Gant talks about suspension

Posted by Darren Urban on July 26, 2010 – 4:57 pm

Wide receiver Ed Gant was hoping to make a run at the Cards’ fourth receiver job in training camp, and he still could make inroads. But Onrea Jones outperformed everyone in OTAs to give himself an edge, and then Gant was hit with an NFL-imposed four-game suspension last month that — even if he makes the team — will keep him out the first four regular-season games for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Gant has continued to work out at the team’s Tempe facility (he can do everything with the team until the Monday before the regular season starts) and when asked about if he has dealt with the suspension mentally, he acknowledged, “Not really.”

“I’ll leave it to God’s hands,” Gant said. “All I can do is keep working, keep studying.”

As for flunking the test, Gant said he had been taking workout supplements. “I was (also) taking some pain pills and supposedly, that’s what triggered it,” Gant said. “Who knows? The NFL has spoken. … It was shocking when coach (Ken) Whisenhunt called me. But other than that, I can’t let it get to me. Stuff happens. I have to keep working.”

Tight end Ben Patrick went through the same thing last year, and Gant said Patrick has given him some encouraging words. Then again, Patrick was a front-runner to start and was in good shape to be around after his suspension ended. Gant was already facing an uphill climb to the roster and this makes it harder. He wouldn’t count against the roster while suspended, which will help his cause, but nothing is certain. Gant also talked to his brother, Redskins cornerback Philip Buchanon, who also tried to give Gant a pep talk.

“I just have to keep fighting,” Gant said. “It is what it is. I’m trying not to let it get to me.”

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “Gant talks about suspension”

1. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Dead man walking…
    or running pass routes.

2. By fightingbird on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

My opinion is that ED Gant is a pro and for what ever reason he failed that test but atleast it wasnt pot,alcohol,cocaine or one of those crazy drugs that can put you in the big house.Mr. gant if you read these comments I have been a cards fan since I was 7 years old, living in N.C. all my life. On july 30th I will turn 46 and Ive watched me some football in my life and I believe you have what it takes to be one of the best so hunker down and make this happen ,ok. !!!!

3. By Richard S on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I suppose the fact that he wouldn’t count against the roster would give him a better chance of hanging around in case any of the other wide receivers get hurt being able to step in and being familiar with the playbook. Sometimes you never know whether something is good or bad until afterwards. When Ron Brown was named Commerce Secretary he probably thought that was good until he took a plane flight in Africa. When the Edge got sat down on the bench, he probably thought that was bad, but he was fresh for the playoffs. You never know.

4. By Dan on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Everybody takes steroids in the NFL, when there is huge money involved and a short career, why not? Wish I would have taken steroids when I had the chance, guess I was just hard headed.

5. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

“Dan”, are you Marino or Fouts?
    Don’t break my steroid-free bubble.

6. By Eazy E on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Ed Gant has great bloodlines. Hopefully he’ll be ok.

7. By Ben on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

SOOO??? Did he answer any questions? What exactly was it that “triggered” the result? Was it the mixture or pain killers and work out supplements? From your artcle he is saying it was the pain killers, So why even mention workout supplements? What pain killer was he taking that was banned? Did he have a prescription to take them?

Seems like a lot of blowing it off and not a lot of answers. Would have liked to hear whether he got “caught” or if he thinks he just “made a mistake”…

Sorry Darren, this article seemed pointless to me, but thanks for the read, keep up the good work.

8. By DRC#1FAN on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

still waiting on some in depth about our rookie ILB. with our ILB spot looking young and think. I am wondering about this guy, i like his college film, how is he handling the NFL in these early stages?

9. By JohnnyV on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

With the Cardinals so thin at MLB, do you think there is a chance the team could look at a guy like Jeremiah Trotter? The guys only 32 and is the most experienced free agent ILB on the market currently. I know Whiz’s policy with starting rookies, and frankly I’d hate to see a guy like Monty Biesel in there game one. What do you think?

10. By DRC#1FAN on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

young and thin… not young and think***

11. By darrenurban on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

DRC –

That will be coming in training camp.

12. By darrenurban on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

JohnnyV –

Trotter has a lot of mileage on him. I won’t be surprised if the Cards chase a veteran, but they might get through a week or two of camp to see what they already have and see what injuries crop up.

2. Oct 5, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog