A week of impressions

Posted by Darren Urban on August 8, 2010 – 10:30 am

The Cardinals are off until Monday, when they return with two practices. By then, coach Ken Whisenhunt and assistants Matt Raich, Kevin Spencer, Mike Miller and Chad Grimm will be back from Canton where they attended the induction ceremony for Russ Grimm. So too will players Alan Faneca, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans, who went for both Grimm and their former Steelers coach Dick LeBeau.

By then, I’ll be back in Flagstaff too.

Anyway, it’s a good time to assess where the Cards are (although it’s only fair to note Whisenhunt’s point that you don’t want to too quickly judge anything). But remember, these are just my opinions and not absolutes, so please, no wagering.

I suppose we start with the quarterbacks. While Derek Anderson did lead the offense to the lone touchdown Saturday, I still think Leinart played a bit better during the week as a whole. And the way Whisenhunt talked about Leinart after Saturday’s work  — “I thought Matt did good” and “We just have to look at the tape and correct it and move forward” – sounded like Leinart remains in good standing. We’re not going to know until the preseason games anyway.

The battle between Max Hall and John Skelton is going to be very interesting. I don’t know if Skelton can really “catch” Hall before the regular season, given how much experience Hall had in college compared to Skelton’s experience. But Skelton’s potential is the wild card here.

For now, Tim Hightower remains running with the No. 1, but Beanie Wells has gotten reps with the starters. It truly feels like a split situation, which is probably how it will be during the season (although Beanie will end up with more carries, I am sure).

Whisenhunt isn’t necessarily going to mix and match his offensive linemen. I will be surprised if the line changes much to be honest; I think extra weight or no Deuce Lutui has looked pretty good thus far. Then again, he has been going against the “2s” a lot of the time. Deuce vs. Reggie Wells will be the battle of the preseason, but the weight thing is going to be a factor.

The Cards need some health. They are short at tight end and fullback going into the second week. Whisenhunt already said he doesn’t want to make a roster move; they need Anthony Becht and/or Jim Dray to come back.

The cornerback position is definitely one to watch. DRC is fine and we all know that. Other than that … I have said this many times before and I’ll say it again, I still think this team chases a cornerback at the end of preseason – someone released by another team — that will be in the mix.

Now, at linebacker, it may be a little different. Not having Gerald Hayes is still a concern (especially reports he will be out into September, and even then he’ll be so far behind physically). But there is a better feeling about Paris Lenon after a week of camp. We’ll see if the Cards look at bringing in an inside ‘backer on the waiver wire too.

Before I forget, Dustin Stover wants everyone to know he’s OK and was back to work both Friday afternoon and Saturday. Who is Dustin you ask? He’s the ball boy. He actually wouldn’t mind seeing video just to see what happened. And everything is good between him and Skelton. (Oh, and we have a photo too? Sorry Dustin).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

73 Responses to “A week of impressions”

1. By Greg Skorupski on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I’m still not sure about Lienart. The reports are good but what it comes down too is can he produce. If he can’t I wouldn’t be suprised to see Derek Anderson to be starting by game five at the latest. Why bring a young former Pro-bowler if he is going to be riding the pine. Matt this is a warning buddy. The pressure is on so its time to shine or move it on down the road. Ken won’t hesitate to pull you so its all on you Mr. First roud pick!!

2. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Greg —

I like Derek, but let’s not go overboard. He was a Pro Bowler in 2007. His two seasons since are anything but.

3. By Brad O'Neill on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I can’t see them giving up on toler just yet. If an exceptional corner came available of course they would look at it, but Toler definitely has the upside to make giving him some on the field seasoning worth it in my opinion even if it costs us some points.

as for Matt the pressure is going to keep building and getting worse. this is just the begining i guarantee by this time next month we will know how he responds to suffocaton. The coach is going to try to control it to some degree but i think wiz would like to test his metal now instead of in a playoff race. if matt makes it through the next month i think he will have been babtised by fire and the pressure of the playoffs will be nothing compared to what he has already seen.

Im glad to hear dustin is ok.

4. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

Toler isn’t going anywhere. I am not saying they’d boot him to the side. If they brought in a guy and he was good enough, he’d be used with Toler and DRC.

5. By Tony on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren,The real reason why his past two season haven’t fared is look at the team he was on.. He didn’t have weapons or the talent around him like he does now. When he gets his chance he’s gonna explode.

6. By Brent on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

What is your impression of who looks better between Beanie and THT? Who looks sharper and having the better camp thus far?

7. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Tony —

I won’t argue he didn’t have much around him. But I have talked to people that said that the talent around him in 2007 actually helped him because Joe J, Winslow and Edwards made catches on balls most receivers might have missed. And there is real concern of his accuracy. We’ll see.

8. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Brent —

They both look sharp to me. I do think Beanie will have a big year but I like Hightower’s game.

9. By Paul on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

If the team decides to keep 4 QB’s active, I don’t see how they will be able to have a roster spot for “just” a punt returner. That means that S. Breaston may still have to be our punt returner. With the new kid Williams looking good so far, they may be able to give Steve less snaps from scrimmage to give him a rest. He may not like that but he would still be able to return punts. If the teams tries to put one of the QB’s on the practice squad then I think they will be snapped up by another team. It’s going to be a tough decision.

10. By Aaron on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, sounds kinda like another Pro Bowler we picked up a few years ago who’s last two seasons had been anything but Pro Bowl years. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Anderson ever was or will be what Warner was (and still could be). I’m just saying this team has proven a QB can have renewed success in the desert.

Anderson had a lot of talent around him in 2007, and I don’t argue that those other players helped him be better. But was that talent any better than Fitz, Breaston, Beanie, Hightower, LSH, etc? I’d say absolutely not, and while
    I believe Leibart needs a shot to prove whether or not we renew his contract I believe Anderson is a better QB and will eventually win out. I just hope it’s not in November when we are 2-6 or 3-5.

11. By JohnO on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

My biggest question mark is about Faneca. Seems like everything I read anything about him, it is about Campbell getting the better of him. Has Campbell improved that much and/or would it be better to put someone else in at Fanecas position?

12. By Deveau on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

First, that’s great news on Dustin. Secondly, do you believe with the injury to Hayes and their lack of depth, they address that in next year’s draft? Lastly, with Leinart faltering a bit in scrimmage, do you feel that will increase the number of snaps he takes in pre-season games?

Regards,

Cris

13. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Paul —

They will never put four QBs on the roster.

14. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

JohnO —

I think I want to see Faneca in games.

15. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

I do think they address it in the draft, yes. I don’t think Saturday changes any previously held plans.

16. By John on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Haven’t had a chance to answer back from earlier post about trading for Bailey. Again, what I hear is Bailey wants a 3-4 year deal(he is in his last year) and Broncos are not willing. Bailey is still considered in the top ten as a CB.
    What do I give up? I would offer the same deal that sent Boldin to the Ravens. As for money, I’m sure he wants to get paid. With the money we cleared from Dansby, Boldin, Rolle, Gandy, Berry, Okefer, we should have some money to make both Dockett and Bailey happy.

I’m not a Leinart believer. If we are to win this year, we need a much improved defense. We are weak at CB. We need a move and not much left in free agency. In an uncapped year, not going to be much cut due to money.

Let’s make a deal.

17. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Nice reply to Greg and right on the mark. Anderson, Braylon Edwards and the Browns all had a great 2007…and none of them have been heard from since! Hey, I’m glad to have Anderson as the back-up and hopefully he’s someone we can count on if we need him for a game or two. But let’s not forget – he was with the BROWNS!!! If he were truly a starting caliber QB, why did the BROWNS feel the need to move on from Anderson??? And why weren’t more teams clamoring for his services when he was available???

18. By Thomas77 on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I know I’m only basing this on yesterdays practice, but I think Max Hall may very well get the nod over Skelton. The only concern I have is his height; although, Mcnabb, Brees, and Romo aren’t that much taller.

I’m still pulling for Matt, but, to use Whiz’s favorite term, “I’m encouraged” by how Derek looked during the scrimmage yesterday. Even though most of his reps were with the second team, he did have a few with the first.

Stephen Williams ain’t going anywhere….

19. By matt m. on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    How has Herman Johnson been looking in camp? I know he has no chance of starting this year but do you consider him a project or a ligitament contributor this year? I kind of think of him as a toler on the o-line

20. By cardattac on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Man it sucks to hear every one baggin on Leinart!!! Has any one followed his start in 06 and finish in 07?? Comin in under Denny Green!?!?! What did you expect?? Cut the guy some slack man. I remember the only stat he had last year (against Huston) That our D lost for us. Matt had a good game. Also a pre season game last year he put up over 300 yards and 3 TDs in one half of foot ball against the Pack!!! Another game I seem to remember our D dropping for us.

If you ask me our D better be dominating!!! They had better take charge of our team. Cuz they “dropped the ball” a number of times last year. In the long run we need them more then ever. I am willing to deal with some loses… but I am so sick of seein our guys get scored on with ease. Maybe I speak for myself but C’Mon guys. Dont be so quick to drop him.

I only heard of one bad practice from him…. This last one. At the end of a long, hard ass week, dealing with our guys on D every day. Matt will be fine guys.

GO CARDS!!!

21. By R Robles on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Its Is Good To Hear Our Defence Is Dominating The Offence I Always Think Should Be Better Thats What Makes The Offence Better You Know Offence Needs To Balance Itslef Thats It Simple Adjustments Thats It We Cant Have A Good defence With A Weak Offence. Darren Any Word On Special Teams How Are They Doing When Are Depth Charts Out?

22. By chem dawg on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

faneca does have a ring. i agree darren, let me answer john o’s other question for you if you dont mind !! lol
    i seen campbell progress the past 2 seasons. starting 15 games in 09 w/ 48 tkls an 7 sacks. i think this will be a breakout year for him.

how does levi look at the left side darren ?? and is bridges pancaking anybody in the run game yet??

23. By Greg Skorupski on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Give the kid a chance! Lienart will never have the arm strangth of Anderson. Matt can’t even throw a skinny post. I’m just saying i think Derek is a better fir for this team and offensive style. Aaron I like the reference to Warner but let’s see if he gets the job before we start making those comparisons.

24. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

John —

Is Champ still a top 10 CB? Probably. Will he be next year when he is 33? Hmmm. The next year at 34? Probably not. He not only wants a 3-to-4-year deal but he wants big money. The longer the deal, the more guaranteed money. I wouldn’t be dumping two picks and paying big money to make my defense that much older for what might be a one-year fix. I agree they need a corner. I don’t agree in ravaging future drafts for it. If you’re not a Leinart believer, you wouldn’t be either — because without solid QB play, this team is going nowhere no matter what the defense looks like.

25. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Scott H, Greg —

I tend to agree with Scott’s last point. Regardless, I am not trying to trash Derek. He was the better quarterback in Saturday’s work, and while he was going against the second-unit defense, he was also playing with the second string offense. Might Derek end up starting at some point? Sure. Do I agree that Whisenhunt will go to Anderson if Leinart flops? Of course he will. But I am also one of those people that prefers to go with how the coaches see it, and right now, they clearly are favoring Leinart — at least for now.

26. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Matt M —

Herman was one of two people that arrived to camp overweight (with Deuce) and I think that was disappointing to coaches. I think they see him like Brandon Keith. This will be another learning year for Herman with 2011 a target year, I would think.

27. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

R Robles —

Depth charts will be out by the end of the week. Special teams can only be assessed in games.

28. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Chem —

Whiz praised Levi the other day. He seems fairly solid. Bridges is the emotional leader of the o-line, I’d guess.

29. By Richard S on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

The Niner’s had a backup inside linebacker go down with a season ending injury too, so I guess since their record was worse than ours, they’d get a first crack off the waiver wire of any inside LB released, not?

30. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Richard S —

That is correct.

31. By james on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

darren,

i watched a little bit of russ grimms induction but i was wondering if any cards made the trip to show support?

32. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

James —

I could’ve sworn I wrote about it above.

33. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

At the Friday morning practice, AJ Jefferson and Onrea Jones were backing up LaRuSH on kickoff returns.(And man, they had LaRod doing EVERYTHING that morning.) Has Justin Miller received any practices for that spot? I thought he led in average one year.
    Just one man’s opinion, but I like Skelton over Hall. Max may have the intangibles, but seeing him and Stephens-Howling in the same backfield kinda looked like Pop Warner vs. the NFL.(Size-wise)
    And John has that rocket arm, yet longer windup than Max, that the “BallBoy”, couldn’t turn around fast enough to catch with his two extremities.(well, you know…)
    Darren, what were they aiming at anyways? The goal posts? Between the college and pro goal posts? Other than obviously Dustin.

34. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

Not sure what they were trying to hit. I think it was the posts tho.

35. By Jason on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I hate that everyone dumps on leinhart in these blogs. Leinhart had a good start to his career before the injuries and then could never beat out Warner. In his limited opportunities during his back up role he has not played well, but, he is not a lost cause. If you remember he played well against Tennessee as a last minute fill and did not take first team snaps. Everyone praises Whiz on here and he is confident going with Leinhart so if you are real fans support your team and your QB.

36. By Aaron on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Don’t ignore the last 2 sentences of my first paragraph – I wasn’t comparing Anderson’s abilities to Warner but rather the story. A QB with past success but recent failure doesn’t necessarily mean the QB can’t be great again, and we’ve recently had that proven right here in our desert.

Is that what would happen if he had a chance? Who knows, but I’d say he has more talent around him here than he had in 2007. But don’t forget, he’s the only QB on our roster who has stayed healthy and played consistently through the end of a season…

37. By John on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Jim McMahon, Doug Williams, Jeff Hosteter, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson. What do they all have in common?
    You know the answer. Average or below average QB’s, who benefited from good run games and great defenses who went on to win Superbowls. Look at those last two, Dilfer and Johnson. Tampa and Ravens defenses won games. So, even though, I don’t believe in Leinart, doesn’t mean we cant win.

So what is missing on this defense? Why did the saints and packers pick us apart? We needed a passrush and cbs. Agree?
    With the addition of Porter and the return of second rounder Cody Brown, to go with Campbell and Dockett, we hopefully took care of that. But we did nothing in the way of fixing the secondary. DRC is amazing. But he might end up with the Deion treatment. No one throwing to his side. Toler is a project. Yes, it is tough to give away draft picks. But I think we can win now if we solved this issue.
    Bailey helps us win now. In two years, Rhodes moves on and Bailey gives way at CB and moves to Safety, just like Aeneas Williams, Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders.

I think with a bold move like this, our defense takes the next step. Along with a “possible” power running game, Leinart could hit Larry enough to take us far in the playoffs. Maybe all the way.

38. By georgiebird on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

The Cards may try to make up for lack of talent at CB and ILB with an overly aggressive defense. The danger here is the good offensive teams will employ misdirection plays to counter. QB bootlegs (with either pass or run) have hurt the Cardinals in the past when the D has tried to be too aggressive to the ball.

That leads to my next question- in practice does the Cardinals O try to run misdirection plays to beat an aggressive defense or do they run/pass plain vanilla into the defense?

39. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Georgie —

They run the whole playbook, once it is installed.

40. By John on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Jason,
    If we are real fans, you will support your QB?
    I would have bought in to this had I not sat in 120 degree weather and watched how Tom Tupa was the answer, or Stoney Case or Timm Rosenbach, Jay Schroeder, Stan Gelbaugh, Kent Graham, Boomer Esiason, and Josh McCown. All of these guys had praise from their coaches and were going to be the answer.

Sometimes, you have to trust your eyes and not your heart. Warner was 5-4 in the NY Giants conservative offense, but the Giants decided to go with Manning cuz they knew it was what was best for the future. Warner might have taken the Giants to the playoffs, but they made the decision to go with the franchise QB. In our case, Warner was flat out better and it seemed the Cards never thought of making that move.

Now, in year 5, questions still surround Leinart. He still isn’t where they want him to be. Name one QB , who was a top pick, who by year 5 has not established himself in the league and I’ll show you a guy who never made it. Please anyone?

Sorry, facts are facts. I hope I’m wrong. I hope he lights up the sky and someday we are retiring his number like we did Gonzo’s last night for the the DBacks. (great job Chris Young). I love the cards and after 18years of season tickets, I still root with my heart. But maybe we need to trust our eyes with Matty.

41. By Dylan on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

John-

alright trust your eyes then come on dude have you not read or seen all the stuff he has done this off season to show he can be the starter… he had one bad day in a week in practice and your going off on him and calling for DA im pretty sure you did the same when warner first came in and didn play to great you called for ML so give him the chance he has earned he has played good his rookie season he played better then peyton manning did and look at the cardinals team then. ML is more a gamer not some dude that plays great in practice. just sit back and watch the coach because there is a reason why ken is the coach and your not….

42. By Sedona Chris on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

One question for you DA faithfuls… are you assuring our success should we opt for him as our starter… has your crystal ball guaranteed our victory? Leinart has proven numerous things over the last couple years riding the pines… first- he put aside his partying and has been working diligently to rectify bad habits both on and off the field… Warner took him under wing and told him everything there is to know about being successful in the NFL… remember Warner’s last first round pick protege, a guy by the name of Eli Manning… Leinart has all the tools necessary to be successful in this offense, on top of the fact that he’s spent the last few years immersed in it… if Whiz said he won’t work, I’m certain the front office would’ve made a move after all coach has done for us… I expect both Leinart, and the Cards, to do very well this year… We’ll have balance on both our offense and defense… a proven formula for any successful team…

Darren- do you think the impending match up between DRC and Andre Johnson will give us a better gauge at where DRC is in his rehab, as well as his confidence in his repaired knee? I have read through your updates, as well as various other sports pages, that he is nearing the 100% mark… just wondering if you have heard anything new… also… i never read what the severity of the damage to the roof was, just what you reported in your initial blog about it

43. By Chris B on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

John,
    Didn’t Brees struggle for the first 4-5 yrs? He is a 10yr vet who only in the past 2 yrs has come around. There, you have a name.

44. By darrenurban on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Sedona —

I think for the stars, preseason efforts mean little.

As for the roof, it will be fine for the game.

45. By Peter in Canada on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

A couple of posters have said that Leinart played well against Tennessee. I don’t agree as the offense only scored one touchdown and one field goal, which won’t win many games. The second TD came on a kick off return. I thought he was handicapped by ultra conservative play calling. The point I’m making is that nobody really knows how he’ll work out because of insufficient evidence. In the last two years when the Cards became good he didn’t play enough. All we can do as fans is to be patient, trust management and see how it all plays out.

46. By John on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Chris B.

Wow are you off.First, Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick. He started all 16 games his second year throwing for 3284 yds and 17 tds. By his forth year, he threw for 3159 yds and 27 tds to 7 ints.
    Do you have a real name? Brees? yeah, I wish Leinart had Brees’s first 4 years.

As for DA, not a huge fan either. That is why I have been saying to pick defense in the draft, FA, and trades. I think we must run , play defense, and not turn over the ball. That is why the third round pick for a wr, who may be our 5th wideout was so disappointing.

Can we win with Leinart? Yes. Is Leinart going to make us forget Warner? No. Are we going to win shootouts with Leinart? no. He is Trent Dilfer. A serviceable QB. Lets hope he doesnt throw int’s at the goalline.

47. By georgiebird on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Kurt Warner played great QB for the Cardinals but he struggled at first until he started wearing the velcro gloves.
    The bottom line for QB:
    1) if the Cardinals “D” is tight then I feel Matt will be OK with a running/passing mix.
    2) if the “D” is going to be like 2009 then DA will be the QB-he’s more capable of high scoring games and probably more mistakes (the good and bad).

My feeling for 2010 is the “D” will be spotty and give up big plays so I see DA as the eventual winner. You can’t expect Matt to be a “shootout” QB like Kurt-that’s not his strong suit- and Kurt was probably one of the best ever.

48. By John on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

Dylan,
    I also read all the things Timm Rosenbach did in camp. How did that work out? Is this your big point? ( He is not partying, so he will be a good QB)

As for Whiz, what choice does he have? Should he tell the team Leinart sucks and we can’t throw the ball? What do you think he is going to say? Think about it. Remember, Whiz did not draft him. All he has seen is a high draft pick, who has failed to impress.

4 years down . This is his 5th year. He has this year and next on his contract, meaning a big year equals a big payday. He needs to light up the Rams on opening day.
    No, I’m not yelling for DA. I’m yelling for them to give the ball to Tim and Beanie. I’m also looking forward to drafting Locker, Luck, or Mallet next year.

49. By Joe-B on Aug 8, 2010 | Reply

I love how everyone gets so worked up over a little scrimmage game in the first week of practice… The bashing Leinart gets from Cardinals fans reminds me of how much some people in Philly hated McNabb.

50. By Dan on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Poor ball boy, at least he lived up to his name….ouch.

51. By Force Factor on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I really think that everyone needs to have a little more patience with Matt. He is not Kurt and shouldn’t be expected to carry the team. If he just grows into the position and does not lose games for us in the first 5 or 6 weeks, then that in itself will be a victory. This team is no longer Kurt Warner and his high flying circus. It will probably end up being for the better in the long run because we will win more games with ball control and an aggressive defense. Shoot outs are nice, but I would rather win a 13-10 game than lose 56-49.

52. By Don on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I been wondering how has A.J. Jefferson been doing..His size and athletic ability seem intriguing enough to maybe make a decent corner..Is he getting any reps or is he only there for special teams?

53. By John on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Leinart hasn’t done anything to be compared to the probowler McNabb. McNabb lead his team to division titles and to a superbowl. Leinart has failed to impress anyone and has held a clip board for the last 3 years. McNabb played well with little talent at wr. Leinart had Boldin and Fitz and still did not impress. McNabb is a success, who was booed by Philly. Leinart has never been successful here. That is a horrible comparison.

I guess some of you point at last years Tennessee game. Thats where he put up a big 220 yards and NO TD’s. Not exactly earthshattering numbers. What about the Green Bay game where he put up 94 yards and 2 picks? Or when he was handed the job in preseason and was horrible against a really bad Raiders team? He has never had a year where he has thrown more TDs than Ints.

One day doesnt define anyone. It is his body of work. This is his 5th year. Can you point at anything he has done as a pro that makes you think he can be good?

54. By card62 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Leinart Leinart Leinart

I think some of you get too concerned when we discuss Matt, and our concerns. We all have watched Leinart these 4 seasons so we have to question if he can lead our team. We all root for Leinart success and now Derek Anderson to be successful and one hit on Leinart and Anderson is our starter. Leinart is story line # 1 of our camp we all know this so we watch and we discuss. I think it is very very important for Matt to have a good camp and play well in preseason games so that he is confident for the Rams. I think we are fortunate to start the season with the Rams. Balance offense yes, and Matt is not Kurt Warner, but I think Matt can throw the ball 30 to 40 times a game and we can win games by 7 or more points. I wish I could tell all of you I know Matt is a probowl QB and will lead us to a 13-3 season, but I don’t. I sure hope he does. We have a very good team and I am excited about this season. We have questions about our team, but overall a very good time to be a Cardinal Fan and to be thinking positive about the 2010 season.

55. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Don —

He’s getting a little work. He’s got a chance. Maybe practice squad? With the CB situation, maybe he can make an impact.

56. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

John –

I don’t get your whole point about how there are still so many questions about Leinart after 4-5 years in the league… just out of curiosity, did ya happen to notice a guy named Kurt Warner wearing #13 playing at an absolute elite level for this team since week 5 of 2007??? Well, there’s the answer to all of your questions. It was kinda hard for Leinart to get on the field with Warner healthy and playing as well as he ever has. That’s no shame on Leinart. The way Warner was playing over the past three years, he would have played a LOT of QB’s onto the bench and kept them there. Forget all your questions, I just gave ya the answer. Just relax and give the kid the fair chance he deserves.

57. By Fat Paulie on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

To John:

Your perception into Matt Leinart is dead on target. This guy is a Brian Bosworth in disguise. Now that Warner is gone he will be shown to the world. He is a disaster waiting to push us back to 4-12. He never has looked good in the few times he got in. He tears it up in preseason then runs for his confused life when the defenses come in hungry. Whisenhunt and the fornt office knows this they obviously can not say it. He would have been the biggest bust in the first round had it not been for Warner and his three years of making sure Leinart doesn’t embarasse himself. Absolutley, without a doubt, I have no confidence in his abilities at all, he will be scared, confused and think only of a cool buzz and a tasty wave in Southern California. Our fairy tale goes on hold until we take the redbird off his helmet, no way, the dictionalry defines a Lienart as a bonafide lose, cabable of making all the wrong decisions.

58. By Chris B on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Jim Kelley- you could make a case for 4-5yrs
    Warren Moon- 5-6yrs
    Joe Namath- not the same game but had ONE yr where his TD/INT was positive
    Bart Starr- 6-7 yrs
    Fran Tarkenton – 4 yrs
    Joe Theisman- 6 yrs

Want more names? Granted, Brees was shooting from the hip. These, some open to debate, other the # speak for themselves.

No one cares if you think Leinart is a good player or not. The only way we find out is this year. If he is good, GREAT! If he sucks, fine we move on. But you cant say every great QB established himself by their 5th yr or sooner. Not everyone is Farve, Warner, Marino or Manning.

59. By Fat Paulie on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

HNumber 7 is not lucky for us, number 13 was, He honestly looks scared back there, confident but white as a ghost.

60. By Alan on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

John,

Why do you want Leinart to fail? He is a Cardinal! You said that Leinart hasn’t done anything. That isn’t true.

Matts rookie season • In 2006, became the first Cardinals QB since Jake Plummer in 2001 to have three games in a season with a 100+ QB rating (all were in his final six starts of ’06).
    • Became the first rookie in NFL history to throw for over 400 yards in a game when he passed for 405 at Minnesota on 11/26/06. The previous league record belonged to Plummer who threw for 388 yards against the New York Giants on 11/16/97. Leinart’s record has since been surpassed by Detroit’s Matthew Stafford (422 yards).
    • Leinart’s 2,547 yards passing in 2006 also broke Plummer’s franchise rookie record of 2,203 yards, set in 1997.
    • Became first QB in NFL history to throw two TD passes in the first quarter of each of his first two games when he did it in 2006 vs. Kansas City and Chicago.

He was beat out of a starting job by one of the best QB’s to play the game. There is no shame in that.

61. By Fight ON! on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Funny how Matt was neck and neck vs kurt a few years ago yet struggling this camp…maybe he’s having a hard time because he put in so much extra time working out and the scare of his dad’s heart condition and quadruple bi-pass, the Leinarts are a close family.

62. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Can we all just agree to put this discussion on hold until, say, November when we will truly KNOW for sure how Matt Leinart is doing??? Clearly, some of us think he can, some of us think he can’t. At this point, we all have an opinion and that’s fine. But none of us KNOW anything, and we’re not gonna KNOW anything until well into the season. Predicting the Cardinals in the Super Bowl is idiotic right now. Predicting a 4-12 season is even more idiotic right now. So…let’s all take a break from being idiotic and focus on something else – LIKE BEANIE WELLS BEING CARTED OFF THE DAMN FIELD WITH A RIB INJURY!!! Gulp.

63. By brad oneill on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

4- 12 is ok with me as long as we win against the 49ers twice the cowboys once and the saints once. ;)

64. By John on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Chris B and Allen

At least Allen has an argument that makes sense. To say Leinart had one of the best rookie seasons for a Cards QB is at least something to point at. But , you have to be honest, he was named the starter with Whiz. He played bad and was injured in game 5. He was again the starter in preseason and flopped badly, ending with that horrible showing in the game against the raiders. Yes warner was playing well, but would Kurt have even got a chance if Leinart would have taken the reins and played well? No. Kurt didn’t steal the job, Leinart didn’t take it.

Now Chris B. this is a very bad argument you pose. More than Half the guys you have listed were not first round picks. I asked for you to give me top picks. Might need to brush up on the reading skills. Next, some of the guys like Young, Kelly and Moon choose to play for other leagues because they were handed tons of money. Aikman, Elway, no one doubted these guys were the franchise.
    Aaron Rodgers is interesting. They chose not to bring back Farve because the Pack believed in him. They saw Rodgers talent.
    Do you think we would turn down Warner if he wanted to come back? What does that say about Leinart?
    Guys, look at last year. He got the start in Tennessee and the coach went ultra conservative. (not showing confidence) He put up no TD’s and 220 yards. He then knew he would play against GB. He went out and posted 94 yrds and no Td’s and 2 picks.
    There is no evidence at all that says he can play. No one nationally believes in him. I’ve watched this game too long to believe we have a qb, just because someone says he can do it. You can’t fake it in the NFL.
    So, Matty, prove me wrong

65. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

John –
    Gimme a break. The game against GB last year in Week 17 was even more worthless than a pre-season game. The Cardinals knew they were playing GB the very next week in the playoffs and they weren’t gonna show the Packers ANYTHING!!! They played the whole game out of totally basic sets on both sides of the ball. It was pure vanilla from start to finish. That game was a total throw away for the Cardinals. It sure as heck was NOT an opportunity for Leinart to show anything. Just give it a rest, dude. We can re-visit this after he’s played 8-10 games as a full-time starter. Basing your opinion on two games from last year? Please…BTW, the game against Tennessee? When did Leinart find out he was starting – about three hours before the game? Yeah, that gave him plenty of time to prepare, I’m sure.

66. By John on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

OK, Scott.
    But Leinart wont play 8 games. BTW, love the excuses. Cant wait to here the rest of them.

When Leinart was given the job in his third year in preseason, why didnt he hold on to it. It was his job to lose, even though Warner played well the year before.. And after a horrible camp and a mess of a game in Oakland, he lost it.

Answer this. Warner said I want to come back. Would you take him?

What does that say about Leinart? GB loved their young QB enough to say no to a first Ballot Hall Of Famer. Would this Coaching staff? Jay Glacier even reported the cards offered Warner a Farve like deal to come back amonth or two ago. Don’t know if it is true-but interesting.

Any more excuses? Go through all of Darren’s camp reports. You find several INT’s by Matt in camp, but I don’t read many TD’s by him. HMMM.

67. By Chris B on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

John,
    You’re arguing a point no one is standing against you on. You say Leinart is a bum and needs to prove everyone wrong. The most anyone is saying against your point is that Matt has shown, albeit little, that he COULD become a player.

OK, so I didn’t provide solid first round picks, my mistake. But I bet you can name at least as many guys who WERE first round picks that by their fifth year were gone from the game. Matt isn’t gone. Is that enough to book SB tickets, no. Is it enough to say, as you did, “Matty, prove me wrong.” Yes.
    Just because a few of us won’t flush him down the toilet like you want to doesn’t mean we disagree with your point. This is a contract year. The coaches see enough to pay him his salary (unlike Rolle, mind you) and give him his shot. The Cards could have released him and brought in McNabb, Delhomme, or could have drafted McCoy or Jimmy. If they honestly thought he was a true bust, they would have made other arrangements. And DA doesn’t really count as an “arrangement”.
    No one disagrees with you, so if you’re looking for me to say “you win the argument” then fine. You win.

68. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

John –
    By the way, it’s Jay Glazer. Not Glacier. One is a sports guy. The other is a big chunk of ice out in the ocean. That said, let’s see what else you are mistaken about…
    Do you REALLY think you’re making a point by asking if I would take Warner back right now if he wanted to play again??? My answer? Yes, I would. And? Now what? My gosh, you really broke me down with that one…I would take Warner back because – from all that we can tell – he is a better QB than Matt Leinart is right now. BTW, Warner is also probably a HOF candidate, but let’s not let that fact interfere with your warped logic.
    In early 2007, Leinart was struggling. We all know that. Warner was looking very sharp as a change-of-pace QB at that time. Despite that, Whiz was still sticking with Leinart as the starter. Warner didn’t take over until Leinart was hurt and done for the season. Going into 2008, coach Whiz did the right thing for this team by declaring an open competition. Warner won that battle fair and square and I’m REAL glad he did because the end result was a Super Bowl appearance for the Cardinals. Am I supposed to be unhappy about that???
    Again, we know all of this. I just don’t understand why you think this is such clear and irrefutable evidence that Matt Leinart is a bad QB. It proves that Kurt Warner is a better QB right now than Matt Leinart is, I suppose. Well, we thank you for telling us something we may have never known if you hadn’t pointed it out to us. But let’s not forget one thing – Kurt Warner is very proven. Matt Leinart is very UN-proven. For me, the discussion stops there. And there ain’t no use in talking anymore until he HAS had a chance to prove himself. That’s where I stand on this, that’s all I’m saying. He’s an un-proven player at this point. And that’s the ONLY thing anyone can say for sure about Leinart right now. Is that so wrong???

69. By Calling it out on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

I am sorry to say this but Leinart has had his chnaces. Its time for us to move on. There are big shoes to fill after last year and Leinart is not our guy. The sooner we understand that the better off we will be.

70. By Stlvinnie on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Sam Bradford will start and lead the St. Louis Rams to victory the Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals! http://bit.ly/9Ebx7i

2. Aug 9, 2010: #NFL News and Notes – August 9, 2010 | The Other 31
  3. Aug 9, 2010: Acrylic Sports - Around the NFC West: Leinart’s progress
  4. Aug 18, 2010: Home & Apartment Interior Design » Blog Archive » A week of impressions – AZCardinals.com