Cards bring Maui’a back once again

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2010 – 7:58 am

Reagan Maui’a is back once again.

The fullback was released right before training camp when rookie linebacker Daryl Washington signed. The Cards already had Nehemiah Broughton and Charles Ali at the position and that was enough. But then Ali hurt his hamstring Friday and was going to be out “a couple weeks,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said Saturday, and that was too long for a team already short at the similar tight end position. So the Cards waived-injured Ali Monday morning and re-signed Maui’a, who was also with the Cards last camp, was cut, and then brought back this offseason.

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “Cards bring Maui’a back once again”

1. By MikeG on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,Hope all is well!!
    Whatever happened to Dan Krieder?? I know he had
    a 1yr deal. Why did the Cards elect not to sign him??
    Was it an injury or an age thing? I thought he blocked
    well toward the end of last year–opening some nice holes for Beanie and Hightower. Being an ex-Steeler
    and having a repoire with Grimm and Whisenhunt–I’m
    surprised he isn’t with the team!!!!

2. By phoenixraven1 on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

wow! glad I’m not a decision maker for the Cards, these cuts are hard!

3. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

Injury thing. Too much of a risk.

4. By Kurt on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

It’s sad a simple statement such as”Injury thing. Too much of a risk” could ruin someone’s career or chance of landing another NFL job. Dan deserves better.

5. By nolan on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

hey D what ever happened to leonard pope. i wasa big fan of the 6 foot 8 tight end of ours

6. By MikeInGilbert on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

The Juggernaut! Glad to see him back. He’s in my book of ‘good guys’ I got to meet at training camp last year.

My son was trying to fill his autograph book with everyone on the camp roster. No easy task! Reagan was at the 50 yard line on the lower field after practice. I think it was his 2nd day there. I said Isaac — that’s Reagan — call out to him! So he did. My son’s 11, and it was breezy, but I guess it carried the right way.

I saw Reagan look in our direction, scanning. Isaac yelled again, a few more times, and Reagan honed in on him, and walked right up to him, asked his name, wrote a few words. Made his day. He also signed my daughter’s shirts. It was pretty cool. So we root for him.

We can’t make it up this year (went last 2), but it’s such a great time. Last year some card’s honcho guy chatted with us while we were in the (long) Kurt Warner signature line…. turns out, wow — Luis Zendejas. Ha, he was great. Boldin impressed with all his signings after practice. Jerheme and Lance — miss those guys. *sigh*.

Anyway: excited about this year.

(And any word on the stitched letters/numbering on the Alternate Black jerseys?? )

Thanks. Love the blog.

Mike

7. By darrel on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Maybe we should call jamal lewsi and if he wants to play fullback

8. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Kurt –

It’s not like Kreider didn’t have a long NFL career. We all get old.

9. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Nolan –

Plays for Todd Haley in K.C.

10. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

MikeInGilbert –

Not sure what you are asking in the black jersey question. Black jerseys are available in authentic just like red/white.

11. By MikeInGilbert on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

My bad. Went back and you’d updated the original question back here: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/05/18/dockett-apologizes/

“MikeInGilbert –

That I do not know. I will ask.

UPDATE:

There are 3 kinds of jerseys available. The “replica” is the least expensive, with all things screened on. There is a new “middle” version called “premier,” which is a hybrid that has name/numbers stitched but the birdhead and workmark are screened. Finally there is an authentic, where everything is stitched.

And to answer your question, the new alternate jersey is now available in all three styles.”

Now — if I can find it online…. my mistake was checking NFLShop.com. Guess I’ll hit up the team store?

12. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

MikeIn –

Hit the button at the bottom of the azcardinals.com homepage, the one with Adrian Wilson saying “Get your new Cardinals jersey now.”

13. By louie dominguez on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Good luck this season cards!!

14. By ShannonRobinson on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I valued Dan Kreider who was a had hitting fullback all year. Exemplary guy who gave his all. This is certainly a break for Mauai’! I think what Reagan really needs is game time which he is very likely to get at the Texans’ game. This is another illustration that the Cards’ roster is a very vibrant 80+ footballplayers whom Mr. Graves will call upon when it’s necessary. We have three Polynesians on our team – hurray! – me and Vai Sikahema are happy.

15. By Ernie on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

The cards need to give Reagan a chance they will not be sorry to keep him now and in the furture. The Polynesians are GREAT players.

16. By andy on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

I was also a big fan of Kreider’s run blocking. I thought I heard that he was not only an injury concern, but he was contemplating retirement at the end of last season.

2. Aug 9, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com