Graves talks contracts

Posted by Darren Urban on July 23, 2010 – 3:05 pm

Had a chance to catch up with general manager Rod Graves today to get a state of the state today regarding the three unsigned draft picks — first-rounder Dan Williams, second-rounder Daryl Washington and fourth-rounder O’Brien Schofield — and also where things might stand with defensive tackle Darnell Dockett and his potential contract extension.

Talks are underway with all three draft picks. Graves said he was still hopeful all three will be signed by training camp (the first practice is a week from tomorrow) but “we’ll see how the process goes.”

As far as Dez Bryant, the WR taken 24th overall and two spots ahead of Williams, being signed helping the Williams negotiations, Graves said it does give the area of the round “more clarity” but it’s wait-and-see to find out how or if it will impact things. “It does help to some degree,” Graves said. It may be worth noting the pick between Bryant and Williams is Denver QB Tim Tebow, and quarterbacks always throw off the scale as well.

As for Schofield, Graves is hoping that will be done by camp but he mentioned Schofield’s “unique situation” with his knee injury and “we’ve got to construct a deal that considers that.” “There’s no reason to think we can’t have that deal consummated but there’s not a sense of urgency,” Graves added. “With all three unsigned guys, they have been around and worked hard this summer and been impressive. Schofield has worked extremely hard. Our ultimate goal is to have those guys in on time.”

Right now, only one of 32 first-rounders have signed, and only three of 32 second-rounders. All but four fourth-rounders have signed.

Dockett meanwhile has been talking a lot in media outlets and on Twitter, sounding a least a little more optimistic about his deal. On Sports 620 KTAR he even dropped a line about maybe one being done “sooner instead of later.” Graves said there has been good communication between the sides but acknowledged nothing is done right now. “Dockett has really shown his love for this team and I think in many respects, he has matured quite a bit over the years,” Graves said. “He’s an outstanding football player and at some point, we are going to address his deal. … We’re trying to keep it as positive as we can until we get something done. Our main objective is to keep our main core together and Darnell is one of our core players.”

(Side note from me: I have said it before and I’ll repeat it — I still think the Cards extend Dockett. When I don’t know. If I had to guess — and that’s all it would be is a guess — it would be sometime mid-to-late this season.)

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to “Graves talks contracts”

1. By Bryan on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Yea we heard about that “core” before Graves…then Dansby/Rolle/Boldin out of here….don’t let us down again with Dockett.Pay that man his money :Russian voice from Rounders:

2. By Nick Pepe on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Darnell is and will be a Card. There are quite a few on this team that, if they remain the course, could all be in the “ring of honor” as a Cardinal. That can only lead to good things for the organiztion. Come on September…..let’s get on with this already!

3. By Peter in Canada on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Rolle will not be missed, his salary expectations were unrealistic and IMO he has been replaced by a better player. Boldin had too much mileage on his tires to justify an extension. Doucet had a great game against Green Bay and is an adequate replacement who will improve as Boldin slows down. Dansby will be missed as there is no comparable replacement. It is up to management to use the money saved on Dansby to strengthen other areas and bring along a credible replacement which I believe they are capable of doing.

4. By brad oneill on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

i think graves has done a superb job. Rolle was not worth the money he ended up getting, Dansby was a great player but we were getting torched on defense for the kind of money he was looking for i would expect even more. the entire defense was geared towards his play making his stats were good but the defense was designed that way. i didnt see us shutting down any of the teams we played so I guess the plan wasnt working and needed to change.

as for Boldin, we are going to miss that guy something awful. He gave everything he had to the team and played when a lot of guys would have been sitting out. yes he had some injuries but they were earned the old fashioned way. I loved the way the guy blocked and if i owned the team i would have resigned him based purely on the way he came back after his facial injury.

but luckily for all of you i don’t own anything, so you have graves to make all the decisions instead of me.

5. By Kurt on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Graves has done great work once again, both Rolle and Boldin needed to go. Dansby was a star in a very poreous defense. If a QB Steps up the Cards will nab the NFC West once again.

6. By blake on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

Brad You hit the nail right on the head

7. By aaaaudio on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

There has to be a balance between “core” and budget. This is a business in the end. Hopefully 90 gets done here sooner than later. 1 week til practice is exciting but first preseason game is more exciting.
    Darren, is this unusual for this many 1st rounders to be unsigned at this point in the NFL?

8. By darrenurban on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

aaaudio —

Thought I read yesterday only eight were signed at this point last year, so not really out of ordinary. Ask me again next Wednesday. We’ll have a better idea then.

9. By beauchamp on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

@ bryan and everyone. I saw rolle the day after he “hurt” his ankle at PLC in scottsdale and dansby frequented old town. Out of all times we could have extended dansby he didnt appear to want to be here. Rolle and Dansby were fun to party with and great guys, but their football mindset isnt like dockett’s or joey porters they dont fit our new whiz molded cardinals. They often quit on plays or after committing mistakes showed in their body language we need more anger from bad plays not pity. We need dockett we need wilson and we need more guys like those 2.

10. By Rugbymuffin on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Graves has signed some “core” players, and some he has failed at. Boldin’s situation was a mess, and while my favorite player while here, that was a goof by Graves. Dansby’s situation was getting ridiculous, he didn’t want to stay here, and that was pretty visible.

Rolle, sorry, not a core player. A bust at CB, made CB money to play safety, and while extremely athletic, he never handled the mental understanding of his position very well. I was shocked that we were trying to pay him so much.

Dockett’s impending extension is very important for many reasons, one because he is a great player, and two it will help Graves’ word not sound like empty rhetoric.

11. By Jeff Gollin on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

I don’t get it.

If Darnell wants to get a deal done and the Cardinals want to get a deal done, why wait until mid-season to nail down the inevitable? Why not get it done now, remove it as a distraction and use it to help build positive karma and momentum going into next season?

The only plausible reason for waiting til mid-season would logically be that the Cards want to retain as much overall spending/cap-flexibility as possible for as long as possible.

This is one of those rare opportunities for the Cardinal FO to do the right thing by doing something that makes the club look good and Nine-Oh look good.

12. By luis on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Do you know what the weather is going to be like this weekend up in Flagstaff? Im driving from Phoenix (its going to be my first time up there). Hopefully everyone is signed by then. Do you know if everyone else should be there on the first day?

13. By R Robles on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

I want Dockett to get extended 5 years before we start presaeson so the beast can be released from his cage & crush anybodies O Line

14. By Javi on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

hey darren dont say im wrong but the cardinals need a fourth wide reicever!! and another linebacker so i was looking at NFL.com under free agency and heres a wide reiciver for us Domenik Hixon!! and for are defense a special fit would be Mr. Shawne Merriman i mean he’s still availiabe!!! the rod graves just needs to have meets with great players the best player the cards got is in my opinion Joey Porter so what do you think can the cards get some “NAME RECOGNATION” players??

15. By cardattac on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Yeah man!!! Let the debate Rolle on!!! I think If any one hit the nail on the head it was Beauchamp! Whiz and Graves are Boldin out the old Rolle-in in the new!!! Get the selfish players out and guys that just plane want to be here in!!! We did need a change on D. More aggression and attitude to fit Bill Davis and Ken!

And I know Joey isn’t a WILB like Dasby…. But he will play on the same side of the field as him. Maybe that will take a little pressure off Lenon/Washinton till they get there grove on. That is if they aren’t already tearin it up. Which is easy to say they will be givin the hard work our has been doin.

No worries fellas…. GO CARDS!!!

16. By SeeingRed on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, true we have heard that “core” statement and watched exactly that get gutted from the team. It’s not always just the obvious one’s ie Dansby, Rolle, Q etc but remember that special teams captain that left for Seattle?

Not complaining as I feel Dansby and Rolle were overpaid where they ended up and it was probably necessary that Q get a fresh start and finally get paid…just saying that Dockett is a core player who is worth the money considering his intensity, lack of injuries and production…if he’s not worth extending then who the heck is?? I believe this season is CRUCIAL to the Cardinals earning the reputation of a reborn/renewed elite organization that can lose players and still be a NFC power-anytime/anywhere-and not just a team that got lucky for a couple of seasons.

All that said, it’s our ILB situation that has me most worried entering camp…oh, well. In Whiz We Trust…go Cards!

17. By darrenurban on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Luis —

I have to say I am not a weatherman nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

As for attendance, everyone should be there. I can’t guarantee anything.

18. By darrenurban on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Javi —

It’s not about name recognition. It’s fit, it’s cost and it’s balance. They feel they have plenty of receivers. And Merriman is not available.

19. By card62 on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I think DD will get done just like I think Tom Brady and Peyton Manning will get done, but teams have to think hard about signing players this year with the potential for no football in 2011.

I agree with everyone that Rolle is overpaid just like Calvin Pace was overpaid and sometimes you have to let players go. I liked A. Smith on our DL but he earned a sweet deal from Houston so we also lost him.

A. Boldin and K. Dansby are tough ones as they contributed a lot for us, and Boldin’s mentality is definitely that of a warrior so I will miss Boldin most of all and wish him well. I believe I read somewhere that Boldin’s contract with the Ravens was very much in the ball park to what the Cardinals were offering Boldin over a year ago. All relationships take both parties so I understand why we traded Boldin, but he will always be a Cardinal to me.

I watched D. Dockett on a football program a week or two ago and when he was asked about a player having a breakout season in 2010 he immediately went to E. Doucet. The announcer mentioned Beanie Wells and Dockett said that Wells will do fine in 2010 but that Doucet was his choice for a great seaon. I found this very encouraging.

What I would have done differently if I was the Cardinal GM is that I would have signed Marc Bulger to backup Leinart instead of Anderson, and I would have traded for Teddy Ginn and not drafted the WR in the 3rd round but the TE Hernandez out of Florida, and I would have picked up some CB help. I think CB and inside LB will be our two major areas of concern this season, and what we will need to improve on next year, but hopefully our interior D line and outside pass rushers can help offset these 2 areas. NFL GM is not an easy job, but one I would love to have and this is what I would have done so let me know if you guys agree with me or what different moves you would make if you were Cardinals GM. GO Cards!!!

20. By theoriginalcardsfan on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Bryan – stop panicking. Who called Boldin, Rolle, and Dansby the core? These guys aren’t worth the coin the got. It’s hard to justify paying Dansby all that money when the run the defense was shredded for most of the year. Rolle – ugh. Overrated for the money he got. As for Boldin – No one will miss him with Doucet and Breaston.

2. Jul 27, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog