Roster moves, a sellout and a flight to Canton

Posted by Darren Urban on August 11, 2010 – 5:42 pm

It was a relatively quiet and low-key practice this afternoon. Matt Leinart looked good in the red zone including a strike for a touchdown, John Skelton looked, well, raw (two straight picks by LB Mark Washington and S Aaron Rouse). And Derek Anderson threw a beautiful over-the-shoulder deep ball to Larry Fitzgerald.

WR Steve Breaston (knee) remained out, as did DT Alan Branch (hip flexor). Wide receiver Ed Gant was added to the injured list; he was sporting a walking boot on his right foot.

On to the other news o’ the day:

– There will be no practice Friday morning in Flagstaff, so anyone thinking about attending this week, tomorrow afternoon is the last workout. The Cards will be back to work Monday afternoon at NAU following Saturday’s preseason opener in Glendale.

– That game against the Texans, by the way, is a sellout. So it will be broadcast on local TV (ABC-15).

– The Cardinals were forced to make a roster move by waiving-injured DL Keilen Dykes (torn tricep tendon) and signing undrafted rookie John Fletcher, who was with the Ravens briefly. It’s a tough thing for Dykes, who worked his butt off coming back from a torn biceps muscle in November. He’s a very good guy and was at the facility it seems every week this summer.

– Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan, the longest tenured active pro athlete in the Valley, will serve as honorary captain for Saturday’s game.

– Finally, a video has been posted chronicling the trip made by team president/pilot Michael Bidwill, owner Bill Bidwill, coach Ken Whisenhunt, and fellow coaches on their trip Saturday from Flagstaff and the team’s Red-White practice out to Canton, where they surprised Hall of Fame inductee Russ Grimm. Included are some in-flight anecdotes from Grimm’s cohorts on their Hall-bound friend.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Roster moves, a sellout and a flight to Canton”

1. By Tyrelle on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

Wow. Sell Out- Real nice

2. By JoeVero on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Do you know if any of the preseason games will be played on NFL network or if nfl.com will show highlights?

3. By LadyCard04 on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren

I just watched the video…is there any sound? Pictures were great but hope you can fix the audio.

Thanks for all your work getting us these wonderful stories, pictures and videos.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

JoeVero —

I am sure NFL Net will show them tape delayed. I would guess NFL.com will have highlights.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard —

If you are talking about the Canton video, it was only up for a few minutes, I can’t believe you saw it already. We are fixing it now.

6. By k. on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

dykes deserves better period! man that f’ing pisses me off although i do get it’s a business.

oh & double D or 9 oh needs to get PAID now not later!

7. By LadyCard04 on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

Yup, I saw it. You left AZ in the rain, right?

8. By blake on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

absolutely AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEESOME video
    AGAIN CONGRATULATIONS RUSS

9. By brad oneill on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

fantastic video that shows just what a great family the Bidwills really are. i have seen some of their charity work and other stuff they do quietly that makes peoples lives better and it is one of the reasons i am a fan. Congratulations Russ now why dont you get busy making some future hall of famers out of that bunch you have now. ;)

10. By John on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

That was really first class, hats off to the organization!!

11. By ChrisH479 on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I’ve got an off topic question here but i’m curious; how’s Stevie Baggs looking? I’m really pullin for the guy and just wanna know what the coaches are saying about him and how he’s doin on the field. thanks a ton Darren.

12. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

That’s really too bad for Dykes. It seems like every year he does something well and just has some tough luck. Poor guy, I hope it works out for him and he doesn’t give up.

Is Dykes practice squad eligible still?

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

ChrisH479 –

The coaches aren’t saying much now. They want to see him in the games.

14. By CZarr on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

Just wanted to say, Deconstructing Dockett was a great piece. Keep up the great work.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

I think he is.

16. By Logan Cooper on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

The video crew we have had for the last couple years has continued to improve and put out very professionally done videos.
    I know as a fan, I appreciate the stellar quality of all of them so far, I remember they used to be very hodge podge.
    So tell the crew we love them and to keep them coming.

17. By OLdude on Aug 11, 2010 | Reply

What a nice “feel good” story which confirms the positive chemistry throughout the organization. Surprising Grimm in Canton and Grimms “…..against his will..” speech are classics. I see good things ahead in 2010 for the birds.

18. By Skiptim on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Did you notice Leinart seeming all jolly and swaggaliscious in the 8/11 presser compared to others? That was cool to watch and for some reason he just seemed really “cool” to me.

19. By CK London UK Cards fan on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Great video lovely surprise for Russ! Nice to see ‘my team’ like family taking time & trouble to go to Canton. I have played this video to UK friends to show them the good spirit and organisation of this splendid franchise. They WERE impressed. Good luck v. Houston and for the upcoming season. GO CARDS!!

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim —

We are finally getting closer to playing in an actual game. If I were him after this offseason, I’d feel that way too.

21. By card62 on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Organization moving in the right direction for years. Not perfect but I have followed the team for 40 years and never better than the last few seasons.

Glad all of you in the valley will be able to watch the game live as I am in beautiful East Tennessee and will not be able to watch the game until Monday night. I believe NFL network is showing the Cardinal – Texans game Monday morning at 1 AM so I have the DVR set to record.

Go Cards

22. By Deveau on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

A chance for speculation on your part. Based on what you see now regarding personnel, what do you feel the top 3 draft picks will be, position-wise?

Kind regards,

Cris

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

Wait. Are you talking about for the 2011 draft? Wow. Let’s wait. For instance, if Leinart falters, they will be looking at a QB. If not, they won’t. Too early. What if Beanie, God forbid, has a career-ending injury? They’ll need an RB, and I’d say that’s not an issue right now.

24. By Clay on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Just wanted to let you know the behind the scences video was awesome!!! Tell Mr. B to keep doing that stuff. Gives the fans a great insight. As a pilot it was great to see such a great video! Thanks again.
    BTW where were you!!!

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Clay —

I was actually getting to spend a day or two with my family.

26. By Scott H on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of the Texans…I say this only because just as NFL teams have to constantly think in terms of the future, I think it’s OK for us fans to do the same. Here goes – if ( and I said IF ) it doesn’t work out with Matt Leinart here, Matt Schaub is THE QB I would love to see wearing Cardinal red. And maybe he can bring his buddy, Owen Daniels, with him! Assuming the Texans don’t give him an extended deal, isn’t Schaub’s contract up after this season?

27. By nmcard on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

quik question , Im sure you have already stated somewhere , but is the game going to be on any other station besides ch 15 , Im a season ticket holder with 4 seats , but I cannot make it Sat, Im in 8 hrs away in Northern New Mexico , be there for all the rest though , my lucky friends are getting my tickets thanks

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

The Texans aren’t letting Schaub go anywhere. Pro Bowl QB? Just like Brady isn’t leaving the Pats or Manning the Colts.

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

NMCard —

I don’t know if it will be live anywhere else. NFL Network is replaying it next week, and FSN Arizona replays it Sunday.

30. By Scott H on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Well, I was afraid of that. I was actually hoping the Cardinals would make a move to get Schaub when he was available from Atlanta years ago. He had had a chance to play a good bit when Vick was hurt and you could see it then – this guy could play. I felt like I saw then exactly what he has turned out to be. But he went to Houston, and the Cards drafted Leinart. I’m certainly NOT complaining because I wouldn’t trade Warner’s ressurection and the Cards’ Super Bowl run for anything. But I will always wonder what could have been had Schaub ever landed here instead. Hey, who knows…maybe Leinart will make me glad things turned out the way they did. That’s what I’m REALLY hoping for.

31. By Scott H on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Addendum – Obviously, we agree that Schaub is a darn good QB, but putting him right up there with Brady and Manning??? I’d say that’s going a little too far at this point…

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I am not saying he is as good. But he is a franchise QB in a league where your team needs one.