Cutting Sheik, Highsmith among Cards’ moves

Posted by Darren Urban on August 3, 2010 – 2:36 pm

Hurting your calf on the first step of the conditioning test of training camp is never a good thing. So it’s probably not a shock the Cardinals waived-injured defensive lineman Dean Muhtadi Tuesday, the man known as the “Iron Sheik” to his teammates and the happiest man in the NFL to me. The Cardinals also cut inside linebacker Ali Highsmith, who had been running second team, and brought back yet again linebacker Pago Togafau, who has been with the Cards a few times. Finally, the team released wide receiver Deryn Bowser to sign safety Aaron Rouse, a veteran who played with the Packers and Giants last season.

The Highsmith move is a bit surprising, given the Cards’ questions at the position. But he struggled last season and apparently isn’t working out. Interesting on the signing of Rouse — who struggled a lot for the Giants, which is why they chased Antrel Rolle — but there are injuries in the secondary. Safety Hamza Abdullah was sitting out with a bad hamstring, and cornerback Rashad Barksdale has some sort of leg injury too.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Cutting Sheik, Highsmith among Cards’ moves”

1. By Boondock on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Sucks to see the Sheik go. I don’t get the Ali move though…I don’t think Pago is an upgrade. Booo

2. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Really surprised at the Highsmith cut, is he just not big enough?

Is Rouse a free or strong safety?

Togafau has to hold the record for most times signed with the Cards. Too bad for the Iron Sheik guy.

3. By Catcher Freeman on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I remember Rouse from the draft a few years back. Big kid, like 6’4, 230 from Va Tech.

4. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Ali often looked lost and missed tackles. Wonder if Will Davis can/might move inside to ILB?

5. By brad oneill on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

that is too bad about the sheik. is it possible the team is letting him go just so they can get people in too check out on the field. It looked like he wasnt going to be doing anything for a bit with his injury? i hope they saw enough to bring him back when he recovers. I would love to see him make the practice squad.

6. By Joe-B on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Any way that Shiek can make the practice squad?

7. By Walter L on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Sheik might just clear waivers, and I bet the Cards sign him to the PS if he does. Signing a safety is strange to me, probably just a camp body. I never liked Highsmith, probably moving Walker up a little bit on the depth chart. I figured they would wait until other teams start cutting in hopes of snagging an ILB then cut him.

8. By Derrik on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Highsmith is a surprise, I doubt if Pago is more than a camp body..wonder if they have their eye on a Vet MLB?

9. By Dave on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I think the problem with Highsmith was he was hurt a lot.

10. By LadyCard04 on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Really sorry to see the Sheik go….his smile was infectious and I’m sure his positive attitude was great in the locker room. Maybe they’ll be able to use him later on the PS or something. If not, Good Luck and Keep Smiling!

11. By Shtiggy on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I’m disappointed in Highsmith. I thought the Cards were really lucky to get him after the draft. I had high hopes for Highsmith. He just never seemed to be in the mix. I guess it’s good because it means the Cards already have too many LBs, a spot I know we were weak at.

12. By DCCardinalsFan on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Really sorry to hear about the Sheik. I am from the D.C. area and have been a Cardinals fan for years and have noticed how the guy has turned into a local hero due to his unrelenting desire to succeed. I came up from D.C. to check out OTAs and he looked great, making plays and hustling everywhere. How do you think his chances in the future look? Will the team resign him once he heals up, if he is still available?

13. By jwit on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

The Sheik will be missed… hopefully he can return at a later date.

I know that Dockett was practicing with Muhtadi during the offseason. Has Dockett made any comments in regards to Muhtadi getting cut?

Thanks

14. By MikeG on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren,–good articles on the website!!
    How have the Cards new fullbacks looked???
    Certainly an important position given the
    fact we may be running the ball more!!!
    Anyone sticking out???

15. By ShannonRobinson on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Ask and ye shall receive – adding Pago Togafau makes me real happy and fullfills my maxim that two Polynesians on a team is a magic number. Pago is a hard hitter and doesn’t miss. Besides it’s comical to hear every broadcaster mispronounce his name. He’s good on special teams as well. Darren, I think he’s Tongan as well as Deuce, am I correct? This is also a statement that coaches think Chris Johnson, LB from South Dakota State, is worth another look.
    With two players on the PUP list do the Cards have room to sign two more players as other teams waive them?

16. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Joe – B —

It’s a longshot. But I’d never say never.

17. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

DC —

I wouldn’t count on it.

18. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

jwit —

No, but I would bet Darnell knows the business.

19. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

I mentioned FBs in the previous blog post.

20. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Shannon —

The Cards’ roster is maxed out.

21. By sky on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

darren just wanted to say you do a amazing job keeping everyone updated. i read your blogs every day

22. By Steve on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Muhtadi needs to come back to be a Card at least as a practice squad player. He helped make Dockett a better player this season, he is a model teammate and a leader and will help the Cardinals aquire that championship attitidue again. GO SHEIK!

23. By TBru on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Second time Highsmith has been released, obviously he isn’t the guy. We have to get 53 so hard to get too upset about early cuts.

24. By solson on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Would Schobel be a good fit?

25. By card62 on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Sheik never received a shot. Would have been very difficult for him to make the team, but sad that he worked so hard in the off season and never even was able to take reps with the team. Not all fun and games in the NFL.

2. Aug 3, 2010: Cardinals Sign Rouse, Togafau | The Other 31