Very special teams for Porter, Fitz

Posted by Darren Urban on August 3, 2010 – 11:15 am

The Cardinals were working on special teams yesterday — punting — and suddenly, veteran linebacker Joey Porter jumped in to play gunner. And receiver Larry Fitzgerald jumped in to block him on the “return.” These are jobs the stars don’t do. Except on a Monday afternoon in training camp.

Of course, competition never stops. So they battled pretty good. And Fitz left Porter with a bloody lip afterward.

“I was trying to re-live the old school drill trying to be a gunner,” Porter said, “and he took a cheap shot at me and busted my lip. So I owe him.”

Fitzgerald wanted to make sure everyone remembered he teamed with Nate Poole to block gunners on punt coverage when he was a rookie back in 2004.

“Remember (gunner) Alex Bannister from Seattle, made all-pro?” Fitzgerald said. “We shut him down two games in a row, didn’t have a tackle in Seattle or here in Arizona. … I did do that. (Assistant defensive backs coach) Rick Courtright used to coach me on the technique. I don’t know if I could do it anymore …” Asked if that meant he couldn’t or wouldn’t, Fitz said, “If they need me to I can do it. If they challenge me to do that, I can do whatever.”

As for that busted lip, Fitzgerald blamed offensive lineman Jeremy Bridges, and reiterated his solid blocking job on Porter. “I had Joey the whole time, so I finished him out,” Fitzgerald said, pointing to his bicep. “These aren’t just for the girls.”

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “Very special teams for Porter, Fitz”

1. By John on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

heck ya thats right go fitz!

2. By brandon on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

haha legit…. good to see everyone competing and not thinking they are better than anyone else because of there pay grade…. plus i think they just have fun

3. By 4ZERO on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I love the leadership shown by both of these guys. I can’t wait to get up there to camp. I plan on heading up Thursday night and staying through Sunday! Go Cardinals.

4. By Curtis on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Oh please. Porter needs to take off his dress and play football. The only thing he owes Fitz is a thank you for reminding him that he is not the man he thinks he is. If you are going to jump in and play special teams expect to get hit. Geez who is this guy?

5. By Bryan on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Hmmm…so should we be worried that Porter can’t get by Fitz or amazed at Fitz athleticism?lol

6. By Pheenic Cromartie on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you think this in-team fighting is sort of dangerous? I mean, do you think this could lead to arguments during the season and could possibly damage the Cardinals playing?

I hope not!

7. By darrenurban on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic —

If Whisenhunt isn’t worried, neither am I.

8. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

You go, Larry!!! I swear, there is NOTHING this guy can’t do. But now that it’s done, let’s be done with the stuff that really is not necessary for EITHER of these players. They’re both way too important to be damaged on the 2nd day of camp.

9. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

I like to see the competition. Just don’t like hearing our outside linebacker could be blocked by a wide out. Not reassuring. But its all good. I’m sure both are going to do a great job for us. Fitz, at least 10 TD’s and Porter at least 10 sacks. Go Cards !!!!!

10. By brandon on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

you guys make it sound like larry was playing on the o-line!? this was a gunner and a blocker we are talking about… porter has never had the speed fitz has and getting by fitz when he has the whole field to work with is dumb… correct me if im wrong but have you ever seen a slow gunner on Punt coverage that was actually good?

11. By Sedona Chris on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

nothing more than a little friendly competition to liven the moods and the fire inside of our competitors… Now imagine the damage inflicted if Fitz was going against 49ers or Seattle… I expect nothing less than another deep playoff run as we retain our NFC West crown for a third year

12. By chinoman on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

joey should have knock him out GO JOEY

13. By Scott H on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

chinoman –

Yeah, I’m sure that would go over REAL well with teammates and coaches.