An afternoon in the sun

Posted by Darren Urban on August 3, 2010 – 5:45 pm

So that’s what it’s like to have a practice outside.

There were a few drops early on but never anything to worry about, and generally the weather was great for Tuesday’s practice. With that as your mental background, some kibbles and bits about today:

– Apparently, it was veterans’ day. Tight end Anthony Becht, defensive lineman Bryan Robinson and linebacker Joey Porter all took the day off, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because of injury (Coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t speak after practice so we weren’t able to ask about Tuesday’s new injuries, which included the walking boot on the left foot of cornerback Rashad Barksdale and whatever is wrong with linebacker Reggie Walker. Still out are tight end Jim Dray (quad), saftey Hamza Abdullah (hamstring), linebacker Gerald Hayes (back) and linebacker O’Brien Schofield (knee).

– Hayes was into it. At one point during running battles that included everyone but cornerbacks and wide receivers, the offense cracked some gains on a couple of plays. Hayes, watching intently along with Porter, screamed some not-safe-for-work words to his defensive mates, imploring them to crack down.

– Wide receiver Andre Roberts looked much better catching the ball today after yesterday’s struggles.

– Rookie Dan Williams’ first practice was about what you’d expect. He looked fine, but was definitely out of breath. It’s tough practicing in full pads for the first time since college at 7,000 feet.

– I have been impressed with RT Brandon Keith. I haven’t watched him every play, but I have yet to see him get beat and he just looks so solid. Darnell Dockett has been ripping things up, but on one pass rush during 11-on-11, Keith shut Dockett down.

– Finally, we had some fists-of-fury spillover from yesterday, featuring WR Larry Fitzgerald and CB Michael Adams. I’m not sure exactly what went down on the pass to Fitz that eventually fell incomplete, but someone was unhappy, and Fitzgerald lowered the boom on Adams with a big head slap that knocked Adams’ helmet off. The two suddenly squared off, with both daring the other to fight and Adams actually raising his fists in front of him like a boxer. Adams was quickly pulled away by teammates, and later, the two were made to hug it out.

“It was just a normal Fitz-and-Mike day,” Adams said afterward. “If Mike gets the better of Fitz … you can take it back to my rookie year, me and Fitz. We get into scuffles all the time. I get a little bit emotional at times. I guess it is that short man’s syndrome in me.”

Then Adams joked about Monday’s scraps, noting “I told Fitz yesterday I was going to start a fight today because everyone else was. I figure I’d try one.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “An afternoon in the sun”

1. By Paul on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Too bad about Ali, but you could see him being bounced around like a pinball when he played last year. I think that’s why Monty was brought in late in the season.

2. By andy on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Now, we just need to get LaRod Stephens-Howling and Calais Campbell to square-off.

I am very impressed with the intensity of this year’s training camp.

3. By Bob on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Do you know if they are doing the autograph session before the Red and White on Saturday?
    Thanks!

4. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Bob –

It’ll be before. Gates open at 7:30 a.m., autographs at 8:45 for kids 12 and under.

5. By brandon on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    hey is it possible to get a longer highlight video of the Red and white practice for people like me that live in other states. i love getting to watch highlights of the practices which are good just seems like the Red and White practice is a little bigger. i dono if this is even your department but just thought i would ask.

6. By Thomas77 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren, were you guy’s able to get a clip of the Fitz/Adams scrap?

7. By MikeG on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren–Nice Blog!
    I really think Dockett will have an outstanding year
    especially playing with Porter–I think they are
    going to feed off of one another and bring a mentality
    that Whiz is looking for on the D-side of the ball.
    Dockett is maturing into a top-flight lineman!!!!
    Plus he is playing for that contract!!!

8. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

We will do what we can. We are limited to putting up straight practice video. Don’t think Coach would like that.

9. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

Sorry, but no.

10. By brandon on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

haha true true didn’t look at it at that angle… thank you anyway… btw great articles.

11. By Alex on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

why is it that the “veterans” get to skip the run test AND skip only the 4th day of training camp? shouldn’t they be making sure these guys can hang? not letting them chill out?

with that being said, how are the tight ends looking? prediction on the final couple of guys? how is Spach looking?

thanks darren

12. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

Spach is looking very chippy. He definitely likes to stir the pot.

13. By brandon on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Quick Q…. watched the flight for 53 Darren Mougey looking? didn’t here anything about him on the last video about all the WRs

14. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

He’s fighting. He looks fine, but he has trouble finding reps. Lots of receivers.

15. By Chris B on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Alex,
    Spach picked at least two, if not three fights on Monday. He just doesn’t know when to quit.

16. By Bryan on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Mighty Mike!!!…gotta love his emotion.

17. By Kent on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, keep up the good work.

Maybe you could replace The Sheik on the fight for 53 with Max Hall who from all I have heard has been turning some heads around camp, and has been actually getting a lot of attention from Whis himself.

Even some video to see how he looks would be cool.

18. By Joe-B on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been hearing a lot about Stephen Williams lately, and he looked pretty good when I was at the practice on Sunday. What is the chance that he could make the roster? I think he could wind up being on there behind Roberts and OJ.

19. By MIKEFLORIO on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

WHAT???? KIDS 12 and under thats it!!!!!!!! What about me and the rest of the overgrown men. who at training camp seem to be hugging the front of the rails to get an autograph from men in their early 20′s all save for porter and the other dinosaurs. PLEASE IF UR A GROWN MAN SHOW SOME SELF RESPECT LET THE KIDS GET IN FRONT OF THE RAILS JEEZZ.

20. By jw on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Do you have any insight on Fitz and how he looked hurt, was down for 30 seconds and checked out by the trainer. He had his jersey off and was on one knee. He went back in, and then looked hurt again and checked by the trainer again.

He kept playing, but we were hoping he would just call it a day. He does not need to practice. I know that’s how he is, but yikes!

21. By Aaron on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren, along those same lines do you guys have anything planned for offering the videos through a mobile-friendly link? You guys already do a lot but whenever you may get to it, I’m sure lots of us iPhone users would appreciate it!

22. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Didn’t Spach look “chippy” last training camp? I thought I remembered Stephen getting in a spat last year’s Red/White scrimmage.
    Even if the Cards go towards a running mentality, I see it hard for Spach to beat out Becht and Patrick, especially if they keep Byrd as an HBack.
    Maybe that’s why he’s aggravated.

23. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Joe B –

I’m not sure they keep six receivers.

24. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

jw –

I am sure Fitz is fine. They won’t be stupid.

25. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Aaron –

We’re just getting ready to launch a mobile site in the first place. If you can’t run flash, it may be a while before we can get to that.

26. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

He did. He made Adrian mad when he spiked the ball after scoring a touchdown.

27. By paydaman90 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Holy crap I am so ready for this season!

28. By chipper on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren,

random question but i know that we are allowed to wear our black unis 3 times. 1 preseason and 2 regular season games. there have been people speculating that we will wear them for the SF monday night game and the dalls xmas game. but will we not know for sure until the day of the game? how bout for preseason, do we know which one it will be?

29. By Starjock on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, thanks for the great reports from Camp – keep up the good work.
    John Skelton is looking good in practice, as is Early Doucet.and Darren Mougey.

30. By ed on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

I love your site and your comments and observations are always appreciated. I do have a general comment and questio for you, Every time I Look at the site and see Names in the tags section like Antrel Roole, Anquan Bolden, Chike Okeafor, Bertrand Berry,Karlos Dansby,Kurk Warner, etc etc.etc…..it evokes some mixed emotions. I know those guys contributed to the Success ot the team but I am nout sure why you keep their names so close to the current happenings and current events as the Focus is on Current NEWs. I would love to see a section on past players and what they are doing now. But I think it should be in a seperate section. Yet I will google stats on Antrel and Anquan but it will be with the Idea that while I respect them because they were a past Cardinal deep down I do not hope they acheive the success somewhere else that they had at Arizona. My suggestion to you put up a section EX Cards in the news….. But stay mostly focused on OUR Cardinals….

31. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Chipper –

Nothing has been announced yet.

32. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Ed –

The tags have to do with all the blogs I have done. Until other players surpass those numbers, their names will remain. I guess I could take down the tag cloud and maybe I will, but it’s not about having a “section” of past players on a page, it’s just that those players got written about a lot. That’s all.

33. By Skiptim on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Totally unrelated to anything:

Darren, does Alan Faneca seem to have the same cadence and facial expressions as Russ Grimm to you? I just watched the “Russ Grimm talks Hall of Fame” and he totally reminded me of Faneca.

34. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim –

Never really thought about it, to be honest.

35. By Fred Betz on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

I hope Becht is ok on his day off, maybe he had a fall on the scooter.

36. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

How crazy is this??? The ARIZONA Cardinals keep needing to move practices inside because of the rain and out here in New Jersey, my yard looks like a damn desert because of the heat and LACK of rain! Strange…

37. By Olas 81 on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Just was wondering if the cards were thinking about an I phone app?