A Dockett tease

Posted by Darren Urban on July 27, 2010 – 9:16 pm

You never know what you’re going to get with Darnell Dockett. He’s gotten very good at getting himself out there and finding the resulting attention. He has capitalized on Twitter. So while I’m sitting here working on the computer, it’s hard not to take notice when Darnell fires off this tweet:

“To all my cardinal and dockett Fans I’m gonna post a link that I want u all to read and just try to understand!”

Then, a few minutes later, there was this follow-up tweet:

“Nothermind ill just share it with yall at a respectable time. Just know I never wanted things to get this Far!! Ttyl! And much love!”

Now, this could mean a whole lot of not-a-big-deal. But … understand what? Never wanted what to get this far? A glass half-empty person (OK, like myself) wonders, “Is there any way this is contract related?” Or, “Might he be implying he could not show up to camp on time in protest?” (And maybe I am just reading way, way too much into this). Maybe it was just that he said something on Twitter at some point negatively about Vernon Davis or taking a shower and feels the need to clarify. Darnell has been at the complex this week and working out, and I just don’t see why he’d do all that if he was stewing about his contract. If I am betting, I am betting Dock is there Friday night in Flagstaff. (And GM Rod Graves just said the other day that contract isn’t about to happen right now, and I am sure Darnell knows that).

Of course, in the end, maybe this is exactly what Nine-0 wanted. A night of speculation even if there is nothing behind it.

Tags: ,

42 Responses to “A Dockett tease”

1. By Brandon on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m a glass half empty person also,I hope that hes punking us and hes really getting a new deal,but thats prolly not true. I dont think he will be a card much longer.

2. By mike b on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

This could mean we found a vet LB……….

3. By Renee on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

the suspense is killing me. (no sarcasm)

4. By Riggs2136 on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Yeah.. So.. while I agree he wouldn’t be there working out all off season if this was a contract thing, I cant help but think that maybe he was told recently his contract wont be coming “sooner than people think” and is NOW going to make a deal about it. Hope I’m wrong.

5. By darrenurban on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

Oh, he’s going to be a Card. He is under contract through 2011. He isn’t going anywhere.

6. By Riggs2136 on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Mike B,

How did you come up with that from what he said?

7. By Riggs2136 on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Speculate for me. What do you think?

8. By Fitz4Mtrushmore on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

Wasn’t Rosenhaus supposed to meet with RG sometime this week in Az? Maybe things went south after that meeting…hope not & this is a joke, but with any client Rosenhaus has we can’t be suprised.

9. By Brandon on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

I know that I’m talking after 2011,I dont think he will be a card.

10. By Bryan on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

He is the best DT in the NFL.The longer the Cardinals hold this up the more $$$ it’s gonna take to keep 9-0 after his contract.IMO him and Fitz are the best players on the team,make him happy Graves.CORE.

11. By Ben on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

If he does not get the new deal then I am cancelling my season tickets for the next season. I’ll just quit wasting my time and watch from home for free.

12. By Norteno_9er4Life on Jul 27, 2010 | Reply

LMAO! Fatso want his money!! FAILURE SEASON 4 da CARDS! GO 9ERS!!

13. By Christo on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

The FO better pay 9 – 0. Really this guy is a monster. Yes. It is going to cost a fortune. Get it done. Pay him.

I will be so pissed if we lose another baller over money. It’s bad enough we let a beast like Q go for Kerry Rhodes. Yep that’s what the trade got us.

Rolle, Dansby those were good decisions to let walk.

Not NINE Ohhh, gotta lock him up. Do it a year early Graves.

14. By FightON! on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

For heaven’s sake…what is it with these Florida guys and their insistance on being drama queens? Shut up and just play, or go put on a dress.

15. By K-DUB on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m not a glass half empty or half full kind of guy. I’m more of a what’s in the glass kind of guy.

16. By Curtis on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

I am fairly confident about our offense and offensive line. I am very interested to see how Brandon Keith performs. If i am not mistaken, he was drafted low, because of character issues. I have heard nothing which is good news and so it would seem that was just noise. So did the Cards get a steal with him?

Also, we are hearing a lot about Greg Toler but i have a question regarding one other plaer A.J. Jefferson. I thought he had a draft grade but didn’t get drafted. I am hopeful he will be a surprise and jumping to a solid number 3. What have you seen from A.J. and what do you think?

17. By darrenurban on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Riggs –

I think I speculated above. Hopefully, this gets cleared up today.

18. By darrenurban on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Fitz4 –

I don’t know about any meeting. I know Darnell spoke with Whisenhunt this week. The idea that nothing is imminent can’t be a surprise to Darnell.

19. By darrenurban on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Curtis –

I think A.J. has potential, but I’m not sure he is ahead of the other UDFA Marshay Green right now.

20. By We'll miss Q on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

There is simply no reason to re-do Dockett’s contract NONE. He is signed through 2011 2 MORE FULL YEARS. Then they could franchise him. If he did not want this contract he shouldn’t have signed it. Let’s get more than ONE pro-bowl year from him and then pay him like a top 5.

21. By cardattac on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Dude Darnell is just a big goofball it seems. I think its just surprising cuz in the past he has never put himself out there like he has been. I dont take much of his TWEETER comments to serious. This did get me thinking though…..

TWEETER to me seems like a group of high school kids created it just to gossip and start rumors. I sure hope if it is something important that he would leave it out of TWEETER. If not…. It looks like he is havin a lot of fun this offseason which is nice to see for a change. Also if he did try and protest I would be sorely disappointed.

Not to mention he would probably feel pretty stupid cuz he would be the only one sitting on the sidelines pouting. No Q to sit with and all the hard work he has put in would be for nothin. I just dont see that happening. He now knows what it takes to get a new contract with the cards. And now he is doin it right.

I hope he doesn’t screw himself up by playing on TWEETER though. His teammates better tell him something if thats the case. We need him on the field and clear headed. He is bringing a little to much attention to himself…. In my opinion.

22. By cardattac on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

We’ll miss Q

I couldn’t agree more. I know Hes gonna make like 3 or 4 mill this year right. Its not like he is hurting. he will be fine and when he can show the office and coachs he cares more about the team then money… Which he has been doing… And get through a full season without bein a baby!!! He is on the right track.

Just look at Fitz and A-Dub. Perfect example of CARDS FOR LIFE. If he doesn’t shape up then its gonna be that much harder for him..In Whiz I trust!! GO CARDS!!!

23. By Jim in Missouri on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

I love Dockett and want him to get paid and stay with the Cards. But …

I can’t be the only one getting tired of his act when it comes to his contract, can I? He signed a 5-year extension in 2006 and then almost instantly started chirping about getting a new deal.

Does he deserve a new deal, based on his performance? Definitely. But he signed the initial contract, and the team has said they want to get him a new contract, so he needs to shut up about it and do his job and let things happen. Every time somebody in the league gets signed to a new deal or an extension, he tweets like a 5-year-old who didn’t get the toy that one of his friends got.

Darren, I don’t know if the front office and coaching staff pays any attention to his antics, but could his act be wearing thin to the point where they no longer see getting him done as a priority (a la Boldin)? If he’s going to make all this noise, then get a new deal and start complaining about it instantly (like is his history), then screw him.

24. By darrenurban on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Jim in Missouri –

Well, remember, I’m not even sure what he tweeted last night has anything to do with the contract. I am speculating.

That said, Darnell has pretty much said and done all the right things this offseason. If he were to go scorched-earth like Anquan did to start Training Camp 2008, then yes, that could cause problems. But so many guys in this league do stuff like this. An organization has to have a certain amount of thick skin. Are the Titans thinking about dumping Chris Johnson? No. You don’t want to cut your nose to spite your face. And you don’t want to just dump your best defensive lineman because he complains he wants more money once in a while.

25. By Jim in Missouri on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

You’re right, Darren, and it’s definitely the landscape of pro sports right now.

I just saw where somebody got a big extension last week and Dockett’s reaction was something pissy about how it makes you wonder why some teams say it is so hard to get deals done with the uncertainty about the labor situation in 2011. Maybe that’s just Dockett being Dockett, but it’s unnecessary and surely doesn’t help things get moved along in a positive manner.

Like you said, given his actions and participation this offseason, it’s not a problem. I just hope he continues to be such a model employee, given nothing apparently is imminent. I think it would be nice (and probably would help his case, too) if he could shut up about money for a little while.

26. By nor cal cards fan on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren- just a little fyi about the “Norteno 9er4life” post… The “Nortenos” are a notorious violent street gang in California as documented by the California Department of Justice. Just thought i should let u know, and not just because he’s a Niner fan. I highly doubt u want that kind of crap posted on your website. Thank you for the continued great Cards coverage, i’m looking forward to your training camp stories.

27. By darrenurban on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal –

I appreciate the info. Thanks.

28. By cardinalsfan on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

darren,

do you think fitzgerald wants to stay here when his contract is up or will he leave for more money?

29. By Eric on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

He’s clearly referring to SB1070.

30. By darrenurban on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Cardinalsfan –

I think Fitz will sign an extension here.

31. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Darnell….c’mon, man!!! You can’t just leave us hanging like this! We may have to take away your Twitter priveleges ( although I think I’ll leave it to someone else to tell you that in person).

32. By Cardsfan 50 on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

I said it yesterday and will repeat it today. Dock needs to quit public comments on the team and himself as a player. Let his actions convince Rod and Whiz he has learned self-discipline and thus can handle a long-term high-dollar contract.
    And just because a reporter asks a question doesn’t mean he has to answer it, especially in any controversial way. That won’t help him in the long run. He needs to impress Rod and Whiz rather than Kent and Darren, etc.

33. By Patric on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Man, Dockett is one of the coolest and most entertaining players in the game. Even if your not a Cardinal fan, I don’t see how nobody can love this guy’s attitude towards the game. I think the Cardinals FO should definitely consider signing this guy long term he’s been one of the key players to our defense for years. Dockett, Campbell, Porter, Wilson and DRC are going to be tearing it up this year.

34. By Steve on Jul 28, 2010 | Reply

Not one to jump to conclusions but it is strange that he hasn’t posted a tweet since the two mentioned above.

That’s not like nine-0

35. By Thomas77 on Jul 29, 2010 | Reply

…night of speculation…nothing behind it….

36. By CardsDNA on Jul 29, 2010 | Reply

Okay, so nothing from 9-0 for over 24hrs, so this is either BAD news, or the issue with the Sprint Collection guy finally pushed him over the edge.

Please be the sprint guy….please……

37. By Card's Refugee on Jul 29, 2010 | Reply

Uggh. This is killinng me…. Any update D?

38. By darrenurban on Jul 29, 2010 | Reply

Refugee –

Not right now. Haven’t heard anything, although like I said before, I still think Dockett comes to camp. And profootballtalk.com is saying that’s a guarantee: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/with-new-deal-possibly-coming-darnell-dockett-wont-hold-out/

(Of course, the headline “new deal possibly coming,” I mean, that’s hedging the bets. A new deal is coming. But I don’t know how long that will be from now).

39. By Joe on Jul 29, 2010 | Reply

Ill be pissed if he leaves hes my favorite cardinal

2. Jul 27, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com