So that’s what it’s like to have a practice outside.
There were a few drops early on but never anything to worry about, and generally the weather was great for Tuesday’s practice. With that as your mental background, some kibbles and bits about today:
– Apparently, it was veterans’ day. Tight end Anthony Becht, defensive lineman Bryan Robinson and linebacker Joey Porter all took the day off, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because of injury (Coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t speak after practice so we weren’t able to ask about Tuesday’s new injuries, which included the walking boot on the left foot of cornerback Rashad Barksdale and whatever is wrong with linebacker Reggie Walker. Still out are tight end Jim Dray (quad), saftey Hamza Abdullah (hamstring), linebacker Gerald Hayes (back) and linebacker O’Brien Schofield (knee).
– Hayes was into it. At one point during running battles that included everyone but cornerbacks and wide receivers, the offense cracked some gains on a couple of plays. Hayes, watching intently along with Porter, screamed some not-safe-for-work words to his defensive mates, imploring them to crack down.
– Wide receiver Andre Roberts looked much better catching the ball today after yesterday’s struggles.
– Rookie Dan Williams’ first practice was about what you’d expect. He looked fine, but was definitely out of breath. It’s tough practicing in full pads for the first time since college at 7,000 feet.
– I have been impressed with RT Brandon Keith. I haven’t watched him every play, but I have yet to see him get beat and he just looks so solid. Darnell Dockett has been ripping things up, but on one pass rush during 11-on-11, Keith shut Dockett down.
– Finally, we had some fists-of-fury spillover from yesterday, featuring WR Larry Fitzgerald and CB Michael Adams. I’m not sure exactly what went down on the pass to Fitz that eventually fell incomplete, but someone was unhappy, and Fitzgerald lowered the boom on Adams with a big head slap that knocked Adams’ helmet off. The two suddenly squared off, with both daring the other to fight and Adams actually raising his fists in front of him like a boxer. Adams was quickly pulled away by teammates, and later, the two were made to hug it out.
“It was just a normal Fitz-and-Mike day,” Adams said afterward. “If Mike gets the better of Fitz … you can take it back to my rookie year, me and Fitz. We get into scuffles all the time. I get a little bit emotional at times. I guess it is that short man’s syndrome in me.”
Then Adams joked about Monday’s scraps, noting “I told Fitz yesterday I was going to start a fight today because everyone else was. I figure I’d try one.”
Tags: Andre Roberts, Anthony Becht, Brandon Keith, Bryan Robinson, Dan Williams, Darnell Dockett, Gerald Hayes, Hamza Abdullah, Jim Dray, Joey Porter, Ken Whisenhunt, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Adams, O'Brien Schofield, Rashad Barksdale, Reggie Walker
Posted in Blog | 37 Comments »