Baggs taking nothing for granted

Posted by Darren Urban on August 7, 2010 – 8:01 am

It was a typical interview after practice Friday, with questions about fighting to make the roster and assessing how his play had been thus far in Flagstaff. Linebacker Stevie Baggs was coming off what looked like his best practice of camp, and the former CFL star was asked — after spending seven years playing everywhere else trying to get a training camp shot in the NFL — if he was getting any chance to enjoy the moment.

“I had a real, real emotional moment in my room today,” Baggs said. “Just thinking about how, on my worst day, it’s somebody else’s paradise. My aunt passed from cancer last August …”

Baggs actually looked away for a few seconds, trying not to let the emotion — or the tears fighting to get out — take over.

“Even when I can’t play football, man,” he continued, “I still have my life, my strength. Those are the types of things I was thinking about. I think about it often. ‘To whom much is given, much is required.’ If you want a lot in life, if you want a lot in what you do, you have to put in and work.”

Baggs is growing comfortable in what he is doing, even if the Cards have a logjam of outside linebackers. He is currently running third-team, behind starters Clark Haggans and Joey Porter, and backups Cody Brown and Will Davis. But he should get some chances to play in games, and — as a defensive end racking up sacks during his Canadian Football League stint — has a definite knack to get to the quarterback. He thinks he has done well at practice, which he knows is important.

“I think you can make a ton of inroads, because if you don’t show up in practice, you won’t be here,” Baggs said. “You won’t make it to the game, truthfully.

“I’m just so excited about this opportunity to be here. I want to take advantage of every play, every rep, so I get get better. The more comfortable you are with the playbook, the more comfortable you are playing football. Simple as that. I’m just trying to do my due diligence.”

Tags:

32 Responses to “Baggs taking nothing for granted”

1. By Eric on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I got to meet Stevie Baggs at mini camp. He really is a great guy. I hope he makes the team and has a successful career with the Cardinals.

2. By Kurt on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Wow, very grounded, we’re pulling for you Stevie

3. By Davy on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I agree this kid seems like a great kid. I am really pulling for him to make it. Great story and a great guy. If there is karma out there this guy will be on the team. Good luck Stevie.

4. By KingJM on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Stevie is one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met. I met him at the draft party and I got his autograph. I love his attitude

5. By Joe-B on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I want to see him make the team.

6. By cardattac on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Will I must say I am really looking forward to seein how he adapts to the NFL. I’m sure with less bodies on the field and the field itself bein smaller it has to be a pretty significant change. That being said I would feel he should have a pretty good advantage. I hope he cane make on the squad man. He seems like pretty cool cat.

7 years removed from college and finally he got into a NFL training camp. That’s a pretty long time. I know plenty of guys who would have givin up long ago. The guy is ready. Now with more then just college experience under his belt. But the CFL too.

Good luck dude you deserve it!!!

7. By phoenixraven1 on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

This guy is incredible…I hope we don’t let this one slip through the cracks. I think he’s a great locker room guy and a great pass rusher. Post Porter era is what we need to be thinking so this should be our vetran guy who keeps Cody, Will, and Schofield in line for a few years after Porter is gone.

8. By kingdiamond on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Stevie is looking better than Cody and maybe even Will. It looks like he has a real shot at making the team.

9. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Seems like a truly good guy and a very hard-working one at that. Great attitude. I’d love to see him get a chance to make a contribution here with the Cardinals. If not, maybe someone else will notice and he’ll get his shot somewhere else. The NFL is a better place when guys like this and their great stories are in it. It’s what made Kurt Warner probably one of the greatest stories ever!

Darren – Speaking of Warner…have you heard anything about him being enlisted to appear on Dancing With The Stars this season??? Mike & Mike reported it on ESPN radio earlier this week as “official” but I haven’t heard anything else, anywhere else. Lord knows, ESPN loves to jump the gun with stuff trying to be first, but…I had heard prior rumors that this was a possibility. Anything on this? I really was hoping that if anyone named Warner was going to be on that show, it was gonna be Brenda! I really don’t see what this does for Kurt but Im pretty sure I’m gonna get an awful lot of verbal abuse from friends over this! Sigh…that man could still be playing QB in the NFL and he’d rather do THIS instead???

10. By Barry Bond on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

I hope Steve Baggs does well and shows us a rush. I heard he was good playing up in Canada? I am also thinking about getting another jersey but I want it to be an up and rising star not yet known in the NFL? I say that could be a dark horse. How about young Stephens-Howlings? I was at that game last year when he caught a TD pass from Warner coming out of the back field, a great catch and effort to get into the end zone. This guy has got talent especially at 5-7. LaRod I think could be another Darren Sproles (SD Chargers)? They both can run the ball and are very good pass receivers. I like what I have read from Coach Whiz comment? Number 36 might just surprise a few teams this year so we don’t want to show him to much on tape yet? Coach likes what he has seen of him in camp so far. Go Stephens-Howlings Go! I am pulling for you.

11. By darrenurban on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

I don’t have anything “official” but I was hearing more than a month ago it might happen.

12. By Dora on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Stevie is exactly the player, role model, and athlete any team would be gracious to receive. Looking at what is has done outside of the NFL is incredible and the journey along with the determination this man has is unstoppable. He wants this more than ever and it shows. There is no doubt that he will set out to do exactly what he intends… and that Dominate. This is a perfect example of self determination and trust in God. Good luck to you Stevie… you are truly Blessed

13. By johnnybluenose on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

stevie baggs was a great player for the saskatchewan roughriders and we expect him to do well as an arizona cardinal. he plays with pride. go stevie !!

14. By peyotesunset on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

in reference to scott h’s comment about kurt appearing on “dancing with the stars”, kurt doesn’t have to worry about blindside hits from 300 lbs. linemen on dancing with the stars. i think at this point in his life kurt just wants to keep all of his “marbles” all together.

15. By kelly on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Stevie is a real class guy and had a great career up here with our roughriders. Good luck to him.

16. By ShannonRobinson on Aug 7, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Kelly for the intel – After watching some defensive line work in Canada, my impression is a defensive end is covering space like a stand up outside linebacker in the NFL. I think the Baggs pickup was an artfull move – a fast one. I’m really rooting for Stevie Baggs!

17. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

peyote -

Hey, whatever Kurt decides to do….he’s earned it. I admit, I’m just un-happy that he walked away when he still had one year to go, per his contract. he could walk back on the field today and he’s right back in the top 10 QB’s in this league. And as long as he was under center, the Cardinals were definitely one of the top dogs in the NFC. Can’t really have that feeling yet about Leinart because he just hasn’t done it yet. It was hard to give that feeling up…but I wish Kurt the best, whatever he does. He’s earned the right to have a little fun and take it easy. As for the Cardinals, I am psyched for the Matt Leinart era to begin and maybe we will ALL be doin’ a Super Bowl dance if he can rise to the level in the NFL he played at at USC!!!

18. By Dwight-Moose Jaw on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Sorry to disapoint all of you,but Stevie Baggs is not all he seems to be.
    He isn’t good @ stopping the run, isn’t a great dressing room guy @ all.
    He told the press last season when he was with the Sask Roughriders(C.F.L.) that he should have been picked over John Chick as there nominee for the best D-Player on the team.
    He looks flashy, but I don’t think he will cut it in the N.F.L.

19. By Mike from Canada on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Stevie was a stud when he played for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Here’s hoping that Stevie makes good on his opportunity with the Cardinals!!

20. By Al Crighton on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck Stevie ! We miss you up here in Saskatchewan.

21. By POPO-ATL on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

WE’RE Truley proud of you. Continue the course. GOD SPEED!

22. By Rider Fan on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Stevie, if things dont work out there, the fans would love to have you back in Saskatchewan!

23. By B.Brown on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I have known Stevie for about 10 years,automaticly I knew he was a special athlete as well as a person.No is a word he has heard most of his pro football career……. But has never accepted ……Arizona is lucky to have Baggs. Keep ballin ” F.L Boy” love ya man

24. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Dwight-Moose Jaw -

I’m sorry, did you say he’s not a great dressing room guy??? Can you tell us what a great dressing room guy is, then??? You’re creepin’ me out just a liitle bit with this,dude…

25. By BCU Que on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I have watched Stevie since his first game at Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach. If the Cardinal orgination does the right thing and keep him, play him, he will get to the QB. He was a sack master in high school, college, and the Canadian league….They call him Shakespear because all that he does is Make plays!!! Go Baggs

26. By ATLSupport on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

When God is for you who can be against you? No man can keep you from your God given destiny Stevie! If God determined that His promises for your life should have taken 7 years, He will without a doubt fulfill His promises and do exceedingly abundantly above what you could have asked Him for in your life. Have a blessed experience, Atlanta will be rooting for you!

27. By ATL on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

To Dwight-Moose Jaw we are just wondering why are you still following Stevie if you think he is not a good guy? Or could it be that you have an agenda to try and damage his character Stevie is covered and what God has for him is for him perhaps John Chick would appreciate you as a fan I’m sure he has a sight or a blog.

28. By RoughridersSk on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Both Stevie and John Chick were game changers for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the CLF last year. Of course we’d love to still have them on the squad this year, but I’m excited to see how they do with the Cardinals and Colts respectively. They were utterly dominant at times last season! Good luck Stevie!

29. By Steve Bunka on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I am from Saskatoon and Stevie played for our Roughriders in the CFL and he was awesome!!
    His spin move to get to the quarterback is unbelievable . He was paired with John Chick who was the cfl outstanding defensive player last year and is now signed to the Colts ( with a nice million dollar signing bonus) .
    These two players formed one of the most dynamic defensive duos in CFL history.
    Part of me wants to be selfish and have Stevie come back here to help us win the Grey Cup ,but his pay scale ( even being 3rd in the depth chart) will afford him a much better life than CFL pay .
    Keep an eye on this guy and get him into the games and you will not be dissapointed, being a stand up guy off the field doesn’t hurt either.
    Make sure you guys check out some more future NFLers on the NFL network this year as they are broadcasting CFL games south of the boarder

30. By Brett - RIders fan on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

As people have already said, Stevie and John Chick were both great players and either one could have won the outstanding defensive player. Unfortunately some fans feel that stevie wasn’t appreciative of being a runner up. From all reports i have seen or read he is the ultimate team player just like John Chick and there can only be one winner.
    I am starting to watch NFl for the first time to see how Stevie does down there as other fans have said i think that given the chance he will be a force and a fan favourite….. I would love to see him back here as would any of the Rider fans. He has left big shoes to fill and he will be missed but we all wish him the best in his career and life.

31. By Darcy on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Stevie hope ya make the cards i will be cheering for you as loud and proud as i did when you were a Roughrider gl to ya remember theres always room for you in green if things don’t work out

32. By ToddC - Saskatchewan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Stevie, I hear you’ll clear Waivery tomorrow, and we’d LOVE to have you back in Green. We really need you, especially with the game against Calgary coming up this weekend. I know it won’t be ‘Cards Money’, but we certainly could use you up here. Most importanly, you WILL be playing, and you WILL be the man!