Bulluck goes to Giants

Posted by Darren Urban on July 24, 2010 – 6:56 pm

Apparently, veteran free-agent linebacker Keith Bulluck visited the Cards this past week (I knew that guy I saw talking to coach Ken Whisenhunt looked familiar) but in the end, decided to sign with the Giants instead of the Cards. Bulluck is from New York, so it probably wasn’t a fair fight, but according to ESPN.com’s story, Whisenhunt and Bulluck had a good conversation and the Cards wanted Bulluck to start for them in the middle — not a big surprise, given the uncertainty around the back-troubled Gerald Hayes. Bulluck tore up his knee late last season but has recovered. He was doing a chunk of his rehab here in Phoenix with Brett Fischer — who works with the Cardinals — so the Cards probably had pretty good intel on Bulluck’s recovery.

“I’m a New York dude — no way I can play anyplace else,” Bulluck told the website. “New York’s about toughness … the NFC East. That’s where I belong.”

We’ll see if the Cards keep looking around for linebackers or if Bulluck, who has been very good over his long career, was a special case.

Tags: , ,

40 Responses to “Bulluck goes to Giants”

1. By moe on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

we dont need him will we be ok i have faith in our young guys

2. By SeeingRed on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

My goodness, I sure hope they keep looking….and not just wait until end of camp to see who gets cut, etc

3. By Eric on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Is there anyone else you’ve seen visiting? And obviously, Bulluck’s visit would seem to indicate that the coaching staff is not satisfied with the LB corps. Do you see them looking into another prospect or sticking with what they have?

4. By darrenurban on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Eric –

I think it’ll be a case-by-case basis. Bulluck, if healthy, is a different choice than some of the other choices still out there. We will see who gets cut too.

5. By Chad on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

I hope we sign some more. It feels like we have rookies and veterans, but nobody in the middle with only a few years under their belt. We were thin at LB last year and I really hope we have depth this year.

6. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren, the two weakest spots on the D seem to be CB and LB, if Hayes back doesn’t hold up.
    Any chance of Ralph Brown and Chike Okeafor coming back if they take drastic pay cuts from last season? They know the system.
    Also, if they were interested in Bulluck with the injured knee, who plays OLB, why not Shawne Merrieman or Angelo Crowell?

7. By Eazy E on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Alllllllll! Keith Bulluck is a beast. The best coverage LB i’ve ever seen and can hit you in the running game. As Darren said, he’s from new york, so that was gonna be tough to beat out, but still, would have loved to have gotten KB. The hayes situation must be serious considering that we went after a player of KB caliber, keep looking cards, we’ll find that ILB. Gerald Hayes already won’t practice when training camp opens and hopefully he doesn’t have to hit the PUP list.

8. By Sammy D on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

I know we have 2 good Running backs in Hightower and Beanie, plus some others backing up. Edgerrin James is a Free agent at the moment, any chance he might return?

9. By shannonrobinson on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

I guess this tells us that Hayes is going on the PUP list and won’t be available for siz weeks into the season. Everybody remembers the open field tackle Ali Highsmith missed early last year – critical mistake to learn from or career summary? He’s good on special teams. Beisel has guts and gets to the hole quickly but he’s more of a sure tackle than a big hitter.I call him Beisel the Diesel which I realize is a mispronunciation. I’m thinking Reggie Walker deserves and gets a shot till Daryl Washington is ready. Maybe we bring back Pago Togafau again so everybody can mispronounce his name – he’s a hitter and fullfills my request for at least two Polynesians on the team. However this will not be the last season changing injury in Camp – it’s the grist of the game. Once again the importance of John Lott who daily builds injury insurance.

10. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

Can’t speak on Crowell, but Bulluck could play inside. Merriman can’t. And Bulluck, with his years and age, was willing to take a one-year deal. Merriman is looking for the same kind of money Dockett wants (plus Merriman, which everyone seems to keep forgetting, is not free. He is an unsigned RFA, meaning the Cards would have to trade for him).

To me, Ralph Brown would seem an option, but maybe the coaches have determined he isn’t any better than the depth already on the roster. Chike was a DE most of his career. He can’t play ILB, and that’s the issue. I think OLB is OK. I think it’s clear ILB and CB are areas of concern.

11. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Sammy –

None.

I doubt Edgerrin will ever play another down in the NFL.

12. By DRC#1FAN on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

ILB we do have Paris Lenon. He is one of those middle guys. not to old but been around about 4 years I think. This will be a break out year for him. he has had over 100 tackles in almost every season he has played. he just so happened to be on the lions and rams. with us. he found a place where he will be the #1 MLB and I believe he will play like it. He is a smart tough athlete who just hasnt had the team or scheme to shine yet. just watch. this year. the year of the LIONHEART will show everyone why Whiz is a good coach. nto becveuase of the all stars we signed. but the ones we can create within our system.

13. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Shannon –

I think that’s a huge leap in logic that Hayes will be on PUP. I think the Cards are always looking for good players and to improve, and they were likely waiting for Bulluck to be fully cleared to play before chasing him, which is why it took until last week before Bulluck visited both them and the Giants — not necessarily because they suddenly think Hayes is done (don’t forget; the Hayes news just got out there, but he had his surgery done weeks ago — it wasn’t “new” news to the Cards themselves).

14. By shannonrobinson on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren
    I appreciate your insight and the smack to the head with the rolled up newspaper. I would certainly prefer to go with who we got. I remember Gerald’s comment that he could manage the injury

15. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Shannon –

Well, I am not saying they aren’t wondering what Hayes can give them, but I don’t think there is a certainty he can’t give them anything. Not yet anyway.

16. By Peter in Canada on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

DRC- Lenon is 32. He’s ben around the NFL for 9 years so he’s not likely to have a breakout year. He had a 3 year deal with the Lions and prior to being picked up by the Rams was released by the Pats. He made a lot of tackles playing behind weak lines. Do you know if he’s an every down linebacker Darren or is he mainly a run stuffer?

17. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

My guess is that Lenon will be part of a rotation. Few guys anymore are every-down linebackers.

18. By Derrik on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    There will be more LB’s cut around the NFL camps in a few weeks to choose from…I wonder if J. Trotter has anything left, or does Philly still have him under contract?

Thanks

19. By Dan on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

I think we need to sign Jeremiah Trotter, he still has something in the tank.

20. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Dan, Derrik –

I am not sure of Trotter’s situation, but it would not surprise me to see the Cards sign a veteran.

21. By Jonathan on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Off topic question. Now that Arizona is going to pass the new immigration law, how is this going to affect the whole Cardinals org. and what are the organizations thoughts about it??

22. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Jonathan –

That I don’t know.

23. By Javi on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

hey darren wow im just counting the days that are left until the kickoff off preseason!!! well any WAYS darren,,,, bulluck would of been a great player for us to have but he left my question for you is are the cardinals going to sign any other veteran players before preseason?? and are the cards interested in any veterans as i write this?? THANK YOU SO MUCH DARREN FOR HELPING US HERE AT AZCARDINALS.COM YOU ROCK THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Dan on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

I actually like Reggie Walker a lot, maybe he will get his chance but it wouldn’t hurt picking up a veteran before the regular season starts for depth at the position, even Will Davis could play ILB.

25. By darrenurban on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Javi –

I am not sure if the Cards are looking at any other vets right now.

26. By Tinted Face Shield on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

There is no depth at corner… What if DRC goes down? He seems pretty injury prone. Any good defense has three solid cornerbacks. Look at the Jets.

How is McFadden doing? What about Hood?

27. By Tinted Face Shield on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Is there anything going on with Gandy, Okeafor or St. Pierre?

28. By Darthcard on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I give props fir the cards for trying. I knew not retaining dansby would bite the cards in the keester. Yes k-Los was slightly overpaid but the cards are very very weak at linebacker. 31st ranking is because of inexperience and hum hum lack of known talent.

29. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

Since camps haven’t started, I don’t know what McFadden in doing in Pitt. Hood, I believe I saw, got hurt this offseason.

30. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

None of those guys are coming back to the Cards if that is what you are asking. I have not heard their names mentioned anywhere in terms of signing with another team.

31. By SierraVistaNick on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Off topic, what is the date of “Red & White” day for training camp? I tried searching and couldn’t find it.

Thanks,
    Nick

32. By Peter in Canada on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

The big problem IMO with the linebackers is age. Of the projected starters Haggans and Porter are 33, Lenon is 32 and Hayes is 29 but is already injured. They need real depth as the odds of injury are great. Unless they sign a veteran there’s an excellent chance that at least one of the young guys will have to step up and play serious minutes.

33. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

SierraVistaNick –

Aug. 7. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/2010-training-camp.html

34. By Tinted Face Shield on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I knew they weren’t coming back but its interesting how two starters on a playoff team, cant find a team to play for. I guess it’s the way the league is structured?

35. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

Or they have just run out of gas. Gandy has been around 10 years, Chike 12. They may just be done.

36. By georgiebird on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I heard Bullock’s talk and he also said he chose the Giants because the Cardinals are in a state of flux having lost Warner and several other starters

37. By 98CardsFan on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    It’s been awhile since I last wrote so how ya been? The LB issues are cut & dry. Age for the starters and Inexperience for the young guys. I don’t see that combination working out for a full season. Seeing as how the Cards have drafted pretty well in recent years along with the possibility of having some compensatory picks in the 2011 draft (should there be one), would the team consider trading a pick for a LB that can play well this year to help shore up the middle of the defense? Systems change for teams almost every year, are there any players who have become “dispensable” to their new system we can pick up for a mid round pick? Bulluck spurned us, and I don’t hold that against him, but we shouldn’t forget that either. With everything that has gone down this offseason the organization needs to make a statement to the league and to the fans that even though we had a great era with Warner at the helm that they are by no means going to stand pat and see what shakes out for us this year. It’s their move, yes? Thanks I was a bit long winded.

38. By darrenurban on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

98Cards –

I don’t know if they would do a trade, but it would have to make sense. The problem with a trade now is that everyone knows players are going to be cut in a month. Why give away a pick when the guy might end up on the street anyway?

39. By 98CardsFan on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

That’s true. I would think the trade would have to be early in the season. At least Bulluck gave us some thought, unlike Hardy Nickerson. Good times.

40. By Scott H on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Depth at LB and CB have been a concern all along ( for me, anyway ) and the issue with Hayes’ health just adds to the concern. Through all of the names that have been thrown out, I have yet to hear one that gets me excited in the least. Sure, a trade is a possibility but…what position are we so solid with that we could give up a quality player and still be OK? I’d be surprised if a trade happens here. I really haven’t had much of a chance to look around the league at other LB situations…anyone see a potential cut anywhere that the Cardinals would benefit from??? And BTW, I’d say jeremiah Trotter is done. He looked pretty done during his recent attempt at a comeback with the Eagles. And now he’s been out of football for a few season for the seond time??? Forget it. Who knows…maybe one of our own rookies from last year or this will be the un-expected savior? Could happen….