OK, kind of a carnival barker

Posted by Darren Urban on July 30, 2010 – 12:27 pm

I mentioned during a radio interview recently that, in regards to Deuce Lutui’s poundage, that I wasn’t a carnival barker — you know, one of those guys who’ll guess your weight at a theme park. I’m terrible at that. But …

I did see Lutui this morning at the complex as I go through some in-house training and Deuce was leaving after taking his physical. I didn’t have a chance to talk to him, but I have to say, despite my limitations, he most certainly does not look anywhere close to the 396 pounds he reportedly weighed back in mid-June. Am I saying he is in that 342-343 range the coaches want him to play at this season? Again, I am not that talented. But it sure looked from across the room he was in a better frame than he was.

We’ll see if there are any specifics that come down later in the day.

Tags:

19 Responses to “OK, kind of a carnival barker”

1. By KG on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

D–

Just out of curiosity, why do the Cards choose to disclose financial terms of some contracts and not of others? Is it their policy to not disclose financial terms of contracts in general? If so, why? Any word on Dan Williams or what the snag is on his deal? Is Tebow’s signing complicating matters or are Williams’ team logical enough to differentiate Tebow’s situation from Dan’s?

2. By K-DUB on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Muscle weighs more than fat, but fat catches you quick when you not working out.

3. By Paul on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I saw Deuce at LTF in Tempe this morning. Better late than never I guess. He does fill up a doorway. But your right Daren, either he carry’ s 400 bills very well or he doesn’t come close that weight. He isn’t a blob at all, he’s just very big. And that look on his face. I can see where he is known to have a nasty streak.

4. By BluePitt on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

hummmmm….Darren can you ask the dude giving the pysical? slip him a 20 spot and tell him to wink when you are close!!! Eyebrows up or down depending on how close!!! hahaha

5. By Will on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

First, thanks for the great coverage. Second, I’m the editor at Cardinalsgab.com and I think it would be great for the readers of that site if you could answer a few general questions regarding the Cardinals, which would be greatly appreciated. If so, could you please contact me at the email provided. Thanks so much. Go Cards!

6. By Sue H on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I saw an interview with him this morning on the news and I thought he looked pretty big. He looks heavy in the face–and yes, I know that he always does, but heavier-than-normal. Granted, I didn’t see him when he first signed his contract, so that’s not to say he hasn’t lost some, but he still looks to have a long way to go.

7. By Nick C. on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, what will happen to the practices on saturday and sunday if there is rain in flagstaff. Will they just move them in the skydome. Also how will fans be notified that are driving up north saturday morning.

Thanks, can’t wait for camp!

8. By nolan on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I cannot stay away the the bird blog and headlines. Without you here to keep us updated, this fan base would not be the same. Your doing a good job so dont change it.
    Also, i know the cards are possibly interested in a veteran cb to help out our secondary but do you know of any names that have come up?

Thanks for the hard work and dedication D

9. By CrazyLady25 on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Duece is one of those guys who eats when something that he sees is wrong. Have a bad day –> eat a lot of food so you will feel better (my husband is the perfect example). But, when he decides to lose it, pounds just shed off.

10. By Phobos on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Lutui must of had a bad case of the munchies this offseason. Lets hope he keeps off the pot during the season….

11. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

KG —

The Cards never release info. If financial terms get out, it’s because it has leaked elsewhere. I wouldn’t worry about Williams. He will sign soon enough.

12. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Will —

E-mail me at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net and we will see if something can be worked out.

13. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

Practice would be moved inside in case of inclement weather. I will update the site if the schedule or venue change.

14. By darrenurban on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

Nolan —

Right now, I think they will see how their current CBs look and perhaps watch the waiver wire at the end of camp.

15. By card62 on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I hope Lutui is ready to go, and if he is what an awesome OL we will have and the competition will be great in the preseason. Our second team line could be better than some teams first string line.

The only question I have is how will Keith do at RT?

Go Cards!!!

16. By Walter on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Darrun,

I missed last years games won by one. The year before I hit it on the head and even had the super Bowl teams.

What do you think of a 13/3 season with more rushing touchdowns than passings, even though Leinart is very good in short yardage and has more than enough recievers when you count in our two premier running backs and the TEs.

17. By darrenurban on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply