• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Stuff from practice, like Dub’s new number

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2010 – 1:45 pm

So much to talk about from this morning and lunch time. Let’s get to it, shall we?

– Practice was light this morning. That’s what happens when you have practiced heavy the previous two afternoons and you have a heavy practice planned in the evening, which the Cards do under the lights at Coconino High School.

– Remember the bad day rookie receiver Andre Roberts had a couple of days ago? Apparently Roberts doesn’t. Today he made a nice catch at the back of the end zone on a pass from Max Hall, snagging it while keeping his feet inbounds.

– On the injury list, linebacker Reggie Walker was back to work. Cornerback Rashad Barksdale has a left foot injury, and tight end Anthony Becht is nursing a mild back issue. Tight end Jim Dray (quad) is still sidelined. Safety Hamza Abdullah remains out with a bad hamstring, which is why the Cards brought in safety Aaron Rouse. The other day, coach Ken Whisenhunt said, starting safeties Adrian Wilson and Kerry Rhodes actually had to take reps with the third-string defense because the Cards were short at the position.

– Former Cardinal defensive end Bertrand Berry was back at camp. He’s a media member now, trying to get started in the business. He came up to do a series of web pieces for FOXsportsarizona.com about camp, beginning with a story on Clark Haggans and Joey Porter. “I’m just trying to learn the other side,” Berry said. Berry’s first video will be posted Aug. 6.

– Whisenhunt said the Cardinals were happy to get another chance at linebacker Pago Togafau, whom they lost off the practice squad last season. But it meant releasing Ali Highsmith because Whiz felt the team couldn’t get too heavy at the position. It hurts the Cards that two of the players hurt right now but counting against the 80-man roster are linebackers: Gerald Hayes and O’Brien Schofield.

– Speaking of inside linebacker, Whisenhunt has no thoughts right now on where they all stand. “I have to see more and get more information,” Whisenhunt said. “A lot will play out in the preseason games.”

– Finally, Adrian Wilson, once again, was sporting a new jersey number out at practice. The man who has made getting a different jersey number at practice a habit didn’t have the No. 9 (his high school number) on for the first time. Instead, he was wearing 5/53 — as in, a No. 53, but with the “3″ blocked out on the front and back with trainers’ tape.

“Camp is monotonous,” Wilson deadpanned. “You gotta do something. I can’t grow a (expletive) beard.” He laughed when it was pointed out he did have some serious chin hairs, retorting, “I’ve had this for 30 years.”

Why a 53 with the 3 covered up? “Just wanted to feel like I was still a DB,” Wilson said. “Had the ’5′ showing, but I had the ’53′ on the shoulder because I hit like a linebacker and cover like a safety. Know what I am saying?”

Indeed we do.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Stuff from practice, like Dub’s new number”

1. By MIKEFLORIO on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

B-TRAIN Glad to see he is back. BIG RED RAGE ALIUM. MAYBE he can give wilson some advice. Man I miss those days. WILSON has always worn different numbers at camp. No news there but keep reaching urb.

2. By Boondock on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

AW is the man. Someone needs to make an official highlight reel of Adrian’s best hits…do it up AZCards media team!

3. By Chris B on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

So did Clark know Dub stole one of his jerseys? If I was Haggans, I’d make him take it off… after all, Dub can’t grow a beard.

4. By Derek on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Are the Cardinals showing any interest in picking up Aaron Schobel?

5. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio –

Always enjoy your negative feedback.

6. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

Doubt it. They need inside linebackers, not outside ones.

7. By MikeG on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,-nice article.
    It seems from reports that DRC is having a nice
    camp so far. Do you see any hobbling in his step
    coming off the injury???
    I think if he can become a more conssistent tackler
    in the secondary–he will be a Top 3 corner in the NFL!!!

8. By Mno on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Could you please do a piece on Rookie WR Stephen Williams. I am loving what I have been hearing from every one on this man and if you can discuss how many receivers the cardinals are likely to have at the end of training camp?

9. By nrdpmp on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

I enjoyed watching the practice today. The QB”s hitting the trash can was fun. The fact that Linehart kept getting closer and closer, but then Derek made it in.

10. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

He doesn’t seem like he is hobbling.

11. By MIKEFLORIO on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

URB You Know I love you and the cards. Its just fun bantering. Like I havent been up to training camp for the past five years. I have tried yelling your name evertime I see you. But always get big tymed. See you Sat.

12. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio –

I promise I never big-time. I may not hear my name — I mean, who’s gonna be calling my name when Larry Fitzgerald, DRC, Darnell Dockett, etc, are around? — but if I do, I’ll say hello.

13. By ShannonRobinson on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Bryan Robinson might get cut as I see him as our eighth defensive lineman. However in the numbers game you can cut Bryan Robinson knowing that no one will pick him up – just so you can sneak a young player like Mark Washington or Calvin through the first wave of roster cut downs and then move Bryan back onto the roster later. George Allen and the Redskins used to cut Jack Pardee and Myron Pottios every year because age and salary protected them from being claimed. My guess is B-Rob starts our first league game. I also think Jeremy Clark will be a surprise to many in camp.

14. By Scott H on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Too bad B-train isn’t back in uniform…that man can still play and having him for depth and the rotation would be nice. Ya know, B, there’s always time for a career in media but the playing years are limited! But I wish him well and I think he will do well. He’s got a good look and a good personality. He’ll get there.

15. By moe on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

darren ,

i was wondering i havent heard much on baggs how is he holding up i know he did pretty good last year over seas wanted to know if he is going to be on the 53 man roster and even worthy to start

16. By darrenurban on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Moe –

Not to crack on you geographically but he was playing in Canada. It wasn’t like it was the Russian Football League. Baggs wouldn’t start. He has an uphill climb to make the team, I think.

17. By Bryan on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

I love ADUB,but the whole changing my practice jersey cuz it stands for “_________” is getting pretty lame.

#BIRDGANG!!!

18. By rob on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren can you guys make a highlight reel of A-Dub plz

19. By 4ZERO on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of jerseys….. Darren, do you or anyone else for that matter know if they are selling the black premier jeseys up there? I haven’t found them at any stores and the team shop at the stadium only has small sizes in Wilson and Wells. I need a 52, or XL and prefer it be Wilson. Thanks. JB

20. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

4Zero –

That I do not know. Let me see if I can get someone in touch with you.

21. By 4ZERO on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

I appreciate it! Heading up there tonight, can’t wait. I hope they weather allows the practices tomorrow and Sat to remain outdoors. Thanks again.

2. Aug 4, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com