• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Just carry the pads

Posted by Darren Urban on July 26, 2010 – 11:00 am

When most teams aren’t in camp yet, these are the stories that catch fire — Cowboys No. 1 draft pick Dez Bryant, refusing to carry the pads of fellow receiver Roy Williams after practice despite it being a time-honored tradition on every team. It happens on the Cardinals all the time. I saw many rookies doing it this offseason after OTAs, and that included No. 1 pick Dan Williams. It’s harmless, and refusing to do so creates more harm than good.

Larry Fitzgerald said the story should have stayed in-house and not gotten into the media. Maybe he is right. But that doesn’t change the fundamentals of the situation.

“You can say it’s hazing or messing with the young guys, but really what it is in my opinion is, it’s an invitation to be a part of the team, to be part of the family,” running back Jason Wright said. “This is how you get into the family.”

“And,” Wright added with a laugh, “if you throw a hissy fit over it, we’re going to have trouble being family.”

Defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was willing to look into the dynamic. Dockett wondered if it was personal between Bryant and Williams, and if so, he was willing to understand. Dockett said he carried pads for whoever asked when he was a rookie save for one player — former defensive tackle Russell Davis, with whom Dockett apparently didn’t see eye-to-eye. “But if (Bryant) treats all the receivers like that,” Dockett said, “then, I’d make it miserable for him.”

The Cards’ rookies don’t exactly deal with a gauntlet. There are no crazy tapings to a goal post. They carry pads. They have to buy breakfast a few times. And there is the singing of the college fight song in training camp and the end-of-camp rookie show (which many times carries parodies of veterans and coaches anyway, so there are zings all around).

“You’ve got to earn your keep,” second-year linebacker Reggie Walker said. “It’s really not a big deal.”

Wright was cut early in camp by the 49ers when he was a rookie, so he escaped a lot of pad-carrying. By the time he hooked on with the Falcons, he didn’t have to carry pads, but he ended up buying a lot of breakfasts. “I had Warrick Dunn’s Waffle House order and T.J. Duckett’s Waffle House order in my phone, ready to go,” Wright said.

Dan Williams has certainly carried Dockett’s pads a few times already.

“No question,” Dockett said. “And he’s going to do a lot of other (stuff) too.”

Tags: , , , ,

35 Responses to “Just carry the pads”

1. By aaaaudio on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

To me unless it is something personal jus carry the pads and show some respect

2. By Boondock on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Roy Williams is garbage…I don’t blame Dez, he is probably just afraid that if he touches anything that Williams has worn he will lose his ability to catch the football.

3. By Kurt on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Thank goodness Dez is not a Cardinal, now he knows why he dropped down the draft board.

4. By Rugbymuffin on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

It is part of the culture of the game.

Dez Bryant is a punk, end of story. I don’t want to hear about rough up bringings, personal pride, or any excuse.

Every person in every walk of life does it. In one sport it is carrying pads. In other sports you run a Zulu after you first try.

It is part of it. If Dez was on my team, he would be intiated “the hard way”. Just try to smash him into tiny pieces during the first contact drill. That is the “hard way” to be intiated.

Punk.

5. By Tyler on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Come on. Dez needs to stop acting ‘hard’ cuz you cant act hard until you do the time. Its tradition. He is such a whiny wimp. No one likes it, but like you said you are becoming one by starting with the same experiences. I’m not on the team, but I’ll carry some pads if you need. No money, but for the family experience.

6. By LadyCard04 on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

If he won’t carry the pads in camp, what won’t he do during season. What if he is asked to block for Williams? Will he refuse? Just a really bad way to start off your relationship with a new team, especially for a rookie!

7. By bobF on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Even if there IS something personal, it’s part of the deal. He will get no respect fast with this kind of attitude.

8. By K-DUB on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

This is good more bad chemistry for the cowboys, I love it. Rookies know that you are not above anyone, no one is. There’s the Team then the rookies, you got to earn the Team spot by showing respect, then you get some in return. Who does Bryant think he is? He’s not even a top ten pick.

9. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Bryant is a malcontent, fits in perfectly with the Poopkickers persona.
    From what I could find, the worst the vets make the rookies do, other than carry equipment and pay for dinners, is sing a song in front of the team. Leinart did “Ice, Ice, Baby” while LaRuSH and Beanie did an R&B duet.
    However, Former Card kicker Greg Davis said when he was in camp with Stoney Case they shot bottle rockets into his room at 2am and put a catfish head on his doorknob. Then placed smoke bombs and fireworks in Case’s truck engine and when Stoney turned the ignition on watched the cab fill with smoke and noise.

10. By chris freeman on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Darrell –

speaking of training camp please explain to my again why we kept micheal adams, there are dso many better FAs out there with less experience. i understand why mcfadden is gone, watching him this year he was always out of possision or not playing the ball but the Wr he was covering. but if we get rid of mcfadden because WRs easily blew pat him and without much leap ability to challenge for the ball then why keep adams , if he is smaller with less to offer (in my eyes) and easy for offences to throw over, I thought he was gone in 08 and 09 yet hes still here, why is that.

… and dont say its because he has heart, because his intangables do not match up to what arizona needs.

sorry, i just fear the fact that when adams is on the field it gives offences that much more play ability.

11. By Cardsfan 50 on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

It isn’t surprising this selfish guy would think he is above these rituals. Jerry Jones has come a cropper with Bryant. Just another Diva.

As for Dockett, he needs to take care of his own business and quit trying to be the judge of everybody else. He may have earned that right, but it is a stupid thing to do anyway.

12. By We'll miss Q on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I never understood the hazing thing at all. Yes in college, but these guy are supposed to be pros. Seems more like “well I had to do it, so you have to do it” mentality to me, which is stupid. Anyway if they all do it, he should too.

13. By Cards24fan on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Just carry the pads regardless is my thought! If you won’t even participate in that with a teammate you may not like, how can you be counted on to have his back on the field??

I’d be curious to know if Davis ever asked Doc to carry his pads or if the animosity went both ways?

GO CARDINALS!!

14. By Eazy E on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Great job Dez! I don’t wanna carry no pads! He aint the first and he aint gonna be da last.

15. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

I can tell you the hijinks definitely got low-key when Whisenhunt arrived. This staff doesn’t want anything crazy.

16. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

I understand Michael struggled late last year. But he played well in the preseason, he is very good on special teams and, in the end, I have to defer to a coaching staff that indeed likes what Adams provides on the field and in the locker room.

Oh, and the name is Darren.

17. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan –

Let’s be fair with Darnell. It’s not like he called me up to tell me what he told me. I asked him the question and he answered. Just like Walker and Wright did.

18. By Dan on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Looks like Dez has an attitude problem. Either way, the dude is a friggin stud. Dez right now looks like one of the best WRs in the league from what I’ve seen. He’s a beast.

19. By brad oneill on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

i think its time for the duck tape a flat bench and some serious pink bellies.

20. By Sean on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I like 2 teams. The Cardinals, and anyone playing the Cowgirls. What inspires them to keep bringing Prima Donnas to the team is beyond me.

21. By Nick Pepe on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I may be reading too much into this, but to me Dez feels he is better than most and that attitude will not get him far on or off the field. Train wreck waiting to happen.
    Darrell…….Darren or your brother Darren, do you feel all rookies will be in camp on time?

22. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

Good question. Right now, I will say yes. Ask me again Friday morning. If Williams misses time, I would think it’ll only be a day or two.

23. By Blair on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Adams is trash, and if you need any proof feel free to watch week 17. Lets hope DRC and Toler never have to leave the field.

24. By Richard S on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

The bit of hazing I remember when a freshman in college, this football player claimed he could pick up 3 people at one time. I was the biggest freshman and fool around, so I got the middle position laying on the floor with arms and legs interlocked and he started to pick me up by my pants and another kid showed up with shaving cream. That’s as far as it went and I guess if you weren’t on the receiving end it was kind of funny.

25. By CrazyLady25 on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I think Dez wouldn’t carry the pads – b/c they belonged to Williams. About 3 weeks ago Williams blasted Dez on Twitter. If Miles Austin asked him to carry his pads there would be no problem.

26. By darrenurban on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Blair –

Trash is a heavy-duty term there, Coach.

27. By Walter on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

I can understand where Dez is coming from. I mean, would you carry Roy Williams pads? I know I sure as hell wouldn’t. lol

28. By Jesse Robles on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

By the looks of it, Williams should’ve been carrying Bryants pads, he’s horrible and NOT a #2. Its deff a personal issue, but Bryant needs to learn some discipline.

29. By Scott H on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

Dear Dez – just shut up and carry the damn pads. This is a team sport with simple and harmless traditions that are more about building team cohesion and chemistry than anything else. You do whatever your team’s traditional “hazing” chores are, you earn the respect of your teammates, you become accepted as one of the guys, and you move on with the support of your teammates. Or…you can act like a total jack-ass and start your NFL career by making a bad impression on the guys who may decide they don’t have your back since you didn’t have theirs’. It seems a pretty simple choice to make but how often do the real “problem children” of pro sports seem to screw up the simple choices?

And to Roy Williams – dude, how bad does it have to get for you before you decide to have some pride in yourself and get your career back??? Last year, some guy named Miles Austin blew you into the weeds and NOW you have some rookie telling you he ain’t carrying your pads??? Didn’t you used to be a top tier WR in this league? Better start getting your act together or the next stop is the Oakland Raiders….and THEY may not even want you at this point!

30. By chad d. on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

thank god he’s not a card. i could care less what he does or doesn’t do

31. By cardattac on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Wow!!! What a surprise. The Cowgirls drafted a selfish little twerp. All the better in my eyes. All that drama in there locker room should reflect on the field. So later in the year when they come to our house and they are fallin apart we get to spank’em on Christmas day!!! Marry Christmas to us!!

GO CARDS!!!

32. By Morris on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

speaking of rookies,when is the cardinals going to sign their top 3 picks? its almost training camp

33. By darrenurban on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Morris –

They are thinking about waiting until October.

34. By trent on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply