• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Roberts’ hard lessons

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2010 – 1:52 pm

An early play that caught the attention this morning started on a ball that ricocheted off the hands of rookie receiver Andre Roberts. Eventually the pass was completed to Derek Anderson (and thrown by Derek Anderson) but it was a tough session for Roberts — tough enough that Larry Fitzgerald gave him a pep talk afterward.

“Especially after this practice and dropping those balls, he just said to keep my head in it and take it one day at a time,” Roberts said. “He said, ‘They’re paying you now to catch the ball.’ So I have to make that extra effort.”

Roberts, the Cards’ third-round pick, is in the mix to be the punt returner and given his draft status, is a virtual lock to make the roster. Rookie wideouts often have a slower time adjusting to the game, simply because they are thinking about routes and adjustments and the playbook, and that’s even before they try to catch the ball.

“With the playbook and plays, I think I am doing pretty good, pretty consistent and not making many mental errors,” Roberts said. “But I am inconsistent catching the ball right now. … I think I have pretty good hands. I just think it is a loss of concentration. I have to get better.”

Coach Ken Whisenhunt noted all the things that can distract a receiver from a catch. “You can see why that happens,” Whisenhunt said. “It’s a progression with young receivers. I think he also understands the expectations that are on him because of the high standards that group sets. As long as (the drops) don’t become a pattern, it’s something that doesn’t concern me.”

Practice-squad holdover Onrea Jones came out of offseason work as the leader to nab the No. 4 receiver spot. Roberts will have a chance to get there. Even Fitzgerald is confident.

“Today wasn’t a tough day,” Fitzgerald insisted. “He made some plays. He’s a rookie. There will be days where he is up and down. But I think he will have a lot more better days than he’ll have worse days.”

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Roberts’ hard lessons”

1. By Chris on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Fantastic insight, keep up the good work.

2. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

THanks for the WAshington Article :) yay! hahaha. bugged you about that for a while now. hahaha.

3. By brad oneill on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

286 catches in college means Robert’s hands are just fine. No worries about this kid, he will be just fine. Once you get to the point where your feet know where you are going automatically your hands will be ready.

4. By Michael on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

According to Adam Schefter on his twitter account, Dan Williams has already agreed to a deal. Is this true?

5. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Michael –

The deal is not done.

6. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

How is Roberts compared to Doucet, when Doucet started out?

7. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

Probably about the same.

8. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I can’t remember when Boldin first started out in training camp and the preseason, I know Bryant Johnson was around then so a lot of the focus was put on him then, but…. Could people tell right away or in training camp or in the preseason what a good player Boldin was going to be? Or was it after that first regular season game? I know he blew up after that game vs the Lions, I think, but did the media and coaches know that game was coming?

9. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

The coaches thought they had something special with Q. They actually played him less than normal in the preseason to “hide” him from the league. I actually wrote a story about Q a day or two before thje Lions game talking to Q about just that, whether he knew the coaches had done that because they had such high hopes. One of the few times I came out looking pretty good after the 10-217-2 he put up.

10. By Don Johnson on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Andre,

Three things got you drafted–your “huge heart”– your “field vision”–and your “great hands”. From the fields of Polo Road, Harry Parone Stadium, and Johnson Stadium at the Citadel, to the stadiums of the NFL, your “great hands” will deliver. Hang in there “Electric Socks”. Me, Matthew and Michael know you can do it.

11. By WhyTheCardinals on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Andre,
    Relax, dog. You have been through hell week, knob year, and 4 years of The Citadel…. don’t be phased by this….. You are a beast…. Go talk with Nehemiah and understand your Gift! Relax, little Dog! GOD has given you many great talents…. You have walked the walk and traveled, so far….. Rise up. Little Dog, and go sink your teeth into the world!
    F-troop, class of 1988!
    (PS: I was at your graduation to witness the honorary docotorate being bestowed on one of my classmates: Marc Bouniconti)

You know stress…… this “ain;t crap”

12. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

WhyThe –

For the record, Roberts looked better today.