About future opponents

Posted by Darren Urban on July 20, 2010 – 5:04 pm

There’s been a handful of blog items about 2011 opponents, because the NFL just handed out its 2011 Record and Fact Book and the opponents for next year have already been figured. There has also been confusion, because it doesn’t seem to match up right with home and away opponents (just like this coming season, when everyone wanted to know, for instance, why the Cards are going to San Diego this season when the last time the teams met in the regular season that was also in San Diego).

Next year the Cardinals will host Dallas, the Giants, Cleveland and Pittsburgh while visiting Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore and Cincinnati (in addition to hosting an NFC South team and visiting an NFC North team they ultimately match up with in the 2010 standings). Those paying attention will realize that the last time the Cowboys, Giants, Browns and Steelers played the Cards in the regular season as part of the full divisional rotation, the Cards hosted each time in 2008 with Dallas and New York and in 2007 with Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

(Yes I know the Cards went to New York last year, but that was in a “match-up-with-the-previous-year” game rather than in a year where the Cards played the entire NFC East).

Similarly, the last time the Cards played the Eagles, Redskins, Ravens and Bengals, they were all road games — just like 2011.

The reason is because the NFL is starting over with its rotation as a block of eight seasons, just like it did from 2002 to 2009, to make sure every team plays every other team home and away at least once. It’s not connected with the recent block of schedules, which is why, for instance, the Cards go to Philly twice in a row. In the end, it will equal out.

Unless there are games missed in 2011 because of a work stoppage. Then it’ll get a little messed up I am guessing.

Tags:

22 Responses to “About future opponents”

1. By al konrath on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

This is where the nfl screws up. Why would they have us play the east division in both conferences? That’s an awful lot of traveling. It would make much more sense to play the west of the north of the nfc when we play the east of the Afc.

2. By LadyCard04 on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

It looks like there will be loads of flights to the East coast for the Cards next year. Hopefully the NFL will wake up and schedule some of these games later (4:00 EST) instead of them all being 1:00 PM games. Also hope we don’t get stuck with a Thanksgiving game again…that last one was really brutal.

3. By mikeso on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

and now i know!!!!

4. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

The games that interest me the most are the six games in the division. That’s where the Cardinals can punch their ticket back to the NFC West crown. The games against San Fran are critical. While I think most people are going overboard in evaluating the Niners, the fact is they are improved AND they have clearly shown that they know how to beat the Cardinals ( or, at the very least, that they can give the Cardinals absolute fits even when the Cards do win! ). I think if either of these two teams can sweep the other, they go a long way toward taking the division. Hate to say it, but I don’t think the Cards can drop both games against the Niners ( like last year ) and count on winning enough games elsewhere to win the division.

5. By Mr. Know It All on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

2011=CBA of course !!! Play ON !!!

6. By Walter on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

That sucks. I wish Baltimore would play here so Q could have a home coming.

7. By Eric on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

What a bummer! I was really hoping to see Q come back home next year. Now, it looks like he’ll likely never play here again.

8. By pacardfan on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Yes! My friend is a huge Redskins fan so the past two times (07 and 08), he and I went to see the Cards. vs. Skins. Being that I live in PA, this gives me on of the only few chances for me to see the Cards. live. This is great! I can’t wait to let my bud know! (hopefully the outcome will be dif. next yr. Last two meets, were “L’s”. Thanks for the update infro. for next yr!

9. By cardattac on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey dudes!!! Q is a selfish football player who wanted out of here for years!!! He is at home right now as far as I’m concerned. Not to say I dont like him as a WR,but his attitude is pure and he was hurt a lot. I seem to remember some really important wins when he wasn’t even on the field. And last year….. Dude! Early did better then Q did and he barley played at all.

How about you guys get excited about beating them in there own house instead of bein bummed Q isn’t comin here…. Cuz I doubt he relly cares anyhow. The schedule is what it is. I dont see why it matters who and were we play. They are professionals and its not about havin it easy.

I thought the NFL was about overcoming adversity and challenging for every team. If we dont do well its on us…. Not the schedule!!! Oh man if our schedule was only easier we may have won??? Is that gonna be one of you guys sayin that??? What about the last 30 years of failure??? Was that do to our schedule???

NOPE!!! They play ball anytime and anywhere!!! May the best team win!!!

I’m not worried…. GO CARDS!!!

10. By Matt on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Whats the status with the remaining 3 unsigned draft picks? Are Williams and Washington priority over Scofield since he likely won’t be playing this year due to injury?

11. By darrenurban on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Matt —

I wouldn’t say any are a priority. I think you want all of them signed as soon as possible.

12. By KidStallyn on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Noticing that many (if not all still) of the first rounders not being signed yet, somewhat suggests that the CBA is having a major effect on these rookies contracts. I would have thought it may have an opposite effect, to where they would have all started signing sooner, since there’s a lot of uncertainty with next year even happening. Choosing to hold out this year could be catostrophic to their overall development, especially if players get locked out by owners next season.

What is your take on the effects of the CBA having on this years draft class signings??

Kid

13. By darrenurban on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Kid —

From what I understand, a lot of it has to do with the option/roster bonuses a lot of these high picks have these days, and whether or not they would be paid in the event of a work stoppage. So yes, the CBA issues are definitely rearing its collective ugly head already. That said, I expect most will find a way around it. If I am a rookie, and I know there is a chance I could lose some money next year because of a potential work stoppage, I am certainly not going to lose any money this year.

14. By card62 on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Matts raises a good question on signing O. Scofield. What is the benefit to the Cardinals to sign him before the season starts? He will not play any time soon with his injury and may not play this season, Do we have to cut a player when we sign him? I am glad we took a chance and drafted him as I watched him play several games in college and his play always impressed me, He reminds me of Graham out of Michigan, Go Cards!

15. By darrenurban on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Card62 —

If he isn’t signed, he can’t be at camp. If he isn’t at camp, he can’t rehab with the team, can’t be part of meetings, can’t learn a little about being in the NFL. Schofield needs to sign as soon as he can.

16. By Myman"larry" on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

When will we ever play Dallas in Dallas? We hosted the Cowboys in 06, 08, and now 2010. My husband is a huge Cowboys fan and it would be great to see the new stadium in Dallas but the only way I am paying that much money is if I can watch my Cards play!

17. By chris freeman on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Looking over the madden 11 roster i noticed a few things, one is most of the cards draft pick in the last two years mostly show to be busts in ratings.

but back to the original point of the roster. i would like to know more information about brought in players like stevie baggs, and rex hadnot on how they are forming into the team.

18. By KG on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

D–

Just read that little blurb on Yahoo sports about the running backs and their take on Beanie. Is there any truth to the claim that coming in, there was some sentiment that he was soft? I know the injury early in camp wouldn’t have helped that rep for sure. From all intimations later in the year they had gained respect from the way he ran over people multiple times. Can you shed any light on the Beanie situation and maybe what his teammates expect from him this year?

19. By darrenurban on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Myman —

There are no schedules beyond 2011 but it will happen.

20. By darrenurban on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

Those guys are doing fine but ultimately we won’t know until camp sorts things out.

21. By darrenurban on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

KG —

I think Beanie proved himself to be a tough and good player last year and I think his teammates believe he and Hightower can carry the load.

22. By Conor on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

These guys are the greatest athletes on the planet. A 4 hour plane ride I less than no big deal.