• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Dockett, Levi lead an afternoon of scraps

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2010 – 6:16 pm

It was the first fully padded practice this afternoon, and it was a doozy.

It started early on, when Larry Fitzgerald and Joey Porter took a turn battling each other on punt coverage on the outside, and a Fitz blow left Porter with a bloody lip (more on that in a later blog). But that was just a taste of the 11-on-11 battles to come.

The donnybrook came first. Darnell Dockett — he’s always in these things, right? — blew up Alan Faneca and both tumbled to the ground right in front of quarterback Matt Leinart. Leinart was moving away, when Dockett swiped at his ankle and tripped him. A no-no, and Leinart wasn’t happy. When he and Dockett stood up, Leinart went up to Darnell and spiked the ball at Dockett’s feet in irritation. Then suddenly, tackle Levi Brown was there, punching Dockett in the shoulder pads sticking up for his quarterback, and the scrum was on.

The next play, tight end Stephen Spach and linebacker Cody Brown mixed it up, with Spach grabbing Brown’s facemask. It didn’t get overly heated until linebacker Joey Porter saw it happen. “Don’t let ‘em grab your (expletive) facemask,” Porter screamed at Brown. A little while later, it was the third unit’s turn, when linebacker Mark Washington and offensive lineman Tom Pestock went at it, exchanging punches.

And when it was over, it was over.

“That’s what teams do,” Dockett said. “You compete, and don’t take nothing from nobody. I like it. I like the intensity, but I love at the end we come together as a family.”

Said Porter, “When you have a good team, you can fight all you want to, but when you go in the locker room, we are all one family. We’re just trying to make each other better. Fights are going to happen. As long as you can control them, it doesn’t matter.”

(Yes, we have video, and it’ll be up later tonight. The picture below of Dockett and Levi is from a video still. UPDATE: Here is the video).

Dockett admitted he was “kind of dumb” for taking out Leinart’s foot. “I shouldn’t have done that,” Dockett said. “But when you get caught in the battle, the engine turns on and you don’t think about it. I’m not trying to hurt him but I am trying to go 100 percent every time I put my hand on the ground. If I am doing that, I am making my team better.”

Coach Ken Whisenhunt called it “typical” of training camp, but he said it was nice to see the players going hard.

“Emotions were running high,” Whisenhunt said. “When you get the crowd out here, things get revved up. You see that manifest itself in the chippiness.”

Dockett said he was proud of Levi Brown stepping in, saying it was what he expects.

“I patted him on the back and at the end of the day, that’s my family,” Dockett said. “It means something that he is doing it to me, but he better do it to another person if it is somebody else. As long as he does that, I’m happy.”

Porter said he barked at Cody Brown because a player can’t let an opponent get away with things. “You don’t have to accept that, even from a teammate,” Porter said. “My message was, don’t let that happen, especially in front of me.”

Whisenhunt thinks the Cardinals can be smart with the intense practices. Dockett thinks it’s the only way the Cardinals can get another NFC West crown.

“That’s what it’s all about. As much as you love your teammates, when you put the pads on, you have to try and kill them,” Dockett said. “That’s what it is all about. That’s the only way you can get better. You can’t come out and play 80 percent and expect to win a third divisional title. It ain’t going to happen. We have to treat (the offense) like they are the 49ers and they have to treat (the defense) like we’re the 49ers.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

68 Responses to “Dockett, Levi lead an afternoon of scraps”

1. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Geez this is the best piece of news out of camp. DANG I love Docket and Porter. Fitz too. Kick some a_ _.Tha’ts how you win Championships. Ye ha baby!!!!!

2. By marblekyle on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

love it! ! ! bring on the 9ers!

3. By nrdpmp on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I am also happy to read this. Looking forward to seeing this intensity in person. Going up tomorrow for the afternoon practice, and the Wednesday morning practice.

4. By casey wolfe on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

thats badass…we need intensity get pissed off defend each other….treat every single team like its the 49ers GO CARDINALS!!!

5. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Lot of heart baby!! Gotta love seeing that in a team!!!

6. By Bryan on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Damn I love 24/7 news and updates!
    How did we get by 10 years ago!?!lol
    CORE!

7. By Walter L on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I love the expectations the guys are putting on eachother. INTENSE!

Darren-You should send the footage of the fights to HBO’s Hard Knocks, show them what real hard knocks and an intense training camp look like. lol

8. By Card's Refugee on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Is it true that a bunch of people in the crowd started chanting for Anderson, after a Matt pick? If so, I wish practices were closed to the public. Seriously like he isn’t under enough pressure.

9. By cardattac on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Man I love to hear that everyone is taking this so serious. Our team benefits so much from Darnell and Porter’s attitude on D. I love how there are strongly keeping everyone accountable. Matt got in Darnell’s grill and Levi steps in Fitz and gives Porter a fat lip???

I know it was all good sport. The NFL has no idea what is goin on up in the pine trees of Flag. They all think we are sitting around on our collective thumbs or something. Losing a couple guys wont stop us. In fact it look like our guys want this more then ever.

I love all the new stuff to read, watch and listen too Darren. Thanks mang:)

10. By Tyrelle on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

LOL Ugggh oh. They are being bad.

11. By LUKE on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

FOOTBALL IS HERE!!!!FINALLY!!!

12. By brad oneill on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

i saw some stuff from the 9ers talking about how they weren’t playing videogames and i think it was a response to Dockett’s tweets about gaming. i think the 9ers game this year is going to be great. I can’t wait,
    It was nice of the media to crown the 49ers nfc champs this year, It will make it that much better when we knock the crown off their haven’t been to the playoffs since the 1990′s heads.

13. By Shtiggy on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Love the attitude Porter. Let Cody know that he shouldn’t take ish from anybody. I hope this D is much more fierce than last year and puts a lot of pressure on the QB now.

90-92-93

That’s the combination to the opposing QB’s hurt locker.

Let’s do this!!!!

14. By will on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

darren,

is it normal for ftiz and porter to run special teams drills. they will never get in game reps or is it just for fun.

15. By brad oneill on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I know we have more quarterbacks than we know what to do with at the moment but Colt Brennan just got cut from Washington? That guy was amazing in college and had a fantastic preseason last year. i wonder if his injury didnt heal right or if it is a character thing?

16. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Refugee –

I didn’t hear that.

17. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Cardattac –

To be fair, the Porter lip from Fitz was an accident.

18. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Will –

Just for fun.

19. By Brandon on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love throwing punches when the helmets are on

20. By CMacyn on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Not what I expected to see, but I love it. This is the best start to camp we could have hoped for. Great reporting D. GO CARDINALS!!!

21. By Jcaswellsr on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

D,
    Please remind these guys not to punch in the head. They got helmets on the last thing we need is someone out cause of a broken hand.

22. By georgiebird on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I hope this group has some self control or else it will be stupid penalty after stupid penalty. The refs pick up on this right away.

23. By Tumbleweed on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

If you think that is football you are wrong. Singletary would have sent them to the locker room. The Niners don’t allow any fighting and it has the best players on and off the field that they have had in years. He wants hardnosed hard hitting players not players that want to fight everytime someone hits them. The Niners will prove it twice again this year!

24. By tom on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Alan branch got smacked in the head a couple of time anyone know who hit him?

25. By Jesse Robles on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I am so pumped!! Happy Birthday me, I hate the Niners.

26. By Shtiggy on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

“We gotta treat them like they the 49ers and they gotta treat us like we the 49ers” – Darnell Dockett

That about sums up the scraps today. Nice. Love it. These scraps are normal since these guys have been itching to hit someone for months now.

Let’s do this.

27. By Rugbymuffin on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Nice.

“Just sorting things out I see, nothing to see.”

Sweetness. Good to see these guys getting after it.

28. By brad oneill on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

tumbleweed- yes the 49ers are a truly classy organization led by a classy coach. well except for that incident where singletary left it all hanging out in the locker room.

29. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Tumbleweed, you are correct in saying Singletary doesn’t want fights during training camp. Other than Vernon Davis, Mike’s favorite player, SF has been fairly tame during the exhibition season. (Can’t wait for the SF-Card Monday Nighter to see how well Dockett and Wilson perceive Davis’s toughness.)
    Also, nice to see that Singletary has toned down the “nutcracker” drill this preseason limiting it to 3 SECONDS of hitting.
    Mike may not have to wear a belt this season, after all.(He may want to pack extra shorts, though.)

30. By mike b on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

It seems that Spach and Baggs went at it a couple of times.
    Darren, will the cut the next player after next practice or before?
    I know you don’t know for sure but if u had to guess.

31. By PipaPiko on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Yea you better treat them like its the 49ers cause they woop’d ya’ll twice last year. And I hear the niners are looking really good. Wow! Faneca don’t get smash’d again like that!

32. By Slim on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Remember seeing some of this last year at a few late-camp practices and I absolutely love it. This shows everyone of the team where the leaders are, and they’re leading by example. Tough love, going 100% even in camp, family mentality, little bit of nastiness. Love to see this so soon in the year.

33. By Tyrelle on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

If they were so classy they would be better then they are. Singletary has downed the Cardinals the minute Kurt retired I bet so don’t make it seem as if he is so innocent. This is the official site of the Arizona Cardinals..

34. By SierraVistaNick on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

LOVE IT! Just wait till it is the actual niners on monday night! Got some great seats to watch the war!

GET’EM DOCKETT!

35. By Jake on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Go Pittsburgh West!

36. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Mike B –

I am sure someone has already been released. I just don’t know who yet.

37. By cardattac on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Tumbleweed-

Thats why we are gonna walk all over you guys…

This is the AZ CARDS.com web site…. Did you get lost dude??? Dont be sad your team has sucked for the last decade. You should probably worry about beating some other teams this year…. Cuz the two you lose to the CARDS this year you’ll have to make up somewhere…

I know our team is starting to scare you and there is probably no one that talks back to you on your 9ers web page. But this is the HOUSE of CARDS dude and you wont shake it down!!!

The CARDS are more hungry the the 9ers… It shows in the way they get on each other. Its ok that Singletary doesn’t let his players have there own personality. Maybe that works for him. But the way Ken is letting our vets take over a practice (with attitude and let it play out) then they are all huggin at the end of practice. Its a band of brothers man… Not sisters!!! I’m sure they can handle a scrap here and there without bein put in timeout…. Dont you????

It seems like our guys are tryin to make practice as close to a real game as possible. Dont be jealous Tumbleweed…. Just blow on home now… HAHAHA

38. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Wow. I love the pathetic Cards fans calling for a Niners thumping. A little, how shall i put this, pathetic? WE HAVE 5 RINGS. WE HAVE NEVER LOST A SUPER BOWL. We took a little break, you punks could not handle the Super Bowl, and now you are on the downslide. 9-7 and missing the playoffs would be a great year for you guys. All i can say about that mess of an outfit is that Larry Fitzgerald is friggin awesome, he plays like a Niner. And i think your coach rules too. But the rest of that act is weak. Ronnie Lott would have torn somebody’s head off if they were childish enough to kick at Montana’s legs. Have fun Zona.

39. By card62 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

49ers were great key words were great.
    5 Rings congratulations but they get you zero wins in 2010 and Bill Walsh is
    not coming through that door nor is Joe Montana, nor is Steve Young.
    Ronnie Lott is coming thru that door wearing Cardinal red and the number 24. Jerry Rice is coming thur that door wearing Cardinal red and the number 11.

It is on this year 49ers and I love our energy and nastiness so early in camp. I said in an earlier note that our O line and D line are the best I can remember so camp will be very exciting and the men have delivered early. Can not wait to watch our first preseason game to see our lines perform. Sometimes I have a problem with Levi Brown’s pass protection but this man is a beast run blocking, the best we have and I can not wait to watch him and Fanaca open holes this year for Beanie and TIm. Go Cardinals come on September!

40. By brad oneill on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Dave- its nice to live in the past isn’t it. you can curl up with with your video tapes and watch the good old days of 9er glory that ended with a clean hit from Aeneas Williams on the vulnerable Mr. Young.. Your team may be the darling of the pundits and they did beat us twice last year. but the reality is the 9ers came apart when it counted and the cardinals went on to beat one of the best teams in the nfl in the playoffs. before losing to the eventual super bowl champs coming off a bye against our short week after an overtime victory in one of the highest scoring playoff games ever.

41. By BIG RED HONKEY on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Ya I love how these 9ers fans get on hear and call us punks… “We have 5 rings, blah blah blah”… Yup your right, you have 5 rings that were won right about the time you became 9ers fans, oh wait you have always been 9ers fans havent you?? LMFAO.

And let me guess, you are also LA Lakers fans, USC Trojan fans, LA Dodgers fans… Pretty much any team that has a title right?? I wonder why 9ers fans are not also Golden State Warriors fans or Oakland A’s fans?? BANDWAGON JUMPING SONS OF SO AND SO’S..lol

We may be punks, but we will rest better knowing that we aren’t bandwagon jumpers..

So long for now COWBOYS FANS, oops I mean 9ers fans!!!

42. By Thomas77 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I love the intensity and hope it carries over to the season, but I hope the attitude stays here in camp. Penalties can be very costly.

So Darren,

Any word on the “Dockett Tweet Affair” last week? Seems like everyone dropped it, cause I don’t recall an explanation for it ever coming out.

43. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

I am 90 percent sure it was about him staying home from camp. He said on the radio in the middle of the week he was still considering all week last week not showing up because of his contract.

44. By Thomas77 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Oh, I must have missed that…

But let me ask you this, being that you’re an “insider”. When has a player holding out of practice or camp, to protest their current contract, ever really gotten that player a new one? Before this week, anytime Whiz or Graves were asked about a new contract for Dockett, they would give a sorta open ended answer like “we’re looking into it” or “it’s on the table” or something along those lines. But when Whiz was asked this week if they were planning on getting Dockett a new contract this year, he gave an emphatic “yes”. Seems to me that had something to do with Dockett actually showing up rather than holding out….

45. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

Probably. I am sure it was relayed to Darnell that all the goodwill he has built up this offseason by showing up and working so hard would have been torpedoed by not showing.

46. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

oh brad oneill with the aenas williams hit reminder. thats just uncool bro. uncool.

47. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Big Red Honkey, your post is as lame as your moniker. I have been a Niners fan since roughly 20 years before your podunk little town even had a football team. Same with Warriors. Same with Giants. Some little hick like you telling me about being a fan? Stay in the backwaters son. You know not what you speak of.

48. By Chris Mosie on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Dave, you need to get your facts straight before you spout off at the mouth! It’s true that the Niners haven’t been to the playoffs in the last few years, as it was 2002 when they were there last not the 1990’s. And that started a long, long season of turmoil for the franchise. Every year since then the 49ers have had either different head coaches, QB’s, offensive coordinators or a combination of, and that showed in team performance = not good.

I fear the Cardinals are just starting their years of turmoil… And just like last year, they will get beat up by the Niners two more times this year! It is unfortunate that AZ does not have 5 rings like their north bay rivals, or even 1 super bowl ring to nurse their up coming wounds through out the instability that this year will provide for them… and their die hard fans.

My condolences AZ.

49. By Curtis on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

What is Faneca doing on his backside? I know 9-0 is a beast but Faneca should at least stay upright. I am encouraged at the atitude of Levi for standing up to a probowler and self-proclaimed leader of the team. Keep protecting the QB Levi.

50. By BIG RED HONKEY on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Dave…. Ya good call, I’m a little hick from a podunk town called Phoenix, AZ… and good post from you too old man.. Backwaters huh? That’s a good one…. NOT. Shut your mouth old man, before a little punk ass hick from AZ shuts it for you.. you wouldn’t be the first 9ers fan that I have given a dirt nap to, and you won’t be the last pops!!

51. By Dylan on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Bahaha i think its fine the 9ers fans are so worried about the cardinals they have to come on our site to make sure nothing great is happening like this post and when they see it they freak out and tell us how bad the cards are get lifes people

52. By BIG RED HONKEY on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

oh and Davie… I’m not too sure that the warriors were in CA 20 years before our podunk town had the suns… You might wanna check around first before you start runnin your mouth, o wise one… lol

53. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Uh, Chris Mosie, not sure what facts i got wrong. I said they took a little break, after dominating the west for over 20 years and winning 5 RINGS. I guess it comes down to what constitures “a little break” – and I guess maybe you are right, although lets not talk facts when it comes to the Niners. You will lose that discussion, just like theCards lost twice to us last year.

But you are correct It has been too long of a break since we have not sucked. Ever since Eddie D left we have been horrific. Point taken. However, I am still smarting from the dude earlier on this blog who reminded of the aenas williams kill shot on Steve Young. That made me puke violently all over the floor in my office.

I will say this – I do love Arizona’s voters and Governor and the Sheriff Arpaio. I am an a huge minority in this town – but AZ need to continue to stand up to the White House and defend their state and our borders. I am definitely planning on vacationing in Arizona to offset all of those calling for boycotts!

54. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Oh big red honkey, threatening violence. really classy. and really intimidating.

pretty typical from hicks from podunk backwaters.

oh, and what i wrote earlier was that i was a niners fan 20 years before there were arizona cardinals, didnt say anything about phoenix suns. but by the way, the WARRIORS have a RING! The Suns, um, not so much.

Although, as i type this, let me just pre-empt you and say yes, i know, the DBACKs do have a ring and the Giants are running a Cubs-like dry spell. I wear that one with shame.

Party on Honkey, you podunk town hick you! meet you at the Applebee’s for happy hour!

55. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

All –

I will let some back and forth go on. We are moving into territory I don’t like. Clean it up — both sides. Or don’t be surprised when your comment never gets published.

56. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

i aint the one calling for dirt naps for anyone, but point taken

57. By BIG RED HONKEY on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey its all in good fun.. I wasn’t really gonna give him a dirt nap, lol…

Look, I love this rivalry between the squads and the fans, and yes Dave I would have a beer with you at applebees, no prob…

The only reason I even chimed in at all is for calling the fans punks, but I see your point, my sarcasm may have went a little too far… I’m really not even mad, I’ve been laughing at this the whole time.

My apologies Darren

58. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Big Red, Dave –

See how we can all get along … :)

59. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

oh, and just for the record since i have been a sarcastic jerk here talking about football, the part about having a ton of respect for the voters of arizona, and the governor and sherriff apraio was sincere – just didnt want everyone to think i was being insincere about that point because i find it much more important than any football matters.

60. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I love the Dockett’s intensity, too, but he needs to save that swiping stuff for the opponents! C’mon, now…there is NO place for that against YOUR OWN QB on the 2ND DAY of camp!!! Yeah, no one got hurt but how many more times can you see that kind of crap before someone DOES get hurt? We love ya, 9-0, but save it for the opponents. You don’t need to prove anything to us or your teammates.
    And to Matt Leinart – GOOD FOR YOU, MAN!!! Stand up for yourself and don’t take that crap from anyone! If I was glad to see anything from this, it was our QB showing some anger and then doing exactly what the QB should do – walk away and let your O-line take care of it.

61. By chem dawg on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

thats right 9-0……make us better….just dont kill our own squad !! i know revenge boils in his blood just like it does in mine about the 9ers. i think the west will come down to the season finally against san fran. and if we want to own the west once again….the niners must go DOWN !!!!! LETS GO CARDINALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

62. By Ryan on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Link to good article. This is why Dockett should get a new contract.

2. Aug 3, 2010: Deadspin: X-Games Flasher, Large Photo Make For R-Rated Where’s Waldo [Wake Up Deadspin] | developing-news.com Latest hot breaking news
  3. Aug 3, 2010: Sports Review
  4. Aug 3, 2010: Sports Review
  5. Aug 3, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com
  6. Aug 3, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog
  7. Aug 4, 2010: fodeep.com » Blog Archive » It’ Fight’n Words. Cardinals Training Camp 2010.