THE FIRST IN THE CARDINALS RED AND WHITE!

2. Jul 21, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog