Deuce’s outlook and a limping Sheik

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2010 – 1:05 pm

Deuce Lutui came out to talk at lunch. The guard was in a good mood — why wouldn’t he be — although he acknowledged he weighed 360 at his physical. He said he didn’t notice that he actually beat out some other linemen in the conditioning test.

“I wasn’t really looking to the right or left of me,” Lutui said. “All I knew was, in the last stretch, get your ass over the line. It was good to finish strong and knowing I had teammates to welcome me in at the finish line and give me recognition of doing the right things.  … I wasn’t at the weight I wanted to show up but my cholesterol is down, heart rate was nice, so I was cleared.”

Football, after all the talk about him in the offseason, is Lutui’s big goal now. “That’s my mission. Deuce Lutui is here to get with the fellas and knock some heads around. It’s something I have been missing. I feel I have had a Brett Favre offseason and I want to come out and showcase my athleticism.”

As for all the talk about him and his weight this offseason, Lutui said he tried not to pay too close of attention. “I knew within my mind what I was about to do. I am here and that’s all that counts. I am happy to be here with the boys and the coaches and try to get with their good graces. … There are some rumors going around (that I weighed) 396, and I have said before I am the Lindsay Lohan of the offensive line, get bad media coverage. But that’s how it goes.”

He was almost late getting to a meeting, and ended the interview by saying, “I’ve got to run, fellas.” And then Deuce did just that — he ran.

– Postscript, the Cards have an injury in camp already. Defensive lineman Dean Muhtadi, Iron Sheik on the team and the happiest man on the roster, was not so happy after the run test. He was limping with some sort of right leg injury. Coach Ken Whisenhunt talks after practice this afternoon. But it’s a bummer for a guy who is impossible not to root for.

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “Deuce’s outlook and a limping Sheik”

1. By brad oneill on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

keep it up Duece you’ve got a lot to prove after the hold out but i love the attitude! that is a shame about the sheik, A lot of us are rooting for him.

2. By Richard S on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I see 3 WR’s on other teams have already had some sort of injury in training camp. Dallas High Ankle sprain, Minnesota carted off the field, Oakland concussion. Let’s hope there isn’t some kind of injury bug going after wide receivers especially since Q isn’t here anymore.

3. By Deveau on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the update Darren.

Cris

4. By Landon on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren, if Deuce is the lindsay lohan of the lines, then who is darnell dockett? haha.

5. By Tinted Face Shield on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

They need to keep Reggie Wells! What kind of message would that send if you keep Deuce and not Wells.

6. By darrenurban on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

If that happens, it means Deuce (and Bridges and Hadnot) are better than Wells.

7. By Paul on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Don’t know much about the Sheik but I bet like a lot of weight lifters, he worked much more on his upper body. Can’t get anywhere if the legs go out. Gotta have good movement to make the NFL.

8. By Rich on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Like i have tried to say all along Deuce will be fine and will be starting at right guard. the odd man out will probably be Bridges. can’t wait till next weekend when i get to make my trip to camp. Darren are they going to post how the guys did on the conditioning test as far as times.

9. By darrenurban on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

No. What you have seen is what you get. It’s a “pass/fail” test.

10. By CrazyLady25 on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

No, Deuce is competing with Reggie Wells at RG. Bridges is a veteran who can play any position except Center.

11. By cardattac on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey Paul….

Lets remember dude that injuries happen. Any athlete can pull/twist something at anytime. Lets find out what happened first. As far as I knew last he was workin out with Darnell and others. Not to mention coach John Lott. I’m sure it had nothing to do with his workouts. He has been in the NFL before but never made a team.

Dont know what that means…. But when I heard he was making an impression on players and coaches with his work ethic and a great attitude. That Mr. Lott teamed him with Darnell to workout with and he was pushin D. That tells me from lookin at Darnell that this guy knows how to take care of himself. I’ll bet he is back on field soon.

He is a tough cookie!!!

C’mon Sheik!!! lets go Buddy!!!

12. By beauchamp on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

wells played solid at rt when brown went down w/ injury his rookie season and can play center in a pinch. Having played all positions i hope we keep him rather than bridges.

13. By card62 on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Competition is always good so our line will be the best it has been in years this year. I am very excited about our run game this year and I think our pass game because of our run game will be great. Unless someone offers us something good in a trade I think we keep 9 linemen and Ben Claxton will get cut. WIth no injuries to our line I still predict that Lyle S. goes to the bench after the first few games and Wells and Lutui are both starting with Fanaca, Brown, and Keith. Go Cards and Duece make us proud.

Keith is the only lineman I have questions about so will be interesting to see how he does in the first couple of preseason games.