After the Red-White and the first week

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2010 – 12:38 pm

The Cardinals are done with the first week of training camp, culminating in this dreary day in Flagstaff where the rain shoved everyone inside the Skydome for the Red-White practice. The crowd was estimated at somewhere between 10,000 and 11,000, a nice turnout anyway and especially considering the weather. So takeways:

– Rookie WR Stephen Williams shined again (more on that in my notebook later). I know it’s early and I know we have to see him in games, but right now, I say he makes this team, with third-round WR Andre Roberts, to team with veterans Larry Fitzgerald, Early Doucet and Steve Breaston.

– Doucet is dinged again. He sat out Saturday with an abdominal strain that coach Ken Whisenhunt said not a big deal. Doucet had not done much the last couple of days.

– It was Beanie Wells’ 22nd birthday. For a present, the defense got him stuffed at the goal line on the last play of the workout, with safety Matt Ware leaping into the gap and hitting Beanie as Beanie tried to leap over the pile of bodies. “It’s a pride thing,” Ware said. “You want to show your manhood.”

– Speaking of the defense, a few of them waved their arms to get the crowd riled up at the end. “I can’t ’t recall a practice where I saw the defense getting the crowd up like they did,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. Maybe it was to be expected though. Said Ware, “(The quarterbacks) get cheered for throwing balls in the trash can, and we tag them off (instead of tackling) and they still run for touchdowns. Sometimes we get annoyed with that. Today, we got the crowd into it a little bit.”

– Overall, there were a bunch of drops or near-misses from receivers, in both drills and the controlled scrimmage. Even Williams dropped one early in the practice.

– CB Greg Toler looked better, although he was beat deep by Breaston on a pass that was simply overthrown by QB Matt Leinart. Even though it landed incomplete, Toler did a penalty of push-ups on the sideline after.

– Whisenhunt said Leinart “did good,” blaming some issues on protection problems. To the naked eye, it wasn’t Leinart’s finest hour. He didn’t get into the end zone (Derek Anderson’s pass to Williams for a 10-yard score was the lone touchdown), threw one interception to Toler on an underthrown jump ball to Fitz and had another interception dropped by CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Anderson played better. Whisenhunt said the Cards just need to correct mistakes and move forward.

– QB Max Hall looked better than John Skelton, to be expected given Hall’s college polish compared to Skelton.

– Leinart did have a two-yard TD run (shown below) but it was called back because of holding.

– The Cards are now off until practice Monday morning.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

57 Responses to “After the Red-White and the first week”

1. By brandon on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    whats the usual lag time on the Highlights? im excited to see them

2. By Joe-B on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Here comes the “Bench Leinart, we want Anderson!” chants….

3. By KG on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

What a morning of practice! Loved what I saw from our defensive line and you could tell the offensive line need some extra reps. Our secondary work was pretty solid as was the pass rushing. Sucks that our biggest ? is the QB. Also Dockett is going to be double/triple teamed all year he could explode as the best DT in football this year. Like others have said he is playing like a man possessed.

4. By AJ M on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I’m not surprised that Leinart didn’t do great, but overall I would have expected the offense to do better.

5. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

How does Williams compare to that WR the Cards cut out of training camp and then put him on the practice squad and then let him go. I think he was from Michigan State and was tall also. He may have played basketball?

How is Jones doing? It seems like so many were high on him being the 5th WR?

6. By phoenixraven1 on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

come on Leinart!

7. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Brandon —

Check later this afternoon.

8. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

Don’t remember the WR’s name you speak of (but I do remember him). Williams is doing better than any undrafted WR I can remember. Jones hasn’t done much to notice.

9. By dean on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    How does the running game look?

10. By Eddie Tomko on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Williams was fantastic. He made a nice catch between two defenders while getting hit. I’m excited too see in the preseason

11. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Dean —

Hard to tell today with no tackling.

12. By Logan Cooper on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Tinted,
    I remember who you are talking about he caught a TD in a preseason game a couple of years ago that he fumbled then caught it on his stomach. He had corn rows and was a basketball player.
    This is gonna bother me that i can’t remember his name.

13. By Logan Cooper on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

got it, it was Matt Trannon. He is nowhere near the the skill set of Williams. (football wise)

14. By Steve on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

So is it looking like toler will be the starter opposite side DRC? How is that newcomer Ford looking?…. Cornerback is worrying me a little bit especially after the last two playoff games.

15. By Cardsftw on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I think anderson is a joke… the only thing he can do is throw the deep ball at times… i would rather have a quarterback who can dink and dunk down field with the occasional bomb to fitz… so cut anderson and go with leinart skelton and hall as our three QBs…

16. By Thomas77 on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I finally made it up there today and have to say you covered it well Darren.
    I am a Leinart guy, but while Anderson didn’t seem so hot during the drills, he definitely looked much better during the scrimmage. In fact, I think he looked much better, more comfortable, and in better sync with the offense than did Matt. He had good quick release, and seemed very accurate and decisive. Of course, this is just one practice and omly my and my friends opinions.

Also, one of my friends kept asking who #14 was, cause of how impressive he looked. And we were all agreed on that. Turns out its Stephen Williams. Sorta remined me of Breaston. I dont think he’s being cut either, Darren.

Also, Max Hall was very impressive also. Seems to me he has good instincts and a very accurate arm.

17. By Skiptim on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks for answering all my questions, and sorry for doing like five in a row in that one post yesterday. Probably a littttttle bit excessive.

18. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

It came to me, Matt Trannon

19. By SeeingRed on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Good practice. Defense definitely seemed to dominate. Not sure what was up with offensive line though… Couldn’t tell if the line needs work or D-line is just that good. Leinart (and I’m not a Leinart hater) looked bad…the line wasn’t always a help to him but he still seems to hold onto the ball too long patting it, and just doesn’t look as comfortable in the pocket as DA. He seems to rush his passes or hesitate too long. Right now I’m chalking it up to Leinart’s lack of starts but I’ll be really interested to see what unfolds in the preseason games. I hope Leinart plays like he’s THE GUY because the Org has invested lots of time and money in him.

20. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Wow, McFadden getting a shout out from LaBeau at the HOF

21. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

Ford hasn’t done enough to judge.

22. By Joe daddy on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Hows Duece lutui looking darren? I hope he beats out wells at RG. I think the coaching staff is just trying to send a message but hopefully its just a matter of time before he takes over.

23. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Dean —

It will be solid.

24. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Joe Daddy —

Whiz talked about Deuce yesterday.

25. By Pheenic Cromartie on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren, from you articles, it seems that Matt Leinart isn’t doing that great. Is he making good throws, or is he throwing a bunch of interceptions/incompletes, with a good throw here and there?

26. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic —

I thought he struggled today, but when you say “articles,” I’m not sure where you are coming from.

27. By Pheenic Cromartie on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Well, by articles, I mean all the posts and, I really don’t know what to call it other than articles, so yeah, everything you’ve been writing on this site.

Scratch that, in your opinion, on scale of 1-10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, how is Matt Leinart doing so far?

28. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic —

I am going to go with 6.5.

29. By Logan Cooper on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Practice, practice? You talking about practice?
    Look back to Leinart’s U.S.C days. He never practiced that well. Matt Cassel and Leinart competed and everyone was utterly surprised when Carrol went with Leinart because Cassel was much better in practice.

Leinart is a gamer. I will not speculate or make judgments until i see him in a real game. When he is bad in “consecutive” games, then i will worry. Until then, I am fully confident in him and his abilities to lead this team.

Just my two cents.

30. By Catcher Freeman on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Stephen Williams’ college highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehMxI_i61xE

31. By MikeG on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Nice article on Stephen Williams–so far he seems
    to be the surprise in camp at least on the offensive side of the ball. You have to give the Cardinals
    scouting department and front office big time credit
    for finding quality players in the later rounds of the draft or in this case an undrafted player. I would
    say this is the biggest difference between the Whisenhunt years and those prior. Great personnel decisions in building this team. I’m hoping Williams
    and Baggs make this team. We will see what they do in the preseason games. How did Brandon Kieth hold up today???

32. By mikeso on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

just came back from red and white it was good. weather bad. obv. had it inside. good amount of people. but just a little fyi i stood in steve breaston’s line the first 30 min just to meet him, and all i got in return was a cold should! i mean if like i wasnt even there. bad day for breaston? or maybe just not an early bird? any ways fitz’s line was to to long maybe next year! but over all good. i mean of course im die hard cards baby! go cards.

33. By Rick on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I saw this headline on ESPN… “Saints defense frustrates Brees in scrimmage”… although Leinart may have thrown a pick and had one dropped, last i checked DRC is a top 3 DB in the NFL!!! I am tired of hearing all the anti-Leinart chants at camp and on the “boards”. Remember Cleveland didn’t want Derek Anderson any more and they are a really bad team!!! Let’s wait and see what Matt does over the entire preseason before we call for his head. Beside it a short four years ago when we were SCREAMING to bench Kurt Warner for Matt Leinart for all the exact same reasons. Let’s all take a deep breath and see where it all goes

34. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

The offensive line as a whole has had better days.

35. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Mikeso —

I am guessing you are older than 12? If you were there just to meet him, maybe he was thinking you already busted the rules. I don’t know. Steve is one of my favorite guys on the team.

36. By Logan Cooper on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

How much has calais improved from last year, not last years camp but practices towards the end of the season? What are some of the things he seems to have worked on and improved?

37. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Has Hadnot been getting any reps at center?

38. By Thomas77 on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Rick,

I can’t seem to find anyone on the boards here right now calling for Leinarts head. There are a few of us who have mentioned, based on today’s practice, how much more comfortable Anderson looks behind center than Leinart. Although, both our comments were followed up stating that it’s only one practice. I still feel Matt needs his chance and needs the backing and confidence of not only his coaches and team mates, but the fans as well. He’s earned his chance to prove himself as our starting QB, and for more than just a few regular season games. I’m sure he is a gamer and once he get’s a few good wins under his belt along with the confidence of the team/coaches/fans, he’ll be free to relax a bit and will probably look much more at ease and confident. But again, that’s just my two cents….

39. By We'll miss Q on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Rick I hate to argue with you but there is NO WAY DRC is a top 3 DB in the NFL. Revis, Osumghwa(not sure about the spelling) with the Raiders and Champ bailey are clearly better. I would say he is a top 10 COVER corner but he does not support the run enough get called a top 3 corner let alone DB. How about Ed Reed, Polumalu, Adrian Wilson??

40. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

Well, I’m not a coach. But I think he simply has more confidence, which helps.

41. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

42. By LUKE on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren,random question here.are the john lott get your mind right tshirts available for purchase?

43. By TucsonTim on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

How are the DB’s handling Henderson? Do you think he has added something to the overall increase in the intensity of the defense?

Thanks

44. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Luke —

No. Those are just for the team.

45. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim —

I plan on doing a blog or story on Donnie soon. I do think he helps, yes.

46. By mike b on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

As I looked at the video of the Red and White practice, I saw someone intercept a John Skelton pass. I noticed it was Chris Johnson and I was wondering how he is doing in camo.

47. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Mike B —

I think it’s really the first time I have noticed Johnson, although it was a good sign, when they signed Togafau, he stuck around and they let Highsmith go.

48. By Deveau on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

How about Rashad Johnson, how has his play been, and is he running 2nd or 3rd team? Also, who is currently slotted at 2nd team CB?

Regards,

Cris

49. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

Johnson is second team and he is doing well. The CB situation is fluid.

50. By Big Red on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, how did the middle linebackers perform and who started. Did any of them had a great day.

51. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Big Red —

I thought they did fine, for what the practice was. The defense was good. Lenon and Beisel are the starters for now.

52. By Roberto Black on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, you have to be kidding. You don’t really think that number 3 played better than Leinart based on a couple of controlled scrimmages. There are too many factors that don’t make it a real game. As I recall, Kurt looked horrible last year in some of the preseason games. Yet not one of you press guys said anything about it. If Leinart throws an interception or has a couple of incompletions your reports make it seem like he had an awful day. You ding Matt for every ball that hits the ground. You guys are like sharks on a feeding frenzy. Playing quarterback is about having confidence and I don’t know how Leinart has any left with the punk group of reporters in AZ.

53. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Roberto —

Whoa there Tex.

It was one controlled scrimmage. And yes, I think Anderson was better Saturday. I also wrote the day before Leinart had separated himself from Anderson. I’m not sure if you were even there Saturday (which, if you weren’t, you have no ability to judge) and I’m not sure you read all my stuff. If you aren’t at every practice (so you could assess Leinart yourself) and you’re not reading all my stuff, aren’t you doing the same thing you are accusing me of — making a judgment without looking at all the evidence?

54. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Cardsftw –

No way Anderson isn’t gonna be the back-up for this team. The coaches clearly want an experienced veteran QB on the team and Anderson is it.

55. By Scappoose Joe on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Don’t worry fans, Anderson will be the starter by the
    first regular season game. Now that he has some receivers, he will shine.

2. Aug 7, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com
  3. Aug 9, 2010: Arizona Cardinals Contributing Rookies | NFL Mocks | Covering the 2011 NFL Draft & Your #1 NFL Mock Draft Database