Warner’s life and the Iron Sheik

Posted by Darren Urban on July 20, 2010 – 9:20 am

So the St. Louis Post-Dispatch put out a nugget at the bottom of this column that former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner is listening to offers to either turn his life story into a movie or create a reality show about his big family (or both). That could be interesting (HT, by the way, to The Big Lead on the item). He’s stayed quite busy, hasn’t he? I’ve heard a rumor Warner might be in consideration for “Dancing With The Stars” too. And there is certainly few more prolific on Twitter than Warner since he retired.

As for current Cardinals, our friend the Iron Sheik — defensive lineman Dean Muhtadi — is back in the news. I’m biased toward my story about the happiest man in the NFL, but I suppose it doesn’t hurt to have the Washington Post profile your workouts with some pretty high-brow NFL guys, like teammate Darnell Dockett (shown below with Dean in a Post photo). As people have said before, he’s a guy for which whom you want to root.

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Warner’s life and the Iron Sheik”

1. By Pheenic Cards on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren, does Kurt live here in Phoenix or in St.Louis/somewhere else? I always thought he lived in Phoenix until someone told me he lives in St.Louis.

2. By brad oneill on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

possible name for kurts reality show

40 and 7

seriously Kurt don’t do it. You don’t need the extra pressure on your life. do you really want america taking sides in your spats with your wife. Anyone that opens their lives up like this is nuts in my not so humble opinion. these shows thrive on drama, and nothing causes drama like strife. these shows have shown again and again that they are willing to edit their way into ratings even if it destroys people.

3. By darrenurban on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic –

I am fairly certain Kurt still lives here.

4. By Peter in Canada on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

On Sunday, NFL network replayed the wild card game, Cards against the Packers and did a show about the 1999 Rams. It was truly great to relive those times and tape them for posterity it’s too bad that there will be no more Warner magic. Nevertheless, hoping to see some Leinart magic.

5. By Dave on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Come on Darren! “… for *whom* you want to root!”
    :-)

6. By Chris on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Hoopefully Warner does the realty show. Darren, do you know anything about Donovan Mcnabb’s “Hell Week”? Where its held or if any of the Cardinals attend?

7. By darrenurban on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

I briefly saw something on that but no, I don’t know if any Cards went.

8. By Walter on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Bravo for 9-0! It’s good to see the true leadership from him this off season, with him and A-Dub the big dogs on defense. I’m felling a Freeney/ Mathis type season from Dockett. He’s arguably the best player on D right now (along with Wilson), we CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE HIM! PAY THE MAN!!!

Go 9-0!

9. By cardinalsfan100 on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

i think darnell dockett is a beast! hes our second best player only behind fitz. we need to give them each BIG deals and keep them cards for life. its good to see dockett moving into a leadership role for when a-dub retires.

10. By Joe-B on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather see the movie about his life, there are already shows about families with a bunch of kids.

11. By DCCardinalsFan on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

What do you think Muhtadi’s chances look like? I hear nothing but great things about him so I would assume they are good. He is the strongest player on the team, the hardest working, and can play nose, end, or special teams. Cardinals would be crazy to let him go, especially when it seems like he is getting better each and every day due to his work ethic.

12. By darrenurban on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

DC –

I think working your butt off in the offseason is a good start, but in the end it comes down to talent and your ability to play football. In that sense, he’s got an uphill battle. Not that he can’t play, but there are a lot of talented players in front of him.

13. By Brian R. on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

It’d be nice to see a movie about his life. Kinda sick of the Reality Television shows. If anything dont air it on MTV… Yikes.

14. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

The Kurt Warner story as a movie? GREAT idea and I hope it happens. By the way, I think they should get the guy from the Papa Johns commercials to play Kurt. Anyone else ever thought he looked a lot like Warner??? But the reality show? REALLY bad idea and I hope Kurt has the sense to pass on that one. He’s been such a great story, he went out when he was still on top, and he is a legit candidate for the Hall of Fame. Why risk becoming a joke for some hokey reality show??? They all suck, and I don’t ever want to have my image of Kurt Warner tarnished. And it ain’t like he needs the money…Darren, since we’re talking about Warner ( and remember, YOU brought him up this time, not me! ) I keep hearing little whispers here and there that his ability to throw the deep ball was diminished last year and that this was a considerable factor in his decision to retire. Can you shed any light on that? I know he had the hip surgery during last off-season and then that concussion against the Rams…but other than that, I certainly didn’t hear much during the season about injuries that were limiting his ability. Anything on this?

15. By cardattac on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Well its all just talk right now but I agree with you Brad. Warner is a really classy guy though and I’m sure he will make the right decision.

As for the “Iron Sheik” He has so much passion and heart. It looks like Mr. Lott was right to hook Darnell up with him. They seem to push and work with each other well. I hope he can make the team so they can push each other on the field too. What a sight to see our D play this year. Top 5 baby!!!!

I love the aggressive nature of the way Bill Davis Called our D last year…. His first year as defensive coordinator no less. He wasn’t afraid to call an all out blitz on third and 2 or 3. I know that with the new players we got in the off season ie. Dan Williams, Karry and Joey Porter….. He will be even more aggressive then last year.

GO CARDS!!!!

16. By darrenurban on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Scott H –

Kurt kept saying last year how healthy he felt. And now … it’s really a moot point, right?

17. By John on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Kurt’s a distraction. he’s gone. How about we focus on Matt, Fitz, Wilson, Dockett and the rest of the the 2010 team. I live in the Bay Area and no one here shows the Cardinals any love or respect. Instead of talking about Kurt, how about focusing on winning the conference,the division, the superbowl.
    I would much rather hear about what Matt is doing and the rest of the team.
    Thanks Kurt, but its time for us to move on. Just as Kurt has.

18. By Ditship on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

I’ll be rooting for Sheik but I don’t know who we’d drop to keep him on the roster. If nothing else I hope he can make the PS. I remember there being lots of talk on the boards about how much K.Dykes would contribute if he could make the roster because of his strength and athletic ability.. Seems like he’s almost fallen off the map now. I don’t think it’s likely either knocks Watson off the roster though so likely one will be gone after this season. I would like to retain Sheik and I get this feeling that Whis will reward him with a PS Spot. We will see.

19. By card62 on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Warner is class and should do the movie and stay away from reality bites TV.

Dear John I have been a Cardinal fan for 40 years and in that time I believe we have won 5 playoff games and played in 1 Superbowl and I believe Kurt was under center for 5 of those 6 games so while I look to the future and do not live in the past I do remember our past, the long suffering, yelling at the TV, I feel you and your pain Denny Green, and the few bright spots. Trust me it is nice to remember our brief success in the past and pay tribute to former players and coaches. I feel this also gives us an appreciation for what we have now in the front office, coaching staff, and current players. We do not take this success for granted and I promise you come Sundays this fall we will all be watching the 2010 Cardinals with Matt Leinart and not replaying 2009 & 2008 games with Kurt under center. Go Matt Leinart and go Cards!

Hey Darren do yo think DD & the Sheik could add Duece (The full house) to their workout group?

20. By darrenurban on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Card62 –

I don’t see Deuce making the trip to Maryland.

21. By Thomas77 on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

Do the movie, Kurt; and, for crying out loud, stay out of the Dancing with the Stars and reality show crap! Seriously….

22. By K-DUB on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

I love the idea of the Kurt Warner Story into a movie. Gotta be done by Disney, since The Rookie, Miracle and Invinible were great films based on true stories. But how would you end the movie? We lost in the bowl game, and he got rocked against the Saints. I guess it would be him looking at his number being raised in the Barnstormers arena or at least until he inducted into the HoF. How would you see it?

23. By Thomas77 on Jul 21, 2010 | Reply

K-DUB,

I know you’re asking Darren, but I thought your question was kinda intriguing. My main thought is how would they format the movie? Is it going to be more of a Selena/La Bamba type format, or a Remember the Titans, The Rookie, and the Miracle type format? or even an Ali type? Personally, I’d prefer the Ali one. That movie doesn’t end with Ali’s decline (losses, Parkinsons Disease, etc.), it ends with one of his biggest most memorable fights against George Forman in Zinshasa, Zaire, dubbed “The Rumble in the Jungle”. While I think it makes the subject matter a bit more serious, I think it’s the most appropriate, especially being that Kurt Warner is still alive and has alot of life left in him. In the movie that movie, Ali was sort of portrayed as a bit of a “saviour” in Africa, as well as a very important icon to the African American community. And honestly, Kurt Warner is sorta viewed that way by both the Rams and Cardinals organizations. What Warner did for football in both of these towns is pretty remarkable, and I think that should be the main focus of his football career. (okay, so maybe the iconic comparisons between Ali and Warner aren’t exactly the same, but I still think it could work) And that, I think, should be how the movie ends; with Warner standing at the edge of Tampa Bays tunnel, looking around at the the crowd and seeing alot of Cardinal fans in attendance at Super Bowl XLIII. Other quarterbacks have better numbers. Other quarterbacks have great stories as well. But none of them have taken two completely worthless ball clubs to a state of respect and prominence like Warner did for the Rams and the Cardinals. I think his “Rags to Riches” type of story also lends itself well to that format, along with his charitable and community work, since I’m sure the movie won’t just be about his football career.
    I suppose a more light hearted Disney format could work, but I’d prefer a more thoughtful approach, like Michael Mann’s, “Ali”, personally.

24. By Scott H on Jul 22, 2010 | Reply

John -

Warner is not a distraction. He did a lot of good while he was here and he took us to places where most of us have never been. He retired only a few months ago. Are we supposed to never talk about him again??? Trust me, I am ready to roll with Matt Leinart and wear the # 7 jersey proudly. But I don’t need to “drop” Warner in order to move on. He’s no more of a distraction than Jake Plummer or Aeneas Williams or Frank Sanders or any other player who was here and did good things for this team.

2. Jul 20, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com