A morning inside

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2010 – 12:31 pm

The Cards were in the Skydome again today for the morning part of the first two-a-day day of camp. Nothing huge of note. WR Steve Breaston took fewer reps to nurse a sore groin, but coach Ken Whisenhunt he is not concerned. And rookie tight end Jim Dray sat out with a bad quadricep. Wide receiver Andre Roberts had a couple of drops (more on that later today) and quarterback Derek Anderson had the play of the morning when his pass to Roberts went off the receiver, then a defender, when Anderson grabbed the ball for an Anderson-to-Anderson completion (Picture below).

– Quarteback Matt Leinart on Breaston: “He’s one of those players you love having on your team. He’s … just Steve.”

– Leinart said he’d like to get a little more work in preseason games than maybe a starter normally would. “I know you want to see a lot of guys get work but I think I fit in that mold.” Whisenhunt said he hasn’t made any decision on that, noting Anderson needs to get some reps with the starters too, just because both quarterbacks need to be ready. “Let’s be clear,” Whisenhunt said. “My expectation is Matt is the guy.”

– Whisenhunt said he didn’t have a problem when Darnell Dockett called out Kerry Rhodes on Twitter this summer about making sure Rhodes was working and not lounging around. Whiz said Dockett didn’t cross the line. Told Rhodes would rather have not had it out to the public, Whiz cracked, “There are a lot of things I wish people would keep off the internet.”

– RB Beanie Wells has gotten much better in pass protection, Whisenhunt said, although Tim Hightower sets a high bar for pass blocking. Asked about Beanie’s pass catching, Whiz said that “has always been an underrated part of his game.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “A morning inside”

1. By Dan on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do u think Daryl Washington will be any good? I could be wrong but he looks about average to me. Hopefully I’m wrong.

2. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

I think he looks awful fast and I think I see why the coaches like him. It may take him a little time, but I think he’s got a chance to be pretty good.

3. By kingdiamond on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Dan~

I appreciated the video about Mr. B’s birthday. I also appreciated the respect the coaches (Whiz/Lott) and some of the players showed to him. Maybe it was just the how the video was cut, but it seemed like the newer players-Rhodes and Porter showed him tons more respect than the older tenured players-a great sign. However, Larry Fitzgerald and Dominque Byrd also showed much deference too. This is so different from the days at Lindenwood College in St. Louis when the players would not smile or say hello to the owner at training camp.

4. By MikeG on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren,-I Enjoy your work!! How does Rashad Johnson
    look to you so far in camp?? Hopefully he will have more of an impact in his 2nd year & get some significant playing time??

5. By John on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Any word yet on Williams officially signing and showing up for practice or meetings??

6. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

Rashad looked good yesterday. He needs to have a lot more days like that.

7. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

John –

I am offended you’d think that would have happened and I wouldn’t have reported on it.

8. By Nick Pepe on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

The whole perception of the franchise has changed, including that of upper management.This will be my 40th season as Cards fan and I can recall the mocking the team and the ownership got week after week after week. They should be commended for trying to produce a winner. They put a product out there now that is respected both on and off the field. All should be proud, from top to bottom.
    I know I appreciate it.
    As for Big Dan, he’ll be in tomorrow. Darren said (guessed) Tuesday and he never lies!
    Thanks Cards!
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime member!!!!

9. By Brandyn on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

are there going to be any autograph sessions this training camp other than the one on this upcoming Saturday?

10. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Does Jim Dray have a chance on making the team with already Patrick, Becht, Spach and Byrd already around. If not, was that a waste of a draft pick? I know it was 7th round, but still maybe they could have gotten a different position.

11. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Brandyn –

You can get some autographs after every practice from players who chose to sign.

12. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

They wouldn’t have taken him if they didn’t like him.

13. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

How good is Trumaine McBride? Can you compare him to anyone? Is he better or worse than guys like McFadden, Hood, Green, Brown, Tate? I keep hearing that he played in all these games with the Bears, but at the same time Green played in a lot of games for the Cards, and well……

Also, does Marshay Green have a chance? The AZ republic sure seems like they like him.

Can you think of a more weird situation than JJ Arrington’s with the Broncos from the time he left here until he got traded? He was on the team, then not, then back on, then not, something about surgeries, something about him being hurt, contract stuff, insurance stuff, he sits out a season, he is making a comeback, he is back again, he gets traded and 2 days later they have no one and they all get hurt… Really awkward turns in that whole deal.

14. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

I don’t know McBride enough. McFadden struggled a lot. I always kind of liked Hood if you understood his limitations. Green has a chance to make the team. I don’t know if he actually would play a lot, but yes, the Cards have some hopes.

Agree on J.J. He’s had an interesting time since leaving here.

2. Aug 2, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com
  3. Aug 13, 2010: 2010 NFL Preview: Arizona Cardinals « Trueball
  4. Aug 16, 2010: Is Beanie Wells A Top 25 Player?