Another veterans’ day

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2010 – 5:50 pm

With a hard practice Wednesday night and two more workouts tomorrow, the lone practice Thursday was a low-key afternoon for some. Safety Adrian Wilson, guard Alan Faneca and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie were spectators. Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald took a lot of reps, but there seemed to be fewer for Early Doucet and Steve Breaston while the other wideouts got to show something. We saw more Darren Mougey and Stephen Williams than I can remember.

(And a quick aside — Williams continues to impress. He has to do it in preseason games, but at this rate, it’s going to be hard to keep him off the roster in my opinion.)

Matt Leinart had arguably his best practice. Derek Anderson seemed to struggle. Three more players were sidelined with aliments I am now trying to find out: DL Jeremy Clark, RB Alfonso Smith and WR Max Komar (although Komar was out last night too, now that I think about it).

Leinart completed a beautiful deep pass to Fitzgerald during the two-minute drill at the end of the game. Fitzgerald came down around the 10-yard line, and that was enough for coach Ken Whisenhunt, who decided to give the second units a chance. Anderson completed a fourth-down pass for a first down to Andre Roberts (who continues to bounce back from his poor Monday) and then threw a TD pass with just a few seconds left to Ed Gant when new safety Aaron Rouse took a bad angle in the end zone.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Another veterans’ day”

1. By MikeG on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Nice Article!
    It will be interesting to see Stephen Williams in
    the pre-season games. If he can perform he would
    be a nice addition because of his size. It always
    helps to have a nice target especially with Breaston and Doucet being a little smaller!! Have his hands
    looked solid???

2. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

Yes they have.

3. By Cardsftw on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the Tidbit on leinart. But has he shown more promise this year compared to others? i wish i could be down watching training camp but i’m a little far north…

4. By MikeG on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Has Derek Anderson’s struggles been that of
    throwing inaccurate passes or just bad reads???

5. By rob on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Would be amazing to have a solid 6’5″ WO

6. By mike b on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I know Wiz said Mougey had alot to learn, but do you think he has what it takes to make practice squad? I know he probably won’t make the final 53 but how did he do?

7. By JoeVero on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    What has most of the depth chart looked like at CB so far? Has Greg Toler looked as good as people expect him to be?

8. By TucsonTim on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

How is Baggs doing. A CFL star at a position we desperately need. If he’s not getting a chance then why did we sign him?

9. By CZarr on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I have been glued to the blog since the OTAs, you’re doing great. I have noticed that there are only bits and pieces on Leinart specifically. In all honesty I figured there would be more considering the controversy surrounding the position this year. Are you building up to a more comprehensive piece regarding what you’ve seen so far from Leinart, or should I be happy with what I’m getting? lol

10. By Cory on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I went up there on Tues to watch the QBs (like everyone else). I know it was only one day, but to me the difference between Leinart and Anderson was huge, and in Leinart’s favor. Not just with his performance, but also his attitude. For instance, Matt was wearing his helmet during many of the non-contact drills, such as the trashcan drill. It seems like a small thing, but seeing one QB make sure his practice is game-like, and the others less attentive to detail really highlights to me who is the lead candidate for the spot.

11. By KG on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

D-

So how does a guy 6;5″ 208 with 4.5 speed and above average/good hands go undrafted? Any background info on Stephen Williams and how he fell to the Cards as an undrafted FA?

12. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

Inaccuracy.

13. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Mike B –

He did well, I thought. He’s got a chance at the practice squad.

14. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

JoeVero –

Still wide open.

15. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

He’s third-string trying to make inroads.

16. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

If you want, I will link to everything I have written. It’s plenty. What exactly do you think is missing?

17. By darrenurban on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

KG –

Great question. Wolf and/or Pasch asked the same thing in our most recent podcast.

18. By joe on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

So i drove up to flag today to see Matt for myself and I was thoroughly impressed he looked really good. Larry made 3-4 impressive grabs as did doucet Breaston looked like he was going half speed to me. Where in the world did this williams guy come from he looked pretty dang good he’s huge for one and a decent route runner maybe a bit slow. Was fun day over all and I’m excited about this comming season even more so after seeing things first hand. Go Cards!

19. By Logan Cooper on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

CZarr- what are you looking for? If you have been glued to the blog, did you glue your eyes shut as well in the process?

Leinart is gonna start barring any unforeseen events. Darren has made that so clear.

Darren, i think what’s missing is what kind of cold cereal they eat in the morning. ;)

20. By Zack on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I have been glued to the web site all camp, and the twitter lol! I check it constantly throughout the day and there is almost always something new up! I just wanted to say you are doing a great job! Youre killing it! Thanks for the hard work and dedication!

21. By K-DUB on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

How many yards would you say was the deep pass?

22. By darrenurban on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

Guesstimating, 35-40 yards I’d say?

23. By John on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Good article about the offensive line. The Cards and depth on O-line has never gone together. One question; Why does someone have to go. You said the cards kept 9 last year and I counted 9 guys you have listed in the mix. Can’t they all make it that you have listed?

On to another topic. I begged and pleaded for the cards not to take a wr in the 3rd round. Instead, go CB or LB. Being that we have our top 3 (Fitz, Breaston, Doucet) and the emergence of Onrea Jones as a possible 4, Seems we could have gone a different way. Now we have Stephen Willams stepping up. WR just wasnt a need.
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we picked Navarro Bowman in the 3rd, filling in at ILB for Hayes. Or added depth at CB since no one has stepped up to claim the spot? Hmmmm
    No, this isnt hindsight. Still can’t understand that move. Is any one else still frustrated over that pick????

24. By John on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

What is the story on Aaron Rouse? Is he a camp guy or do the Cards like him. He started some in Gb, then suddenly got cut. Went to the Giants, played but shipped out. He is huge for a safety and has good speed. For a guy who has talent and has started, he should be grabbed. Any insight?

25. By darrenurban on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

John –

They kept nine last year in part because they didn’t want to lose Keith/Johnson for the future. Not sure they will do it again.

As for the WR going forward, you take the players you think are higher on your board. I have no idea where they had someone like Bowman ranked compared to Roberts. But for all I know, they had Bowman as a fifth-round kind of guy. You don’t reach if you can help it. Plus, the “emergence” of Jones didn’t come until after the draft. Jones did OK in camp last year too, and coaches felt he disappeared when it came to games.

26. By darrenurban on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

John –

I think Rouse is likely a camp body.

27. By John on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Back to the O-line;

So does it come down to keeping two projects in Johnson and Claxton or two know commodities in Hadnot and Bridges?
    Could Wells be the one looking from the outside?

I think this o-line fight is very interesting how it will play out. Bridges really came through last year( ask Jared Allen). I’m hoping he is still standing at the end.

PS. Looks like you would have made the right move with Dumervil. I told you I would trade a 1 and 3 for him. You said no way. After signing his contract Dumervil is gone for the year with an injury. Ah , you got lucky.

28. By Monty on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

As an Aztec Alum, would love to see Mougey make the practice squad – he has all the physical gifts, he just got cought behind Kevin O’Connell and then Ryan Lindley (both guys who are or will be in the League) at QB and with some seasoning could be a good special teams 4th/5th reciever.

29. By CZarr on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren/Logan

Perhaps you’re right. I’ve been battling Leinart’s nay-sayers all offseason, he’s a guy I like to see and hear about playing the game. I guess I just got a little too excited with preseason so close. =P

Pass on the cereal information. I would assume with the way he throws it would be Wheaties though.

30. By cardattac on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Man…. Awesome to hear that Matt is lookin good. I never doubted it. I know the dude has what it takes. He is finally focused on the team and the task at hand. He had his head up his ass for a bit and at the same time just had a stroke bad luck getting hurt. Also he came into a team under Denny Green!!! Who was doin nothing with the team but running it even farther into the ground.

This a much wore Matt friendly team. More built around him and with more winners too.

I have never been a big fan of MR. ANDERSON. I mean if he plays well ok. But he has more to prove to me then Leinart. Matts biggest problem was his attitude/focus. which he has cleaned up considerably.

The team is lookin good and determined. They know what everyone is talkin about. We lost Warner, Dansby and Rolle. So they all put us at third in our division under the Miners and Seadoggs??? I dont get it…. And I know our boys want it more then ever!!!

Come on now!!! Lets co CARDS!!!

31. By Ryan D on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, you are doing great at answering everybody but with the popularity of the Cardinals I think you need an assistant. Where should I send my resume??? J/K, you are a pro bowler in your own right Darren, keep up the excellent work on azcards.com…

32. By card62 on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Thanks everyone on the updates on Leinart. I have not been sold on him like some of you, but I agreed with giving him his shot in 2010 and I hope he does incredibly well and is our QB for the next decade.

Can not wait to see Williams in preseason. Always great to have a nice free agent surprise like Marcel Shipp.