Don’t forget Stevie B, and the depth chart

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2010 – 10:23 pm

After the mini-drama of Beanie this afternoon, a fun little anecdote. Seems wide receiver Steve Breaston was talking about going against Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie this morning, and for the most part, Breaston was praising DRC. Then the question came about getting frustrated going against someone like DRC. Now, Breaston is as mild-mannered and relatively ego-less as they come. But you get to this level, and he couldn’t let it go.

“I don’t get frustrated,” Breaston said. “I beat him sometimes. I ain’t gonna say that, that he locks me down. I get some. I’m not going to short myself here.”

It was noted that DRC was holding Breaston something fierce on a play during the morning practice. “It happens,” Breaston said. “We compete. Lot of people think it’s Larry and DRC out there but we have several other talented receivers, Steven Breaston being one of them.”

Breaston punctuated that statement with a huge laugh. I mentioned the fact he went all third person on us. “I did, I am sorry I went third person,” Breaston said, still smiling. “I got lost in the question. (The reporter) was all over me, I took offense. I’m sorry about that. … I get open. I’ve got to speak a little bit.” Then Breaston paused. “I was watching the Bengals yesterday, and I think that’s what happened. I was watching Chad and T.O. Got caught up in the moment.”

Just don’t forget the Cards’ weapons — Steven Breaston being one of them.

P.S. Just to see where Steven Breaston ranks on his own team, check out the newly released depth chart with the first preseason game approaching. No surprises. John Skelton is third-team QB over Max Hall. Ben Patrick is the official starting tight end. O.J. Jones remains a No. 2 receiver while camp star Stephen Williams still has to prove some things as a fourth-unit wideout. Andre Roberts is officially the top punt returner right now.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Don’t forget Stevie B, and the depth chart”

1. By mike b on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

good to see Marshay as a second PR I was hoping he was doing something same with Baggs but that may be due to injury. Also I noticed that Mougey was placed on other (does that mean PS). Sorry about the mougey questions he Baggs Marshay and Muhtadi (not anymore since his departure) were the people I rooted for to get on the depth chart.

2. By Logan Cooper on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

This first depth chart means nothing until we see what players can do in pre-season games. My guess is after the first and second games whoever steps up will be placed where they performed.

I am surprised skelton is ahead of hall though, I haven’t been to flagstaff yet, but from what i have read he has really outplayed him.

3. By BigRedFan on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love the miracle baby!!!

4. By darrenurban on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

Mike B —

If a player is underneath someone in the fourth spot, that means they are fifth.

5. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 9, 2010 | Reply

What’s up with Calvin? Haven’t heard much about him. He is behind Green? Is it possible to say that both Calvin and Dray are long shots to make the team?

I know it’s way early but kind of worried about the depth in this draft the Cards just had. Dray, Calvin, Skelton.=nothing in the late rounds… Obviously the wild card is Schofield. The Cards in the past have seemed to have been really good in the late rounds.

6. By Force Factor on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

It will be interesting to see how things shake out at receiver and linebacker. I dont think Gant stands a chance and if Williams continues to step up, then OJ may very well be the odd man out and that is if the decide to keep 6. The biggest question at LB is how many do you carry. I just can’t see them holding on to 10 LB’s. Schoefield can go to IR, but who do you get rid of if you want to keep Baggs or Togafau.

On the offensive line, they will probably not go more than 8. Hadnot, Deuce, and HJ should all make the team. Which leaves bridges and Claxton out in the cold, unless the turk decides that deuce is going to start and they decide to release Wells. At least any of the OL guys that get cut should be picked up immediately by another team as we have a lot of depth here.

7. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

If the depth chart puts Green ahead, then Green is ahead right now.

8. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Should be some interesting roster spot battles between the younger guys like Marshay Green and AJ Jefferson, Onrea Jones and Stephen Williams, and Skelton and Hall.
    I’m a little fuzzy on the parameters for making the Practice Squad. Darren, can you provide your usual wisdom on what the determining factors are and the likely suspects?

9. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

A player can’t have more than two accrued seasons. He would have to be cut and make it through waivers and not be claimed by another team, and then the Cards would invite him back. Other than that, it’s how the team wants to break down the eight spots. Until we play preseason games, it’s too hard to know what guys make the most sense.

10. By Jcaswellsr on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

S. Phantom looks sooo funny when he runs. Like a little kid. Just had to put that out there. Lol.

11. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Thank you sir, may I have another?
    So Stevie Baggs, all of 28 years old and CFL experience, could go on the PS if not claimed? And OBrien Schofeld, on the PUP , could make it also?
    I’d find it hard to believe Skelton or Hall wouldn’t be picked up if waived. Is there some kind of unwritten “courtesy” about teams taking other teams “favorites” from the wire?

12. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

Baggs yes. Schofield will never clear waivers. No, no courtesy. It’s a dog-eat-dog league. That said, let’s say Hall is cut. Unless a team is willing to put him on the 53-man roster — a long shot because he will have not spent any time in their offense — they would only offer him a PS spot themselves. And I would guess Hall, given a choice, would stay on the PS of the team that had him through camp.

13. By Wampag on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey D- hope all is well I was on a little hiatus from sports after the FLYERS lost..I had a question and I feel bad about not remembering but the draft pick from last year who ran the kickoff or punt back (think that was the same person I know The Hyphen ran one back) that broke his arm in pre-season and was out all last year who was that?

14. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

That’s not ringing a bell. Anyone else?

15. By lp on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

i seen Marshay green in the cotton bowl hold Micheal Crabtree to four catches with a pic6 and punt return fa touchdown

16. By Wampag on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

D- do you have a list of last years draft picks I know he was 3 or 4 or 5….also did you hear about Revis…crazy world but I doubt that hightower rumor…please tell me you doubt the Hightower rumor too

17. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Here is last year’s list:
    1. 31 Chris Wells RB Ohio State
    2. 63 Cody Brown OLB UConn
    3. 95 Rashad Johnson S Alabama
    4. 131 Gregory Toler CB St. Pauls College
    5. 167 Herman Johnson OG LSU
    6. 204 Will Davis OLB Illinois
    7a. 240 LaRod Stephens-Howling RB Pittsburgh
    7b. 254 Trevor Canfield OG Cincinnati

And no, I haven’t heard any rumors on Hightower at all. Where did you see it?

18. By Wampag on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

D- I have a reporter friend in NY Jets are “messing” with Revis however he told me that Cromartie has really impressed and the Jets like Hightower as a washington replacement and if they were going to trade they want way out of division and away from serious media outlets, no offense.

did Johnson got hurt last year, this is driving me crazy I can remember the picture on the website he broke his hand or wrist in preseason week 2or3 and had looked outstanding up until that point he spent the rest of the year on IR learning

19. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Brown was hurt last year after breaking his wrist in the preseason.

20. By Wampag on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

D- thank you I knew it was a high pick how does he look this year?

21. By darrenurban on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Whisenhunt just said today he was doing well.

22. By Eazy E on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Gotta like the swag from breaston and DRC looks bigger too.

23. By Eazy E on Aug 10, 2010 | Reply

Yea DRC is bigger in the upper body.

24. By card62 on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

I see a few changes in the chart down the road, but I will not be upset if we cut our later draft picks. Just want the best players and we signed several in the offseason and several rookie free agents so if they make our team to me it is the same as a late round draft pick making our team.

QB will be the interesting choice Production today or Potential tomorrow?

I think we keep 9 OL or trade one and I think we keep Branch and Watson or trade one.

Houston is a good tough physical team so I llok forward to the game this Saturday.

25. By Scotty on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

AZ’s got it this year baby!

2. Aug 11, 2010: Around the NFC West: Defending Leavy | NowSportsLive