Beanie suffers rib injury UPDATE He’ll be OK

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2010 – 5:34 pm

UPDATE: Just talked to coach Ken Whisenhunt. Beanie Wells, who suffered a rib injury in practice (see details below), is only sore and will be day-to-day. A CT scan showed there is no fracture or other damage. “He just got hit on the ribs, and that’s football,” said Whisenhunt, who said Abdullah was just doing his job by getting in good tackling position and Beanie was running a bit too high.

—-

Not exactly how you want the afternoon practice to go: Running back Beanie Wells suffered a rib injury after being hit by safety Hamza Abdullah, and Wells was carted off for further examination.

Wells was sitting in the front seat of the cart, so it wasn’t like he was laid out. Abdullah went over to Wells, who was doubled over on the ground for a minute or two after it happened before gingerly standing up and walking off to the sideline.

“I just tried to to be in good tackling position and at the last minute, I guess instincts took over,” Abdullah said. “I didn’t get out of the way.

“Right now, I am just focused on Beanie and praying he is OK because that is not what I am out here to do, hurt anyone, especially one of my teammates. I want to practice the right way. Coach Whiz does a great job taking care of us.”

Abdullah said he knew right away something was wrong.

“He probably just wasn’t ready for the hit, and I didn’t go into it … my intentions weren’t to hit him and definitely not to hurt him,” Abdullah said. “Prayers go to him and hopefully he is OK.”

It was a normal 11-on-11 running play. Cameras were there, so I am guessing video will emerge eventually from a media outlet (UPDATE: And here it is, from KTAR’s Dave Burns). I don’t think this will be anything major. It could cost Beanie training camp time, yes (but even that isn’t for sure). I am guessing the next update won’t come until tomorrow when Whisenhunt addresses the throng at lunchtime.

Tags: , , ,

37 Responses to “Beanie suffers rib injury UPDATE He’ll be OK”

1. By thatsjustgreat on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I hope Hamza learned his lesson

2. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

QBs like Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselback and Donovan McNabb have suffered rib injuries lately, just depends on the location and pain tolerance of the individual.
    Either way he should be ready sooner than later.
    Love the user name “thatsjustgreat”, reminds me of the DBacks season.

3. By Boondock on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Another reason why Hamzah should get cut (reason 1 being Rashad Johnson)…

4. By CakesW on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

As long as it isn’t a 4-6 week injury… I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have your star RB miss some time of training camp. He’s going to get hit enough during the regualar season. Lets keep some wear and tear off of him.

5. By MUS on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

darren urban,
    do you know anything about hamza abdulah and wheter he will be fasting in the coming days?

6. By Scott H on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

i swear, I hate training camp!!! Every day, it’s just a process of praying one of your key guys doesn’t go down. You hear about at least one significant injury somewhere in the NFL every single day, it seems…you cringe every time you hear a camp report on ESPN or something because you dread hearing that it’s YOUR team this time. Well, Beanie is definitely NOT a name we want to be hearing right now. It seems to me that some guys just need to back off on the intensity a little bit. Yeah, I know it’s football, it’s physical, it’s intense, and many of these guys are trying to earn a job…but ya know what? I DON”T WANT TO HEAR IT! THESE ARE YOUR OWN DAMN TEAMMATES, MAN! BACK OFF!!!

7. By John on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

No one wants any injury for sure. However, thank goodness its not a leg or knee injury. Rib injuries are certainly painful but do heal quickly. The main thing is having Beanie ready for the opener.

8. By llllllllll on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

WTH is this dude thinking……Nice going Hamza, not the way to get noticed.

9. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I know you posted before I updated that Beanie is OK, but just so you know, Whiz absolved Abdullah of any wrongdoing. This wasn’t a Dockett-trips-Leinart thing.

10. By Joe-B on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Good news

11. By Fitz4Mtrushmore on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren I wonder if he will get a couple of carries Sat or will he sit as a precautionary measure. Sore ribs are verrrrrrrry painful!!!

12. By juan T. on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Off topic here urban, but I am assuming now that Ali highsmith was released. That makes Daryl washing 2nd string? does it look like he will get any 1st string shots?

13. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Fitz4 —

My guess is right now, no way he plays Saturday. No reason.

14. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Juan —

Daryl is officially second string yes. Lenon far ahead of him right now though.

15. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

MUS —

Story coming tomorrow.

16. By cardattac on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Man…. That…. Is….. some…. good news. My heart dropped a little when I thought it was his leg or knee. He should be fine in a couple of weeks. And as I am a huge Matty fan. I do believe that he will really need him back there with Tim if we hope to win.
    We need you Beanie!!! Stay strong dude and dont run standin strait up any more:)

Thank Darren….

I thought I was gonna have ta wait till tomorrow to find out how bad it was. Thanks mang. You have something new up every time I get on the site….. Which seems like every 30 minutes. lol Thanks again.

17. By carlo7000 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

dear darren
    if Lenon is far ahead of daryl washington is not a good signal for our second round pick…i mean lenon is not patrick willis or ray lewis.his carrier said he is just an average player..somkething to worry about

18. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

I totally disagree. Look at how this coaching staff handles rookies. I would have said the same thing at this point in 2008 with Eric Green and DRC. Nothing to worry about then, and nothing to worry about now.

19. By Dan on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

It was just a little love tap. Beanie is good to go, at least its not a major injury. All is good.

20. By Mike T on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Totally off subject here but youre always good at answering anyway. Right now NFL network is showing a Green Bay scrimmage kinda thing. They have advertized spotlighting all the teams but do you know if the Cards will get anything in depth and if so will you update us as to when?

21. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Mike T —

That I don’t know. If I hear something, I will be sure to let everyone know.

22. By Force Factor on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Thank goodness that Beanie is going to be alright. He is going to end up being the engine to the offense. After watching the video it didn’t look like Abdullah popped him that hard, but without the normal gear that these guys wear I can see how a shoulder to the ribs could leave you bruised. I kind of feel bad for Abdullah because you could see how bad he felt about it during the interview.

23. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

OK, I’ll let him go this time…but ONLY because you said so!

24. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

No, no. Not me. Whiz.

25. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    Your word rules above that of all others.

26. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Please tell my kids that.

2. Aug 9, 2010: Chris Wells leaves field with rib injury | Fantasy Demon
  3. Aug 9, 2010: Chris Wells leaves field with rib injury » Feed Me Fantasy
  4. Aug 9, 2010: Awaiting definitive word on Beanie Wells « Acrylic Sports
  5. Aug 9, 2010: Chris Wells just “sore” after big hit | Fantasy Demon
  6. Aug 9, 2010: Sigh of relief for Cards: Beanie Wells OK « Acrylic Sports
  7. Aug 9, 2010: Chris Wells just "sore" after big hit » Feed Me Fantasy
  8. Aug 10, 2010: Sigh of relief for Cards: Beanie Wells OK | NowSportsLive
  9. Aug 10, 2010: Awaiting definitive word on Beanie Wells | NowSportsLive
  10. Aug 10, 2010: Football Fan Site » Sigh of relief for Cards: Beanie Wells OK
  11. Aug 10, 2010: NFL: Beanie Suffers Scare in Practice | Rumor Zone
  12. Aug 10, 2010: Cardinals RB Wells suffers rib injury, considered day to day | NFL Football