Dockett heads to camp

Posted by Darren Urban on July 30, 2010 – 2:23 pm

It’s turns out Darnell Dockett is on his way up to camp, which he told XTRA 910 a little bit ago. He had his meeting with the brass this morning about his contract, and said he thinks it will all get worked out. Coming to camp is important, Dockett said, because “It’s about what I mean to my team. I feel if I’m not there, we are taking a step back. I’m just ready to play football. I trust those guys to do a great job and handle the situation and I want to be accountable to my teammates.”

It’s not unexpected that Dockett doesn’t have a new contract right now. And frankly, handling this situation in just this manner is what I expected Dockett to do given how he has carried himself this offseason. It’s all good. Hopefully, it stays that way up until Dockett gets his extension.

(UPDATE: Dockett did admit to Jurecki it was a “hard decision” whether or not to come to camp. He didn’t address it directly, but I think the Twitter stuff was indeed him wondering if he should show up to camp. I was surprised Dockett said he was so conflicted about coming to camp before meeting with Ken Whisenhunt earlier this week and then with Whisenhunt and Graves this morning).

Tags:

18 Responses to “Dockett heads to camp”

1. By B-Rad on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Dear Rod Graves and Mr. Bidwell,
    Pay this man his money or someone else will. It’s pretty simple.

2. By Paul on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you know if DRC is ready to go 100% right at the start, or will the staff take it slow with his knee at first?

3. By Nick C. on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, what happens to the saturday and sunday practices if it rain up in flagstaff this weekend. Will they just move the practices into the skydome. Also how will fans driving up on saturday morning be notified if this happens and will there be any broadcast on 620 for training camp on sat.

Can’t wait for camp and thanks for the info!

4. By brad oneill on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Say the right things do the right things and things will work out. this is a good sign for the cardinals and for Dockett’s future.

5. By MIKEFLORIO on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I WILL SEE YOU U THERE DOCKETT!!

6. By Brandon on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Very good to hear,I wonder what the twitter thing was about then

7. By Nick Pepe on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

He is a team man. A Cardinal. And I love that. Ok, Darren, I was supposed to ask you this morning…..what is your ETA for Big Dan?

8. By vsancards on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m proud of you Dockett for handling this like a professional. I hope no matter what happens to you this season you get your big contract. I hope you have a big year and get what you deserve and if you get injured, I hope the Cards brass will take care of you, but I doubt they will, it is a business after all.

9. By Matt H on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

The question’s a bit off topic, but since there’s a new BRR i was wondering if you had a Cardinals Underground planned soon? Love the blog, keep up the good work!

10. By cardattac on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Man that is awesome!!! Good for him. He really seems to have grown into his own this year. Havin him take part so much this offseason is so important to the team. This will show on the field. I know it. The more he comes around the more excited he gets. I have never heard so much talk about him. Some good and some strange….. But all together nothing bad or negative really. He said if we got Joey he would be here. So we can all thank Q leaving and Joey for coming. If you ask me he is a slightly better influence on Darnell Then Q was.

Anywho…. GO CARDS!!!

11. By p16 on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear. Those twitter messages had me worried for a couple days. Did he ever clarify what it actually was he was going on about?

12. By TBru on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

right on DD, way to play the game. Did we ever get an update on the twitter message?

13. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Paul –

I think DRC is pretty close to 100 percent. The time he missed in OTAs was because of his sore toe, not his knee.

14. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

I can’t speak for KTAR. I will update the site (http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/2010-training-camp.html) if there are any changes.

15. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Nick Pepe –

I’d be surprised if Dan isn’t here by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

16. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Matt H –

We plan on getting an Underground done in the next few days.

17. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

p16 –

I think it was contract-related, actually.

18. By Rugbymuffin on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Dockett is maturing before our eyes.

His decision was EXTREMELY hard, but I am happy (without judgement) he decided to go to camp. I hope he gets rewarded, and I think he will.

Awesome. Go get’em!