Monday bits and pieces

Posted by Darren Urban on July 19, 2010 – 12:35 pm

A couple of things while I grind away on the Adrian Wilson opus that should be posted by the end of the week:

Here’s the first (OK, maybe the stream of  stories never really stopped since Kurt retired) of the can-he?-Matt-Leinart features that will appear throughout the duration of training camp (First practice is less than two weeks away). Well, some people think he will be fine. All I know is that we will have this discussion many many more times. No topic in training camp will top it.

– Ken Whisenhunt ended up with 46 points at the Tahoe celebrity golf tournament, tying for 18th. Former quarterback Billy Joe Tolliver ran away with the tourney with 85 points in the modified Stableford scoring system. Cardinals QB Derek Anderson finished with 37 points. Whisenhunt beat out Michael Jordan by a point (not that it was Jordan’s biggest storyline of the day), although Jordan seemed OK with it:

Speaking of Whisenhunt, he came across some Cardinals’ fans in the gallery this weekend who were holding a dry erase board and, well, just take a look:

Tags: , , , ,

25 Responses to “Monday bits and pieces”

1. By David (azsportzfan) on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

That is cool! Whiz was the best thing the Cardinals have done!

2. By CMacyn on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

^^^^ I Agree 100%, I love how he is always sure of himself and his team I’m stoked for this season. Darren- How do you see our DT position shaping up and is there any news on Kelien Dykes? Thanks

3. By darrenurban on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

CMac –

Keilen is working out every day here. We’ll see how he fits in. As for defensive tackle, obviously there are a lot of bodies battling for roster spots. Someone is not going to make it to the regular season. Raw numbers show that.

4. By CMacyn on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Thanks D I hope we keep Kelien due to sheer size and power I can only imagine DD, Dan Williams, Dykes, And Campbell in dime sets we will have serious get to the QB power.

5. By Tucsonaaron on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love the confidence of the coach! Third straight NFC title here we come!!

6. By Tucsonaaron on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love the confidence of the coach! Third straight NFC west title here we come!!

7. By Mailand on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren.
    Is there a way to contact you, without making it in public?

8. By Joe-B on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

We are actually getting positive articles about Leinart now? I thought all the media people were supposed to say that he was a Bust who spends all his time partying…

I do agree with those guys, I feel good about Leinart this season.

9. By darrenurban on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Mailand –

I can be reached at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net.

10. By cardattac on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Oh yeah!!! Go coach Whiz!!!

Man the articles on Matty were really informative and positive. thanks for the links Darren.

11. By Richard S on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Wow. I wish I would have driven the 180 miles to Tahoe for the tourney as Whiz was there, it was cooler there than the Central Valley and the interview I saw with the winner, Tolliver, on Sacramento TV showed the background scenery and it looked beautiful.

12. By mo on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

The look on the fans’ faces in the last two frames is priceless. It’s so easy to be a fan of the team with a guy like that as the coach. Remember him exorcising the demons of the 2006 MNF Chicago game last year? He mock swiped the mike and walked away. Totally serious between the lines, but he has a mischievous streak that’s vastly entertaining.

13. By MIKEFLORIO on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Did anyone else hear that motorboat looking at the pics

14. By Scott H on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

First of all, the guy with the sign should have let the hottie next to him hold it if he really wanted it to be seen! That’s just poor planning right there…

While I know the topic of Matt Leinart is truly THE story of camp for the Cardinals, period, I really have kinda grown tired of it at this point. Because, really, what is the point to the endless speculation as to whether he can or whether he can’t? Truth is, we’re just not gonna get an answer ( THE answer ) until the season starts. I’d like to hear that he is having a good camp, but that will not guarantee that he’ll be fine when the games start to count. I want to see him play well in the pre-season, but that also guarantees nothing. Maybe I’m just entirely too anxious for the season to start ( entirely too early! ) and it’s starting to get to me. But despite all of what we have to say now and regardless of how many times we say it, we’re just not gonna know whether he can or whether he can’t until some point around mid-October. But I will say that while so many people seem to look only at the meaningless mop-up duty playing time he’s had the past three years as evidence that he’s not a quality QB, I prefer to look back to 2006 and the only real extended playing time he’s had as a starter and I seem to remember that he played pretty darn well in many of those games. I really just wanna skip all the discussion and see the kid play again!

15. By FightON! on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

This was a pretty good article as well…little by little, articles with a more positive slant.

16. By Javi on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

hey darren do you think the cardinals can get terrel owens and shawn merriman

17. By darrenurban on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Javi –

Uh, no. That’s not happening.

18. By brad oneill on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

just for fun here are peyton mannings rookie stats vs matt leinarts rookie stats.
    peyton played in 16 games matt played in 12

Peyton 56.7% completion lienart 56.8% completions

Peyton 26 td/ 28 interceptions Lienart 11 tds / 12 interceptions

rushing tds for peyton 0 rushing tds for matt 2

so does matt really look like a bust or did the cards just happen to hit a gold mine with Warner???

I know that matt takes some criticism for not taking the game as serously as people think he should have. but come on he was a superstar in college that got drafted by what could only be described as a bad team at the time. The cardinals team he started on was not a contender in the division when he got there, The team hadn’t been to the playoffs since jake the snake got us there. He was lucky to be given a little extra time to mature and learn under one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game. Now that its his team he will do just fine.

19. By Big Red on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Javi, are you serious about T. Owens he would be a cancer to a good bunch of guys. Just how many Cardinal fans do you think would go crazy. I wouldn’t mind seeing him play for the cowgirls.

20. By card62 on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

I believe in giving Matt Leinart another shot at QB this year so I am on board with this decision 100%, but I am nervous as I have followed his career with the Cardinals and we all have to agree that there are questions as to his ability to lead an NFL team to the playoffs. I for one will follow all stories about his camp and preseason because I think he needs a very good camp and preseason to have confidence that he can lead us during the regular season. I think Matt will have a strong cast around him and the best offensive line and running game that we have seen in many years so I am excited for this season to begin and for Matt to have a very good season. Go Cards !!!.

21. By brad oneill on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

check out matts rookie numbers vs peyton manning. there isnt a whole lot of difference. his next two years he was in an odd situation with kurt looming large over his shoulders. A lot of people forget that when Matt came to the CArdinals we were not contenders we weren’t even close, he was a rookie on a team that was pretty much written off. Even under warner this team was the worst team to ever make the playoffs remember that? I think given the situations he was as good as could be expected. and now that he has a strong cast around him and an offense designed towards his strengths we should see some great things out of him.

This is MAtts year win lose or draw he is our guy now! Go cards!

22. By brad oneill on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

about having the girl hold the sign. i want you to go ahead and and take a small piece of paper the size of the sign on your monitor and put it over the girl where the sign would be. do you really want the girl holding the sign!!!!

23. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

brad oneil -

OK, I see your point…

Regarding Terrel Owens, I had brought him up a few times myself but I’ve taken a different view since. There’s no denying his talent and I think he can still play even at 36. But there’s also no denying that he’s been a major pain in the ass for every QB he’s played with and head coach he’s played for. His sideline histrionics are the last thing Matt Leinart needs to have to deal with this year. Let someone else take the gamble. Several teams have already said no thanks. And I understand HE said no thanks to the Chiefs because he and Todd Hailey don’t get along! Fact is, he doesn’t get along with ANYONE, ANYWHERE for very long.

2. Jul 19, 2010: Ken Whisenhunt is better than Michael Jordan…at least in Tahoe | phoenix.rssible.com
  3. Aug 12, 2011: Ken Whisenhunt is better than Michael Jordan…at least in Tahoe | Fanster.com - All Sports. All Phoenix.